ADVERTISEMENT

Recruitting thread from nebby site.

5th best winning % and 2nd most wins isn't 'blue blood' for the Cubs?
Cctv+america_d0108a_5370122.gif

Nebraska is done, stick a fork in them. They have no natural advantages and they are not a destination school. No kid grows up dreaming to be a Husker anymore. It’s a place where dreams go to die. Not a blue blood.

You clearly have no idea what the term "Blue Blood" means. Of course Nebraska is a blue blood. Now go educate yourself on college football. Or...if you feel compelled to continue making boneheaded comments, I guess that's your choice. But understand that when you make ridiculous comments like the one above, people will laugh at you. Good luck..

You clearly have no idea what the term "Blue Blood" means. Of course Nebraska is a blue blood. Now go educate yourself on college football. Or...if you feel compelled to continue making boneheaded comments, I guess that's your choice. But understand that when you make ridiculous comments like the one above, people will laugh at you. Good luck..
Blue Blood means different things to different people, as you can see from the thread. But keep clinging to history if it comforts you.

Boy oh boy, you know it is off season when we are having a discussion on blue bloods:
Would Minnesota be a blue blood, Chicago U, USC, etc.........who gives a shit

Reactions: eyeohuh
[QUOTE="Suterma
Rank Team Won
1 Michigan 943
2 Notre Dame 906
3 (T) Ohio State 898
3 (T) Texas 898

Not disagreeing with you, but I'd like to see the list of OFFICIAL BLUE BLOODS.

Blue bloods come and go. It seems like the only real qualification you need to become a blue blood is a good coach that builds a culture of excellence over 4-5 years and your school needs to emphasize football (ie fill a stadium). People that say Iowa could never become a blue blood football school are wrong.

Blue bloods come and go. It seems like the only real qualification you need to become a blue blood is a good coach that builds a culture of excellence over 4-5 years and your school needs to emphasize football (ie fill a stadium). People that say Iowa could never become a blue blood football school are wrong.
So Boise State is a blue blood but Texas, Nebraska and Miami are not?

There is a reason why coaches from non blue bloods jump ship, $$$$$ and prestige. Chris Peterson left for Washington and I would bet that even Paul Chryst would leave a school that meets two decades of your criteria for USC if they came calling.

Michigan, Ohio State and Notre Dame are the "it" schools of the midwest. Throw Penn State in there as well, they can attract higher profile players and coaches than any other program in the region.

If there was an opening at one of these schools compared to a Minnesota or Indiana or Iowa and a high profile coach had his choosing I think it would be obvious where his interest is.

Iowa has great fans and facilities, much better than Miami but they aren't winning many recruiting battles against them. Michigan is, Ohio State is, Notre Dame is and Penn State is. This proves it's not all about location or facilities. It's that cache these kids hear about and know about because legacies have been forged and icons have played and coached there.

That is something that has been built up for decades.

LSU. And Mich definitely isn’t a blue blood anymore. I’d put Wis & Mich St above them.

As an Ohio State fan, I'm always happy for an opportunity to put down Michigan, but the very concept of "blue blood" has a very significant historical component, and I would have to say that, notwithstanding their recent problems, it's way too early to take them off the "blue blood" list.

If Iowa wins a National Championship in your lifetime, will the fact that the media doesn't see them as a blue blood dampen your excitement?

It's just a made up thing that doesn't equate to present or future successes. Sure it is easier to win at these schools but it doesn't guarantee any form of success. Texas has all the advantages in the world and hasn't done much more than Iowa in this decade.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
Being a blue blood ain't that cool to me. I wouldn't date this dude's sister. :confused:

15+ years without a top 10 finish
That just screams blue blood right?!?!? lmao

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
So Boise State is a blue blood but Texas, Nebraska and Miami are not?

There is a reason why coaches from non blue bloods jump ship, $$$$$ and prestige. Chris Peterson left for Washington and I would bet that even Paul Chryst would leave a school that meets two decades of your criteria for USC if they came calling.

Michigan, Ohio State and Notre Dame are the "it" schools of the midwest. Throw Penn State in there as well, they can attract higher profile players and coaches than any other program in the region.

If there was an opening at one of these schools compared to a Minnesota or Indiana or Iowa and a high profile coach had his choosing I think it would be obvious where his interest is.

Iowa has great fans and facilities, much better than Miami but they aren't winning many recruiting battles against them. Michigan is, Ohio State is, Notre Dame is and Penn State is. This proves it's not all about location or facilities. It's that cache these kids hear about and know about because legacies have been forged and icons have played and coached there.

That is something that has been built up for decades.
I'll agree comparing braska to boise is pretty silly.
But no more so than trying to compare braska to osu/nd/etc!
There isn't a single high school recruit out there that remembers seeing braska even finish top 10(and a whopping one time in the top 20).....

As an Ohio State fan, I'm always happy for an opportunity to put down Michigan, but the very concept of "blue blood" has a very significant historical component, and I would have to say that, notwithstanding their recent problems, it's way too early to take them off the "blue blood" list.
Yep, even though I hate jimmy!!!!
Mi has had ONE coach that didn't bring them a top 10 finish since the 1930s....thats pretty crazy!

Sigh...here we go again. The blue bloods of college football were crowned during the 60's and 70's when college football hit the mainstream. At that time, there were only a handful of games on a week and there were a group of college football teams that were powerhouses for the bulk of that era and, for the most part, beyond. Those teams became the media darlings and are the blue bloods of college football. Examples are Michigan, tOSU, Nebraska, Alabama, Oklahoma, etc.

Teams can fall out of that status, at least temporarily, with an extended bout of mediocrity, but even then it seems like the media is just waiting for them to rise again. An example of a team that seems to have fallen out of favor is USC. Michigan is an example of a team that the media desperately wants to make it back to powerhouse status. Nebraska is on the verge of falling out of favor like USC. If either of those two programs has a couple great seasons, they'll be put right back on their perch.

Can a new team break into blue blood status? Like the blue blood in the realm of wealth, you can have the money, but you're new money for a long time. You have to sustain success for a long, long time to become a blue blood...if that can really happen at all. The litmus test is how much the media pays attention to you when times are bad. Look at Oregon. They were media darlings when they were winning, but nobody pays any attention to them now. Michigan sucked for years and yet each year the media was certain that was the year they reclaimed their rightful place in the college football world. That, in a nutshell, is the very definition of a blue blood.

Reactions: Mudge1026
There isn't a single high school recruit out there that remembers seeing braska even finish top 10(and a whopping one time in the top 20).....
Fair enough.

Well-timed post on your part. (Ha Ha!). You should probably mention our lack of relevance to the two 4-star recruits from Florida that committed to us in the last 12 hours. :D

Last edited:
Still can't tackle or block. Soft very soft.

Haven't you heard? We got a new coach a month or so ago. Just to bring you up to speed, his name was Mike Riley. Nice guy, bad coach. And he hired some bad coaches underneath him.

Our OLine coach, Mike Cavanaugh, and his initial DC, Mark Banker. Then after he fired Banker, he brought in the Iowa Wiz Kid himself, Bob Diaco. I still think Diaco had to somehow be on your payroll. He couldn't have been that bad without taking some secret payola from your school.

I honestly think you should ship the Iowa team MVP Award to Lincoln, NE to our previous Chancellor, Harvey Perlman, who is the dope that hired our previous AD Shawn Eichorst, who hired Mike Riley. He did more for your chances of beating us than the Iowa team did. BTW, does he have a close relative or one of his kids that works for Iowa? He couldn't have done a worse job making an AD hire if he tried. At very least your school should send him a Thank You card for being so inept.

Haven't you heard? We got a new coach a month or so ago. Just to bring you up to speed, his name was Mike Riley. Nice guy, bad coach. And he hired some bad coaches underneath him.

Our OLine coach, Mike Cavanaugh, and his initial DC, Mark Banker. Then after he fired Banker, he brought in the Iowa Wiz Kid himself, Bob Diaco. I still think Diaco had to somehow be on your payroll. He couldn't have been that bad without taking some secret payola from your school.

I honestly think you should ship the Iowa team MVP Award to Lincoln, NE to our previous Chancellor, Harvey Perlman, who is the dope that hired our previous AD Shawn Eichorst, who hired Mike Riley. He did more for your chances of beating us than the Iowa team did. BTW, does he have a close relative or one of his kids that works for Iowa? He couldn't have done a worse job making an AD hire if he tried. At very least your school should send him a Thank You card for being so inept.

Lather, rinse, repeat,
Like clockwork.

You are an idiot.

There are eight blue bloods...

Bama
USC
Notre Dame
Oklahoma
Nebraska
Ohio State
Michigan
Texas

I'd say this list is down to 7. Actually, keep it at 8 but replace Nebraska with Penn State.

Every one of the schools mentioned here gets talked about by ESPN whether they are winning or losing. If they are mediocre or losing the ESPN types still cover them and talk about when they will regain their place at the top. Nebraska hasn't been talked about in quite a while by the ESPN types. If they win a couple of games they have not been vaulted to the top of the rankings. It's been pretty dead for them for a while.

Blue Blood means different things to different people, as you can see from the thread. But keep clinging to history if it comforts you.

Blue Blood has a definition. You can't just decide that you disagree with the definition of a word...unless you're from Iowa I guess.

BLAM!

Well-timed post on your part. (Ha Ha!). You should probably mention our lack of relevance to the two 4-star recruits from Florida that committed to us in the last 12 hours. :D
I see you guys are still ignoring the positions you should be worrying about :D

yep, thats it!
that is why you gave up 30+ to ark st. that is why you got beatdown by or psu osu and even mn LMAO

has your new coach signed a single lineman yet, doesn't look like it

I'd say this list is down to 7. Actually, keep it at 8 but replace Nebraska with Penn State.

Every one of the schools mentioned here gets talked about by ESPN whether they are winning or losing. If they are mediocre or losing the ESPN types still cover them and talk about when they will regain their place at the top. Nebraska hasn't been talked about in quite a while by the ESPN types. If they win a couple of games they have not been vaulted to the top of the rankings. It's been pretty dead for them for a while.
I think this is a good point. Does the media talk about Nebraska at all anymore? The mid to late 2000’s they got talked about because it was rare to see them lose that much. Now it’s just become normal and it’s not news that they lose. I’d say Nebraska has definitely fallen from the list of “blue bloods”. BUT, they also have a shorter path to getting on the list than Iowa does.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Replace Nebraska with Alabama and that's a decent list, along with possibly Penn State.
Alabama is already on the list, bud

And you want to add Penn State and remove Nebraska lol

Nebraska has more national titles, conference titles, wins, bowl games, all-americans, heismans, nfl drat picks etc

Besides wrestling, what has Iowa ever been good at? Nebraska has proven results in all of our different sports. If you ask me, what worth does Iowa bring to the conference? The only argument you have against the Nebraska fan base is that we haven't been relevant in th last 20 years? Come on guys move on, Nebraska is going anywhere and last night proved it

98-84

GBR

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT