ADVERTISEMENT

Roll Call - who’s still up and going to watch Spencer?

Micic is a clown, he will be humbled also, but I dont expect him to make it very far

Micics take on Spencer is non sensical and makes him look like a fool, BUT he is not to be under estimated. Dude beat some real monsters in route to his world title. Guys that Gilman could not beat in his Olympic run. Gilmans world title didn’t have a field with the top russian or top guy from Japan. Micic’s did.

He should be approached as the reigning world champ. Not a chump.

Micics take on Spencer is non sensical and makes him look like a fool, BUT he is not to be under estimated. Dude beat some real monsters in route to his world title. Guys that Gilman could not beat in his Olympic run. Gilmans world title didn’t have a field with the top russian or top guy from Japan. Micic’s did.

He’s a chump

2018 he took a Senior World Bronze. It is on the UWW Website. Impressive he placed top 5 again in 2022.
Again, this is wrong. I'm currently in the UWW page looking at.

2018 Senior U23 World Bronze, not Senior World Bronze.

Directly under his name click on "Results" and take a gander. Truly doesn't matter though, he's a legit medal threat at the Olympics.

He’s a chump
lol - can’t help but feel I’m being trolled a little but although I think Spencer is the best in the world at 57kg freestyle - Micic beat Uguev (Olympic champ) and higuchi(medalist) - Zou was also in this bracket(the guy that took Spencer to the final seconds 10-9 yesterday).

Maybe chump not the right word…

How about clown?

I'm incredibly proud of the run Zain went on today. It is so great to see both guys get the job done! It was also really cool to see our two fan bases come together on both boards and cheer both guys on! I really like the team we are sending to Paris!
It's pretty hard to root against Zain. Incredible run today. Team is my favorite in years. I would not be surprised if all six brought home a medal.

I agree, Micic is tough and has a good shot at medaling. I favor Spencer in that match and would love to see it. You have to wonder if Micic overlooking Spencer like that wasn't just him subconsciously hoping that Spencer wouldn't get through the gauntlet and qualify to be the US rep.

He’s a chump
I still find it very weird that Micic - who looked like dead man walking at the Olympics trying to make 57 - then looked like a beast in his “home” country Serbia at the same weight when it hosted the Worlds. A country where the current UWW president hails from. I don’t know - I grew up in the 70s and 80s and don’t trust the old Eastern Bloc at all

I agree, Micic is tough and has a good shot at medaling. I favor Spencer in that match and would love to see it. You have to wonder if Micic overlooking Spencer like that wasn't just him subconsciously hoping that Spencer wouldn't get through the gauntlet and qualify to be the US rep.
Yes - just getting through the trials is a beast - you gotta beat fix, Suriano, Gilman, and on and on. Then since our guys don’t compete very often you gotta qualify the weight … rough

Reactions: BGon4ND
I'm incredibly proud of the run Zain went on today. It is so great to see both guys get the job done! It was also really cool to see our two fan bases come together on both boards and cheer both guys on! I really like the team we are sending to Paris!

I hear Zain is an all around good guy and was rooting hard for him. When he slipped on the banana peel in the last cycle, it surprised the hell out of me and I know he had to feel awful. So it made sense that he had to take the hardest freaking route to qualify and he did the damn thing. Back when he was at PSU, I would bitch about his hands to the face but now I hardly notice...seriously, it must suck to have to wrestle him for that reason alone. At one point, I think the last guy just had to lower his head and take it. I think he was the one who gave Zain some extra mustard across the face going out of bounds after the whistle blew. Also, love that Zain never let's a good Turk go to waste.

When he wrestled Mongolia, I thought maybe he was just off but that dude is just that good. I think Zain's weight cut was fine. If he can come into the Olympics feeling good, I think he can make anything happen.

I still find it very weird that Micic - who looked like dead man walking at the Olympics trying to make 57 - then looked like a beast in his “home” country Serbia at the same weight when it hosted the Worlds. A country where the current UWW president hails from. I don’t know - I grew up in the 70s and 80s and don’t trust the old Eastern Bloc at all

I've heard a couple of people allude that he didn't have to make weight which seems kinda crazy to me.

This is what you are referring to, correct? He is "technically" correct but man...kind of sounded like he was trying to convince himself by minimizing Nico.

The minimizing Nico aspect is 100% where he’s being disingenuous acting like he’s not counting out/overlooking Spencer. Saying Nico was a “big win” for Spencer and then following it up by saying that Nico’s “just been showing up” and works a job. I chalked it up to some of these top guys who have been at the light weight for years during the same time as Spencer probably have a bit of envy over the attention Spencer’s gotten compared to them, especially while he’s been away from the freestyle scene

Like the infamous East German women swimmers with the manly voices and massive muscles and East German track star Marita Koch who ran a 400 time so fast it hasn't been remotely challenged in almost forty years? You don't seem very trusting : ) If you place your cursor over the below photo you can scroll right to see a picture of Koch.

Last edited:
Reactions: TNTwrestle
The minimizing Nico aspect is 100% where he’s being disingenuous acting like he’s not counting out/overlooking Spencer. Saying Nico was a “big win” for Spencer and then following it up by saying that Nico’s “just been showing up” and works a job. I chalked it up to some of these top guys who have been at the light weight for years during the same time as Spencer probably have a bit of envy over the attention Spencer’s gotten compared to them, especially while he’s been away from the freestyle scene

Yea…he seemed to favor the “field” and to be fair to him, this was in late spring 2023 so if we were to just look at what happened at NCAAs and SL defaulting out of both tourneys then ok. My quote would have been this: “Oh sure, a fully healthy SL will be very difficult to deal with” or something like that. He was right…Spencer saved his first period TFs for the international guys.

I like Nico so that was kinda douchey imo.

I am 100% a Zain fan and behind him the entire way. Complete gut check and he deserves to be our guy at 65kg Go Team USA

Like the infamous East German women swimmers with the manly voices and massive muscles and East German track star Marita Koch who ran a 400 time so fast it hasn't been remotely challenged in almost forty years? You don't seem very trusting : ) If you place your cursor over the below photo you can scroll right to see a picture of Koch.
I’m a huge swimming fan - easily swam 1500+ miles over the years of practice - and am still pissed about the 1976 Olympics. US Star Shirley Babashoff saw these East German “girls” in the shower and voiced her doubts and she was heavily criticized. She had the last laugh.

“After the 1976 Olympics, Babashoff was occasionally referred to as "Surly Shirley" and described as a "sore loser" by the media because of her public accusations of drug cheating by the East German swimmers. To her credit, she was later proven correct-that most East German athletes were using performance-enhancing drugs, substantiated by investigators in the PBS documentary, "Secrets of the Dead: Doping for Gold."[2][12] By 1991, several media reports vindicated Shirley's accusations of doping, including the widely circulated New York Times, that featured the headlines, "Coaches Confirm That Steroids Fueled East Germany's Success in Swimming". Most of the East German women's team were listed in the article. It is estimated that Babashoff was denied three gold medals as a result of cheating by East Germany.[2]

In the mid to late-90's, when German news agencies released more detailed information confirming the East Germans had a government-sponsored doping program for their 1976 women's swimming team and other athletes, the American Olympic committee considered giving "upgrade medals" to Americans who had lost to East German athletes confirmed of taking banned substances. However, Jacques Rogge, an IOC committee member from Belgium disapproved of the idea as he felt too much time had passed to make the change. The 1976 American Olympic 4x100 meter Women's medley relay team, in which Shirley had participated in Montreal and taken a silver, were given "appropriate medal recognition", however.“

I’m a huge swimming fan - easily swam 1500+ miles over the years of practice - and am still pissed about the 1976 Olympics. US Star Shirley Babashoff saw these East German “girls” in the shower and voiced her doubts and she was heavily criticized. She had the last laugh.

“After the 1976 Olympics, Babashoff was occasionally referred to as "Surly Shirley" and described as a "sore loser" by the media because of her public accusations of drug cheating by the East German swimmers. To her credit, she was later proven correct-that most East German athletes were using performance-enhancing drugs, substantiated by investigators in the PBS documentary, "Secrets of the Dead: Doping for Gold."[2][12] By 1991, several media reports vindicated Shirley's accusations of doping, including the widely circulated New York Times, that featured the headlines, "Coaches Confirm That Steroids Fueled East Germany's Success in Swimming". Most of the East German women's team were listed in the article. It is estimated that Babashoff was denied three gold medals as a result of cheating by East Germany.[2]

In the mid to late-90's, when German news agencies released more detailed information confirming the East Germans had a government-sponsored doping program for their 1976 women's swimming team and other athletes, the American Olympic committee considered giving "upgrade medals" to Americans who had lost to East German athletes confirmed of taking banned substances. However, Jacques Rogge, an IOC committee member from Belgium disapproved of the idea as he felt too much time had passed to make the change. The 1976 American Olympic 4x100 meter Women's medley relay team, in which Shirley had participated in Montreal and taken a silver, were given "appropriate medal recognition", however.“

61fRqb-EZuL._SL1500_.jpg

I agree - I remember thinking how crazy the difference in size was with betweem him and Uguev lol.

Screenshot-2024-05-13-at-10-14-57-AM.png
I can’t find any Micic footage from the Olympics. If I remember correctly, he didn’t just die, he died like 40 seconds into his first match - no resistance at all

• Haha
Reactions: vhsalum
There is no way Micic made 57kg in serbia and everyone knows it.
This wont happen in Paris and we will see the results, if Micic makes weight he falls early, bank it!
how would this work in practice? don't all the participants at the weight weigh in at the same time on the same scale?

Reactions: Trapper85
how would this work in practice? don't all the participants at the weight weigh in at the same time on the same scale?
It was in Serbia and the head of the UWW is from Serbia. They needed him to do well, he is like a celebrity there now. Smoke and poof yup he weighed in, done and done. He looked like a full sized 141lber it was blantantly obvious.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT