ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting

Interestingly, I've been okay with Murin holding down the 149 spot...I've always thought he was on the cusp of AA status...I think we can all agree last year's performance at Big tens and nationals for Murin was an a product of him being sick/injured and he still fought his way deeper into the National tournament than I thought he would. He is tough and has been hanging with everybody at 149. Abe's still decently inexperienced at 184..he wrestled his true freshman year...then zilch last year and starting this year, I would expect a big jump next year for him.

Interestingly, I've been okay with Murin holding down the 149 spot...I've always thought he was on the cusp of AA status...I think we can all agree last year's performance at Big tens and nationals for Murin was an a product of him being sick/injured and he still fought his way deeper into the National tournament than I thought he would. He is tough and has been hanging with everybody at 149. Abe's still decently inexperienced at 184..he wrestled his true freshman year...then zilch last year and starting this year, I would expect a big jump next year for him.

Being "OK" with Murin is fine but being "OK" with Murin while complaining about Young would be ridiculous.

Here's where you can find the 2023 recruiting rankings, my friend...and my apologies if someone already posted these. Iowa is ranked #1 followed by MN, tOSU, OSU, and NC State. Even though we were ranked first MN has the 1st and 4th ranked wrestlers coming in so it's pretty tight. Penn State is 8th. Our recruits include top 100 recruits:
  • #5 Gabe Arnold (174)
  • #6 Nate Jesuroga (125)
  • #16 Ben Kueter (285)
  • #61 Ryder Block (141/149)

PSU's recruits are:
  • #10 Josh Barr (174/184)
  • #36 Braeden Davis (125/133)

Courtesy of FloWrestling: https://www.flowrestling.org/rankin...ngs/41519-2023-ncaa-recruiting-class-rankings

Would love to see the Hawks go on another run like they have these last few years. I think it's fair to compare Cael and Dan Gable to a degree based on their successes over a limited number of years, but it sure would be nice to have Brands brought into the discussion as well. We need to keep the magic going strong!

It's early and Keuter being part time takes some from his value which is likely not reflected. We will need a quality 285 at minimum the ability of Costello to fill in 1st semester plus if we are counting on him being a key scorer and something happens during football our cheese will hanging in the wind. I wouldn't mind seeing Bradley Hill move up to be a 240 pound heavy. He has done pretty well wrestling higher.

It's early and Keuter being part time takes some from his value which is likely not reflected. We will need a quality 285 at minimum the ability of Costello to fill in 1st semester plus if we are counting on him being a key scorer and something happens during football our cheese will hanging in the wind. I wouldn't mind seeing Bradley Hill move up to be a 240 pound heavy. He has done pretty well wrestling higher.
Easton Fleshman is our new Costello, IMHO. I agree it would be smart to add another top prospect in next years class though.

Being "OK" with Murin is fine but being "OK" with Murin while complaining about Young would be ridiculous.
agreed Spooner...but I wasn't complaining about Young (I may have misunderstood your post, I am pretty dense at times), I came to the realization that Young was gonna have to live at 157 for his career with the Bull in the next weight class.

I don't know what that cut is like for him...but I can assume its not fun at all. I actually thought he really has been wrestling pretty decently as the season has gone on. I expect him to AA again this weekend somewhere in the 8-5 range.

I think wrestling is such a crap shoot once you get beyond the "sure fire" recruits....I've watched and followed wrestling all my life (feels like), and I realize that the more I watch, follow, and read..the more I realize that I don't know zilch...lol

An in stater to keep an eye on.

Easton Fleshman is our new Costello, IMHO. I agree it would be smart to add another top prospect in next years class though.

Agreed. I am not worried about Keuter being good enough...just worried about a football injury or deciding to totally focus on football. If there is a guy that can do both, it's him. It's going to be tough to bring in a top recruit in this situation though.

i like our guy coming in ;) but he doesn't have a ton of mat time compared to his peers. Last year was his first wrestling freestyle year around. He has room to grow upper body wise and needs to work on his footwork and shots. Hips on down, he is a nice sized heavy. Maturity, acumen and heart, he is college ready as any....an eyes and ears open and mouth shut kind of guy. He is coming in at a great time to be able to develop under Cass for two years. Beating will ensue but he can take it and learn.

Agreed. I am not worried about Keuter being good enough...just worried about a football injury or deciding to totally focus on football. If there is a guy that can do both, it's him. It's going to be tough to bring in a top recruit in this situation though.

i like our guy coming in ;) but he doesn't have a ton of mat time compared to his peers. Last year was his first wrestling freestyle year around. He has room to grow upper body wise and needs to work on his footwork and shots. Hips on down, he is a nice sized heavy. Maturity, acumen and heart, he is college ready as any....an eyes and ears open and mouth shut kind of guy. He is coming in at a great time to be able to develop under Cass for two years. Beating will ensue but he can take it and learn.
Nice summary Chief. Agree he needs to add to his overall strength particularly upper body. His feet move pretty well for a big kid. He seems more of a counter wrestler right now and the good feet help that. Needs the HP boost to initiate and finish his own shots. Hips are heavy. Probably not quite were Costello was coming out but can certainly get there with more mat time and hard work which I know those West Lyon boys know how to do.

Agree 100% on all accounts.

Reactions: UndercoverHawk
An in stater to keep an eye on.

Holy cow! That's a pretty impressive list for this young man, currently 180 lbs as an 8th grader. Yikes! 6 Tulsa National Titles? That's pretty impressive for sure. Yeah, he looks to be someone to keep an eye on alright. Saw another little Ayala in that article too, so Drake Ayala probably has the scoop on this Dreshaun Ross kid too I would guess. 🙂

agreed Spooner...but I wasn't complaining about Young (I may have misunderstood your post, I am pretty dense at times), I came to the realization that Young was gonna have to live at 157 for his career with the Bull in the next weight class.

I don't know what that cut is like for him...but I can assume its not fun at all. I actually thought he really has been wrestling pretty decently as the season has gone on. I expect him to AA again this weekend somewhere in the 8-5 range.

I think wrestling is such a crap shoot once you get beyond the "sure fire" recruits....I've watched and followed wrestling all my life (feels like), and I realize that the more I watch, follow, and read..the more I realize that I don't know zilch...lol

I think we are mostly in alignment. Also, I never know anything.

I see more consistency in regular season performances with MM and offensive growth. Max is willing to let the fur fly and I consider his potential to be higher than KY’s.

The fact of the matter is that Young has been on the podium twice and Murin has been on the podium as many times as you have.

Didn't Young go up and fill in at 174 for one season and then come back to 157 for the team? That is what I am remembering. I also remember him being a BIG 10 Champ and a multiple time AA. I don't think you have anything to complain about at 157. Young also had one of the most exciting throws I have ever seen in a collegiate match against Minny a couple years ago. He was dead in the rights and went with it and came out on top of a sweet lateral drop. The kid never says die.

I think we are mostly in alignment. Also, I never know anything.

The fact of the matter is that Young has been on the podium twice and Murin has been on the podium as many times as you have.
Max has been right there with the best in the weight class. He’s been a solid and consistent performer slowed down by injuries.

Ross is a Seabolt kid. Won S32 too as did Fellers kid.
Thanks for the info, I wondered about that. I have a family friend that is pretty involved with the Fort Dodge and Sebolt crew.

Don't know what Fort Dodge has returning at 182 next year, but he better strap it on tight if he's going to keep this kid out of the lineup. 🙂

Young also had one of the most exciting throws I have ever seen in a collegiate match against Minny a couple years ago. He was dead in the rights and went with it and came out on top of a sweet lateral drop. The kid never says die.
I think that throw got posted recently over on the "whatdayathink" thread if you want to see it again. Ironside went nuts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lsanders20
We need to get some athletic type guys. Lovett and Andonian, that's exciting wrestling. We get a lot of short guys or grinders. Henson, Murin, Young, Bull, Kennedy, Brands, Abe, Warner. All basically grinders.

Spencer is a freak. Desanto is pretty nimble and athletic. Kem is athletic. Eierman when healthy. Cass is athletic for a big guy. That's where most of our points have come from the past few years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT