ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting?

Don’t think he’s going to be in a need weight for Iowa with Deluca being here but he’s an in state kid so I would guess he was called.

Knight was 120 as a soph. Pretty tough to say he’s going to be at 125 5-6 years from now, but maybe.

He isn't close to a can't miss prospect right now. Ross is the only in state prospect that is on the elite level right now.

You’re not wrong. He’s pretty good though. Flo has him at #18 in the class of 2026.

The Ayala comment was a weird flex though. No one would ever dispute who’s the better prospect. Interjecting Knight was weird AF.

Reactions: vhsalum
Leo DeLuca is definitely a 125 for life lol.
He did say last year he thinks with his genetics he will be career 125. According to an interview with Spencer recently, he thinks it will be very rare to see this in the future. The biggest question about Spencer coming into college was would he be big enough for 125, now it sounds like he’s struggling to make 57kg. With Drakes length, I can see how he may want to bump to 133 now that he has matured.

He did say last year he thinks with his genetics he will be career 125. According to an interview with Spencer recently, he thinks it will be very rare to see this in the future. The biggest question about Spencer coming into college was would he be big enough for 125, now it sounds like he’s struggling to make 57kg. With Drakes length, I can see how he may want to bump to 133 now that he has matured.
I don’t think Spencer struggles to make 57, he walks around in the 130s.

Maybe when he was banged up and couldn't train. Not when healthy. He said in an interview that he had to not eat to make weight when he was hurt and it was miserable.

He isn't close to a can't miss prospect right now. Ross is the only in state prospect that is on the elite level right now.
In my uneducated opinion after reading that Ross' football coach said he's "raw", I bet he goes the EXACT same route as BK.

Reactions: Bobhaywood
In my uneducated opinion after reading that Ross' football coach said he's "raw", I bet he goes the EXACT same route as BK.
Until Ross decides that wrestling is where he wants to be 24/7/365, I don't believe Cael will invest too much into his recruitment beyond telling Ross that if he decides to devote himself to wrestling then PSU is 100% all in and to call him.

He said no full grown man should weigh only 125 lbs. He made it sound like even now it’s not an easy cut but he can make it, especially without the college grind and multiple same day weigh ins. I don’t know how RBY and Micic are making 57kg.

He said no full grown man should weigh only 125 lbs. He made it sound like even now it’s not an easy cut but he can make it, especially without the college grind and multiple same day weigh ins. I don’t know how RBY and Micic are making 57kg.
Also, when you hit mid 20’s, many of us have our metabolism slow down, making weight gain with the same eating habits happen.

Been saying this for years. Yet we have some dorks who think there should be a 118 lb weight class. 🤦‍♀️
Is this comment another example that you have a brain? Spencer said this, so others are dorks. The HWC job is beneath Spencer....starting to think your big brain is fixated on one person, entirely. Spencer.

Now that Fargo is complete, who should the Hawks be heavy on? What's the thoughts on how the incoming recruits did?

Reactions: el dub
Now that Fargo is complete, who should the Hawks be heavy on? What's the thoughts on how the incoming recruits did?
Fargo is a nice tournament but I’m not sure it should influence our goals or thoughts for future prospects. Iowa should always be targeting age level medalist and athletic wrestlers with a diverse offensive skill set.

I wouldn't say irrelevant. Fargo is tough, you can learn a lot about a kid there. Hence the reason why so many college coaches are recruiting there.

Hence my use of “nearly.”

Coaches have to be there. But ultimately there are very few big time recruits participating.

Reactions: vhsalum
Hence my use of “nearly.”

Coaches have to be there. But ultimately there are very few big time recruits participating.
I do not know what you consider a big time recruit. Jax Forrest? Basset has been there in the past. Kannon Webster was there last year, is that above or below the level of big time recruit? Gable Stevenson was there in past years. Warner was a frequent Fargo participant.
Are you saying the top 1 or 2 P4P are not there or exactly what? Didn't Cassiopi beat Mason Parris there one year? Drake Ayayla was there a few years back.

I think there are many very good D 1 recruits there and many top ones also. JMHO

Reactions: BGon4ND
I do not know what you consider a big time recruit. Jax Forrest? Basset has been there in the past. Kannon Webster was there last year, is that above or below the level of big time recruit? Gable Stevenson was there in past years. Warner was a frequent Fargo participant.
Are you saying the top 1 or 2 P4P are not there or exactly what? Didn't Cassiopi beat Mason Parris there one year? Drake Ayayla was there a few years back.

I think there are many very good D 1 recruits there and many top ones also. JMHO

You just named a handful of guys over like a decade, thus proving my point. Go to the top 10-15 on the big board for juniors and seniors and very few are there.

You just named a handful of guys over like a decade, thus proving my point. Go to the top 10-15 on the big board for juniors and seniors and very few are there.
Here you go, just to name a few.
Jax Forrest - Undecided
Seth Mendoza - Missouri
Rocco Dellgatta - ??
Landon Robideau - Oklahoma State
Dreshaun Ross - Undecided
Nate Desmond - Penn State
Melvin Miller - Undecided
Harvey Ludington - Arizona State
Aaron Siedel - VA Tech
Cade Ziola - Nebraska
Ryan Burton - VA Tech
Will Henckel - Penn State
Dalton Perry - Penn State
Maddox Shaw - Ohio State
Vince Bouzakis - Ohio State
Daniel Zepeda - NC State
Guage Botero - Michigan
Christian Castillo - Iowa State
Austin Johnson - Oklahoma
Sergio Vega - Cornell
Adrian DeJesus - Cornell
Logan Paradice - UNI
Jace Roller - Missouri
Charlie Milliard - Minnesota

Last edited:
Here you go, just to name a few.
Jax Forrest - Undecided
Seth Mendoza - Missouri
Rocco Dellgatta - ??
Landon Robideau - Oklahoma State
Dreshaun Ross - Undecided
Nate Desmond - Penn State
Melvin Miller - Undecided
Harvey Ludington - Arizona State
Aaron Siedel - VA Tech
Cade Ziola - Nebraska
Ryan Burton - VA Tech
Will Henckel - Penn State
Dalton Perry - Penn State
Maddox Shaw - Ohio State
Vince Bouzakis - Ohio State
Daniel Zepeda - NC State
Guage Botero - Michigan
Christian Castillo - Iowa State
Austin Johnson - Oklahoma
Sergio Vega - Cornell
Adrian DeJesus - Cornell
Logan Paradice - UNI
Jace Roller - Missouri
Charlie Milliard - Minnesota

Not going to go though every guy but you have multiple listed who aren’t even in the top 30. That’s not a big time recruit.

Not going to go though every guy but you have multiple listed who aren’t even in the top 30. That’s not a big time recruit.
Come on man. You're reaching. Everyone on this list is highly ranked in their respective weight class. Trust me brother, I follow Jr. High and High School wrestling better than 90% of ppl.

Reactions: kkhawk
Did you even watch Fargo? Seriously, no clue how you can even say that Fargo doesn't have big time recruits lol. Only kids not their were the U17 World Team members besides Ross. And U20 World Team kids because they were in Peru for Pan Am's. Also Team USA encourages World Team members to not wrestle at Fargo so for safety precautions to avoid injuries.

Let's take it a step further. I can name a bunch of U16 kids who are also high level recruits. Just give me the green light and I can list them also.

Did you even watch Fargo? Seriously, no clue how you can even say that Fargo doesn't have big time recruits lol.

Your definition of “big time recruit” is fantastically broad. You can watch all the high school wrestling you want but a kid outside the top 10-15 or so p4p in his class is not a big time recruit. I’m sorry, he’s just not. You’re going to have trouble finding many to agree with you, imho.

Don’t get me wrong. It doesn’t mean the kids you’re talking about are crappy recruits, either. But that’s not what we are talking about here.

Your definition of “big time recruit” is fantastically broad. You can watch all the high school wrestling you want but a kid outside the top 10-15 or so p4p in his class is not a big time recruit. I’m sorry, he’s just not. You’re going to have trouble finding many to agree with you, imho.

Don’t get me wrong. It doesn’t mean the kids you’re talking about are crappy recruits, either. But that’s not what we are talking about here.
Tell me some big time recruits in your mind. And don't name PJ Duke, Bo Bassett, Mirasola Brothers, Lockett. They are on the U20 team so can't wrestle at Fargo.

Tell me some big time recruits in your mind. And don't name PJ Duke, Bo Bassett, Mirasola Brothers, Lockett. They are on the U20 team so can't wrestle at Fargo.

I already said this. Maybe even twice. Big time recruits are top 10-15 in their class. Those are the blue chippers.

No doubt U20 is a factor but it doesn’t matter why they aren’t at Fargo, it only matters that they aren’t.

I’m honestly surprised to see anyone arguing that guys ranked in the 30s and below are big time recruits.

Reactions: el dub and Reymundo
I already said this. Maybe even twice. Big time recruits are top 10-15 in their class. Those are the blue chippers.

No doubt U20 is a factor but it doesn’t matter why they aren’t at Fargo, it only matters that they aren’t.

I’m honestly surprised to see anyone arguing that guys ranked in the 30s and below are big time recruits.
You mean 10-20 overall P4P in their class? Or 10-20 in weightclass?

Spooner, I love most of your posts and I think I understand where you are coming from here, but I have to say that for the majority of the college programs, Fargo is a must.

Sure PSU and OSU and tOSU and the Hawks know who they want without ever going to Fargo. They look for Ironman champs and U17 and U20 team members. They have people all over the country telling them who the studs are and who to look out for. Many of the studs have worked out in their room. Fargo is a place for them to try to fill in their line up with low scholarship guys.

But most schools are happy to get a Fargo AA on their roster. Many schools go to Fargo and see a kid go 5-2 or 6-2 and not place and they talk to his parents if they see them or the team's coaches to learn more. Maybe they interact with the kid and start a relationship. A lot of kids from Wyoming, Colorado, Montana, Georgia do not get any exposure until they have a decent Fargo tourney.

My oldest son placed at Fargo years ago and he instantly got some letters from colleges all over the country. They had no idea who he was before Fargo. No interest before Fargo and a decent amount of interest after Fargo. I guess my point is back to your original statement - Think Fargo is an important part of the recruiting strategy for many schools.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT