ADVERTISEMENT

Season Realistically Over

sarcastic willy wonka GIF

We all saw clips of the early practice scrimmage. Its almost impossible to see qbs that bad. Go back and watch. Its not about a system. There is no hope.

The O line had no hope in the red zone.

Reactions: tweeterhawk
The season isn't over. In fact, unlike 2002 Iowa can still make the playoffs. Outside of a close game with Ohio State they can't lose again so there's still plenty to play for and that scenario does seem unlikely but it is not impossible. They just need to get a lot better.

The thing is, I'm not sure if this was a coaching loss or a personnel loss (which is also a coaching loss but we'll get to that). There were a lot of questionable coaching decisions in that game including the going for two and deciding to not run the ball through the hole they were running the ball through at the end zone two times. They also didn't seem to run many passing plays for Cade and the few Cade did get he didn't play very well. So, either they just weren't calling the right pass plays at the right time or Cade can't do it. If Cade can't do it, he shouldn't be playing (coaching issue).

But people are forgetting one thing, Iowa State is not terrible this year. They have an excellent shot at winning the Big 12 title this year since there is no Texas or Oklahoma anymore. If that loss ends up being the only one, Iowa is in the playoffs and if they have an Ohio State win on that list, they probably get a decent seed too. But they have to fix the QB issue one way or another and it is difficult to see them doing this considering their troubles with it in the past.

The season isn't over. In fact, unlike 2002 Iowa can still make the playoffs. Outside of a close game with Ohio State they can't lose again so there's still plenty to play for and that scenario does seem unlikely but it is not impossible. They just need to get a lot better.

The thing is, I'm not sure if this was a coaching loss or a personnel loss (which is also a coaching loss but we'll get to that). There were a lot of questionable coaching decisions in that game including the going for two and deciding to not run the ball through the hole they were running the ball through at the end zone two times. They also didn't seem to run many passing plays for Cade and the few Cade did get he didn't play very well. So, either they just weren't calling the right pass plays at the right time or Cade can't do it. If Cade can't do it, he shouldn't be playing (coaching issue).

But people are forgetting one thing, Iowa State is not terrible this year. They have an excellent shot at winning the Big 12 title this year since there is no Texas or Oklahoma anymore. If that loss ends up being the only one, Iowa is in the playoffs and if they have an Ohio State win on that list, they probably get a decent seed too. But they have to fix the QB issue one way or another and it is difficult to see them doing this considering their troubles with it in the past.
Lolol.. I'd like to be optimistic this being only the 2nd game of the year, but when I got to an "OSU win on that list" I had to laugh. Really? At the Shoe? With what we saw yesterday?

For some clarity when we lost that 2002 game to ISU, (also a bunch of poor coaching in the 2nd half of that game), we still finished 11-1 and right up to the Orange bowl had we won that game we could have been in the discussion for National champs, so we WERE in it right to the last game.

Lolol.. I'd like to be optimistic this being only the 2nd game of the year, but when I got to an "OSU win on that list" I had to laugh. Really? At the Shoe? With what we saw yesterday?

For some clarity when we lost that 2002 game to ISU, (also a bunch of poor coaching in the 2nd half of that game), we still finished 11-1 and right up to the Orange bowl had we won that game we could have been in the discussion for National champs, so we WERE in it right to the last game.
Yeah, we’re getting lit up by tOSU. We have exactly 0 chance in that game.

I think we lose at least 3 more and very possibly 5 more. But there’s absolutely no question that we get absolutely housed in the Shoe. No use even pondering a win there. Ain’t happening.

Well, statistically we’ve got 10 more games. But anyone who might have been thinking playoffs probably got an expectation adjustment.
This program consistently gets about 7-8 wins every year. That might not be enough to get in the playoffs. Even with the expansion, I never in my wildest dreams thought this team was a contender.

They won't get in at 10-2. They will get rolled by OSU. We were #16 last year at 10-2. Last time I checked there is only 12 spots.

Here's the other issue even if they do get to 10-2........ where is the quality win that makes the committee even consider Iowa?

They won't get in at 10-2. They will get rolled by OSU. We were #16 last year at 10-2. Last time I checked there is only 12 spots.

Here's the other issue even if they do get to 10-2........ where is the quality win that makes the committee even consider Iowa?

Even Nessler and Danielson were talking about how critical it was that Iowa win this game.

Everyone needs to adjust their expectations. We are now playing for an irrelevant bowl game with several players sitting it out, in front of a small game crowd of wealthy fans that only want to travel south to party.

Don't necessarily agree with the thread title. But, I'm absolutely on board with the OP's sentiment that Sullivan needs to see the field in meaningful game action.
Of course it won't happen.

Where did I say that was going to happen? Iowa's defense is certainly good enough to beat Ohio State. They were the last time they played them too. The problem is on offense. Obviously the offense isn't close to being able to compete on that level but we'll see if they get better. I don't have a lot of faith that they will, but I want to give the new coaches a chance.

Where did I say that was going to happen? Iowa's defense is certainly good enough to beat Ohio State. They were the last time they played them too. The problem is on offense. Obviously the offense isn't close to being able to compete on that level but we'll see if they get better. I don't have a lot of faith that they will, but I want to give the new coaches a chance.
Your making a case for further optimism, and then added "an OSU WIN on that list", like there is any realistic hope that this team goes into the shoe and leaves with a win. I know, "thats why they play the game", but that ones going to be ugly barring some miracle.....

This has the feel of a final fade for Kirk. Last year was a miraculous season made possible by perhaps the best ST/Defense combo in Iowa history and a relatively weak schedule. The evidence is how badly we got our asses beat by good teams.

The offense has bottomed out and under Kirk it's unlikely to get better. We will not get/use the proper talent with the body of work recruits have to look at.

Nope. Fans who think a 12 game season is “over” after one loss.

These people lose in life.
Well we play OSU at the horseshoe, so that’s an automatic loss. We have two losses, even if we win out except for OSU, we might not be in the CFP. So the season effectively ended yesterday, sadly.

Reactions: Iron Doc
I think because of the amount of players we're losing next year, coupled with the difficult schedules, a lot of fans were banking on this year to be the year. Our schedule is easy, our defense is as experienced as it'll ever be, we have a new OC. It all compounded into this being a year for a big run. But losing in the fashion we did to those loser Clowns, this season is more or less over. Sure, there's a possibility that the only other loss we have is Ohio State. But this game exposed all the issues we still have, and they're much worse than we feared. So now we're much more likely to lose at least a few more games this year.

I think because of the amount of players we're losing next year, coupled with the difficult schedules, a lot of fans were banking on this year to be the year. Our schedule is easy, our defense is as experienced as it'll ever be, we have a new OC. It all compounded into this being a year for a big run. But losing in the fashion we did to those loser Clowns, this season is more or less over. Sure, there's a possibility that the only other loss we have is Ohio State. But this game exposed all the issues we still have, and they're much worse than we feared. So now we're much more likely to lose at least a few more games this year.
100%
We might go 8-4 this year. After this year if we make a bowl will be a good season.

Your making a case for further optimism, and then added "an OSU WIN on that list", like there is any realistic hope that this team goes into the shoe and leaves with a win. I know, "thats why they play the game", but that ones going to be ugly barring some miracle.....
Probably. But until it happens, it hasn't happened. But unless Cade leans to throw a pass they aren't going into that game with 1 loss anyway.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT