ADVERTISEMENT

Realignment rumors

Cade is absolutely a proven QB who was beaten out by a better one. That was kind of the point. Blue bloods have great talent backing up even better talent. That's what Cade was. Labas couldn't beat out players like Spencer and Padilla and has fallen to 3rd again behind the backup from Wisconsin. I think that tells us something about his level of talent. Last year Iowa had one of the weakest QB/WR groups in all of football. The portal changed all of that and will continue to provide a wealth of talent at positions of need to schools like Iowa that are often on the outside looking in when it comes to recruiting these higher quality skill players.
I don’t think we disagree. Just semantics.

Reactions: jonesy5960
So basically what I said....... ;)

Btw, I think the Big 12 basically sees the writing on the wall, and is trying to establish themselves as the premiere basketball conference in the country.

They were recently in talks with UConn for f*** sake.

If the Big 12 got UConn for mens and women's basketball?..........(even though it makes no sense from UConn's perspective)
Yormark has talked with everyone. Including Gonzaga. It means nothing. He will not offer Uconn or Gonzaga. He will lay chilly and wait on Arizona and Colorado.

Colorado is always overlooked here. In a growing state, geographically connected as a neighboring state to Nebraska, AAU member. I think they would be absolutely ahead of Miami and possibly ahead of Oregon/Washington.
Colorado is in a sexy, rapidly growing state, that does not care much at all about CU. No eyeballs. All about the Broncos.

Colorado is in a sexy, rapidly growing state, that does not care much at all about CU. No eyeballs. All about the Broncos.
Well, they had their cup of coffee in the 90s.........

Couldn't sustain it though so people lost interest. They're kinda in a similar boat to Minnesota. Located in or near a market that has a pro team in all 4 major sports.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
So, are you planning to invite Colorado, or not.
No the $$$$$$$ is in VA, NC, FL, TX. If the BIG wants to expand the schools that I mentioned have a higher ceiling than Colorado. The BIG should go after
Notre Dame
UNC
UVA
FSU
if not ND then Clemson
Imagine Clemson coming to Iowa or FSU going to Nebraska. Sexier matchups than Colorado. My bet is any of these teams listed above would break stadium records in many BIG stadiums if they came to town. I think UNC to Minnesota would be sexier than Colorado to Minnesota

Last edited:
No the $$$$$$$ is in VA, NC, FL, TX. If the BIG wants to expand the schools that I mentioned have a higher ceiling than Colorado. The BIG should go after
Notre Dame
UNC
UVA
FSU
if not ND then Clemson
Imagine Clemson coming to Iowa or FSU going to Nebraska. Sexier matchups than Colorado. My bet is any of these teams listed above would break stadium records in many BIG stadiums if they came to town.
FSU will never be a take for the BIG.

I think you might be off on that one. They are applying for AAU status. FSU wants the athletic $$$$$$$ thagt they could get from being in the BIG and the academic $$$$$$ they could get by being an AAU university. Not that far of a stretch. Plus this expands the BIG into Florida so the BIG wins there and lets be honest playing in the BIG might be a little easier for FSU than the SEC week in and week out. I mean the BIG only has 3 teams that have a shot at the playoffs even if they are extended. Ohio St, Michigan, Penn St. The SEC has what 7

I think you might be off on that one. They are applying for AAU status. FSU wants the athletic $$$$$$$ thagt they could get from being in the BIG and the academic $$$$$$ they could get by being an AAU university. Not that far of a stretch. Plus this expands the BIG into Florida so the BIG wins there and lets be honest playing in the BIG might be a little easier for FSU than the SEC week in and week out. I mean the BIG only has 3 teams that have a shot at the playoffs even if they are extended. Ohio St, Michigan, Penn St. The SEC has what 7
I am absolutely not off on that one, they do not bring in 1/2 of the $ that Miami brings in for research. Academic standards are much better there. FSU does not have a large endowment, is in bum **** Florida with no major metropolitan area near it. Miami would be the take.

• Haha
Reactions: HogLovinHawkeye
Also if academic money is #1, then Stanford and Cal would be the takes.

Why would the Big 12 care about markets? We don't have a conference TV network to push signups for. The Big 12 needs passionate fanbases. Nobody goes to Wake or BC games and nobody watches them on TV. That's bad for the Big 12.

If the B12 wanted passionate fanbases, it is interesting that they added a bunch of mediocre G5 schools.

2022 attendance averages:

Cincy 38k
UCF 41k
Houston 25k

Wake 30k
BC 35k

BYU is the outlier at 59k

More so than Clemson ever would be.

Just like FSU, Clemson's run as a "big boy" will come to an end sooner than later and they have absolutely nothing else that would be attractive to the B1G...other than recruiting grounds, but even FSU has them beat on that.

The ACC teams up for consideration (excluding ND) are: #1 UNC, #2 Virginia, #3 Miami, #4 GT, #5 Duke

If FSU ends up joining the AAU as rumored they are working on, then I feel they become a legit contender for an invite; probably #3 on the list...unless Miami also joins the AAU.

More so than Clemson ever would be.

Just like FSU, Clemson's run as a "big boy" will come to an end sooner than later and they have absolutely nothing else that would be attractive to the B1G...other than recruiting grounds, but even FSU has them beat on that.

The ACC teams up for consideration (excluding ND) are: #1 UNC, #2 Virginia, #3 Miami, #4 GT, #5 Duke

If FSU ends up joining the AAU as rumored they are working on, then I feel they become a legit contender for an invite; probably #3 on the list...unless Miami also joins the AAU.
Miami does not need to join the AAU, they already bring in the most research money in the state from the NIH. They are elite academically, especially with regards to medical research. FSU brings literally nothing to the table. Hell look at the endowments, hell Iowa has 2.5x the endowment, with an insane population deficit to FSU.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: HogLovinHawkeye
Miami does not need to join the AAU, they already bring in the most research money in the state from the NIH. They are elite academically, especially with regards to medical research.
Okay. As long as the research, research $$ and resources are shared among conference members then I guess it wouldn’t matter.

At the end of the day the B1G won’t be looking to pillage the ACC, they will add UO, UW once the PAC 12 implodes, then wait until ND finally decides to join and then bring Stanford with them. The expansion insanity will stop at 20 members. Anything larger won’t work.

The rumors are picking up that the Big 12 is eyeing the "four corner" schools as the Pac 12 continues to sit on their hands waiting for the new TV deal.

Here's how I see things shaking out when the Pac 12 implodes:

Arizona- Big 12
Arizona State- Big 12
Colorado- Big 12
Utah- Big 12
Washington- Big Ten
Oregon- Big Ten
UCLA- Big Ten
USC- Big Ten
California- MWC
Stanford- MWC
Oregon State- MWC
Washington State- MWC

Reactions: 250vertical

Arizona- Big 12
Arizona State- Big 12
Colorado- Big 12
Utah- Big 12
Washington- Big Ten
Oregon- Big Ten
UCLA- Big Ten
USC- Big Ten
California- MWC
Stanford- MWC
Oregon State- MWC
Washington State- MWC

Stanford would join ND to the B1G, once they are forced to finally join a conference ...which should (hopefully) be soon.

Otherwise, I agree with your moves.

Cal would be the biggest loser in all of this, but those leftists can suck it as far as I'm concerned 😉

Stanford would join ND to the B1G, once they are forced to finally join a conference ...which should (hopefully) be soon.

Otherwise, I agree with your moves.

Cal would be the biggest loser in all of this, but those leftists can suck it as far as I'm concerned 😉
Colleges. Famously right wing everywhere outside of Berkeley.

The rumors are picking up that the Big 12 is eyeing the "four corner" schools as the Pac 12 continues to sit on their hands waiting for the new TV deal.

Arizona- Big 12
Arizona State- Big 12
Colorado- Big 12
Utah- Big 12
Washington- Big Ten
Oregon- Big Ten
UCLA- Big Ten
USC- Big Ten
California- MWC
Stanford- MWC
Oregon State- MWC
Washington State- MWC
If the B1G wants Oregon and Washington, why hasn’t it happened yet? Surely they don’t need to wait for PAC to dissolve to do so and those programs would jump at the chance to join the B1G. The only thing that makes sense to me is it gives the B1G leverage to accept them at a significantly reduced rate until the next TV deal.

If the B1G wants Oregon and Washington, why hasn’t it happened yet? Surely they don’t need to wait for PAC to dissolve to do so and those programs would jump at the chance to join the B1G. The only thing that makes sense to me is it gives the B1G leverage to accept them at a significantly reduced rate until the next TV deal.
It probably does ...but the B1G also doesn't want to be the one to put the "final" dagger in the Pac 12.

Sure, they've stabbed them a couple times and put them in critical condition ...but they haven't officially killed them.

Once it's determined that they are no longer a viable product for $$media$$, the members will just officially declare "free agency" ...UO/UW to the B1G, the so-called "corner schools" to the Big12.

Stanford (for the time being), Cal, Wash St, OR St will be in limbo ...with three of them heading to the MWC most likely.

It's been discussed ad nauseam in this thread.

That’s not because they don’t want big markets. It’s because they can’t get them. Of course they’d love to have them. Cincinnati and UCF are two bad seasons away from being completely uninteresting. Then you’re stuck with them. I don’t think that’s debatable, so I guess we’re at an impasse.

I will agree that you’re a good poster, and you probably believe that too. You might be the only Cyclone poster on here I don’t have on ignore.

I think there is a big difference between now and they brought in UCF and Cincy. When they were brought in the Big 12 had 8 teams, no TV contract, and everybody thought we were screwed.

Now we have the TV contract and are solid and they should be a lot more picky.

Houston started out in the old SWC till the B12 was formed. plus they are based in Houston one of the 5 biggest cities in the country, that city is just loaded with talent both FB and BB. they will add a lot to the B12, BOTH in TV's and sports
Cincinnati is still in a state full of talent both in FB and BB
UCF is one of the biggest University in the state of Florida with over 40,000 students not to mention they sit in the middle of one of the 3 loaded with talent.
these 3 team as P5 School their ability to recruit top talent will increase. BYU is a unknown.

I think there is a big difference between now and they brought in UCF and Cincy. When they were brought in the Big 12 had 8 teams, no TV contract, and everybody thought we were screwed.

Honest question.

Sans BYU, you don’t think they would add those other 3 schools tomorrow? I think that might be true. I would say the same thing about Maryland and Rutgers, respective to the B1G.

I think the Big XII is clearly a second tier conference now, but they have something going for them that some other conference don’t have. They are self aware.

Reactions: shudaddy
The Big 12 was on the verge of implosion and now are a solid tier two conference. I guess that’s something, but the lack of tv dollars (relative to the B1G and SEC) will catch up with them. It’s also telling that no one is looking to poach their schools…

Whatever. You may have a contract but you'll always be third fiddle at BEST to the power brokers, which is why you'll always be left with the scraps of leftovers that either don't fit or provide nothing to the B1G or SEC. Once Texas and Oklahoma pulled the rug, and hell to some degree even Nebraska, the big 12 became a lower level conference. I don't know just how "picky" you think you can be , but you can bet your not getting anyone to join who thinks they have ANY chance to join the power2.....

Reactions: shudaddy and GHawk
Whatever. You may have a contract but you'll always be third fiddle at BEST to the power brokers, which is why you'll always be left with the scraps of leftovers that either don't fit or provide nothing to the B1G or SEC. Once Texas and Oklahoma pulled the rug, and hell to some degree even Nebraska, the big 12 became a lower level conference. I don't know just how "picky" you think you can be , but you can bet your not getting anyone to join who thinks they have ANY chance to join the power2.....
They can be picky, but they are picky with what’s available. They are picky in the same way I’m picky about which hot dog I’m going to eat.

I think they probably understand that.

It probably does ...but the B1G also doesn't want to be the one to put the "final" dagger in the Pac 12.

Sure, they've stabbed them a couple times and put them in critical condition ...but they haven't officially killed them.

Once it's determined that they are no longer a viable product for $$media$$, the members will just officially declare "free agency" ...UO/UW to the B1G, the so-called "corner schools" to the Big12.

Stanford (for the time being), Cal, Wash St, OR St will be in limbo ...with three of them heading to the MWC most likely.

It's been discussed ad nauseam in this thread.
This. Trying to avoid a lawsuit. There has already been talk of one after the USC/UCLA departures. But if other schools find a soft landing spot, the BIG can’t be held responsible for “killing the conference “.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
the 2 Arizona school are a attractive pair, Colorado, Oregon. WashingtonState, Washiingon, Stanford, would all be good additions to the B12. that is 7 P5 schools that would elevate the B12,

as far as UCF goes they are in the middle of one of the talent loaded state, plus Florida offers a major TV market that the BT would have loved to get into.

Cincinnati is also in the middle of some very good talent and is a solid addition to having a solid BB team and a growing FB program. the top instate talent goes to OSU for to reasons they were the only P5 school in the state. now that Cincinnati will be the 2nd P5 school they will provide another option for those players,

just like ISU provides the instate of Iowa a 2nd option, that is why OSU didn't want Cincinnati in the BT.

Houston is one of the 5 largest cities in the Country. this is the school I wanted the BT to add for a very long time along with UCF. both would have added 2 very big TV markets to the BT Footprint.

plus 2 of the largest talent loaded states for the BT to recruit from.

All of this is 100% correct and I've never denied it. But when you're faced with 3rd fiddle compared to what Big 12 schools were looking at just 12 months ago, 3rd fiddle looks like a Stradivarius.

I agree the Big 12 shouldn't look at anybody who thinks they have a shot at the SEC or Big 10, because they'll constantly be a thorn in the side. Right now Big 12 schools know their place. They aren't good enough for the big 2 and I don't want that apple cart upset. That's why they shouldn't look at Oregon or Washington no matter what happens.

Reactions: kceasthawk
All of this is 100% correct and I've never denied it. But when you're faced with 3rd fiddle compared to what Big 12 schools were looking at just 12 months ago, 3rd fiddle looks like a Stradivarius.

I agree the Big 12 shouldn't look at anybody who thinks they have a shot at the SEC or Big 10, because they'll constantly be a thorn in the side. Right now Big 12 schools know their place. They aren't good enough for the big 2 and I don't want that apple cart upset. That's why they shouldn't look at Oregon or Washington no matter what happens.

Big 12 has feelers out to unlv. Depends what happens to the pac 12, but imho would be a good long term addition.

the 2 Arizona school are a attractive pair, Colorado, Oregon. WashingtonState, Washiingon, Stanford, would all be good additions to the B12. that is 7 P5 schools that would elevate the B12,

as far as UCF goes they are in the middle of one of the talent loaded state, plus Florida offers a major TV market that the BT would have loved to get into.

Cincinnati is also in the middle of some very good talent and is a solid addition to having a solid BB team and a growing FB program. the top instate talent goes to OSU for to reasons they were the only P5 school in the state. now that Cincinnati will be the 2nd P5 school they will provide another option for those players,

just like ISU provides the instate of Iowa a 2nd option, that is why OSU didn't want Cincinnati in the BT.

Houston is one of the 5 largest cities in the Country. this is the school I wanted the BT to add for a very long time along with UCF. both would have added 2 very big TV markets to the BT Footprint.

plus 2 of the largest talent loaded states for the BT to recruit from.
LOL. This is the biggest crock I have seen yet. None of those schools add very many TVs, which determines the contracts conferences get. Just being in a big market doesn't mean a big TV draw. Not one of those schools are the big draws in the national sense, with maybe the exception of Oregon and Washington ( and those are iffy).

this is why UCLA and USC were added to get into the SO Cal TV market. the states of Oregon and Washington do not bring that many TV sets to the BT.. the future addition will be dictated by TV revenue and how much Land grant monies they bring into the BT.

Money will always drive expansion
Rutgers brought over $750,000,000 in Land Grant monies to the BT and they were not about turn that down no matter what the fans had to say about.

Money talks and the bull shit spewed by internet posters walks.

• Haha
Reactions: F5n5 and GHawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT