ADVERTISEMENT

Realignment rumors

yea... when you add more teams to a Conference... you have to add more divisions.
imagine a Conference with 32 teams and no divisions.
you would kill the excitement for many teams after just a few weeks.

imagine the NFL with no divisions.. and only the top 2 teams at the end of the season play for the Championship.

now... compare that with a Conference with 16 teams and 4 divisions.
the excitement for most teams will be there for at least the first 10 games of the season because they will still have a chance to win their Division and compete for a Championship.

taking away Divisions takes away excitement
adding Divisions adds excitement

I think that IF the ACC blows up the BIG will go after UNC, UVA, FSU(Applying for AAU Status) and Clemson. Clemson will not expand the SEC footprint and to be honest I think Clemson wants to Jump into the BIG anyway for $$$$$$$ reasons. The SEC will go after VTECH , NC State for sure as it will expand the SEC footprint North. After that not sure, perhaps Duke just off of name(everyone knows who Duke is). The schools that they might target past those schools are already in SEC TV markets (Louisville, Miami, GTech,). And I can not see them going further North to grab a Pitt per say. So who knows
https://247sports.com/college/virgi...could-be-headed-if-they-le-210321370/#2169037

Clemson will join SEC obviously, but I’ve heard Miami and VT are both mutually interested in the B10. We wouldn’t be able to get both Cal and Stanford though, ND has to have a seat. Still wondering if Maryland/ Rutgers were good additions 🥸
ND will always have a seat, regardless of the numbers. Unless they lose access to the CFP, I don’t believe they’ll ever join a conference. They make a lot of money (although not as much as the B1G schools), but that’s not the driving force for them. Independence is.

ND will always have a seat, regardless of the numbers. Unless they lose access to the CFP, I don’t believe they’ll ever join a conference. They make a lot of money (although not as much as the B1G schools), but that’s not the driving force for them. Independence is.
That's how I figure it will play out ...NCAA "golden child" ND staying Independent.

That means my scenario laid out here is mostly likely ...(ACC schools TBD)...

Here's an alternate 20-school version if the ACC implodes early and ND still remains IND...

IllinoisIndianaNebraskaMaryland
IowaMichiganOregonNorth Carolina
MinnesotaMichigan StateUCLAPenn State
NorthwesternOhio StateUSCRutgers
WisconsinPurdueWashingtonVirginia

Before anyone gets ahead of themselves....

Here are some excerpts from a Mike DeCourcy (Sporting News) column:

Just don’t buy the fiction that any of this means the ACC will be breaking up anytime soon.

They're staging their annual spring meetings this week in Florida. They'll be staging them again next May.

The members of the ACC all signed grant-of-rights agreements in 2016, at the formation of the ACC Network. Those contracts have a term of 20 years, meaning they expire in 2036, well past the league’s 80th birthday. They were signed willingly, with each member well aware of what the potential drawbacks could be, because there were advantages in having their own national TV platform and the security it would be in operation for years.

The ACC is not going anywhere, except maybe to another Final Four if things keep moving as they are for Duke men’s basketball.

Here’s why:

1. Nowhere to go. If Clemson or Florida State or all seven programs reporter Brett McMurphy indicated were looking into whether they could escape the grant-of-rights deal were to succeed, there is no conference better situated to house them.

The SEC? What would the Tigers or Seminoles do for the SEC, which already has one program in South Carolina and one in Florida?

For all the SEC members to agree to more expansion, there would have to be reason to expect it would mean significantly greater revenues than the new deal will produce. And it would likely have to be a monstrous leap, given the Gamecocks and Gators would be sacrificing the SEC-exclusive hold they now have on their states.

North Carolina is the one program that would have significant value to another league. They are in one of the fastest-growing markets and have a significant fan base, although less penetration in football than men’s basketball. It can’t be fun to see the money for the SEC and Big Ten escalating so far beyond the ACC’s reach. The Tar Heels knew the ACC was behind, however, and elected to stay there when they signed the grant-of-rights.

2. No one to pay them. Clemson and Florida State are worth, say, $17 million annually under this ESPN contract. There’s no good reason the network – currently in another round of cost-cutting – would be willing to pay them nearly three times that merely for changing leagues. Each program has a significant following, but neither is in a massive media market. A 2022 study by consultant TJ Altimore didn't place either among 16 largest college football fan bases.

ESPN is getting a nice deal now, and it’s made a significant investment in the ACC Network. It would be dreadful business to be the catalyst for destruction of its own venture.

3. No way to get out, anyway. If a grant-of-rights agreement were so easy to escape, you think Texas and Oklahoma still would be competing in the Big 12? Their exfiltration to the SEC was announced in the summer of 2021. They won’t be playing SEC football games until the fall of 2024. That’s three years of visiting Lubbock instead of Tuscaloosa. Why didn’t the Sooners and Longhorns bolt sooner? Because they wanted to get paid.

The grant-of-rights agreements don’t prevent a conference member from competing in another league or as an independent; if that happens, though, all broadcast rights revenue earned is the property of the conference. So the Horns could have played in the SEC in 2022, ’23 and ’24, but whatever TV money they earned would have belonged to the Big 12.

Kirk Herbstreit has mentioned on multiple occasions that college football is heading to an nfl style SEC/ B1G two super conference format. Basically every other team not in those two conferences will be irrelevant. I remember him saying each conference could be well over 20 teams by the time it’s all said and done with

Well if this happens it will be a long long time before Iowa wins a big 10 championship. If they break up into 4 divisions then the hawks could win the division once in awhile, but would have to first win a semi-final type game just to get to the conf champ game. At least it will be interesting to see the hawks play some new teams in conference.

And maybe we can get rid of the ISU game which does nothing for me for a long time running.

Well if this happens it will be a long long time before Iowa wins a big 10 championship. If they break up into 4 divisions then the hawks could win the division once in awhile, but would have to first win a semi-final type game just to get to the conf champ game. At least it will be interesting to see the hawks play some new teams in conference.

And maybe we can get rid of the ISU game which does nothing for me for a long time running.
Same people who wanted a harder schedule will complain when we have a harder schedule? Ohio State and Michigan get the 4 and 5 star guys so we are starting from behind every year.

The portal has and will continue to change college football parity. As much as I dislike it you can't deny how quickly it can fill in a teams needs. Constant change is the new norm.

And I am kinda shocked how pay for play has helped Iowa football level the playing field. It was not that long ago when people thought Iowa football was going to fall far behind because we did not have any collectives up and running. And now? Our offense has added a star QB, a star TE, a star WR, a star LB and additions to the offensive line, all because of the SWARM collective.

Hold the phone boys. The ACC is ripe for the picking. It is possible that schools like UNC , Virginia, Florida St., and Clemson might be in play. If ND will not play ball then screw em. See what happens and get these schools. If the ACC does fold or teams leave I see this infolding

To the BIG
UNC
UVA
FSU
Clemson

To the SEC
NC State
V Tech
Louisville
*Duke or Miami

To the Big 12
Pittsburgh
Syracuse
Georgia Tech
*Duke or Miami
Colorado St.
Boise State

To the AAC
Boston College
Wake Forest
UCONN
Army
*The AAC may start to poach the Sun Belt for Old Dominion, GA State and possibly JMU

To the PAC
San Diego State
SMU
UNLV
Fresno St.
Air Force
Rumors of Tulane and Rice but who knows
* Notre Dame- kind of like the deal they have with the ACC where they can dictate what they want
If the PAC was smart they may try and grab a few more schools in Texas like UTSA and go get Tulsa to get in that middle time zone with SMU

MWC
UTEP
NM State
* Texas State
Alberdine Christian
Tarelton State
Texas Rio Grande
Stephen F Austin
Sam Houston State

Sun Belt
Jacksonville State
North Alabama
Kennesaw State

Now you still have Western Kentucky, Mid Tenn State, FIU, La Tech , UMASS and Liberty out there to fill in for eastern conferences that may need a team or two.
If we could get ACC teams, GA Tech would be at the top of my list

Great academic school

Atlanta metro area has 6M people, and growing rapidly

Ridiculous amount of talent available for recruiting

Easy travel if you want to come to a game down here, and plenty to do if you want to stay an extra day or two (including college FB Hall of Fame)

I believe GA Tech is a sleeping giant. Could be very strong with the right coaches in place. FB team won a Natty with Bobby Ross and B-ball team was great under Crimmins.

If teams refuse to play them what cho will they have

Hold the phone boys. The ACC is ripe for the picking. It is possible that schools like UNC , Virginia, Florida St., and Clemson might be in play. If ND will not play ball then screw em. See what happens and get these schools. If the ACC does fold or teams leave I see this infolding

To the BIG
UNC
UVA
FSU
Clemson

To the SEC
NC State
V Tech
Louisville
*Duke or Miami

To the Big 12
Pittsburgh
Syracuse
Georgia Tech
*Duke or Miami
Colorado St.
Boise State

To the AAC
Boston College
Wake Forest
UCONN
Army
*The AAC may start to poach the Sun Belt for Old Dominion, GA State and possibly JMU

To the PAC
San Diego State
SMU
UNLV
Fresno St.
Air Force
Rumors of Tulane and Rice but who knows
* Notre Dame- kind of like the deal they have with the ACC where they can dictate what they want
If the PAC was smart they may try and grab a few more schools in Texas like UTSA and go get Tulsa to get in that middle time zone with SMU

MWC
UTEP
NM State
* Texas State
Alberdine Christian
Tarelton State
Texas Rio Grande
Stephen F Austin
Sam Houston State

Sun Belt
Jacksonville State
North Alabama
Kennesaw State

Now you still have Western Kentucky, Mid Tenn State, FIU, La Tech , UMASS and Liberty out there to fill in for eastern conferences that may need a team or two.

ACC schools are ripe for the picking?

Based on what?

I think that IF the ACC blows up the BIG will go after UNC, UVA, FSU(Applying for AAU Status) and Clemson. Clemson will not expand the SEC footprint and to be honest I think Clemson wants to Jump into the BIG anyway for $$$$$$$ reasons. The SEC will go after VTECH , NC State for sure as it will expand the SEC footprint North. After that not sure, perhaps Duke just off of name(everyone knows who Duke is). The schools that they might target past those schools are already in SEC TV markets (Louisville, Miami, GTech,). And I can not see them going further North to grab a Pitt per say. So who knows

ACC schools are ripe for the picking?

Based on what?
That their TV deal sucks

Their TV deal does suck, it is extremely favorable to ESPN.

ESPN owns that TV deal though. Why would ESPN let any of the schools out of it, especially to go to the Big 10, where they don't own any of the inventory?

Great academic school

Easy travel if you want to come to a game down here, and plenty to do if you want to stay an extra day or two (including college FB Hall of Fame)

I believe GA Tech is a sleeping giant. Could be very strong with the right coaches in place. FB team won a Natty with Bobby Ross and B-ball team was great under Crimmins.
No thanks.

I think the ACC TV deal is a little low but not the terrible deal that everyone has been saying.

The new B12 deal has similar numbers to the ACC. The new P12 deal is expected to be in the ballpark of B12 and P12.

That is the new reality of the Middle 3 Conferences.

I think the ACC TV deal is a little low but not the terrible deal that everyone has been saying.

The new B12 deal has similar numbers to the ACC. The new P12 deal is expected to be in the ballpark of B12 and P12.

That is the new reality of the Middle 3 Conferences.

The ESPN ACC deal pays 240 million annually or about 17 million per year through 2036.

The Big 12 deal with Fox/ESPN will pay 31.7 million per year.

It’s not close.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
The ACC deal isn't as straight forward as a deal like the Big 12. The ACC also receives ACC Network distributions. The Big 12 is all-in with their new ESPN deal, it includes all their Tier1, ESPN+ games and everything.

The article below says "The ACC received more than $397 million from television rights, more than $104 million from postseason bowls and more than $64 million from the NCAA in 2020-21." So for 2020-2021, the average ACC distribution for TV-only was $26.7M. That is giving Notre Dame a full share, which doesn't happen, so full-time ACC members received ~$27M in TV money TWO YEARS AGO. Your claim of $17M per year through 2036 is wrong.

Btw, all these deals have escalator clauses going up 3 or 4% per year, so none of the distributions are static. The B12 deal will not distribute $31.7 in year one. That will be the average over the contract, so the initial year will be slightly below 30. The ACC at the same time will be.... slightly below 30.

I stand by my claim that the ACC, B12, and P12 will have similar TV distributions.

Great academic school

Not sure they are on the B1G's Top 10 target list overall, but I'm sure they are on the top 5-6 targets from the ACC. Everything you said about them above is true ...and they are a member of the AAU, which is pretty much mandatory.

I'd rank the ACC candidates for an invite as ...

#1 UNC - and it's not even close
#2 Virginia - AAU member, very prestigious academically and excellent recruiting grounds
#3 Florida State - mainly for it's recruiting grounds and putting a footprint in Florida (also, someone in this thread mentioned they are working on AAU membership with an eye towards B1G membership down the road and that would move them into the #2 spot if it happens)
#4 Duke - mainly for its rivalry in MBB with UNC, but they are also an AAU member with A+ academics
#5 Georgia Tech - big market, expands footprint, A+ recruiting grounds, AAU member ...would be a huge addition for the Big 12 imo
#6 Miami - same as FSU, but they provide a bigger media market ...being small, private, non-AAU hurts
#7 Pitt - excellent athletics dept and AAU member...but doesn't expand the footprint or bring in new media revenue ...could end up in the Big 12 imo

At the end of the day, Notre Dame remains the ultimate target for any expansion. If they decide to join prior to the ACC implodes, they will certainly want to bring a longtime rival with them ...Stanford most likely. Once you add those two and the obvious next Pac-12 targets (Oregon & Washington) I think the B1G will be officially done with expansion. 20 members is the limit.

• Haha
Reactions: HogLovinHawkeye
The ACC deal isn't as straight forward as a deal like the Big 12. The ACC also receives ACC Network distributions. The Big 12 is all-in with their new ESPN deal, it includes all their Tier1, ESPN+ games and everything.

The article below says "The ACC received more than $397 million from television rights, more than $104 million from postseason bowls and more than $64 million from the NCAA in 2020-21." So for 2020-2021, the average ACC distribution for TV-only was $26.7M. That is giving Notre Dame a full share, which doesn't happen, so full-time ACC members received ~$27M in TV money TWO YEARS AGO. Your claim of $17M per year through 2036 is wrong.

Btw, all these deals have escalator clauses going up 3 or 4% per year, so none of the distributions are static. The B12 deal will not distribute $31.7 in year one. That will be the average over the contract, so the initial year will be slightly below 30. The ACC at the same time will be.... slightly below 30.

I stand by my claim that the ACC, B12, and P12 will have similar TV distributions.

The ACC network is owned by ESPN. It's all part of the same thing but I see your point, and I concede that the article I linked must have had some old info.

Still your article said the ACC distributed between 35 and 38 million per school. The Big 12 will likely be close to 50 million starting this year. Where is the other 12 to 15 million coming from for the ACC?

At the end of the day, Notre Dame remains the ultimate target for any expansion. If they decide to join prior to the ACC implodes, they will certainly want to bring a longtime rival with them ...Stanford most likely. Once you add those two and the obvious next Pac-12 targets (Oregon & Washington) I think the B1G will be officially done with expansion. 20 members is the limit.

They can't join any other conference before the ACC implodes. They are contractually obligated to join the ACC until 2036 if they join a conference. It's in the GoR signed in 2016 when they became kind of partial member of that conference.

They can't join any other conference before the ACC implodes. They are contractually obligated to join the ACC until 2036 if they join a conference. It's in the GoR signed in 2016 when they became kind of partial member of that conference.
Whatever the buyout is, it's tip money for them ...and the B1G would chip in to pay at least half.

ND has their own TV contract for FB, so the GoR thing really only applies to the olympic sports.

The ACC network is owned by ESPN. It's all part of the same thing but I see your point, and I concede that the article I linked must have had some old info.

Still your article said the ACC distributed between 35 and 38 million per school. The Big 12 will likely be close to 50 million starting this year. Where is the other 12 to 15 million coming from for the ACC?

In 2020-21, the ACC distributed between $35M and $38M. The B12 distributed $34.5 in the same year.

When is the B12 supposed to distribute $50M? The first year of their new TV deal is 2025-2026, so I'm guessing that year. That will be a full five years after the numbers we're listing above. I would not be surprised to see ACC distributions approaching $50M in the 2025-2026 fiscal year, which is three years in the future.

And I am kinda shocked how pay for play has helped Iowa football level the playing field. It was not that long ago when people thought Iowa football was going to fall far behind because we did not have any collectives up and running. And now? Our offense has added a star QB, a star TE, a star WR, a star LB and additions to the offensive line, all because of the SWARM collective.
The more Hawkeye actuaries the merrier!

All ranting aside, let's assume the ACC folds. Here's where I think teams end up and what those conferences look like (long post ensuing):

Boston College- Big 12
Clemson- SEC
Duke- B10
Florida State- SEC
Georgia Tech- SEC
Louisville- Big 12
Miami- SEC
North Carolina- B10
North Carolina State- Big 12
Pittsburgh- B10
Syracuse- B10
Virginia- B10
Virginia Tech- Big 12
Wake Forest- Big 12

Big 12-
(West)
Baylor
BYU
Oklahoma State
TCU
Texas Tech
Houston
Utah*
Colorado*
Arizona*
Arizona State*
California*
Stanford*

(East)
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
West Virginia
Cincinnati
UCF
Louisville*
Virginia Tech*
Wake Forest*
North Carolina State*
Boston College*
Memphis*

Big Ten-
(East)
Penn State
Ohio State
Michigan
Michigan State
Maryland
Rutgers
Indiana
Pittsburgh*
Syracuse*
North Carolina*
Duke*
Virginia*

(West)
Notre Dame
Purdue
Iowa
Illinois
Northwestern
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Nebraska
USC
UCLA
Washington*
Oregon*

SEC-
(East)
Tennessee
Vanderbilt
Kentucky
South Carolina
Georgia
Florida
Clemson*
Georgia Tech*
Florida State*
Miami*

(West)
Missouri
Arkansas
LSU
Texas A&M
Texas
Oklahoma
Alabama
Auburn
Mississippi
Mississippi State

Bonus- MWC:
(East)
Boise State
Wyoming
Utah State
Colorado State
Air Force
New Mexico
New Mexico State*
Tulsa*

(West)
Fresno State
San Jose State
San Diego State
Hawaii
Nevada
UNLV
Washington State*
Oregon State*

I can explain scheduling in another post.......

P.S. Once again, you're welcome, America.

In a perfect world kick Nub out and bring Cal in, then match up the core rivalries into pods...

IllinoisMichiganCaliforniaIndiana
IowaMichigan StateNotre DameOregon
MinnesotaOhio StateStanfordPurdue
NorthwesternPenn StateUCLARutgers
WisconsinMarylandUSCWashington

9 conference games per year; four from your pod every year and rotating from the other three pods.

Home-and-Away model only for those teams in your pod.
🤣🤣🤣🤣 ... typical cowardly Hawk schedule thinking
How about
Iowa
Notre Dame
USC
Washington
UCLA

Imagine those losses each year

All ranting aside, let's assume the ACC folds. Here's where I think teams end up and what those conferences look like (long post ensuing):

Boston College- Big 12
Clemson- SEC
Duke- B10
Florida State- SEC
Georgia Tech- SEC
Louisville- Big 12
Miami- SEC
North Carolina- B10
Pittsburgh- B10
Syracuse- B10
Virginia- B10
Virginia Tech- Big 12
Wake Forest- Big 12

Big 12-
(West)
Baylor
BYU
Oklahoma State
TCU
Texas Tech
Houston
Utah*
Colorado*
Arizona*
Arizona State*
California*
Stanford*

(East)
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
West Virginia
Cincinnati
UCF
Louisville*
Virginia Tech*
Wake Forest*
North Carolina State*
Boston College*
Memphis*

Big Ten-
(East)
Penn State
Ohio State
Michigan
Michigan State
Maryland
Rutgers
Indiana
Pittsburgh*
Syracuse*
North Carolina*
Duke*
Virginia*

(West)
Notre Dame
Purdue
Iowa
Illinois
Northwestern
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Nebraska
USC
UCLA
Washington*
Oregon*

SEC-
(East)
Tennessee
Vanderbilt
Kentucky
South Carolina
Georgia
Florida
Clemson*
Georgia Tech*
Florida State*
Miami*

(West)
Missouri
Arkansas
LSU
Texas A&M
Texas
Oklahoma
Alabama
Auburn
Mississippi
Mississippi State

Bonus- MWC:
(East)
Boise State
Wyoming
Utah State
Colorado State
Air Force
New Mexico
New Mexico State*
Tulsa*

(West)
Fresno State
San Jose State
San Diego State
Hawaii
Nevada
UNLV
Washington State*
Oregon State*

On behalf of America, thank you EvilMonkey - 😄

Boston College- Big 12
Clemson- SEC
Duke- B10
Florida State- SEC
Georgia Tech- SEC
Louisville- Big 12
Miami- SEC
North Carolina- B10
Pittsburgh- B10
Syracuse- B10
Virginia- B10
Virginia Tech- Big 12
Wake Forest- Big 12

Big 12-
(West)
Baylor
BYU
Oklahoma State
TCU
Texas Tech
Houston
Utah*
Colorado*
Arizona*
Arizona State*
California*
Stanford*

(East)
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
West Virginia
Cincinnati
UCF
Louisville*
Virginia Tech*
Wake Forest*
North Carolina State*
Boston College*
Memphis*

Big Ten-
(East)
Penn State
Ohio State
Michigan
Michigan State
Maryland
Rutgers
Indiana
Pittsburgh*
Syracuse*
North Carolina*
Duke*
Virginia*

(West)
Notre Dame
Purdue
Iowa
Illinois
Northwestern
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Nebraska
USC
UCLA
Washington*
Oregon*

SEC-
(East)
Tennessee
Vanderbilt
Kentucky
South Carolina
Georgia
Florida
Clemson*
Georgia Tech*
Florida State*
Miami*

(West)
Missouri
Arkansas
LSU
Texas A&M
Texas
Oklahoma
Alabama
Auburn
Mississippi
Mississippi State

Bonus- MWC:
(East)
Boise State
Wyoming
Utah State
Colorado State
Air Force
New Mexico
New Mexico State*
Tulsa*

(West)
Fresno State
San Jose State
San Diego State
Hawaii
Nevada
UNLV
Washington State*
Oregon State*

And in case you're wondering how a 24-team conference schedule would work for the Big Ten:

-NCAA goes to 13-game regular season schedules
-8 division opponents
-3 crossover opponents rotating every year (guaranteed to play every crossover team within 4 years)
-2 non-conference opponents

-Top records in each division (with tiebreakers, if necessary) play for CCG
-Remaining teams will play extra crossover game based on where they finished in division
-Postseason crossover game will rotate home site each year with one division hosting all games one year, then the other division hosting all games the next (for example, all East division teams would host the 14th crossover game in say 2025, and then West teams would be home in 2026)

Here's what Iowa's schedule could hypothetically look like if this was in place in 2024/2025:

Aug 31- Troy (Gold Rush game)
Sept 7- Iowa State
Sept 14- At Michigan State
Sept 20- At UCLA
Sept 28- Washington (Black and Gold Game)
Oct 5- At Minnesota
Oct 12- Indiana (Homecoming)
BYE
Oct 26- At Notre Dame
Nov 2- At Pittsburgh
Nov 9- Oregon (Blackout Game)
Nov 16- At USC
Nov 23- Wisconsin
Nov 29- Nebraska (Black Friday/Senior Day)
*Dec 7- Big Ten Championship/Division Crossover

Aug 30- Florida Atlantic
Sept 6- At Iowa State
Sept 13- Syracuse
Sept 20- Northwestern (Gold Rush game)
Sept 27- At North Carolina
Oct 4- At Washington
Oct 11- Minnesota (Homecoming)
Oct 18- Notre Dame (Black and Gold game)
Oct 25- At Purdue
BYE
Nov 8- Michigan (Blackout)
Nov 15- At Wisconsin
Nov 22- Illinois (Senior Day)
Nov 28- At Nebraska (Black Friday)
*Dec 6- Big Ten Championship/Division Crossover

2026 crossovers: Ohio State, Duke, Maryland

2027 crossovers: Penn State, Rutgers, Virginia

All hypothetical, of course...... ;)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts