ADVERTISEMENT

Realignment rumors

Can you please explain “land grant value”? I’m not sure I’ve ever heard/read of that being part of an expansion calculation. And I’m not sure where you came up with that Rutgers number. Tv markets, fan bases, travel, rivalries, research funding and overall TV audience appeal are the factors I have seen.

Last edited:
Can you please explain “land grant” value? I’m not sure I’ve ever heard/read of that being part of an expansion calculation. And I’m not sure where you came up with that Rutgers number. Tv markets, fan bases, travel, rivalries, research funding and overall TV audience appeal are the factors I have seen.
the BT is a Land Grant conference with the money going to research. the money brought in by Universities is pooled together then it is split amoung the Research institutions

it is split up
with the BT getting a = share. the only school that doesn't get a share is NW as they are not a research school.

each school puts money in and then the BT powers that be splits that up equally used to know the site that shows how much each school puts in and how it gets split up. the LGM is in the Billions, that trumps the chump change that the sports team brings in. money will always trump anything sports related.

sports may come and go but research will always will always be needed.

Sorry, that is not how it works. The Big Ten’s old CIC (Committee for Institutional Cooperation), now the Big Ten Academic Alliance, is just a reporting structure for the total funded research being done at individual schools. The only joint thing it does is some joint purchasing pools. There is no contributing, pooling and equal splitting of funding,
And off the top of my head, Big Ten members Michigan, Northwestern, Indiana and Iowa are not land grant institutions. Soon to be members UCLA and USC are not land grant schools either.
Northwestern, by the way, does plenty of research, more than $900 million is grant funded per year, in fact.

Last edited:
Houston has more people than the state of Oregon not only that but it would get the BT into the state of Texas. same thing with UCF it would give the BT a in in the state of Florida, it is the same with adding Rutgers,
Again, size of the town does NOT mean the school brings in TV viewers. Houston and UCF do NOT have national TV appeal!!! Oregon has some national TV appeal. It has more than either Houston or UCF, but it is boarderline.

the BT is a Land Grant conference with the money going to research. the money brought in by Universities is pooled together then it is split amoung the Research institutions

it is split up
with the BT getting a = share. the only school that doesn't get a share is NW as they are not a research school.

each school puts money in and then the BT powers that be splits that up equally used to know the site that shows how much each school puts in and how it gets split up. the LGM is in the Billions, that trumps the chump change that the sports team brings in. money will always trump anything sports related.

sports may come and go but research will always will always be needed.
NOT TRUE!!
By the way, Iowa is NOT a land grant school! MooU is.

Houston has more people than the state of Oregon not only that but it would get the BT into the state of Texas. same thing with UCF it would give the BT a in in the state of Florida, it is the same with adding Rutgers,
I said this on the Penn State message board years ago and they laughed me off of the board. Houston with BIG $$$$$ becomes an instant threat to Texas and Texas A&M

I said this on the Penn State message board years ago and they laughed me off of the board. Houston with BIG $$$$$ becomes an instant threat to Texas and Texas A&M

Houstons facilities honestly suck. They've benefitted by being the big dog in a smaller conference, we'll see how they transition. But I agree they certainly have the ability to be an upper tier team in the Big 12.

Again, size of the town does NOT mean the school brings in TV viewers. Houston and UCF do NOT have national TV appeal!!! Oregon has some national TV appeal. It has more than either Houston or UCF, but it is boarderline.

Agreed, but this this is the exact same argument for bringing in Rutgers.

Houstons facilities honestly suck. They've benefitted by being the big dog in a smaller conference, we'll see how they transition. But I agree they certainly have the ability to be an upper tier team in the Big 12.

Agreed, but this this is the exact same argument for bringing in Rutgers.
I like Houston to the BIG for recruiting reasons and it is right there on the doorstep of SEC country.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
When you find UIowa on this list, get back to me
As you can see, the schools on the Land Grant list started out primarily as agricultural education and research schools. UIowa was never ag based.

Northwestern research:

Google can be your friend but only if you chose to use it.

Are you confusing “Land Grant Institutions” with AAU membership perhaps? If so, Northwestern is a member of that also as are all B1G schools except Nebraska. Nebraska is a Land Grant School. Iowa, like Northwestern, Is an AAU member but not a Land Grant school.

Last edited:
Iowa is not a Land Grant school….be better.
boy just how stupid are you. why don't you prove it? for over 70 years I have been around Iowa as been a Land Grant school. that is why they are in the BT.

Iowa does a lot of Cancer Research that is why they have their children Hospital dedicate to cancer research. hmmm there is that word again RESEARCH of which Iowa does.

boy just how stupid are you. why don't you prove it? for over 70 years I have been around Iowa as been a Land Grant school. that is why they are in the BT.

Iowa does a lot of Cancer Research that is why they have their children Hospital dedicate to cancer research. hmmm there is that word again RESEARCH of which Iowa does.
Excuse Me Wow GIF by Mashable

There is only one in the state of Iowa. It is Iowa State University. I thought that was common knowledge? Apparently it is not.

Land grant schools

Karmack1955:
I’m apparently dense but I am determined.
One more try. Please hit these links below.

There is a map of Land Grant colleges and universities in the first one. Land Grant designation has nothing to do with the size or quality of research done by institutions. Iowa is indeed a fine research university as recognize by the best indication of research size and quality: AAU membership. Again, Land Grant designation has no connection with quality of research.

Here’s a link to AAU membership of the nation’s leading research universities of which Iowa is one.

With this, I am out.

This might impact conference TV rights negotiations if it were to happen. Comcast owns NBC. ABC sports are handled through what is now their wholly owned ESPN subsidiary. Would this leave ABC without sports?

• Wow
Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Here's a link to the R&D expenditures by US colleges:

Iowa is at #50, fairly well compared to its overall academic ranking in the 80s. A large portion of the funding comes from medical research, that's why Johns Hopkins is #1, UC San Francisco is #2, Pittsburgh is #18, and several Ivy League schools are lagging behind. U of Alabama Birmingham is #44 but U of Alabama is only #150. I guess the medical school is in Birmingham, not Tuscaloosa.

Karmack1955:
I’m apparently dense but I am determined.
One more try. Please hit these links below.

There is a map of Land Grant colleges and universities in the first one. Land Grant designation has nothing to do with the size or quality of research done by institutions. Iowa is indeed a fine research university as recognize by the best indication of research size and quality: AAU membership. Again, Land Grant designation has no connection with quality of research.

Here’s a link to AAU membership of the nation’s leading research universities of which Iowa is one.

With this, I am out.
All this research tells me one unavoidable conclusion; Nebraska belongs in another conference!

if the B12 should get Colorado, then Nebraska, the additions of the Arizona schools makes for nice 12 team conference with room to add 2 more to reach 14.

expand West makes the most sense for the B12.

Stopping at 16 in the BT would make a nice # as it would allow for2 8 team divisions.

7 in the division and 2 cross over games.

if the B12 should get Colorado, then Nebraska, the additions of the Arizona schools makes for nice 12 team conference with room to add 2 more to reach 14.

Stopping at 16 in the BT would make a nice # as it would allow for2 8 team divisions.

50 million > 31.6 Million.

Nebraska isn't moving to the Big 12 for less money.....and the Big 10 isn't going to kick them out.

Nebr leaving the B1G would be the completely moronic.

B1G membership is the golden ticket.

That being said, I can envision a scenario where the nostalgic, old Big Red donor pool ponies up the dough and justifies the budgetary shortfall by selling Trev on benefit of returning to football prowess by dominating teams they view as inferior. (Kind of like they thought about B1G schools in 2010)

Nebr leaving the B1G would be the completely moronic.

B1G membership is the golden ticket.

That being said, I can envision a scenario where the nostalgic, old Big Red donor pool ponies up the dough and justifies the budgetary shortfall by selling Trev on benefit of returning to football prowess by dominating teams they view as inferior. (Kind of like they thought about B1G schools in 2010)

No effing way. You're talking about like 10+ million a year. They can't keep paying the salaries of their fired coaches without it.

More like 25-30 million a year, and that is just the start. There is a zero point zero percent chance that Nebraska leaves the B1G. None. Or that any team leaves the B1G or SEC.

Also, we've seen that the Athletic Director basically has zero input on conference changes, and find out about the moves when the rest of us do.

More like 25-30 million a year, and that is just the start. There is a zero point zero percent chance that Nebraska leaves the B1G. None. Or that any team leaves the B1G or SEC.

Also, we've seen that the Athletic Director basically has zero input on conference changes, and find out about the moves when the rest of us do.
Teams can leave SEC and join Big Ten :)

Nebraska isn't moving to the Big 12 for less money.....and the Big 10 isn't going to kick them out.
Nebraska would never be considered to join the B1G today— not just because they suck at sports, but because they aren’t even AAU. If they left, where would they go? Neither the SEC or ACC would touch them. There’s a chance the Big 12 would, and that may make Husker fans cream their pants now that Texas and Oklahoma are gone. But the Big 12 is no longer a P5 so where does Nebraska benefit?

Nebraska would never be considered to join the B1G today— not just because they suck at sports, but because they aren’t even AAU. If they left, where would they go? Neither the SEC or ACC would touch them. There’s a chance the Big 12 would, and that may make Husker fans cream their pants now that Texas and Oklahoma are gone. But the Big 12 is no longer a P5 so where does Nebraska benefit?
who died and named you the almighty of which conference can be P5 conferences?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT