ADVERTISEMENT

Replacements for Tom…

Ok … seriously what about that Coleman Scoot fella… seems to have a strong kung fu grip on modern wrestling

Reactions: js8793
I would be interested in seeing what Schwab could do with Iowa’s resources.

He’s shown an open mindedness that TNT haven’t. His staff is diverse and all his kids can scramble, but still wrestle hard as hell like “iowa style.”

Really good relationship with AWA and has deep Georgia connections through Roper. Georgia is a big time up and coming talent bed.

Assuming you couldn’t lure Cunningham or DT, Doug would be my #1 name.

I would be interested in seeing how Mike Grey would do at Iowa. Young coach, promotes an exciting style of wrestling, and has the relationships out east where all the talent is.

Do I think Brands will be replaced? No way.

Reactions: artradley
I don't think either one is necessarily ready to head up blue blood program (although it feels way less blue blood tonight)...but not bad ideas.
Both Gold medal winners, 35 years old or younger, sharp and well spoken, versatile styles, name recognition among kids, connections in various parts of the country... what's not to like? FFS we're being run by a group of guys that couldn't get an athlete registered for the big ten tourney on time for the 2nd year in a row. I'll take my chances.

I would be interested in seeing how Mike Grey would do at Iowa. Young coach, promotes an exciting style of wrestling, and has the relationships out east where all the talent is.

Do I think Brands will be replaced? No way.
cornell is just as good a job as iowa and near home for him

Reactions: redghost1974
I don't think either one is necessarily ready to head up blue blood program (although it feels way less blue blood tonight)...but not bad ideas.
Yeah I think hiring anyone as a head coach that doesn’t at least have some solid experience as an assistant is setting them up for failure.

There is a big gap between Penn St and every other program. I think at this point, it’s important to find some guys to come into HWC and maybe on staff that can replicate that culture. Wrestling has advanced beyond out working your competition. With 3 point takedowns, we need to get someone on staff that can develop offensive skills, not just grind. Even when we are in on shots, we give up our legs and either don’t finish or get out scrambled. Penn St has more money, more talent and more world class talent in NLWC. It isn’t going to be a quick fix, but we have got to start working towards closing those gaps. Can’t keep doing the same thing.

Hes just waiting down at osu to take over, hell he might already be the unofficial coach.

The fact you took the OP seriously is impressive on some level.

Nothing would change with Schwab

Schwab is where he should be. Other than a few rare exceptions his problems with injuries, burnout, and having guys falls short of expectations are very Brands-esque.

That said he’s a fantastic guy and a good recruiter who would work his ass off, and would no doubt be a guy we’d be proud to have in charge. It’s impossible not to love the guy.

Schwab
Ramos
Insert semi recent PSU upper weight
Spencer

I could get behind that.

There is a big gap between Penn St and every other program. I think at this point, it’s important to find some guys to come into HWC and maybe on staff that can replicate that culture. Wrestling has advanced beyond out working your competition. With 3 point takedowns, we need to get someone on staff that can develop offensive skills, not just grind. Even when we are in on shots, we give up our legs and either don’t finish or get out scrambled. Penn St has more money, more talent and more world class talent in NLWC. It isn’t going to be a quick fix, but we have got to start working towards closing those gaps. Can’t keep doing the same thing.
They always say in the NFL it's a copy cat league. Teams copy what is working. We need to do the same because our stuff isn't working in recruiting, development, scoring, winning individual titles, scrambling.......

The fact you took the OP seriously is impressive on some level.

Schwab is where he should be. Other than a few rare exceptions his problems with injuries, burnout, and having guys falls short of expectations are very Brands-esque.

That said he’s a fantastic guy and a good recruiter who would work his ass off, and would no doubt be a guy we’d be proud to have in charge. It’s impossible not to love the guy.

Schwab
Ramos
Insert semi recent PSU upper weight
Spencer

I could get behind that.
Can take Spencer off that list. Talked to him for a bit this week and he has zero interest in coaching until after 2028. He’s all in on his training. Said he’s made it clear enough to everyone that nobody from other schools have reached out either.

Can take Spencer off that list. Talked to him for a bit this week and he has zero interest in coaching until after 2028. He’s all in on his training. Said he’s made it clear enough to everyone that nobody from other schools have reached out either.

Works for me.

Schwab
J’Den Cox
Ramos
Random recent PSU middleweight

(Yes I’ve had some beers.)

no one will consistently beat Cael until either he retires, or Casey Cunningham leaves to take him down himself somewhere. He should be top of every schools list.

Looks like Casey Cunningham has a young family. Would need the Brinks truck, but absolutely worth taking that shot. If he's looking to establish his own legacy as a head coach.

It's be sweet to seen the man behind the man step forward and knock down Cael.

So about 30 years ago Iowa JUST missed the biggest wrestling recruit possibly ever.

I say we don’t make that mistake again and hire this recruit now as the next head coach of the University of Iowa.

AC SLATER
acSlater-in-wrestling-uniform.png

So you guys want to get rid of the only Coach that hasn't fallen out of the top 5 for damn near 17 years and is the last one to top PSU at NCAAs a few years back.

Morgan-Freeman-Saying-Good-Luck-The-Dark-Knight.gif
So just be a loyalist and hope this gets turned around?
Good luck.

Iowa Hawkeye Wrestling just got beat by 105 points. Let me repeat that:
Iowa Hawkeye Wrestling just got beat by 105 points. 105!!

So you guys want to get rid of the only Coach that hasn't fallen out of the top 5 for damn near 17 years and is the last one to top PSU at NCAAs a few years back.

Let's at least start with the assistants. I like both Morningstar and Telford and have absolutely nothing against them personally. Both seem like outstanding men and definitely deserve to keep coaching somewhere. The standards at Iowa aren't being met and change is necessary. The biggest issue is the lack of diversity. The entire staff is and has only been Iowa alum for an extremely long time. And considering Iowa hasn't produced elite, best in the nation caliber wrestlers in an extremely long time (other than Lee who is still competing), it's time to look outside of the program for assistants. There's a ton of talent out there, and IMO a ton of talent that's on the tail end of their competitive years that Iowa needs to be ready to hire - the DTs, Dakes, Snyder's, Burroughs, etc.

It'll be the next generation of coach that finally knocks off PSU. Iowa needs to be looking ahead and getting that type of talent in the room as assistants with the allure of taking over as HC once Tom and Terry retire (or at the end of their current contract).

PSU has produced an insane level of talent in the past decade and they won't have room to retain all of them as coaches. Iowa simply has to start bringing in guys who didn't wrestle for Iowa. Gable came from a rival.

Last edited:

I generally enjoy your posts as even handed but now you're just in stage 4 denial. That's the problem with Iowan's in general, they never realize it's too late until it's too late. Iowan's don't like upsetting the herd and are loyal beyond fault, to the extent of their own demise. They are the the example of the frog in the pot of warm water. When it boils you are no longer Morgan Freeman in your lack of long term vision for the program. In truth it's all more than your feelings more than the Brand's legacy. Iowan's can't hire anyone else and even if they do, they have to have a connection to Iowa. I wish Penn State had that mentality when the my needed to make their hire, Cael might just have been the 2nd ISU wrestler to perpetuate the Iowa dynasty. That is what people need to get past. Stop with feelings and start with logic. Honestly I don't care what yours or anyone's feelings are, fire broadside.

no one will consistently beat Cael until either he retires, or Casey Cunningham leaves to take him down himself somewhere. He should be top of every schools list.
Casey is 48 this year. If he had wanted to be a head coach, he'd be one already. Besides, he has a sweet setup at PSU. I would certainly kick the tires if I'm Iowa but you better have a Plan B because I don't think he would say yes.

I did not want to even comment ,but I Will.
Brands is not going anywhere!
We all knew this season was going to be a down one, we lost 3 starters to a BS investigation and we redshirted a few hammers, yet we still had a pretty decent season! We can expect a few changes and great season next year.
Ayala getting to the finals was epic, he was surprised himself, he will be a machine next season!
Caliendo is a beast and will Excell the next few years.
Our linup next season could very well be contending for a title, catching PSU or getting close for any team with any coaches is a longshot! (some cannot comprehend this) yet we may have a team by next season that can stand toe to toe with them! YES I SAID IT, odds are so far against us yet we will be the only ones that can atleast get close, mark my words! LETS GO BRANDs HAWKS

Oh And A big Lets Go HWC US open in about 1 month
SPENCER LEE gonna make good wrestlers look not so good.
THIS IS GONNA BE GREAT!!!

I did not want to even comment ,but I Will.
Brands is not going anywhere!
We all knew this season was going to be a down one, we lost 3 starters to a BS investigation and we redshirted a few hammers, yet we still had a pretty decent season! We can expect a few changes and great season next year.
Ayala getting to the finals was epic, he was surprised himself, he will be a machine next season!
Caliendo is a beast and will Excell the next few years.
Our linup next season could very well be contending for a title, catching PSU or getting close for any team with any coaches is a longshot! (some cannot comprehend this) yet we may have a team by next season that can stand toe to toe with them! YES I SAID IT, odds are so far against us yet we will be the only ones that can atleast get close, mark my words! LETS GO BRANDs HAWKS

Oh And A big Lets Go HWC US open in about 1 month
SPENCER LEE gonna make good wrestlers look not so good.
THIS IS GONNA BE GREAT!!!
Who are these hammers you speak of? Arnold…sure he should do very well next year. Kueter…he has the potential to do very well, but he needs about 20 more pounds and only wrestles half the season. An undersized heavyweight that only wrestles the second half is not a good recipe for success in March. Are you expecting one of the incoming true freshman to do what Spencer did his freshman year?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT