ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting?

Yes, there are some years like that, where an underdog team sneaks out a conference title due to the vagaries of tournament scoring and smaller brackets That was not what happened in 2020. Iowa was the best team, by far, all year, and Penn State didn't take second, they took a distant 4th. So while Iowa doesn't get a title for that season, to pretend like it was anything other than a distant possibility anybody would have beaten them that year is just being disingenuous. They were far and away the best team.
Over the last fifteen years Psu has overperformed while Iowa has underperformed . It’s not crazy to think that Psu could possibly win the title that year while still saying Iowa would be a big favorite .

Over my lifetime I’ve seen plenty of huge upsets in very sports. In 1960, 1969, 1988 in 1990 examples in the World Series. The US Olympic hockey team 1980 comes to might also along with Eli Manning beating the patriots twice and Super Bowl.

I still believe Iowa wins but it wouldn’t surprise me to see Psu pull an upset. And it would be that , a huge upset for that year.

• Haha
Reactions: hawk224
Iowa claiming a 2020 NCAA wrestling championship is no less legit than the 1982 and 1986 football national championships claimed by PSU.

Little Women S6 GIF by TrueReal
Kind of a dumb take on it.

Yes, there are some years like that, where an underdog team sneaks out a conference title due to the vagaries of tournament scoring and smaller brackets That was not what happened in 2020. Iowa was the best team, by far, all year, and Penn State didn't take second, they took a distant 4th. So while Iowa doesn't get a title for that season, to pretend like it was anything other than a distant possibility anybody would have beaten them that year is just being disingenuous. They were far and away the best team.
Iowa was by far and away the better team the next year, and won by what 13.5. If all teams compete or if PSU has one more point scorer the far and away better team finishes second.

The 2020 tournament would have been heart wrenching for the Hawk fans.

Kind of a dumb take on it.

Your titles are mythical. Decided by votes, not in any sort of formal playoff system.

Also, don't post this, and then this...lol

Iowa was by far and away the better team the next year, and won by what 13.5. If all teams compete or if PSU has one more point scorer the far and away better team finishes second.

• Haha
Reactions: johnyt9 and hawk224
Your titles are mythical. Decided by votes, not in any sort of formal playoff system.

Wrong seems to be a position you are comfortable with.
There was certainly voting, but the accepted way of crowning a champ was to vote on.
In 1968, 69 and 75 Penn State was 11-0, 11-0 and 12-0 and not crowned champion. If you used any of those 3 years as your mythical championship then your statement would almost have merit.
In 82 (PSU GA) and 86 PSU UM) the top 2 teams met and played a winner take all championship game. That isn't anything close to what happened in 2020. But like I said, wrong is a position you are obviously comfortable in.

The 2020 tournament would have been heart wrenching for the Hawk fans.

Iowa was slightly worse, PSU was better, and Iowa still locked up the title on Friday.

Iowa was slightly worse, PSU was better, and Iowa still locked up the title on Friday.
The title was not officially locked up then, it was for all real world purposes locked up. The only time I saw PSU lock it up on Friday was this year. I could point to some other years too.

All said the tournament was not held in 2020 so while I agree Iowa was the heavy favorite I do see a possibility that PSU could have beaten them that year.

Nah, football Lion titles in 1982 and 1986 were real and tangible, backed by athletic competition and the recognized process in place at the time. Actual games over the course of a season fueled rankings by 5 arbiters (AP, UPI, USA/CNN, FWAA, NFF). Season ending bowl selection those years neatly matched the top-ranked teams each year (Georgia in ‘82, Miami in ‘86) with the #2 team in all polls (Penn State). Lions then upset both #1’s in direct athletic competition to claim tangible, NCAA-recognized titles by all 5 polling aribiters.
If you need to dethrone all pre-CFP NCAA football champs chosen so unanimously to make your case for a 2020 Iowa wrestling title, do it. While most agree that not completing a sport’s title-granting procedure is the part that makes such a claim “mythical”, it harms no one for Hawk fans to believe that one was theirs. Maybe better, though, to focus on the clear and present prospects of what should be an outstanding team. You have the last word.

Is it your opinion that we had no national championship winners in football until there was a formal playoff ?
There has never been a "formal playoff". The teams were put into the "playoff" by a vote, and you didn't even have to win your own conference championship to be eligible. Total BS.

Reactions: vhsalum
There has never been a "formal playoff". The teams were put into the "playoff" by a vote, and you didn't even have to win your own conference championship to be eligible. Total BS.
And your point is? Everyone knew the rules every year they competed and we have crowned national champions. this is nothing new.

Nah, football Lion titles in 1982 and 1986 were real and tangible, backed by athletic competition and the recognized process in place at the time. Actual games over the course of a season fueled rankings by 5 arbiters (AP, UPI, USA/CNN, FWAA, NFF). Season ending bowl selection those years neatly matched the top-ranked teams each year (Georgia in ‘82, Miami in ‘86) with the #2 team in all polls (Penn State). Lions then upset both #1’s in direct athletic competition to claim tangible, NCAA-recognized titles by all 5 polling aribiters.
If you need to dethrone all pre-CFP NCAA football champs chosen so unanimously to make your case for a 2020 Iowa wrestling title, do it. While most agree that not completing a sport’s title-granting procedure is the part that makes such a claim “mythical”, it harms no one for Hawk fans to believe that one was theirs. Maybe better, though, to focus on the clear and present prospects of what should be an outstanding team. You have the last word.
Yep, everyone was screwed out of the 2020 tournament. I doubt PSU would have won, but I will say that maybe they would have won, a slim chance. Everyone missed out on individual titles and individual honors as well as team honors.

Wrong seems to be a position you are comfortable with.
There was certainly voting, but the accepted way of crowning a champ was to vote on.
In 1968, 69 and 75 Penn State was 11-0, 11-0 and 12-0 and not crowned champion. If you used any of those 3 years as your mythical championship then your statement would almost have merit.
In 82 (PSU GA) and 86 PSU UM) the top 2 teams met and played a winner take all championship game. That isn't anything close to what happened in 2020. But like I said, wrong is a position you are obviously comfortable in.

LOL I can't believe you took the time. It was voted on. That's the key. And yes...it isn't exact. Obvi.

• Haha
Reactions: BGon4ND
Now both are officially Hawkeyes

Neither are "elite" recruits BUT they're exactly the type of mid-level recruit I like to see Iowa take a chance on. I think their skillset is a very good fit.

The things they struggle with against elite competition - handfighting, baseline defense, and power - are the things Brands is very good at developing. Long, fast, and willing leg attackers. Cautiously optimistic.

The title was not officially locked up then, it was for all real world purposes locked up. The only time I saw PSU lock it up on Friday was this year. I could point to some other years too.

All said the tournament was not held in 2020 so while I agree Iowa was the heavy favorite I do see a possibility that PSU could have beaten them that year.
Iowa had 10 qualifiers PSU 7. Iowa had 3 #1 seeds and 2,3,5,7,8 &11 seeds

PSU had 2 #1 seeds, 2 #2 seeds and a #5 seed Rasheed was a #21 seed. Verkleeren #19 seed.

It was literally 9-10 against 5.

I’d like to see your possibilities.

Reactions: Pennstate1985
Iowa had 10 qualifiers PSU 7. Iowa had 3 #1 seeds and 2,3,5,7,8 &11 seeds

PSU had 2 #1 seeds, 2 #2 seeds and a #5 seed Rasheed was a #21 seed. Verkleeren #19 seed.

It was literally 9-10 against 5.

I’d like to see your possibilities.
PSU had four champs and two 7th placers in 2021 and scored 113.5. If they had four champs in 2020 and a 5th placer, they would have been hard pressed to score any higher. That's if everything breaks right. Conservatively, Iowa has 130+ points in 2020. The 2020 team for Iowa was slightly better than the 2021 team that scored 129. I'm not sure why people can't just admit that PSU didn't have enough horses that year, or in 2021. Its not like admitting it automatically gives Iowa another title.

Aaron Stewart: Class of 2026, 157 lbs. Warren High School (Chicago).

Stewart is arguably best high school wrestler (regardless of weight class) in Illinois, and should be (will be) on everyone’s watch list. Competition to sign Stewart will be intense.

I observed Warren High School wrestle a summer tournament last week, competition was marginal. Stewart was impressive, exceptionally athletic, solid in all positions, finishes consistently. The University of Iowa should push hard for Stewart, Hawkeyes have deep connections and broad influence in Illinois high school wrestling; Alex Tsirtsis, Cory Clark, Williams brothers, Mike Mena, Anthony Cassioppi, et al.

Last edited:
Reactions: KYHWKY
PSU had four champs and two 7th placers in 2021 and scored 113.5. If they had four champs in 2020 and a 5th placer, they would have been hard pressed to score any higher. That's if everything breaks right. Conservatively, Iowa has 130+ points in 2020. The 2020 team for Iowa was slightly better than the 2021 team that scored 129. I'm not sure why people can't just admit that PSU didn't have enough horses that year, or in 2021. Its not like admitting it automatically gives Iowa another title.
You know exactly why "they" can't admit it

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT