ADVERTISEMENT

Riverboat Fran draws up the 3-ball

eyesofhawk

HR MVP
Apr 17, 2011
Bet a buddy $50 during the last time out that Fran would draw up a 3. Just saying.

Beautiful play. Similar to one Golden St. used for Klay Thompson a couple weeks ago. But I honestly can't remember the last time Iowa was down 2 late and Fran didn't draw up a 3. You run a perfect play perfectly and still don't get the result. That's because not everyone is built to step up and knock that shot down in that situation. Even if a player has the clutch gene it usually has to be developed. A guy will very often miss that game winner, that he knows has been drawn up for him, the first time or two he gets the opportunity. It's very hard to hit a game winner, that has been drawn up for you, from that distance, on your first try. Even if it feels like a true shot, it doesn't always go down from that distance. I remember Bruce Webber drawing up a 3 for Illinois as they trailed UNC by 2 late in the championship game. I believe it was Deron Williams that got off a true looking 3 and it rimmed in and out.

If you can draw up a wide open 3 you ought to be able to draw up something that can get you downhill. Now you have a chance to get free throws, or an offensive putback, or a much better chance to hit the designed shot from a closer distance.

Can't say that I blame Fran for the call last night. Free throws probably weren't coming. And overtime didn't look that favorable either. But the 3-ball can't be drawn up every time

Bet a buddy $50 during the last time out that Fran would draw up a 3. Just saying.

Beautiful play. Similar to one Golden St. used for Klay Thompson a couple weeks ago. But I honestly can't remember the last time Iowa was down 2 late and Fran didn't draw up a 3. You run a perfect play perfectly and still don't get the result. That's because not everyone is built to step up and knock that shot down in that situation. Even if a player has the clutch gene it usually has to be developed. A guy will very often miss that game winner, that he knows has been drawn up for him, the first time or two he gets the opportunity. It's very hard to hit a game winner, that has been drawn up for you, from that distance, on your first try. Even if it feels like a true shot, it doesn't always go down from that distance. I remember Bruce Webber drawing up a 3 for Illinois as they trailed UNC by 2 late in the championship game. I believe it was Deron Williams that got off a true looking 3 and it rimmed in and out.

If you can draw up a wide open 3 you ought to be able to draw up something that can get you downhill. Now you have a chance to get free throws, or an offensive putback, or a much better chance to hit the designed shot from a closer distance.

Can't say that I blame Fran for the call last night. Free throws probably weren't coming. And overtime didn't look that favorable either. But the 3-ball can't be drawn up every time
Not sure who you want Fran to draw up a play to get downhill to? I mean possibly Murray but he wasn’t able to get downhill all night. Ulis was the only guy able to get to the rim consistently and you know he wasn’t getting a call there. So to me the only other option was to spread the floor and toss it in to Rebraca and let him go to work 1 v 1. Now they might have doubled which meant he also kicks out to Sandfort or Murray for a 3. I’ll take that great look for the win on the road at Sparty any day of the week.

Great play design, but while his players are running around on the last possession he's standing on the sideline with his hands in his pockets and was OK with not using 1 of his 2 TO's. Luckily Connor took the TO so Frannie could show off this great play. Typical, horrible end of game coaching.

Great play design, but while his players are running around on the last possession he's standing on the sideline with his hands in his pockets and was OK with not using 1 of his 2 TO's. Luckily Connor took the TO so Frannie could show off this great play. Typical, horrible end of game coaching.
Sometimes I really wonder if FM gets lost in watching the game versus coaching the game.

Not sure who you want Fran to draw up a play to get downhill to? I mean possibly Murray but he wasn’t able to get downhill all night. Ulis was the only guy able to get to the rim consistently and you know he wasn’t getting a call there. So to me the only other option was to spread the floor and toss it in to Rebraca and let him go to work 1 v 1. Now they might have doubled which meant he also kicks out to Sandfort or Murray for a 3. I’ll take that great look for the win on the road at Sparty any day of the week.
Can we bring back Joe Toussaint?

Sometimes I really wonder if FM gets lost in watching the game versus coaching the game.
As I said in a previous thread Fran is an A+ out of timeouts with plays. We score at a much higher rate than in other games I watch.
However, his use of timeouts and players is on the opposite end of the spectrum. I do think he gets caught up in the emotion of the games rather than the analytics too often. Some of that is on his assistants too as is the plays coming out of timeouts.

I don't know how you can fault McCaffery for that play. I thought it was brilliant. He watched the refs turn the game into a wrestling match all night, who knows what might have happened if he would have sent someone to the rim. Probably just another tackle and no call. I thought that play was showing Peyton a vote of confidence. Too bad he couldn't get either to fall.

It was well designed and executed. I only wish that Ulis would have drove and took the shot instead of pulling up and calling a timeout. He was making his drives all night and I thought the opportunity was there. Oh well. Next game.

I don't know how you can fault McCaffery for that play. I thought it was brilliant. He watched the refs turn the game into a wrestling match all night, who knows what might have happened if he would have sent someone to the rim. Probably just another tackle and no call. I thought that play was showing Peyton a vote of confidence. Too bad he couldn't get either to fall.
It was a well designed play. Also thought it was telling that he chose Sandfort for the shot, and not our All American...

It was a well designed play. Also thought it was telling that he chose Sandfort for the shot, and not our All American...
Just guessing but he probably figured Murray would draw the attention ( which he did) and that would leave Sandfort wide open, which he was. And also what nobody is talking about is that shot was spot on, just long.

Just guessing but he probably figured Murray would draw the attention ( which he did) and that would leave Sandfort wide open, which he was. And also what nobody is talking about is that shot was spot on, just long.
Agree with your comment about Kris to draw attention, BUT I have to believe if he'd have been playing well, they'd have gone to him for the game winner....

Reactions: littlez
Take an easy 2 if you can get it in that situation (down by 2), but a 3-pointer is playing the percentages.

It's far better to get a 30-40% 3-point attempt for the win. Than a 40-50% 2-point attempt for overtime. And getting fouled for two free throws isn't much better for a 70-80% free throw shooter in that situation either.

It has happened for years. I think it was the team that Gassel was on. Very young team that would play their heart out just to be close at the end of the games only to have Fran not use his TO's at the end to get them in a set. Like you said, he either zones out and watches like a fan or he really isn't confident that he can out coach the other guy on one possession to W or L.

Like you said, he either zones out and watches like a fan or he really isn't confident that he can out coach the other guy on one possession to W or L.

Or he believes, like Bobby Knight use to say, that he has practiced this a thousand times and his team should know what to do. Exploit the other team’s lack of prep, rather than allow them to prep during a timeout.

Reactions: littlez

I agree Jabo would have nailed it

Yep exactly - he was clueless out there on the last possession. I doubt a TO would have been called if it wasn't for cmac

Reactions: DEMGR
Or he believes, like Bobby Knight use to say, that he has practiced this a thousand times and his team should know what to do. Exploit the other team’s lack of prep, rather than allow them to prep during a timeout.
You call a TO there every time. No one was moving on offense and it was a free for all. On the road... seconds left...down 2

This gets bungled more often than not. Draw something up and make sure you get a good shot like we did

Reactions: Gus is dead
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT