ADVERTISEMENT

Received my Voters' Pamphlet today

millah_22

HR Legend
Jun 15, 2004
Omaha
It is a comprehensive 136 page guide with everyone on the ballot. That way you can at least have a brief overview of the stances of who you are voting for or against. It also includes how to vote, your rights as a voter, and the voting laws. I should receive my mail-in ballot here in the next 10 days. Oregon is one of very few states that had an increase of voters from 2012 to 2016. They've been making a big push to get more voters instead of less.

Anyone else's state help inform voters before voting?

4Qh4efq.jpg

bmgVpVc.jpg

h5Uv72u.jpg

I received my ballot and guide yesterday for California. Haven’t looked through the book yet.

I don't see this as bad. I also see a lot of folks trashing it and not reading it but that's on them.

I really appreciated getting those when I lived in California.

That would be nice especially for candidates for local offices and state representatives.

I can look up most of the information for candidates for governor, house, senate. But it feels like it would take a greater degree of effort to get information about local candidates.

Reactions: cigaretteman
I don't see this as bad. I also see a lot of folks trashing it and not reading it but that's on them.
It's not intended to be bad. It's intended to help inform voters. I think a big thing was people didn't know much about local candidates so they would just guess instead of leaving the contest blank. This was to help voters that sit down and fill it out to know who and what they're voting for.

Reactions: cigaretteman
It's not intended to be bad. It's intended to help inform voters. I think a big thing was people didn't know much about local candidates so they would just guess instead of leaving the contest blank. This was to help voters that sit down and fill it out to know who and what they're voting for.
I know. I see it as good. I like it. I just wonder how many people read it. That's all. I see it as good

I'm betting that the number of trees cut down to make all those 136-page pamphlets far exceeds the number of people who read most or all of it.

Hopefully someday soon science will develop a way to distribute information electronically, without wasting so much paper.

Reactions: ottumwan in tx
One year when I was living in San Francisco, I actually took the time to read in detail the candidate statements for the 84 (or so) candidates for five open seats on the Board of Supervisors. I then selected the five who were the very best and voted for them.

All five of my candidates finished in the bottom ten and I even had selected the guys who finished 83rd and 84th ... last and next to last!

It was a little frustrating but it gave me standing to complain about Harvey Milk, Dianne Feinstein and a few other crazies over the next cycle. In the case of Dianne Feinstein, I now have standing to state that I voted against her even back in the day ... before the rest of the country had ever heard of her.

It is a comprehensive 136 page guide with everyone on the ballot. That way you can at least have a brief overview of the stances of who you are voting for or against. It also includes how to vote, your rights as a voter, and the voting laws. I should receive my mail-in ballot here in the next 10 days. Oregon is one of very few states that had an increase of voters from 2012 to 2016. They've been making a big push to get more voters instead of less.

Anyone else's state help inform voters before voting?

4Qh4efq.jpg

bmgVpVc.jpg

h5Uv72u.jpg

Next step. Learn to read.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT