ADVERTISEMENT

Ryan Kriener

Nov 30, 2008
I know he is not getting a lot of minutes, but according to Yahoo stats, he has 17 pts and 15 Rbs, in 42 minutes of game time. So in essentially a games worth of minutes. That is the best on the team in terms of averages in BOTH categories. Double-Double.

Again, not much to go on, but it would seem he will be more and more of a contributor going forward.

I would think that simply playing so much with Bo and Pemsl would accelerate his ability to contribute a bit. I'm all for him over Uhl right now as long as he's not out there with Williams, Brady, and Baer. Not much offense there.

I like how active he is. He sets good solid screens and seems to always keep himself in good position defensively. He has good foot speed for a big man to get himself back on defensive rotations as well. Offensively, I haven't see him create too many of his own shots, but he can stick the open jumper and get a fair share of points off the glass. If this was 5 years ago, I suspect he would be starting as he sorta reminds me of a young Woodbury a bit, minus the eye poking. :) I like our post depth,especially with future recruits coming in. Now, if we can just get a really athletic guard.....

Last edited:
Agree with other posts. I think he needs more PT and at this point, Uhl doesn't offer any up side. If nothing else, Kriener is a bigger body with 5 fouls to give to protect the rim and Pemsl and Cook. His minutes always come with the second unit in major scrub time, so he isn't getting a lot of post touches. I think Kriener is more athletic / physically gifted than Woodbury. I see him more as a Seth Gorney type player.

I disagree, I don't have anything against Kreiner, but I do really like Uhl as a #9 guy. If we assume a starting 5 of: Jbo, Pete, AW, Cook and Pemsl...that brings Baer, Moss and Williams off the bench. I believe any college coach would love to have Uhl as his #9 man in the rotation:

1. He can play decent D.
2. He can certainly handle the ball well for his size.
3. He does have good size and athleticism.
4. He is able to attack and dunk at the rim unexpectedly - he did that often last year.
5. And he can get hot from the 3-point line.

I'm pretty sure there are not many coaches in the country who have that luxury at their 9-spot.

I certainly can see what everyone else sees, it just hasn't quite clicked for Dom yet. And I agree he shouldn't be the starting 4/5. However, he has all the tools to be a star type of player, but there is something mental/emotional that is preventing that. Honestly, that is exactly what you would love to have coming off the bench.

I would project that we might win a couple of games later on this year in the B1G because Dom comes in and gives exactly what we need.

With all of that said, I like what I see in Ryan, and I think he will be a good player for Fran over the next four years.

Go Hawks!

Reactions: Ree4
Uhl has the ability to get to the rim quite often, he just can't finish for some odd reason. He is being a bit pickier on his 3 point shooting so that is ok. His issue is 100% mental because he's physically pretty gifted and can flex to many positions which is critical off the bench.

I really like Ryan also - you can see where we'll have growing pains with his decision making if he gets more minutes in December, but I think it would be a good investment because once he gets comfortable I think he can add a lot. His 15 foot jumper and FT's look good and that can help keep defenses honest.

Honestly, I can't say I've seen Kreiner do anything bad thus far. It would be nice to see him get a few more minutes to either prove himself one way or the other.

Reactions: And1Hawk and LTHawk
Sorry, I forgot about Brady. I still really like what he brings to the table, so I guess that makes Dom #10. And that makes Ryan number 11, and I like him in that spot as well. Having a freshman big at the end of the bench to bring in during occasions of foul trouble is a nice luxury. I think Fran is getting very close to figuring out the rotation. We need to hope for no more injuries.

Go Hawks!

Sorry, I forgot about Brady. I still really like what he brings to the table, so I guess that makes Dom #10. And that makes Ryan number 11, and I like him in that spot as well. Having a freshman big at the end of the bench to bring in during occasions of foul trouble is a nice luxury. I think Fran is getting very close to figuring out the rotation. We need to hope for no more injuries.

Go Hawks!
I guess when I look at a guy, who's a junior being our #10, then he's just not getting it. He's probably not going to bust out at this point. Play the freshman in a lost season anyways, and get him the experience.

Do you mean the same way Peter jJok busted out last season as a junior?

The reality is, most of the kids that we recruit don't do it until their junior season. I remember something very similar with Jared Uthoff his junior season, and Aaron White his junior season, and Dev marble his junior season.

I understand we all have opinions, mine would be that you not give up on an upperclassman who has been through the wars, who could be on the verge of something special.

Go Hawks!

The reality is, most of the kids that we recruit don't do it until their junior season. I remember something very similar with Jared Uthoff his junior season, and Aaron White his junior season, and Dev marble his junior season.

I understand we all have opinions, mine would be that you not give up on an upperclassman who has been through the wars, who could be on the verge of something special.

Go Hawks!
We are 9 games in to Uhl's Junior year, is he busting out to you? He looks lost right now. White, Marble and Uthoff were all better than Uhl was as a sophomore or freshman, and none had freshman that looked better than they did, their Junior years. I mean, we are comparing guys above that were all in our top 2 to 3 players their Junior years, to a guy who is sitting way down on our bench. If Uhl came out on fire this year the way those others did, we wouldn't be having this argument. I guess that's my point, what are we losing if we play Kreiner over Uhl at this point. I hope Uhl can turn it around, I really do, but so far this year, he looks worse.

Reactions: buttermypancakes
Agree with other posts. I think he needs more PT and at this point, Uhl doesn't offer any up side. If nothing else, Kriener is a bigger body with 5 fouls to give to protect the rim and Pemsl and Cook. His minutes always come with the second unit in major scrub time, so he isn't getting a lot of post touches. I think Kriener is more athletic / physically gifted than Woodbury. I see him more as a Seth Gorney type player.

Kreiner is way more athletic than Gorney.

I do agree though, id rather see Kreiner over Uhl at this point. same with Daily over Ellingson.

I think Kreiner could be a good compliment to Pemsil/Cook.

On defense he can gaurd the 5/paint but O he has a decent jump shot so he can space the floor and allow them room to operate on the block.

Go Hawks!

Its Uhls junior season now and he looks like hes not familiar with organized basketball.

I was high on Doms potential but its just happening.

Reactions: buttermypancakes
I disagree, I don't have anything against Kreiner, but I do really like Uhl as a #9 guy. If we assume a starting 5 of: Jbo, Pete, AW, Cook and Pemsl...that brings Baer, Moss and Williams off the bench. I believe any college coach would love to have Uhl as his #9 man in the rotation:

1. He can play decent D.
2. He can certainly handle the ball well for his size.
3. He does have good size and athleticism.
4. He is able to attack and dunk at the rim unexpectedly - he did that often last year.
5. And he can get hot from the 3-point line.

I'm pretty sure there are not many coaches in the country who have that luxury at their 9-spot.

I certainly can see what everyone else sees, it just hasn't quite clicked for Dom yet. And I agree he shouldn't be the starting 4/5. However, he has all the tools to be a star type of player, but there is something mental/emotional that is preventing that. Honestly, that is exactly what you would love to have coming off the bench.

I would project that we might win a couple of games later on this year in the B1G because Dom comes in and gives exactly what we need.

With all of that said, I like what I see in Ryan, and I think he will be a good player for Fran over the next four years.

Go Hawks!

I would have agreed with you last year, but this kid is a junior and shows 0 signs of improvement. 50 points in 157 minutes with 23 of these being free throws. Does he have the tools? Absolutely. Does he have the passion / desire to improve? IMO, no. I don't see how bringing a guy with no fire / emotion off the bench is going to change his performance.

Just my opinion.

Reactions: And1Hawk
I understand what all of you are saying. I don't necessarily disagree with most of what you are saying as well, I am observing the same things that you all are seeing.

However, I really like one aspect of Fran's coaching style. I think this also goes for KF as well...and I think it might extend through the athletic director and probably U of I's other sports.

And I think this is something that separates us (the Iowa Hawkeye Family) from many other schools. Specifically, I think this is what separates us from ISU - and most other hi-major sports schools.

1. I love the loyalty that Fran shows to his players. It is easy for us to watch the TV and begin to think of these kids the same way we think about professional athletes. I don't think they should be thought of that way. Honestly, there are many kids who DO want to be thought of that way, but I don't think they play for the Iowa Hawkeyes.

I know it irritated everyone that Fran stuck with Josh Ogelsby too long. That didn't irritate me at all. I love that Fran gave that kid (who we watched grow into a man in a Hawkeye uniform) every chance to succeed. Up until his last game, I held out hope that he would come in and bring us a big victory with a string of unexpected 3-balls. It didn't happen...but I LOVE that Fran gave it the chance to happen.

2. I love that both Fran and Kirk tend to recruit guys who's resume's begin with good character and work ethic. I know that isn't always true, but the fact is that most of these 18-20 year old freshmen and sophomores have demonstrated both the ability to make good decisions...and an overwhelming willingness to work hard for their big opportunity. At some level, they are doing those things for us fans.

Honestly, I am a Cyclone fan as well. But unlike most ISU fans, I believe Fred Hoiberg ruined Cyclone basketball, at least for me. For Fred, character and work ethic was way down on the bottom of his list of requirements. In fact, if you had enough talent, it was actually a benefit to Fred for that kid to have bad character and/or work ethic, as that is what made those guys available to him on the open market. I live near Ames, and I know the effect many of those guys have had on the West Ames community where they live. I am aware of how badly most of them were wanting to GET OUT OF IOWA as quickly as possible.

I like that Fran hasn't recruited those type of kids. I like what Fran has done with Dom Uhl. He is a kid from Europe, I assume has a mother and father...and siblings, and is working very hard to chase his dreams. As far as I have heard, he has been a good citizen in Iowa City (although I don't live there, so might be something that I am not aware of).

And when you intersect opportunity with work ethic and character, it is very frequent that good things happen...eventually. Again, I reference White, Marble, Uthoff, etc. Unlike the ISU fans that wanted to run Matt Thomas out of town during his difficult Freshmen and Sophomore years, I am happy to see Fran be patient with Dom. I am still hopeful that Dom will become what we all hoped he would be (and I'm certain he hopes it more than any of us.)

And my original point was that I think the 9/10 spot in Fran's rotation is the perfect spot for us to watch that all play out.

And my final point would be that this same trait in coach Fran will likely also work out very well for Ryan Kreiner. Honestly, he doesn't look ready to me right now. He is very nervous every time he touches the ball. However, I agree with all of the positive stuff that folks on this board are saying about him. And because Fran tends to give his players every opporunity to succeed, I think we will see RK doing great things later in his career.

Go Hawks!

I have no problem with Fran playing Oglesby. He was a shooting threat (even if he was inconsistent) and he came to iowa when we were terrible instead of going to a better conference rival.

I'm in agreement with getting Ryan some more minutes now, especially with Cook out. He'll have less opportunity with Cook back, but he'll be needed IMO as we run into some of the bigger bodies in league play. Cordell and Cook have yet to show they can rebound at the 4 or the 5 and Ryan seems to get his share. This year is NIT at best at this point in time. Get the young man some minutes and lets see what we have before Garza and Nunge show up.

Reactions: iamia and And1Hawk
I guess when I look at a guy, who's a junior being our #10, then he's just not getting it. He's probably not going to bust out at this point. Play the freshman in a lost season anyways, and get him the experience.
this is what I have been saying also. Give Kriener more minutes so he can get in the flow better. I think he will help greatly with the inside game that is our weakness on defense especially. Uhl has shown nothing that I see. That is too bad as he could help but just can't turn it loose. We need to get the young guys going as that is where the talent is. Also less Brady too.

Reactions: And1Hawk
Sorry, I forgot about Brady. I still really like what he brings to the table

Centraliahawk.......pls enlighten us as to what exactly does BE bring to the table? His stats show that he isn't a good shooter (20r 3 pt), he doesn't rebound and 0 fer for everything else, except he is out of position at critical times in games and his guy scores as a result.

Starting line up for the 1st B1G game will be

1) JBo
2) Jok
3) Moss
4) Pemsl
5) Cook

Next 5? Williams, Wagner, Baer, Uhl, Ellingson

Dailey & Kriener will get spot duty. I like Kriener a lot but I don't see how he gets significant minutes going forward unless we get more injuries.

I dont know if Cook and Pemsl can play allot together.

They dont compliment eachother offensively or defensively.

We don't need to be playing this season as if it is a lost season just yet. Can we at least try to put up a fight until around the last third of the Big Ten? And then, if we aren't going anywhere I will accept the idea of playing one guy over another to get him experience. (Other than blowouts.)

Not sure how you know that since they haven't really played together.

Because they both have similar strengths and weaknesses.

They both play best on the block and neither one defends or rebounds very well yet.

Generally, for another big to compliment a guy who works on the block you want a guy who is great at crashing the glass weakside or can keep the floor spaced and or work the high post.

After the first 9 games, I still see Jok and Cook as the only 2 clear starters and warranting as many minutes as they are capable of giving and are needed for on any given night.
Lots of up and down from the rest of the team.
Moss was hot last night, hope to see that continue. I'd give the majority of the minutes to him when PJ needs a rest, and play them together some. Dailey would get the rest of the minutes at 2/3 for now.
Bohannon is the better of the 1s for now with CW getting more minutes as warranted depending on the night.
Baer at 3/4 along with Wagner.
Pemsl at 4 for a good chunk of the game.
Like to see Kreiner get more time.
I just don't know what to think of Uhl.

Reactions: ZumaHawk
Sorry, I forgot about Brady. I still really like what he brings to the table

Centraliahawk.......pls enlighten us as to what exactly does BE bring to the table? His stats show that he isn't a good shooter (20r 3 pt), he doesn't rebound and 0 fer for everything else, except he is out of position at critical times in games and his guy scores as a result.

Perhaps do some research, the internet... it's all at your fingertips

10-19 .526 From 3 point range /
17-30 .567 from the field
Kid doesn't take bad shots

http://www.bigten.org/library/stats/mbb-iowa.html

Reactions: Ree4
After the first 9 games, I still see Jok and Cook as the only 2 clear starters and warranting as many minutes as they are capable of giving and are needed for on any given night.
Lots of up and down from the rest of the team.
Moss was hot last night, hope to see that continue. I'd give the majority of the minutes to him when PJ needs a rest, and play them together some. Dailey would get the rest of the minutes at 2/3 for now.
Bohannon is the better of the 1s for now with CW getting more minutes as warranted depending on the night.
Baer at 3/4 along with Wagner.
Pemsl at 4 for a good chunk of the game.
Like to see Kreiner get more time.
I just don't know what to think of Uhl.

Moss is already a starter so he wont be subing for Jok.

I'd also would like to see Ryan Kriener get some more minutes, but he's the type of player who needs to bide his time and get as much experience under his belt as he can. I see him as a taller version of a player like Baer. He's quick and can rebound. I think that by the time he is a junior or senior, he'll be a regular rotation player. Ryan just simply does not have the experience or the great, fluid moves around the basket that Pemsl and Cook have. Cordell was hurt most years he played in high school and still was 1st team all state three years in a row and his team won eight of nine games at the state tournament. (Since he graduated, his team hasn't won a game yet!) Cook and Pemsl played incredibly good competition in high school game-in and game-out. Ryan, frankly, did not. I like his quickness, his hustle and his attitude and I think that fans just have to have patience with him. With Iowa's bigs all having a history of injuries, he could be thrust into a much more prominent role suddenly at any time.

Reactions: ZumaHawk
Moss is already a starter so he wont be subing for Jok.
As I said, I think that PJ and Cook are the only clearly established starters. Moss has started one game, and played well offensively. But, I don't think he's solidified as a sure fire starter for the rest of the year after that alone.

As I said, I think that PJ and Cook are the only clearly established starters. Moss has started one game, and played well offensively. But, I don't think he's solidified as a sure fire starter for the rest of the year after that alone.
Moss has actually started the last 3 games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT