ADVERTISEMENT

RBY

No matter what happens or how many times rby shoots I predict a minimum 50% of the posters on this board claim he was stalling the whole time. If rby somehow pulls off the upset that number goes up from 50% to 80%.
Just keep in mind you're dealing with sloppy, fat, lazy wrestling fans that did absolutely nothing in their wrestling careers. People like that calling ANY D1 wrestler a pansy is moronic. Also remember these are the same people that cried for 3 years that Zain Retherford stalled. Just think about that for a minute. And btw, they would have done it for a 4th year but somehow realized presenting themselves as complete idiots probably isn't the greatest thing in the world to do..

Last edited:
Reactions: Law-Deezie
I love how some idiots that have not wrestled a competitive match in their lives will come here and try and prove points.
If they had any clue on what Gable would say about their Pansy ass wrestling, he would call stalling on his own athlete and then bench them until the worked the Pansy out of them!
Its to bad they did not know what wrestling was until 10 years ago.

Reactions: fufighters
D2O2eeZU8AAw2KW.jpg

Just keep in mind you're dealing with sloppy, fat, lazy wrestling fans that did absolutely nothing in their wrestling careers. People like that calling ANY D1 wrestler a pansy is moronic. Also remember these are the same people that cried for 3 years that Zain Rutherford stalled. Just think about that for a minute. And btw, they would have done it for a 4th year but somehow realized presenting themselves as complete idiots probably isn't the greatest thing in the world to do..

I want to make sure I understand your criteria on expressing an opinion. In order to have an opinion on a D1 wrestler you must have had success as a D1 wrestler. Interesting criteria, unless I have been a Dr. I can’t have an opinion when a Dr amputates the wrong leg. Man, this board and all boards would be boring

I want to make sure I understand your criteria on expressing an opinion. In order to have an opinion on a D1 wrestler you must have had success as a D1 wrestler. Interesting criteria, unless I have been a Dr. I can’t have an opinion when a Dr amputates the wrong leg. Man, this board and all boards would be boring
You go by whatever criteria you'd like and I'll do the same. That being so, I still contend that someone calling ANY person that reached the level of D1 in the toughest sport in the world a pansy is...well....it's just straight up dumb.

I don’t know why I’m even bothering posting this because I already know how it will be received, especially with the match happening this week. This is going to go like the impeachment trial, everyone thinks what they think and no one will switch sides. However, I know this match has been discussed ad nauseam. The act of putting his arm behind his back in itself is not stalling, it is strategy. I would argue that it worked the way it was supposed to. In that match Austin didn’t know what to do without the under hook. It was like he was dumbfounded without his go to. I would also argue that the real take down attempts in that match were 4-3 in favor of RBY. Times based on the clip in this thread, the first takedown was initiated by RBY. AD had a shrug at 2:13. RBY had a shrug at 2:24 and AD had an attempt at 3:00. Most of the action in the first period was in the center, mostly circling.

There was not one actually shot attempt by either party in the second. Again in my opinion action was mostly centered and circling.

RBY was correctly hit for stalling at 7:02. He had a shot attempt at 7:09 and again at 12:26. The final flurry kinda started at 13:10. I don’t count RBY’s fake shot as an attempt and I’ll give one for AD because he got the final takedown. That’s 4-3.

I don’t understand where the cry for egregious stalling is coming from. Watching the match and analyzing it that’s how I see it. Feel free to tell me I’m wrong.

Reactions: Kuch96
I don’t know why I’m even bothering posting this because I already know how it will be received, especially with the match happening this week. This is going to go like the impeachment trial, everyone thinks what they think and no one will switch sides. However, I know this match has been discussed ad nauseam. The act of putting his arm behind his back in itself is not stalling, it is strategy. I would argue that it worked the way it was supposed to. In that match Austin didn’t know what to do without the under hook. It was like he was dumbfounded without his go to. I would also argue that the real take down attempts in that match were 4-3 in favor of RBY. Times based on the clip in this thread, the first takedown was initiated by RBY. AD had a shrug at 2:13. RBY had a shrug at 2:24 and AD had an attempt at 3:00. Most of the action in the first period was in the center, mostly circling.

There was not one actually shot attempt by either party in the second. Again in my opinion action was mostly centered and circling.

RBY was correctly hit for stalling at 7:02. He had a shot attempt at 7:09 and again at 12:26. The final flurry kinda started at 13:10. I don’t count RBY’s fake shot as an attempt and I’ll give one for AD because he got the final takedown. That’s 4-3.

I don’t understand where the cry for egregious stalling is coming from. Watching the match and analyzing it that’s how I see it. Feel free to tell me I’m wrong.
The cry comes from the combination of not presenting himself combined with not trying to create any action of his own. He stalled his arse off in this match. If he figured a way to both keep one arm behind his back and actually wrestle there would be no arguments here.

anytime he actually tried to wrestle he got outwrestled. He tried to shorten the match and the ref let him. He will try to do it again until the refs stop him or Desanto solves the arm behind the back issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chuck C and Wink8

Stalling is also strategic even though there’s rules to minimize it.

No, it is stalling. What kind of offense can you create with one arm behind your back?

Reactions: Wink8
The cry comes from the combination of not presenting himself combined with not trying to create any action or his own. He stalled his arse off in this match. If he figured a way to both keep one arm behind his back and actually wrestle there would be not arguments here.

anytime he actually tried to wrestle he got outwrestled. He tried to shorten the match and the ref let him.

That’s why I posted they way in did. He did try to shorten the match. My argument has two points. First, RBY won the scoring attempts battle (not on the scoreboard but when tallying “attempts”) and second, Austin did not create action of his own (as shown by “attempts”) either if for no other reason than in this match he didn’t know what to do without the under hook.

Look I’m not trying to sway any predictions. I think AD the way they both look today probably beats him 80 - 90 % of the time. I just believe that in this match the stalling was called appropriately.

A lot of things can happen. It’ll be an exciting meet that we’re all lucky to be a part of. I expect you guys to handle us pretty convincingly tbh but it’s an opportunity for both teams to see where they’re at. Hopefully after this I’m higher on my team than I am today. Here’s to everyone staying healthy.

Reactions: Twoooooooo
No, it is stalling. What kind of offense can you create with one arm behind your back?

He had 3 shot attempts and a shrug by with an arm behind his back. Which is one more than AD by my count. I’m not going to bicker. Just tried to show a rebuttal with some data instead of just because I said so which these tend to turn into.

I'm curious, you said that RBY was correctly called for stalling. What do you feel was the difference in that point of the match vs the rest because to me it seemed like the exact same position that we had watched all match.

Reactions: Wink8 and Grip220
I don’t know why I’m even bothering posting this because I already know how it will be received, especially with the match happening this week. This is going to go like the impeachment trial, everyone thinks what they think and no one will switch sides. However, I know this match has been discussed ad nauseam. The act of putting his arm behind his back in itself is not stalling, it is strategy.
Stalling is a strategy. And putting one's arm out of use, blocking with the other, and backing up, all create the perfect caldron of stalling.

The biggest stalling is when he took the huge fake injury timeout with the slightest possible bump on the table.
The second is when Cael, knowing the TD was not scored, acted surprised after all that time from "injury" and threw the brick.

At least Decatur presented himself and tried to compete. I have more respect for him in the way he lost then RBY

Decatur presented himself like a dead squirrel in the street for over half that match.

In order to beat DeSanto, you need to be able to ride him and that's not a strength for RBY. Austin's gas tank is going to be a real problem for him on Friday night. I am less than optimistic.

I'm curious, you said that RBY was correctly called for stalling. What do you feel was the difference in that point of the match vs the rest because to me it seemed like the exact same position that we had watched all match.

I feel it was more related to the feet than the action up top. If you have the volume up you even hear the official say something regarding out of bounds. The difference to me is where the action happens. If RBY circles in there instead of allowing himself to get pushed out of bounds I don’t believe it gets called at all. You are allowed to back up to some degree in wrestling. It’s not like everyone is moving forward every second of every match. When you are taking a step back or two in the center of the mat and then circling for position, to me it is different then allowing yourself to back up out of bounds. Especially when the out of bounds can easily be avoided by circling.

Reactions: jrod65
I agree with others who say a hand behind the back is stalling. Stalling is defined as "not wrestling aggressively in all positions (top, bottom, and neutral)" and "wrestlers attempting to avoid wrestling action as an offensive or defensive strategy".

I appreciate your level headed post, and data provided. My contention, as I pointed out in my prior post, is the very definition of stalling is "wrestlers attempting to avoid wrestling action as an offensive or defensive strategy". He's clearly avoiding wrestling action.

The hand behind the back is similar to wrestling from the knees in my opinion. It’s possible to be offensive from both but it does help prevent action. It can definitely be stalling but lots of officials won’t call it so Desanto has to figure out how to score other ways if RBY does it. I am sure they will be prepared for it this time.

Tailgate I don’t necessarily disagree and John I think that is a good way to look at it. I think IMO Austin’s lack of offense in that match actually prevented more stall calls. I said before the action in itself is not stalling. I will stand by that however if on Friday RBY comes in with the same approach and AD is banging 3,4,5 shots in a row because he finds another way to be offensive then I believe the stall call is made. In the previous match there was not enough offense by either party to warrant a stall call on RBY just based on his arm placement. As a D1 wrestler you should have more in your offensive arsenal than an under hook to a fireman. In that match he didn’t. This year it looks like he has made those adjustments. It’s okay that it’s still your go to but you need something else if it’s not there.

Reactions: TailgateTom
Tailgate I don’t necessarily disagree and John I think that is a good way to look at it. I think IMO Austin’s lack of offense in that match actually prevented more stall calls. I said before the action in itself is not stalling. I will stand by that however if on Friday RBY comes in with the same approach and AD is banging 3,4,5 shots in a row because he finds another way to be offensive then I believe the stall call is made. In the previous match there was not enough offense by either party to warrant a stall call on RBY just based on his arm placement. As a D1 wrestler you should have more in your offensive arsenal than an under hook to a fireman. In that match he didn’t. This year it looks like he has made those adjustments. It’s okay that it’s still your go to but you need something else if it’s not there.
while somewhat true it is a silly way for you and any ref to look at it. Backing start out of bounds also makes it very hard for the other wrestler to shoot and score and why it is called stalling. This is similar. Just like if you did a Russian tie and did nothing with it for a while match. Same thing

while somewhat true it is a silly way for you and any ref to look at it. Backing start out of bounds also makes it very hard for the other wrestler to shoot and score and why it is called stalling. This is similar. Just like if you did a Russian tie and did nothing with it for a while match. Same thing

I am a high school football official. I’m not a wrestling official because unfortunately it conflicts with my sons hockey season however I want to give you this reference to think about because I can at least relate to how officials are taught to think. The ball is snapped and an offense and defensive lineman come together. In this scenario say the offensive lineman is “holding” per the rulebook, the defensive lineman. The DL makes no attempt to get away from the OL or any effort to go after the ball carrier. Do you call the holding? I will tell you that 90 times out of 100 that’s not getting called. I think this relates to how I’m trying to translate AD’s inaction. By AD’s lack of action, RBY’s “stalling” does not get called.

I am a high school football official. I’m not a wrestling official because unfortunately it conflicts with my sons hockey season however I want to give you this reference to think about because I can at least relate to how officials are taught to think. The ball is snapped and an offense and defensive lineman come together. In this scenario say the offensive lineman is “holding” per the rulebook, the defensive lineman. The DL makes no attempt to get away from the OL or any effort to go after the ball carrier. Do you call the holding? I will tell you that 90 times out of 100 that’s not getting called. I think this relates to how I’m trying to translate AD’s inaction. By AD’s lack of action, RBY’s “stalling” does not get called.

Not a good parallel, if for other reason than You can’t possibly say AD was “inactive.”

Plus, in wrestling you must be presenting yourself and aggressively looking to score. When RBY wrestled AD he was not presenting himself and he was not aggressively trying to score; whereas AD was.

I would also argue that the real take down attempts in that match were 4-3 in favor of RBY.

Stalling must be a PA thing. Jason Nolf wrestled my son at camp. My son had 6 shots to Nolf Zero attempts. Nolf was sooooo much stalling. I had to get this on video.... my kid bringing it to Jason Nolf!
Nolf saw me filming and said loudly "smile for the camera" then then threw my son to his back and pinned him. :eek:

Actually this is a true story...except for the stalling BS :)

Not providing the arm is no less stalling that not providing the left leg in a right leg lead stance. The rest of RBY's lack of initiating offense is stalling.

Not a good parallel, if for other reason than You can’t possibly say AD was “inactive.”

Plus, in wrestling you must be presenting yourself and aggressively looking to score. When RBY wrestled AD he was not presenting himself and he was not aggressively trying to score; whereas AD was.

This is the type of argument that I’ve been trying to avoid myself. No offense but where is your evidence. You’re stating opinions. As I stated in a previous post, I have scoring attempts at 4-3 for RBY. My parallel is not to say that AD was completely inactive it is to say they were equally inactive, or equally active if you want to be a glass half full person, so you’re not going to get the call. You can’t say RBY way not aggressively trying to score when he presented himself more times, even if 1 more time, than AD. If you want to argue scoring attempts please feel free to correct my number and show me where Austin had more initiated attempts.

This is why I believe if Friday scoring attempts are say 15-3 for AD you’re going to get the stall call. In the previous match that was not the case.

AD’s offense has jumped to another level since these two met. Last year he was a bit of a 1 trick pony with his carry but he has shown tremendous versatility this year. He can hit his high-c on anyone regardless if he has his favorite tie or not. Case in point Gross, who successfully kept Austin out of it most of the time but still wasn’t able to prevent him from getting off really good shots. RBY can put his arms wherever the hell he likes. I doubt it will stymie AD’s offense this time around.

This is the type of argument that I’ve been trying to avoid myself. No offense but where is your evidence. You’re stating opinions. As I stated in a previous post, I have scoring attempts at 4-3 for RBY. My parallel is not to say that AD was completely inactive it is to say they were equally inactive, or equally active if you want to be a glass half full person, so you’re not going to get the call. You can’t say RBY way not aggressively trying to score when he presented himself more times, even if 1 more time, than AD. If you want to argue scoring attempts please feel free to correct my number and show me where Austin had more initiated attempts.

This is why I believe if Friday scoring attempts are say 15-3 for AD you’re going to get the stall call. In the previous match that was not the case.

It’s not an opinion that holding an arm behind your back is strictly a defensive posture and therefor NOT aggressively trying to score points.

It’s also not an opinion that taking shots is NOT the only thing that counts as trying to score. Austin was constantly trying to move RBY; pushing, snapping, trying to get him out of position. RBY did none of that. He was strictly in defense mode.

If Austin just kept taking reckless shots without setups against a guy looking to do nothing, he would be rewarding RBY for his passivity because he’d probably get countered.

To set a guy up the opponent has to fully present himself.

This isn’t stalling. Wth
I tend to agree that putting his arm behind his back, by itself isnt stalling. Depends what he does while his arm is there.

If I stagger my right leg and circle away from your attack the entire match, is that stalling? Again it depends on what you are doing while circling with that stance.

Now do I think RBY was stalling during his matches vs AD last year at Big Tens and NCAAs? Yes, but not solely based on him playing keep away with his left arm

Edit: There is a fine line sometimes between purposely and clearly slowing down a match and stalling. Subjective and all depends on the refs interpretation

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT