ADVERTISEMENT

Recent first hand Covid stories

SF HAWKEYE

HR Heisman
Gold Member
Jan 11, 2003
Living in West Des Moines I haven't had a lot of exposure to Covid until recently, 2 of my best friends and their wives (healthy in their 40's)had it in CA. Both said they were lethargic and were scared they were going to die after getting the positive results but they were all fine after 3 days.

This week my kindergartner is doing home school because a classmate has it. That classmate spread it around class and those kids took it home to their parents and siblings that have now all tested positive. The feedback was that the parents lost smell and taste for 2 days and were lethargic for 2 days but fine by the 3rd day.

Yesterday I was in Cedar Falls at a customer and all 3 employees (2 in their 50's and 1 in her 60's)had it, tested positive on Saturday and were all back in the office on Wednesday said they were feeling flu like symptoms last Thursday-Saturday but felt totally fine and back to normal by Monday and were back in the office by Wednesday but keeping guests and visitors out.

Another friend in Mason City had it in August he's in his late 50's Heavy drinker, smoker and over 300lbs, was sick for 3 days and is fine. His Mom is 89 and is bed ridden with Dementia had it and was moved to nursing home and is fine now.

Tuesday while taking some kids to Football practice my son was telling the kids how a kid in our neighborhood has it and one kid said "Our parents had it in June, they were fine though" These are parents weve hung out with pretty much every other weekend since June and had no idea.

Anyone on here have it and had to go to the hospital? I haven't known anyone that has personally. Not wanting this to get political, just seeing what other people are seeing out there.

Reactions: The_Gent
This week my kindergartner is doing home school because a classmate has it. That classmate spread it around class and those kids took it home to their parents and siblings that have now all tested positive. The feedback was that the parents lost smell and taste for 2 days and were lethargic for 2 days but fine by the 3rd day.
There are some on this site that would say little kids can't spread it.

Ive known probably close to 25 people who have had covid by now, 6 were hospitalized. one person died.

Living in West Des Moines I haven't had a lot of exposure to Covid until recently, 2 of my best friends and their wives (healthy in their 40's)had it in CA. Both said they were lethargic and were scared they were going to die after getting the positive results but they were all fine after 3 days.

Yesterday I was in Cedar Falls at a customer and all 3 employees (2 in their 50's and 1 in her 60's)had it, tested positive on Saturday and were all back in the office on Wednesday said they were feeling flu like symptoms last Thursday-Saturday but felt totally fine and back to normal by Monday and were back in the office by Wednesday but keeping guests and visitors out.

Another friend in Mason City had it in August he's in his late 50's Heavy drinker, smoker and over 300lbs, was sick for 3 days and is fine. His Mom is 89 and is bed ridden with Dementia had it and was moved to nursing home and is fine now.

Tuesday while taking some kids to Football practice my son was telling the kids how a kid in our neighborhood has it and one kid said "Our parents had it in June, they were fine though" These are parents weve hung out with pretty much every other weekend since June and had no idea.

Anyone on here have it and had to go to the hospital? I haven't known anyone that has personally. Not wanting this to get political, just seeing what other people are seeing out there.

Glad to hear. Thanks for sharing!

I'm shedding it now. Mild symptoms throughout. A good friend and her husband have it now and are struggling with it mightily, both early 50s and otherwise very healthy people.

I've known 6 people that have gotten sick and 2 more test positive and didn't get sick. All the first week in July.

Positives that were sick were.

68 year old normal cold like symptoms
67 year old same but a fever for half a day
50 year old lost taste
48 year old had fever for 3 days and flu like symptoms (body aches etc probably sickest of these 6)
25 year old pregnant with twins, cold symptoms for three days fever for one.
16 year old had cold symptoms for a few days.

These have been the experiences of people I've talked to. Don't know of any others All were in Eastern Iowa when they got it

A buddy of mine that is very healthy at the age of 40 had it about six weeks ago. He said it was the worse nine days of his life. He could barely breathe. He would walk about ten feet and have to stop to catch his breath. Pretty much laid around and did nothing the whole time. He got it from a bimbo at work who knowingly went to a party the weekend before with someone that had it. She thought it was no big deal. She spread it to ten people at work and was promptly fired.

My 80 year old aunt and uncle both had it, they're in assisted living out east. They were tested preemptively and both have health issues a mile long. Neither one of them exhibited a single symptom. The randomness of this thing is what gets me the most.

A buddy of mine that is very healthy at the age of 40 had it about six weeks ago. He said it was the worse nine days of his life. He could barely breathe. He would walk about ten feet and have to stop to catch his breath. Pretty much laid around and did nothing the whole time. He got it from a bimbo at work who knowingly went to a party the weekend before with someone that had it. She thought it was no big deal. She spread it to ten people at work and was promptly fired.

My 80 year old aunt and uncle both had it, they're in assisted living out east. They were tested preemptively and both have health issues a mile long. Neither one of them exhibited a single symptom. The randomness of this thing is what gets me the most.
In retrospect, I am thinking I might have had it a month or two ago. I was at the driving range a couple of times and I had to stop and catch my breath and I was a little dizzy. It was brutally hot and I think I was dehydrated, so it could have been that. However, up until a few days ago it was brutally hot and I was at the range and chipping/putting green for a few hours and was unphased, and I am in no better shape than I was then. Who knows?

The lack of a pic of the bimbo is getting me the most.

(Edit: somehow circle became “cult leader!” Lol!)

You people must have much wider circle of acquaintances than me. I met a couple around the corner a couple months ago that moved here from Queens who said they tested positive for the antibodies. After that I don’t personally know anyone who has tested positive.

The worst we’ve had is that our son’s girlfriend’s roommate’s boyfriend’s sister tested positive. So everyone in their circle got tested, but they were all negative.

At this point there has been one positive test for about every fifty Americans. Among white collar folks it’s probably more like 1 in 200; with our ability to work from home.

Hard to imagine knowing ten or twenty. Although I guess if one person in your circle of friends gets it, then probably several others do, as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: anon_89hvcc2uyzmki
9 people that I directly know. (wife and her 2 sisters included) (no pics)
6 with minor flu like symptoms/ 3 with major flu like symptoms/ 1 spent 4 weeks in the hospital on oxygen on his stomach.
Indirectly I know of around 15-20 people who have had it.

Brother and his family had it. Bro and his wife are in mid 50s. He’s in outstanding shape. His wife is slightly overweight - doesn’t smoke but she drinks heavily. Brother said it was a rough three days and about 2 weeks of being tired. They thought about taking wife to hospital one night b/c she couldn’t catch her breath and coughing real bad. Nephew is 25 and felt like flu.

our receptionist son is early 20s and rolling of HPD. He caught it from his partner.Mostly sour throat, fever and slight cough.He’s back on patrol.

Bunches. All patients. I don’t think I’ve had anyone tell me they were positive and asymptomatic. Symptoms ranged from exertional shortness of breath to dead.

Reactions: cigaretteman
My wife has 2 uncles (Both in 50s) that work at Tyson in Waterloo. During that whole fiasco one tested positive asymptomatic and the other had the antibodies and never knew he had it.

Tested positive on Saturday and we’re back in the office Wednesday? WTF?

I'm shedding it now. Mild symptoms throughout. A good friend and her husband have it now and are struggling with it mightily, both early 50s and otherwise very healthy people.

Good to hear you’re doing fine with it. Hope your friend and her husband kick it

Reactions: ping72 and Rudolph
You people must have much wider cult leaders of acquaintances than me. I met a couple around the corner a couple months ago that moved here from Queens who said they tested positive for the antibodies. After that I don’t personally know anyone who has tested positive.

The worst we’ve had is that our son’s girlfriend’s roommate’s boyfriend’s sister tested positive. So everyone in their circle got tested, but they were all negative.

At this point there has been one positive test for about every fifty Americans. Among white collar folks it’s probably more like 1 in 200; with our ability to work from home.

Hard to imagine knowing ten or twenty. Although I guess if one person in your circle of friends gets it, then probably several others do, as well.

Do you know Ferris?

Um, he's sick. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

So the people who tested positive on Saturday were back at the office already

selfish assholes. I had an employee who was exposed, tested negative on day 10 and the local health department told her to still wait 4 more days. Which I couldn’t fathom, but the lady is a hard worker and would rather be at work

Jamain Stephens Sr has one....

Jamain Stephens, a football player at Division II California University of Pennsylvania, died Tuesday. The Cal U athletic department confirmed Stephens' death in a statement. A Facebook post from Stephens' high school alma mater on Tuesday initially attributed his death to complications of COVID-19, but Central Catholic High School in Pittsburgh clarified Wednesday that it "mistakenly attributed his death without official confirmation on cause," according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Stephens' father, Jamain Stephens Sr., told Sports Illustrated that the family is "not sure of the truth." Stephens had reportedly informed friends that he'd tested positive for COVID-19 just one week before his death.

"Jamain was such a wonderful student with a smile on his face every time you saw him," Cal U athletic director Karen Hjerpe said. "His personality was contagious and he made such a positive impact on everyone he met."

Stephens, 20, played in 32 games over three seasons. He was a business administration major and set to be a senior defensive lineman on the team this season. His father, also named Jamain, played in the NFL as an offensive lineman from 1996 to 2003.

Cal U's conference, the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference, suspended all competition for the fall semester in July in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, and the Division II Council followed up in August by canceling fall sports championships.

The NCAA shared a message of condolences on Tuesday. "We join Cal U in mourning the loss of Jamain Stephens," read a tweet from the NCAA. "Our thoughts are with his family, friends and teammates during this time."

:oops:

Jamain Stephens Sr has one....

Jamain Stephens, a football player at Division II California University of Pennsylvania, died Tuesday. The Cal U athletic department confirmed Stephens' death in a statement. A Facebook post from Stephens' high school alma mater on Tuesday initially attributed his death to complications of COVID-19, but Central Catholic High School in Pittsburgh clarified Wednesday that it "mistakenly attributed his death without official confirmation on cause," according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Stephens' father, Jamain Stephens Sr., told Sports Illustrated that the family is "not sure of the truth." Stephens had reportedly informed friends that he'd tested positive for COVID-19 just one week before his death.

"Jamain was such a wonderful student with a smile on his face every time you saw him," Cal U athletic director Karen Hjerpe said. "His personality was contagious and he made such a positive impact on everyone he met."

Stephens, 20, played in 32 games over three seasons. He was a business administration major and set to be a senior defensive lineman on the team this season. His father, also named Jamain, played in the NFL as an offensive lineman from 1996 to 2003.

Cal U's conference, the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference, suspended all competition for the fall semester in July in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, and the Division II Council followed up in August by canceling fall sports championships.

The NCAA shared a message of condolences on Tuesday. "We join Cal U in mourning the loss of Jamain Stephens," read a tweet from the NCAA. "Our thoughts are with his family, friends and teammates during this time."

:oops:

While you spike the football on this man's life it should be noted that for every single covid coded death there are tens of thousands of people who beat the virus or as others have mentioned....never even knew they had it.

I've known 6 people that have gotten sick and 2 more test positive and didn't get sick. All the first week in July.

Positives that were sick were.

68 year old normal cold like symptoms
67 year old same but a fever for half a day
50 year old lost taste
48 year old had fever for 3 days and flu like symptoms (body aches etc probably sickest of these 6)
25 year old pregnant with twins, cold symptoms for three days fever for one.
16 year old had cold symptoms for a few days.

These have been the experiences of people I've talked to. Don't know of any others All were in Eastern Iowa when they got it

Any pics of the 25 year old pregnant with twins?

Last edited:
So the people who tested positive on Saturday were back at the office already

selfish assholes. I had an employee who was exposed, tested negative on day 10 and the local health department told her to still wait 4 more days. Which I couldn’t fathom, but the lady is a hard worker and would rather be at work
The office is just a locked by appointment only showroom, since they all had it, they came back to work instead of sitting around the house getting other family members exposed.

Reactions: bdg8
I know enough people now that I am losing track of the exact numbers, etc. But I would say about 15 people that I know have had it...almost all were asymptomatic and several were completely unaware that they had it and were only tested because of their close relationship(s) with someone else that was positive.

However, one of my employees lost 2 elderly relatives to it. Both were 85'ish+ years and nursing home residents with multiple other health issues. While still a bad outcome for their family, neither were in good health, etc.

Hey by the way... UCLA researchers and colleagues think it was widely circulating in CA back in December. They noted an unexpected 50% increase in patients with coughs and acute respiratory failures from Dec-Feb which is before the first cases were definitively identified.

I’ll await the apology I’m owed. Well actually I’m ignoring it.

Hey by the way... UCLA researchers and colleagues think it was widely circulating in CA back in December. They noted an unexpected 50% increase in patients with coughs and acute respiratory failures from Dec-Feb which is before the first cases were definitively identified.

Relative who lives in CA had all the symptoms in December as well but was tested and she doesn't have the antibodies. Most likely a strain of the common flu.

So weird.

Have known of a few people that had it.

2 coworkers, one in her mid 30's and one in his late 40's.

She had terrible symptoms for 7-8 days. Fever, cough, sleeping for 16-18 hours per day, loss of smell and taste.

He had similar symptoms for 3-4 days. Both are fine now.

Buddy in his late 40's had it and said it was similar to the flu but symptoms lasted longer, about a full week for him.

My wife had a coworker that had both parents get it and both ended up in the hospital but have recovered completely now.

While you spike the football on this man's life it should be noted that for every single covid coded death there are tens of thousands of people who beat the virus or as others have mentioned....never even knew they had it.
You are bad at math.

Wife's friends Dad died of it 2 days ago (underlying conditions) (no pics).

Have known of a few people that had it.

2 coworkers, one in her mid 30's and one in his late 40's.

She had terrible symptoms for 7-8 days. Fever, cough, sleeping for 16-18 hours per day, loss of smell and taste.

He had similar symptoms for 3-4 days. Both are fine now.

Buddy in his late 40's had it and said it was similar to the flu but symptoms lasted longer, about a full week for him.

My wife had a coworker that had both parents get it and both ended up in the hospital but have recovered completely now.
People who had it early are facing complications months later like glaucoma as this is now confirmed to be a vascular disease and not a respiratory.

I'm far less social than lots of people here it seems. I also get tired of covid discussions, so often trying to avoid that topic if possible.

That said, I'm impressed with people's reporting here.

While you spike the football on this man's life

Who is "spiking the football" here?

Jamain Stephens Sr could have a "first-hand story" to tell.
As of now, there is not confirmation of his son's cause of death; there is only a report that his son texted/told friends he contracted Covid.

A week later, he is dead, with the initial reports being he died of Covid, and those being retracted as unconfirmed.

You want first hand stories, you might get one if you keep this on your radar.
Or, are stories where young people die of Covid complications not "appropriate" for the thread?

People who had it early are facing complications months later like glaucoma as this is now confirmed to be a vascular disease and not a respiratory.

Yep. I'd pointed out months ago that this was an inflammatory and vascular disease, and we were highly likely to see long-term health impacts from it.

MAGAts ignored those posts.

Reactions: cigaretteman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT