ADVERTISEMENT

Senior Nationals

Forgot about Fix, he seems big at 61kg. Can he still make the cut without a major drop? Who else are you thinking?
OLYMPIC TRIALS QUALIFYING CRITERIA57KG
Senior World ChampVito Arujau
2023 World Team memberZane Richards
2020 Olympic Team memberThomas Gilman
2019 World Team memberDaton Fix
Bill Farrel ChampionSpencer Lee
2023 U17 World champion 55 kgMarcus Blaze
Dec. 2023 Senior Nationals FinalistNico Megaludis (Other Finalist Spencer Lee Already Qualified)
Dec. 2023 Senior Nationals 3rd/4thLiam Cronin
Dec. 2023 Senior Nationals 3rd/4thDaniel DeShazer
Dec. 2023 Senior Nationals fifth placeLuke Lilledahl
2024 Pan American Championships championCan't imagine anyone not on this page goes to Pan Ams?
2024 Pan American Olympic QualifierNone will be added here. Only Zane can qualify 57kg at this time
2024 NCAA Div. I championMarch 2024
Last Chance Qualifier ChampionMarch 2024
Qualified at 61kg, Could Come Down
2019 World Team member 61kg
Tyler Graff
2018 World Finals Trials ChampionNahshon Garrett
2018 World Team Member 61kgJoe Colon

From Basch X

Dec. 2023 Senior Nationals FinalistNico Megaludis (Other Finalist Spencer Lee Already Qualified)
2024 Pan American Championships championCan't imagine anyone not on this page goes to Pan Ams?
2024 Pan American Olympic QualifierNone will be added here. Only Zane can qualify 57kg at this time
Tyler Graff

From Basch X
Thanks for this…didn’t realize it would go back so many years.

I think that drama is pretty one sided. Lee is involved just because he happened to be the reason Gilman ran away for IC.
Drama or no drama, it’s a really interesting matchup stylistically. There aren’t many at 57 kg that can handle Spencer’s man strength. Gilman stingy defense will be put to the test. I imagine his gameplan would be to keep it close and try to wear SL out and edge out a close match(s).

I wouldn't think we see Spencer ahead of Richards, Gilman, Vito or Fix in the seeds. He will probably be the 5. My guess would be Fix is the 4. If Richards qualifies the weight at Pan Ams he will be the #1

Don’t the two and three seeds go on same side of bracket?

1,4,5,8,9 are on 1 side and 2,3,6,7,10 are on the other.

1 would meet 8 or 9 in quarters and get the winner of 4 vs 5 in the other quarter.

2 would meet 7 or 10 in quarters and get the winner of 3 vs 6 in the other quarter.

Edited to add: this is assuming all higher seeds progress without being upset. To be clear, 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3 would be “chalk” semis.

Reactions: sdvike and el dub
I wouldn't think we see Spencer ahead of Richards, Gilman, Vito or Fix in the seeds. He will probably be the 5. My guess would be Fix is the 4. If Richards qualifies the weight at Pan Ams he will be the #1
Agreed, he'll be the 5 unless he can get an invite from USAW to the ranking series event in early January and knock off one (or both) of Richards/Gilman

Reactions: Inthecircle
Using last OTT as reference, Vito won't be "seeded" as he has pass to the semis. Dake had same situation and they placed him on side with 2&3 seeds. Assuming seeds are Richards, Gilman, Fix, Spencer, then-

Richards/Spencer top
Gilman/Fix/Vito bottom

Using last OTT as reference, Vito won't be "seeded" as he has pass to the semis. Dake had same situation and they placed him on side with 2&3 seeds. Assuming seeds are Richards, Gilman, Fix, Spencer, then-

Richards/Spencer top
Gilman/Fix/Vito bottom

Interesting, then it seems like Spencer's best bet would be to hold seed as is.

Richards/Spencer top
Gilman/Fix/Vito bottom

Thanks. If they do the same as Dake, winner of 1 vs. 4/5 goes to finals and winner of 2 vs. 3 would face Arujau. I like Spencer‘s chances better as #4.

Tyler Graff

From Basch X
Vito is the only match up on that list I don't like for Spencer. He's better in all positions than everyone else imo.

Reactions: js8793 and el dub

Richards/Spencer top
Gilman/Fix/Vito bottom

Vito on the bottom in the semis. With Fix and Gilman. Up top Richards the 1 with Spencer vs Nico the 4&5 . Couldn't be better for Spencer

So does the Pan Am winner qualify the weight for Parris, or does simply making the finals qualify the weight for both finalists?

Vito is the only match up on that list I don't like for Spencer. He's better in all positions than everyone else imo.
Agree, especially if Arujau is as hot as he was in the NCCA’s.
Vito was at his best, but that was at 133 and 61kg. The extra 8 or so lbs is a tremendous difference for Vito at this point. I dont think he can be as good as he was, although I think he still maybe be Spencer's toughest matchup.

Drama or no drama, it’s a really interesting matchup stylistically. There aren’t many at 57 kg that can handle Spencer’s man strength. Gilman stingy defense will be put to the test. I imagine his gameplan would be to keep it close and try to wear SL out and edge out a close match(s).
Agreed, Gilman utilize push outs and keep the score as low as possible. Wear Spencer down and win late.

Agreed, Gilman utilize push outs and keep the score as low as possible. Wear Spencer down and win late.

Thats bad juju against Spencer. One of Gilman's strengths is his ability to push guys around but Spencer is best with guys in ties and pushing into him. Where Spencer has had issues is guys darting in...the quicker guys. This is why I would expect RBY or Vito (at their best) to be a worse matchup for Spencer.than Gilman. With those guys, its going to be how much weight comes into play. I imagine NLWC will adjust and have Gilman watch his forward pressure and keep his arms posted, straight arm on Spencer and wear on the neck to try and take in the 2nd.

So does the Pan Am winner qualify the weight for Parris, or does simply making the finals qualify the weight for both finalists?

Great question. RBY will be there for Mexico I believe.

The 2 semifinal winners qualify their country for the Olympics. There will not be a finals match. They are seeding top 4.

Not sure if I'm overlooking someone, but RBY and Darian Cruz are most likely the biggest threats to keeping Zane from qualifying the weight.

The 2 semifinal winners qualify their country for the Olympics. There will not be a finals match. They are seeding top 4.

Not sure if I'm overlooking someone, but RBY and Darian Cruz are most likely the biggest threats to keeping Zane from qualifying the weight.
I missed something. Why won't there be a finals match?

I believe they’re are two Pan Am’s? The regular Pan AM tourney which isn’t an Olympic qualifier, I believe it is a ranking series event?
The 2nd is the Pan Am Olympic qualifying tournament?
If we don’t qualify the weight at this event, we have 1 last shot, kind of like a last chance Olympics qualifying event. Jordan Oliver lost at this event in 2021, thus USA didn’t have an 65kg. entrant at the last Olympics.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12tdsaw and jrod65
I believe they’re are two Pan Am’s? The regular Pan AM tourney which isn’t an Olympic qualifier, I believe it is a ranking series event?
The 2nd is the Pan Am Olympic qualifying tournament?

Yep. UWW has dates for "regular" Pan Ams as Feb 21-24. 10 weights, full rosters. Will be a finals and repechage. I believe that you are correct that it's a ranking event as well.

The Pan Ams "qualifier" is listed for Feb 28- Mar 01. Olympic weights only, not full rosters, countries only compete at weights not qualified(57&65 for USA). Only wrestled thru semis as top 2 secure quota, no repechage.

Yep. UWW has dates for "regular" Pan Ams as Feb 21-24. 10 weights, full rosters. Will be a finals and repechage. I believe that you are correct that it's a ranking event as well.

The Pan Ams "qualifier" is listed for Feb 28- Mar 01. Olympic weights only, not full rosters, countries only compete at weights not qualified(57&65 for USA). Only wrestled thru semis as top 2 secure quota, no repechage.
Do you have any opinions on whether or not USAW decides to challenge for the Pan Am spot? I would think at this point USAW knows we have zero margin for error here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT