ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting?

Hire Bill Bassett, IDGAF, but get Bo in the program. Make Telford his personal assistant and carry him from room to room. Whatever.

Right now none of the best Iowa wrestlers of the past 20 years are coaching at Iowa. Instead they're at Iowa State and North Carolina and Oklahoma State, we have Morningstar and Bobby "The Most Inezplicably Untouchable Man in College Wrestling" Telford and geezus that's crazy to write down.

So are any of our dunbass couches on Bo’s door step at 12am or are we going to see the coaches from PSU OSU and tOSU there?

I see it still irks you that Iowa was better than Ped St that year. Too bad buttercup.
What irks me is the ones(like you)that like to live in fantasy world ignoring reality. There have been several years that the big 10 champ has went on to lose at nationals. I get it though, when you don’t have many titles to celebrate about in recent years, you hang onto the tiny little threads that hang in front of your face. Facts hurt

What irks me is the ones(like you)that like to live in fantasy world ignoring reality. There have been several years that the big 10 champ has went on to lose at nationals. I get it though, when you don’t have many titles to celebrate about in recent years, you hang onto the tiny little threads that hang in front of your face. Facts hurt

Yes, there are some years like that, where an underdog team sneaks out a conference title due to the vagaries of tournament scoring and smaller brackets That was not what happened in 2020. Iowa was the best team, by far, all year, and Penn State didn't take second, they took a distant 4th. So while Iowa doesn't get a title for that season, to pretend like it was anything other than a distant possibility anybody would have beaten them that year is just being disingenuous. They were far and away the best team.

Yes, there are some years like that, where an underdog team sneaks out a conference title due to the vagaries of tournament scoring and smaller brackets That was not what happened in 2020. Iowa was the best team, by far, all year, and Penn State didn't take second, they took a distant 4th. So while Iowa doesn't get a title for that season, to pretend like it was anything other than a distant possibility anybody would have beaten them that year is just being disingenuous. They were far and away the best team.
Iowa would have won Nationals in 2020. There is no doubt in my mind. PSU was in a punt year and no other team was a challenger.

Iowa would have won Nationals in 2020. There is no doubt in my mind. PSU was in a punt year and no other team was a challenger.

That's all. I agree. The next year Iowa was slightly worse and Penn State better, and Iowa still locked up the title on Friday night. Of course, thereafter things have reverted back to the unfortunate (for us) normal circumstances and the gap has widened even more than it was before those two seasons.

I wouldn’t call it a punt year, if that were the case RBY Nick Lee Mark Hall and Brooks probably would’ve been redshirted. I feel like the chance of a really competitive team race ended at the US open when Cassar tore his labrum.

I wouldn’t call it a punt year, if that were the case RBY Nick Lee Mark Hall and Brooks probably would’ve been redshirted. I feel like the chance of a really competitive team race ended at the US open when Cassar tore his labrum.
Carter Starocci and Greg Kerkvliet were redshirted though, and both went undefeated their RS years. Maybe a half-hearted punt. The point though is that Iowa had a better team in 2020.

Reactions: Spoons
Carter Starocci and Greg Kerkvliet were redshirted though, and both went undefeated their RS years. Maybe a half-hearted punt. The point though is that Iowa had a better team in 2020.
I agree that Iowa was the clear favorite but Carter wasn’t going to start over Hall so his redshirt was obvious and Kerkvliet wasn’t eligible if you recall he transferred in 2nd semester from tOSU.

it wasn’t a punt year. you guys just lost cassar for the year and berge had the concussion issues.

like most of the prior PSU teams, that one had several holes covered up by title caliber talent. it can be easy to forget now that they mostly field teams with 10 legit AA threats.

they put out their best lineup at the end. Iowa was by far the better team. would have been a good race if PSU was healthy though.

Sorry it still irks you. Deal.

So winning the Big Ten title makes you national champions for the year… I think I’d make a pretty valid argument that you would definitely lose on that one but nice try, whatever helps you sleep at night
You have a well respected guy on your board that does breakdowns, his name escapes me but even he says Iowa had to be the favorite in 2020. You’re just being obtuse to get a rise out of people.

Last edited:
Iowa had the better team in 2022 as well...

So winning the Big Ten title makes you national champions for the year… I think I’d make a pretty valid argument that you would definitely lose on that one but nice try, whatever helps you sleep at night
Iowa was walking to a title that year. Nobody was going to touch them. Anyone that didnt realize that is either blind or dumb, possibly both.

PSU got smoked at BIGs. It wasn’t close.

Holy shit, I guess I got my answer. You are just not both, but a fvcking idiot

Pre-Stanley Cup Final thought: Given the bounty of team titles won since 2011, I’m not sure why any Lion fan needs to squabble over 2020’s speculative one. Yes, a B1G title doesn’t guarantee an NCAA one, and EVERY favored wrestler can lose an NCAA bout, but to say Iowa wasn’t heavily favored and most likely to take the title that year is weak. Should be easy for those blessed with so many team riches to be gracious, especially over a hypothetical crown no one gets to wear.
Now, come on Oilers. Avoid the damn sweep, for godsakes!

Did Iowa smoke PSU by 50 points at BIGs that year as well?
No. But EVERYONE...well...everyone but me has Iowa running away with it that year.

You'll have to forgive me if I dont care much about others opinions about how tgey they think things will turn out.

Reactions: el dub
I guess they already have their recruiting weekend planned?
We got beat to the punch by 6 teams, every other team I’m sure high on his list beat us except PSU and okst, but at least one of the Brands stayed up to make an early morning call. We know PSU doesn’t feel they have to chase this guy much since he’s always in their room working out with their guys, but with his top recruit teammate almost a lock for okst I’m surprised Taylor waited to be one of the last ones to call. Does he think he’s already on Carl’s level , where recruits chase you???

We got beat to the punch by 6 teams, every other team I’m sure high on his list beat us except PSU and okst, but at least one of the Brands stayed up to make an early morning call. We know PSU doesn’t feel they have to chase this guy much since he’s always in their room working out with their guys, but with his top recruit teammate almost a lock for okst I’m surprised Taylor waited to be one of the last ones to call. Does he think he’s already on Carl’s level , where recruits chase you???
I mean Brands first call was hopefully Dreshaun, followed by the Raneys.

I thought Ross was an Iowa gimme. No? I would have called Dreshaun at midnight and then pulled into Raney driveway at 12:05. They are a two-fer visit.
The Flo guys were convinced Ranys are Illinois to loose, not even sure if they mentioned Iowa. Willie was more optimistic about us getting them. Flo was more optimistic about us getting Bo than Willie was. They think Deshaun goes football.

The Flo guys were convinced Ranys are Illinois to loose, not even sure if they mentioned Iowa. Willie was more optimistic about us getting them. Flo was more optimistic about us getting Bo than Willie was. They think Deshaun goes football.
Willie said the Raneys had interest in Iowa, Flo said Illinois has a leg up because they workout with the RTC.

I picture it more like that’s the order they got through to the kid. I doubt that call from DT was a first attempt. Brands’ either.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT