ADVERTISEMENT

roku 3 vs ruko streaming stick

I have both. If I were to buy again I would by two of the Roku 3. It's faster than the stick. Just seems much more fluent than the the stick. That said, Roku 3 does cost $100 and the stick is only $50. So if you can live without the better performance go with the stick. You can get all the apps on the stick as you can on the 3.

Re: roku 3 vs ruko streaming stick

Have both as well and agree if you can afford it get the 3. But, if you're a traveler throwing the stick in your bag fot hotel use is handy, now that most hotels have TVs with open HDMI ports.

Also, download the remote app for your phone. Works really well, especially if you want to search for something
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Re: roku 3 vs ruko streaming stick

Originally posted by MN.HAWK:
Have both as well and agree if you can afford it get the 3. But, if you're a traveler throwing the stick in your bag fot hotel use is handy, now that most hotels have TVs with open HDMI ports.

Also, download the remote app for your phone. Works really well, especially if you want to search for something

The best feature on the roku 3 is the headphone jack built into the remote. Genius.

Originally posted by fredjr82:
I have both. If I were to buy again I would by two of the Roku 3. It's faster than the stick. Just seems much more fluent than the the stick. That said, Roku 3 does cost $100 and the stick is only $50. So if you can live without the better performance go with the stick. You can get all the apps on the stick as you can on the 3.
I ask again the question I cannot see answered in the ads or in any of these threads: Does any Roku have a web browser?

That is, equipped with only a TV and a Roku, can you surf the web?

Originally posted by Lone Clone:

I ask again the question I cannot see answered in the ads or in any of these threads: Does any Roku have a web browser?

No. Apparently there's a Firefox browser channel you can install, but I've not done anything with that.

Unless you're running a tablet or laptop out for screen mirroring to watch something available only via a browser, I can't imagine browsing the webi on a TV at this point. There's enough typing that it would be a real hassle to do from a phone and the onscreen keyboards are torture. It's just not a good interface for browsing..

Originally posted by hawkifann:

Unless you're running a tablet or laptop out for screen mirroring to watch something available only via a browser, I can't imagine browsing the webi on a TV at this point. There's enough typing that it would be a real hassle to do from a phone and the onscreen keyboards are torture. It's just not a good interface for browsing..
My Vizio Co-Star has a Chrome browser. That's why I've been trying to find out if the other alternatives also have one. Hell, it's the only reason I got the thing. The remote has a full keyboard. I use it frequently, most often to watch Cyclones.TV or to watch one of the pirate sports streaming sites -- although I haven't had much luck with the latter on this vacation. If I'm going to use another device, like a laptop or a pad, I'll just use the Chromecast.

Which one works best with WiFi? We stream our tv at our house and I have the fire sticks on 2 TVs and Apple TV on 2 TVs. The Apple TVs seems to stream fine off of WiFi, but the fire stick is always pausing and skipping when watching a show. Any help would be appreciated.

I have both Roku Stick and Fire Stick. I like the interface in the Roku better. The Fire has two browser apps available which is nice if you watch internet based sports content (good for watching Prep45 online for the MN State Tournaments).

A browser is also helpful when using the stick at a hotel that normally requires you go to a website to enter a password. Used to use Apple TV and there was no way to enter a password. Had to call the IP and then enter in the address directly into the Apple TV. Total hassle. Fire Stick is easy setup from the menu. Have not used the Roku in a hotel so don't know how that works. Fire Stick is great for hotel use.

You can also use the headphone with the streaming stick if you download the roku app/remote to your phone/tablet

Not sure the app was available in 2015, but I certainly use it today. Especially when my kids lose the actual remote.

Reactions: Bro D
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT