ADVERTISEMENT

Ron DeSantis unveils sheriffs’ endorsements as he looks to jumpstart Iowa campaign

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
A slate of Iowa sheriffs and sheriff deputies are endorsing Ron DeSantis for president, his super PAC told the Des Moines Register Thursday as the Florida governor swings through the state on a bus tour he hopes will help jump-start his presidential campaign.

The endorsement list includes two sheriffs who have previously endorsed DeSantis, as well as 11 new ones.

Wayne County Sheriff Keith Davis, who previously announced his endorsement, joined DeSantis at stops in Chariton and Corydon. He said he’s previously voted for Donald Trump but believes the former president “just has too much baggage” this time.

“I think he did great things,” Davis said. “I was happy with the results that he had. But I believe that Governor DeSantis is proven. He's just like our Gov. Reynolds.”

Republican presidential candidate Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis speaks to reporters following a meet and greet at the Hotel Charitone, Thursday, July 27, 2023, in Chariton, Iowa.

But Davis is under no illusions about the steep hill DeSantis will have to climb, particularly in areas of rural Iowa like Wayne County where support for Trump still runs deep.

“I talk to a lot of people, and there's still a lot of support for Trump. There really is,” he said. “And I understand and appreciate their reasoning for that. But … we need to get support from both sides before we can take back the White House. There's a certain amount of Republicans that just will not vote for Donald Trump, and we need to find an alternative.”

In addition to Davis, the list of endorsements includes:

• Marion County Sheriff Jason Sandholdt
  • Grundy County Sheriff Kirk Dolleslager
  • Jefferson County Sheriff Bart Richmond
  • Ringgold County Sheriff Rob Haley
  • Hardin County Sheriff Dave McDaniel
  • Henry County Sheriff Rich McNamee
  • Jackson County Sheriff Brent Kilburg
  • Guthrie County Sheriff Deputy Blake Michelsen
  • Guthrie County Sheriff Deputy Kent Gries
  • Appanoose County Sheriff Deputy Jonathon Printy
  • Cedar County Sheriff Deputy Matt Jackson
  • Appanoose County Sheriff Gary Anderson, who previously endorsed DeSantis

I would add that it's time to reduce Iowa counties to 25. 74 less sheriffs playing this game.
That is crazy that Iowa has 99 counties, especially for a state of its size and population. Florida has 67 which is just about the right number.

That is crazy that Iowa has 99 counties, especially for a state of its size and population. Florida has 67 which is just about the right number.

It was created that way back in the horseback days. One day travel back and forth from the county seat.

People have a tough time giving up their kingdom and their power.

Reactions: joelbc1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT