ADVERTISEMENT

Riley Mulvey reclassifies to 2021

great news after Jack transferred I said it would be nice if Mulvey could come in a year early of course I was only hoping at the time.

Great news! Sounds like this young man was starting to explode on the recruiting scene. Offer from Syracuse tells a lot. And Michigan was getting in with him as well but hadn't offered yet when he chose Iowa. He'll be a very solid contributor, I believe.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Good news. Still think it would be too much to ask to expect a true frosh big man to contribute much so hope Robbins or Rebraca comes in.

I read somewhere last night that F McC has not landed a highly ranked recruit not his sons in some time. Other than the obvious, ESPN has Riley graded 83 and a 4*. Last season a grade of 83 placed a kid between 73 (highest 83) and 87 (lowest 83) in the ESPN top 100. This is a huge gain and coming in next year at least provides a some hope at center. Completely changes the outlook for next season.

Last edited:
This is an interesting piece of news.

We now have one scholarship available for 2021-2022. In Men's basketball, you can have 13 on scholarship.

ONE ADDITIONAL THING TO MONITOR: due to covid-19, 2020-2021 was considered a "free year" by the NCAA, so seniors Luka Garza and Jordan Bohannon could have come back for the 2021-2022 season. So, anyone listed below as SOPHOMORES, JUNIORS AND SENIORS could potentially play/graduate a year later than CURRENTLY expected.

Current Roster (12 currently on scholarship; 1 scholarship available):

FRESHMEN: 2 players

6'7" F Payton Sandfort (***)

6'11" C Riley Mulvey (***)

SOPHOMORES: 6 players

6'11" C Josh Ogundele (***)

6'4" G Tony Perkins (***)

6'2" G Ahron Ulis (***)

6'8" F Keegan Murray (Not Rated)

6'8" F Kris Murray (Not Rated)

6'9" SF Patrick McCaffery (****)

JUNIORS: 2 players

6'4" SG CJ Fredrick (***)

5'10" PG Joe Toussaint (***)

SENIORS : 2 players

6'6" SG Joe Wieskamp (****)

6'5" G/F Connor McCaffery (****)

We now have one scholarship available for 2021-2022. In Men's basketball, you can have 13 on scholarship.

ONE ADDITIONAL THING TO MONITOR: due to covid-19, 2020-2021 was considered a "free year" by the NCAA, so seniors Luka Garza and Jordan Bohannon could have come back for the 2021-2022 season. So, anyone listed below as SOPHOMORES, JUNIORS AND SENIORS could potentially play/graduate a year later than CURRENTLY expected.

Current Roster (12 currently on scholarship; 1 scholarship available):

FRESHMEN: 2 players

6'7" F Payton Sandfort (***)

6'11" C Riley Mulvey (***)

SOPHOMORES: 6 players

6'11" C Josh Ogundele (***)

6'4" G Tony Perkins (***)

6'2" G Ahron Ulis (***)

6'8" F Keegan Murray (Not Rated)

6'8" F Kris Murray (Not Rated)

6'9" SF Patrick McCaffery (****)

JUNIORS: 2 players

6'4" SG CJ Fredrick (***)

5'10" PG Joe Toussaint (***)

SENIORS : 2 players

6'6" SG Joe Wieskamp (****)

6'5" G/F Connor McCaffery (****)
Which means there's not room for both Robbins and Rebraca if Weisy were to return. If Weisy surprises and says is he returning and both Robbins and Rebraca want to play here...take Connor off scholly for the good of team. Fran can certainly afford 1 year of in-state tuition.

Which means there's not room for both Robbins and Rebraca if Weisy were to return. If Weisy surprises and says is he returning and both Robbins and Rebraca want to play here...take Connor off scholly for the good of team. Fran can certainly afford 1 year of in-state tuition.
Sorry. Margaret has some big trips and big expenditures planned.

I read somewhere last night that F McC has not landed a highly ranked recruit not his sons in some time. Other than the obvious, ESPN has Riley graded 83 and a 4*. Last season the grades of 83 were between 73 (highest 83) and 87 (lowest 83) in the ESPN top 100. This is a huge gain and coming in next year at least provides a some hope at center. Completely changes the outlook for next season.

i don’t think Ulis was top 100 but i believe he was top 25 point guard and I don’t care what the ranking was but the Murray twins were GREAT signings.

I’m old and slow but I don’t get this reclassification thing. If you graduate this spring how do you reclassify?

If you have enough credits to graduate early, you can graduate early. My oldest son was 2 credits shy at the end of his Jr year. If he had thought he might graduate at the end of that year, he could have taken the 2 extra (he had a study hall) to do so.

My guess is Mulvey has been weighing this for a while and took enough this spring to give himself options.

Reactions: Slim45
I look at Riley's decision along the lines of what Joe W is right now. Does 1 more year at the same level do anything to better prepare me for the next level? Or will spending that next year working with next level folks be better for my development?

Same as TC.

I half joked when Nunge went in portal that Riley should reclassify... but in looking at his physical development / age / and the fact he's academically advanced I sort of had an idea this could happen.

FWIW, Mulvey is already 18 years old, so this makes sense. Also, this decision to reclassify was independent of any potential transfer portal news. Basically, it's not related to anything with Liam Robbins. Mulvey and his family have been weighing this option for some time.
sounds like we would have known this a long time ago if we had been subscribers

;)

Sorry. Margaret has some big trips and big expenditures planned.
I'll bet that with Fran's salary, no matter how many trips or expenditures she has planned, paying for 1 or both of her sons tuition to Iowa wouldn't be problem.
But we all know that Fran is a high school recruiter first and foremost so Margaret is probably safe to raid the checkbook as she sees fit.

So, a guy who wasn’t expected to contribute as a freshman in 2023 is going to join the team in 2022 as a 12th grader? Not sure this is newsworthy. He’s isn’t ready to bang down low in the big 10 matching up against the Cockburns and Garzas of the world. Not sure he even matches up against Ogundale at this point, who has 2 years on him. Bigs like this take time to develop, a la Les Jepsen.

So, a guy who wasn’t expected to contribute as a freshman in 2023 is going to join the team in 2022 as a 12th grader? Not sure this is newsworthy. He’s isn’t ready to bang down low in the big 10 matching up against the Cockburns and Garzas of the world. Not sure he even matches up against Ogundale at this point, who has 2 years on him. Bigs like this take time to develop, a la Les Jepsen.

Definitely a point worth noting but I think you missed a couple of things. First, I don't think Riley is a 12th grader. I think he was going to an academy next season so he'll be a legit freshman. Second, Riley's development curve starts pretty high, already a top 100 player with a huge frame. Of course, like all incoming freshmen, he could fall flat on his ass as a player.

His video is very impressive although not voluminous (like the Murrays). Riley is far more advanced than Leslie was when arrived on campus.

i don’t think Ulis was top 100 but i believe he was top 25 point guard and I don’t care what the ranking was but the Murray twins were GREAT signings.
Ahron got a 4th Rivals star. I don't know Rivals recruiting site well so I don't know if 4* are restricted to top 100 guys. Edit: looked at Rivals. Ahron was national number 112.

ESPN assigns a grade. Everyone beyond 81 is a four star (maybe 80). I haven't done this for a couple of seasons but if you go position by position and count up the number of 4*s it adds up to around 120 each season . Sometimes a few more sometimes a few less. Based on ties in grade both Jordan and Joey T were between like 117 and 123, as I recall from their senior seasons. ESPN also does not even out the positions in their top 100 so you might have a half dozen centers and 30 or 40 point guards. Edit: Class of 2021 ESPN has 152 4*s so that's grown since Joey Ts senior season. Rivals has 110 four stars which I think is about the same. Yeah, boring day.

Riley's grade of 83 would put him in the top 100 in any season. Since he's now in the class of 2021, and I just checked the most updated list for '21, and Riley is between 78-87. 77 is a grade of 84 and 88 is a grade of 82. Any way you look at it this is a literal and metaphorical huge recruit for Iowa. Bad math, adding Riley into the group its 78-88.

Last edited:
Reactions: perryhawk
Can concur on one of them. I haven’t seen enough to comment in the second.

Definitely a point worth noting but I think you missed a couple of things. First, I don't think Riley is a 12th grader. I think he was going to an academy next season so he'll be a legit freshman. Second, Riley's development curve starts pretty high, already a top 100 player with a huge frame. Of course, like all incoming freshmen, he could fall flat on his ass as a player.

His video is very impressive although not voluminous (like the Murrays). Riley is far more advanced than Leslie was when arrived on campus.
Chauncey Leslie?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT