ADVERTISEMENT

Season Realistically Over

Your making a case for further optimism, and then added "an OSU WIN on that list", like there is any realistic hope that this team goes into the shoe and leaves with a win. I know, "thats why they play the game", but that ones going to be ugly barring some miracle.....
Channeling Jim Mora regarding the playoffs.

If not that, what?
It matters if we go 10-2 or 2-10.

It matters if we get Floyd back.

It matters if we get to Indy or not.

It matters if we beat OSU.

It matters if we beat Nebby.

It matters if we win a bowl game.

What really matters is if Kirk et al teach the players to try to do their best, no matter what has already happened.

If Cade continues to play in a tentative manner being afraid of additional injury; he needs to be replaced. The game has changed, KF cannot continue to play a QB that is a "statue" or pocket passing QB. QB's today at least have to be able to scramble, if not actually being a dual threat. It is just too easy for DC's to game against an immobile QB and one running back. This now even applies to the NFL. To make matters worse, Cade does not appear to even be an accurate passer. KF's dependence on the D winning close games is now over.

At this point it’s time to play Sullivan. These next two seasons, with Iowa’s tough schedule, they will have to put up points to even be at .500. It’s time to go with the future.
Sadly that's just not how Kirk thinks. He never thinks "If I give this more talented guy more experience over the senior, we're going to have a better season in the future." He didn't do that for Brad Banks, and he won't do it for Sullivan. That's why he never won anything besides that Orange Bowl.

• Sad
Reactions: Iron Doc
They won't get in at 10-2. They will get rolled by OSU. We were #16 last year at 10-2. Last time I checked there is only 12 spots.

Here's the other issue even if they do get to 10-2........ where is the quality win that makes the committee even consider Iowa?
Probably not even if chaos reigns this year. If they also lose to OSU there won't be a win over another ranked team I don't think (Washington maybe? Nebraska?). If they had a stronger schedule it might have been possible, but they won't deserve it, really.

The sky is falling, the sky is falling, all is lost 😂

I especially liked the posters who have stated we will be lucky to get 6 wins. It happens every year, lose an early game or even squeak one out against a crappy team and all the drama queens lose it.
Here’s the thing. The 12 team playoff changed everything. Let’s be honest, the Iowa and ISU (except for 2002) winner really didn’t matter for the longest time. At least this year it means everything. Next year, who cares. Iowa plays @ Wisconsin, @ USC, @ Nebraska, @ Iowa State, @ Rutgers, Oregon, Penn State. This current team might be lucky to go 7 and 5 with 2025s schedule and next years team reaching 6 and 6 might be an accomplishment. This was the year to do something and we blew it.

What really matters is if Kirk et al teach the players to try to do their best, no matter what has already happened.
Imagine at Ohio State, Ryan Day having that attitude in your last sentence. 😊

This is going to be a joke of a year. Ferentz is going to grind Cade into the ground and it'll be just like when Ferentz insisted on putting Beathard out there for every single snap even when he could barely hobble around. Ferentz makes all the wrong decisions. He gets snarky when something is brought up that he's sensitive about. Hired his son and tried to set it up for him to take the hc job when he retires, and wouldn't do the right thing to fire his son. The guy just needs to adapt and do what needs to be done to turn the program around, or leave.

If Cade continues to play in a tentative manner being afraid of additional injury; he needs to be replaced. The game has changed, KF cannot continue to play a QB that is a "statue" or pocket passing QB. QB's today at least have to be able to scramble, if not actually being a dual threat. It is just too easy for DC's to game against an immobile QB and one running back. This now even applies to the NFL. To make matters worse, Cade does not appear to even be an accurate passer. KF's dependence on the D winning close games is now over.
Imagine being able to run a zone read on the last series with the threat of a quarterback running for a first down.

Win the rest except Ohio State and there is a path.

You will what carnage every week in the top ten. Get the bulk of the top ten to have two losses and maybe Iowa sneaks in. That’s a big maybe.

This guy misses the Big Ten West. Lose to all the blue bloods in any crossover game. Maybe drop a game or two in the Big Ten West and sneak into the title game. Get pummeled by Michigan (or more likely with past years divisions this year Ohio State). Rinse and repeat.

This guy misses the Big Ten West. Lose to all the blue bloods in any crossover game. Maybe drop a game or two in the Big Ten West and sneak into the title game. Get pummeled by Michigan (or more likely with past years divisions this year Ohio State). Rinse and repeat.
Nope. Just an emotional adult. Not a child that caves when something goes wrong.

Here’s the thing. The 12 team playoff changed everything. Let’s be honest, the Iowa and ISU (except for 2002) winner really didn’t matter for the longest time. At least this year it means everything. Next year, who cares. Iowa plays @ Wisconsin, @ USC, @ Nebraska, @ Iowa State, @ Rutgers, Oregon, Penn State. This current team might be lucky to go 7 and 5 with 2025s schedule and next years team reaching 6 and 6 might be an accomplishment. This was the year to do something and we blew it.

There’s a lot there that I can agree with. Maybe/probably playoff for the Hawks after that loss. But a lot of games to play yet

The season isn't over. In fact, unlike 2002 Iowa can still make the playoffs. Outside of a close game with Ohio State they can't lose again so there's still plenty to play for and that scenario does seem unlikely but it is not impossible. They just need to get a lot better.

The thing is, I'm not sure if this was a coaching loss or a personnel loss (which is also a coaching loss but we'll get to that). There were a lot of questionable coaching decisions in that game including the going for two and deciding to not run the ball through the hole they were running the ball through at the end zone two times. They also didn't seem to run many passing plays for Cade and the few Cade did get he didn't play very well. So, either they just weren't calling the right pass plays at the right time or Cade can't do it. If Cade can't do it, he shouldn't be playing (coaching issue).

But people are forgetting one thing, Iowa State is not terrible this year. They have an excellent shot at winning the Big 12 title this year since there is no Texas or Oklahoma anymore. If that loss ends up being the only one, Iowa is in the playoffs and if they have an Ohio State win on that list, they probably get a decent seed too. But they have to fix the QB issue one way or another and it is difficult to see them doing this considering their troubles with it in the past.
I hadn’t thought about it, but you’re right. All we have to do is beat Ohio State!

They won't get in at 10-2. They will get rolled by OSU. We were #16 last year at 10-2. Last time I checked there is only 12 spots.

Here's the other issue even if they do get to 10-2........ where is the quality win that makes the committee even consider Iowa?
Yeah, I’m also confused why some people think 10-2 will get them in this year but not last year. Seems like an Olympic sized stretch.

At this point it’s time to play Sullivan.
Barring injury to Cade, chances of this happening...

st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Iron Doc and blhawk
Imagine being able to run a zone read on the last series with the threat of a quarterback running for a first down.
That's an excellent point. Someone might want to inform KF that you aren't required to run the same QB out there every series. I'm reminded of Jeff Brohm who carved up our defense repeatedly by using 2 and even sometimes 3 QB's situationally. Iowa would be well-served to incorporate Sullivan based on situations to give the defense a different look. That's a little to sexy for the good captain, however, I'm afraid.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Yes, it is.

The proof is that this vitriol only shows up after a loss.

Id better see the same vitriol after our next win, or it proves many of you are children with no control of your emotions.
Unfortunately thats not true at all, and you know it. We won 10 games again last year and there was plenty to bitch about the offense all season, and we saw it right here.

Unfortunately thats not true at all, and you know it. We won 10 games again last year and there was plenty to bitch about the offense all season, and we saw it right here.

Not that I recall. At least, no where near the number of bitches nor the vehemence.

Not that I recall. At least, no where near the number of bitches nor the vehemence.
Wrong. Again.

Either that or you didn’t visit the board last season. There was so much, there were posters complaining about the complainers.

At this point it’s time to play Sullivan. These next two seasons, with Iowa’s tough schedule, they will have to put up points to even be at .500. It’s time to go with the future.
Where ya goin if he comes and stinks it up? Back to Marco and the triple option Academy type offense? Do you think Lester is just another puppet in a long line of puppets?

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT