ADVERTISEMENT

Reflections from the weekend

Redm18

HR MVP
Feb 16, 2020
Hey now that I'm back home and working I thought I would post some of my highlights or thoughts from the weekend.
  • Snow made the trip up suck.
  • We got some great food in Ann Arbor between Palm Palace, Buddy's Pizza and The Golden Egg for breakfast we had 3 winners for our sit down meals.
  • The Crissler Center is a nice place good views, good parking good restrooms, good food a pretty touch notch facility
  • The tournament I think was run well, things kept moving decent announcer, fun atmosphere
  • Iowa was represented well in the crowd I would guess Iowa and Penn state were about tied for number of fans followed by Michigan followed by Ohio State
  • Iowa I though wrestled well. Other than a few frustrations of close losses by Warner and Brands
  • Spencer Lee is not human this will be the last time I will see him live in an Iowa Singlet as we are not going to the NCAAs and it makes me real sad.
  • Real Woods is the Real Deal
  • Max Murrin looked nails all tournament. I see him on the podium and as a dark horse to make a run.
  • Cass continues to be the 3rd best at the weight. I wish he would end up on the same side of Parris and I thing that's his best chance to sneak into the Finals
  • What the hell was the deal with the mats? I saw more concussions than I have ever seen before at a tournament. I feel like this is a really big miss on an otherwise great tournament.

Great recap, glad you had a good time. Someone that I work with was able to go too and verbally gave me an almost word for word rundown of their experience as you did...FWIW. In both cases...I am jelly, I would have loved to have been there too!

A comment about the mats...the TV broadcasters must have been trained to say the word "Resilite" every 30 seconds or risk a fatal electrical shock :), as they pimped them repeatedly...but they really did seem to be too firm, etc.

Great weekend.
Snow sucked driving in Friday.
Ann Arbor very welcoming city.
Great arena. You walk around it and it feels like it took two mins.
Buddy’s Pizza and blimpyburger perfect spots.
Ran out of ice cream before the finals.
Refillable popcorn was amazing with two young kids.
Spencer Lee coming up into the stands after Woods match to do signatures and pictures for the last time that my kids will have that experience. He took a security guard with him and a running timer on that guy’s phone.
8 out of 10 wrestled to their seed or better (I think).
Drive home much better without the snow.

Great recap, glad you had a good time. Someone that I work with was able to go too and verbally gave me an almost word for word rundown of their experience as you did...FWIW. In both cases...I am jelly, I would have loved to have been there too!

A comment about the mats...the TV broadcasters must have been trained to say the word "Resilite" every 30 seconds or risk a fatal electrical shock :), as they pimped them repeatedly...but they really did seem to be too firm, etc.
I believe the Resilite fascination was all Sparky…… he learned a new word after they told him to chill with mat return

Ironside and Grace were also talking about the covering for the mats being harder than usual and preventing the Resilite from properly cushioning falls.

My most memorable moment was after the Saturday night session. The PSU crowd cheered when Dean defeated Warner.

Well, after the session, some lady, in black and gold, went up to the guy sitting near me, wearing Blue and White.

Lady: Do you have a son wrestling here? Well, I do. I respect Dean and never said a bad word about him. I'm Warner's Mom and you are classless for cheering for Dean and looking right at me.

Guy: I didn't know you.

Lady: well I'm Warner's Mom and your behavior is disrespectful.

Guy: OK, I won't clap when your son wrestles.

My most memorable moment was after the Saturday night session. The PSU crowd cheered when Dean defeated Warner.

Well, after the session, some lady, in black and gold, went up to the guy sitting near me, wearing Blue and White.

Lady: Do you have a son wrestling here? Well, I do. I respect Dean and never said a bad word about him. I'm Warner's Mom and you are classless for cheering for Dean and looking right at me.

Guy: I didn't know you.

Lady: well I'm Warner's Mom and your behavior is disrespectful.

Guy: OK, I won't clap when your son wrestles.
Csb?
The c certainly doesn’t stand for classy. Not surprising

Hey now that I'm back home and working I thought I would post some of my highlights or thoughts from the weekend.
  • Snow made the trip up suck.
  • We got some great food in Ann Arbor between Palm Palace, Buddy's Pizza and The Golden Egg for breakfast we had 3 winners for our sit down meals.
  • The Crissler Center is a nice place good views, good parking good restrooms, good food a pretty touch notch facility
  • The tournament I think was run well, things kept moving decent announcer, fun atmosphere
  • Iowa was represented well in the crowd I would guess Iowa and Penn state were about tied for number of fans followed by Michigan followed by Ohio State
  • Iowa I though wrestled well. Other than a few frustrations of close losses by Warner and Brands
  • Spencer Lee is not human this will be the last time I will see him live in an Iowa Singlet as we are not going to the NCAAs and it makes me real sad.
  • Real Woods is the Real Deal
  • Max Murrin looked nails all tournament. I see him on the podium and as a dark horse to make a run.
  • Cass continues to be the 3rd best at the weight. I wish he would end up on the same side of Parris and I thing that's his best chance to sneak into the Finals
  • What the hell was the deal with the mats? I saw more concussions than I have ever seen before at a tournament. I feel like this is a really big miss on an otherwise great tournament.

Watching the wrestling at the BIG tourney only reinforced what I have seen all year. Wrestling, overall has become very boring.
When I want to watch good wrestling, I watch Spencer Lee's match and then switch over to youtube and watch Brands, Ironside, Schwab, Alger and other former hawkeyes who attacked from the opening whistle to the end.
Ah, the good old days.

Personally, Im more intrigued by this Hawk team as any past teams. There are so many storylines yet to be played out.
1. Will Spencer Lee complete the unthinkable? Him being at Iowa is nothing short of Dan Gable.
2. Can Real pull off what Eiermann had in his fingertips at 141?
3. Will one of our favorites Mad Max finally get that podium?
4. Cobe? Small town Iowa boy gets a big stage to throw a few guys.
5. Big Bull fan but I have to wonder if PK would have fared better last year. Its his run now.
6. Can Abe fight through the pitfalls of his career and pick up a podium win?
7. JWar? Its go time. Put the doubters to rest.
8. Cass? We know he can, these 2 are not Gable S. Look out if he gets to Saturday night.

Personally, Im more intrigued by this Hawk team as any past teams. There are so many storylines yet to be played out.
1. Will Spencer Lee complete the unthinkable? Him being at Iowa is nothing short of Dan Gable.
2. Can Real pull off what Eiermann had in his fingertips at 141?
3. Will one of our favorites Mad Max finally get that podium?
4. Cobe? Small town Iowa boy gets a big stage to throw a few guys.
5. Big Bull fan but I have to wonder if PK would have fared better last year. Its his run now.
6. Can Abe fight through the pitfalls of his career and pick up a podium win?
7. JWar? Its go time. Put the doubters to rest.
8. Cass? We know he can, these 2 are not Gable S. Look out if he gets to Saturday night.
Double secret like for all of this

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT