ADVERTISEMENT

Schwab heading to OU?

ibahwkfan

HR All-American
Gold Member
Dec 6, 2001
Heard from a few kid's on UNI's team that Coach Schwab is seriously considering taking the OU job. Anyone else hearing this? It would be a massive loss for the Panthers if he moves on.

Heard from a few kid's on UNI's team that Coach Schwab is seriously considering taking the OU job. Anyone else hearing this? It would be a massive loss for the Panthers if he moves on.
Maybe he was seriously thinking about APPLYING for that job?

I don’t think he’s even interviewed. Their search began and likely ends with Koll.

Reactions: MVPFAN and el dub
Guessing OU is opening up the coffers to land Koll. That can make any pit stop short. Just ask Carl.
That’s quite the change of scenery. I wonder if the Bay Area just wasn’t his thang? It’s pretty expensive as we all know.

That was a quick pit stop at Stanford if true.
Koll is used to being in the mix of the wrestling world so to speak. Stanford's location and conference are out of the mix. ASU has done a lot of traveling east for tournaments and duals to keep the exposure high there and it's easier to recruit there.

Reactions: el dub
Given how poorly OU wrestling has performed, I'm not sure that the OU job is a step up for Schwab, except for more money, until he leaves like the last two coaches. There could be something more seriously wrong with the OU program than what a coaching change can fix.

Reactions: el dub
Given how poorly OU wrestling has performed, I'm not sure that the OU job is a step up for Schwab, except for more money, until he leaves like the last two coaches. There could be something more seriously wrong with the OU program than what a coaching change can fix.
So, you’re saying he’s headed to Palo Alto?

Koll is used to being in the mix of the wrestling world so to speak. Stanford's location and conference are out of the mix. ASU has done a lot of traveling east for tournaments and duals to keep the exposure high there and it's easier to recruit there.

Recruiting isn’t the issue. They’ve got some studs coming in.

For him to be interviewing, 100% means he’s not getting the money he was promised/raised.

He’s either leveraging, or he’s out.

Sounds like Penn State wants someone from UNI and someone from Stanford so they spread rumors about those coaches leaving for OU. Yes, I believe Penn State would do that. Haha. You do too.

Last edited:
Recruiting isn’t the issue. They’ve got some studs coming in.

For him to be interviewing, 100% means he’s not getting the money he was promised/raised.

He’s either leveraging, or he’s out.
This is your opinion on Koll not Schwab?

There were some "fake news" posts circulating that Schwab had already been hired. I think he stays put in Cedar falls, but who knows.

Correct, if that wasn't clear.

No. His pay is fine. This is about scholarship/NIL/budget, etc.
I have no idea what the Koll beef is, however my pal is the OU gym coach. They pay well and it's cheap to live there....if'n you can stand Norman.

In gymnastics, Stanford has 15 guys on fulls. As a private, they qual em in on Academics and Need. Gymnastics gets 6.3 officially from the NCAA. Transpose this to wrestling and I'd see a huge advantage Stanford has with it's rep for academics to get a lot of kids there.

Reactions: vhsalum
What has Schwab accomplished at UNI to afford the attention he gets? Don't get me wrong. I loved him as a Hawk. I loved him as a recruiter on staff. I love how engaging his interviews are. After that I just don't see it. 13th has been his highest finish once. Maybe UNI isn't built for better than that and the powers that be that are much smarter than me are seeing that.

Other then message boards who knows how much attention he gets-- He definitely was offered the Illinios job, but I can see why programs would be interested--He done well despite being 2nd and 3rd fiddle to Iowa and ISU--- at UNI he simply doesnt have the resources-- asst coaches pay,facilities, club support, recruiting budget, private planes to select away meets and such.
You give him the resources a lot of other programs have he is prob a good risk--- Not sure if he is/was in play for OK or not, but he having some decent success with a program that has a FRACTION of resources. There is a big list beyond what i listed also-

What has Schwab accomplished at UNI to afford the attention he gets? Don't get me wrong. I loved him as a Hawk. I loved him as a recruiter on staff. I love how engaging his interviews are. After that I just don't see it. 13th has been his highest finish once. Maybe UNI isn't built for better than that and the powers that be that are much smarter than me are seeing that.

Does he really get attention? Has the rep as a good guy and coach but it isn’t like premium schools are banging down his door. ISU didn’t even look at him.

Reactions: herkcy
Does he really get attention? Has the rep as a good guy and coach but it isn’t like premium schools are banging down his door. ISU didn’t even look at him.
I was surprised when I heard Illinois offered, then surprised again when they choose Poeta. Now I'm surprised and don't believe it yet that when OU loses out on Koll Schwab is the next in line. Again absolute great guy, great Hawk, great assistant, but I think he needs to accomplish more at UNI before he should garner looks at the next tier.

I have no idea what the Koll beef is, however my pal is the OU gym coach. They pay well and it's cheap to live there....if'n you can stand Norman.

In gymnastics, Stanford has 15 guys on fulls. As a private, they qual em in on Academics and Need. Gymnastics gets 6.3 officially from the NCAA. Transpose this to wrestling and I'd see a huge advantage Stanford has with it's rep for academics to get a lot of kids there.

Exactly. And wrestling isn’t exactly a blue collar sport anymore. The blue chippers are typically parents with means (travel costs, prep schools, etc.) - so you need athletic dollars

But as far as I know, Koll raised the money for the scholarships himself, but Stanford admin weren’t putting it in the budget.

I would bet it’s a battle of pledged dollars versus money in hand. Koll wants to compete NOW. And he’s not wrong - he did his job.

Not saying you're completely wrong, but your POV might be just a tad bit slanted based on your hatred of anything concerning Osage.

Dresser also had a staff with bigger name recognition than Schwab. That might have played a roll.

Schwab would be an upgrade for the Gophers, tho.

I was surprised when I heard Illinois offered, then surprised again when they choose Poeta. Now I'm surprised and don't believe it yet that when OU loses out on Koll Schwab is the next in line. Again absolute great guy, great Hawk, great assistant, but I think he needs to accomplish more at UNI before he should garner looks at the next tier.
Not trying to be a defender but Schwab did withdrawal from consideration for the Illinois job. There is actually an interview with him that he admits we was offered and declined.

Last edited:
Not trying to be a defender but Schwab did withdrawal from consideration for the Illinois job. There is actually an interview with him that he admits we was offered and declined.
Schwab is probably the only person on earth happy with declining the Illinois offer. Word on the street...increased salary, better conference, bigger budget, a recognizable brand and now a 15 million dollar new facility paid in full by the university. All the while West Gym is being shut down, UNI budget/salaries are not increasing and the program is at a standstill (not climbing). But hey, at least he is happy in Cedar Falls.

Schwab is probably the only person on earth happy with declining the Illinois offer. Word on the street...increased salary, better conference, bigger budget, a recognizable brand and now a 15 million dollar new facility paid in full by the university. All the while West Gym is being shut down, UNI budget/salaries are not increasing and the program is at a standstill (not climbing). But hey, at least he is happy in Cedar Falls.
He did get his contract extended with a raise. Some things aren't about money.

Schwab has done a solid job at UNI. It's not the program it was in the 80s and 90s. In 13 years UNI has 8 top 20 finishes. While not great there are some programs in the region that have struggled to be consistent or produce better results with much higher budgets.

Reactions: natchrlman
Not saying you're completely wrong, but your POV might be just a tad bit slanted based on your hatred of anything concerning Osage.

Dresser also had a staff with bigger name recognition than Schwab. That might have played a roll.

Schwab would be an upgrade for the Gophers, tho.

You are wrong here. I am a Schwab fan.

Illinois did.

Illinois isn’t a premium school.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT