ADVERTISEMENT

*******Session 2 Thread*******

That makes 8 automatic qualifiers for the Hawkeyes. Warner would become an automatic qualifier with a win on Sunday.

Reactions: Jrjt0518
That makes 8 automatic qualifiers for the Hawkeyes. Warner would become an automatic qualifier with a win on Sunday.
Warner is in a great position his backside of the bracket isn’t that great. He will be in the 3rd place match without any issue. He’s always wrestled better on the back side of a bracket then on the front side. That’s the truth.

Warner is in a great position his backside of the bracket isn’t that great. He will be in the 3rd place match without any issue. He’s always wrestled better on the back side of a bracket then on the front side. That’s the truth.
Midlands disagrees

Reactions: Gobblin
2021 Big Ten Championships
Points Per Individual
Gable Steveson (Minnesota)18.5
Spencer Lee (Iowa)18.5
Mason Parris (Michigan)18
Carter Starocci (Penn State)17
Jaydin Eierman (Iowa)17
Michael Kemmerer (Iowa)17
Ryan Deakin (Northwestern)17
Taylor Venz (Nebraska)17
Nick Lee (Penn State)16.5
Aaron Brooks (Penn State)16
Devin Schroder (Purdue)16
Ethan Smith (Ohio State)16
Sammy Sasso (Ohio State)16
Alex Marinelli (Iowa)15
Austin DeSanto (Iowa)15
Eric Schultz (Nebraska)15
Kaleb Young (Iowa)15
Myles Amine (Michigan)15
Ridge Lovett (Nebraska)15
Roman Bravo-Young (Penn State)15
Chase Saldate (Michigan State)12
Brady Berge (Penn State)11
Chris Cannon (Northwestern)11
Tony Cassioppi (Iowa)11
Jake Tucker (Michigan State)10.5
Rayvon Foley (Michigan State)10.5
Chad Red (Nebraska)10
Donnell Washington (Indiana)10
Gerrit Nijenhuis (Purdue)10
Jacob Rundell (Purdue)10
Jacob Warner (Iowa)10
John Poznanski (Rutgers)10
Lucas Byrd (Illinois)10
Malik Heinselman (Ohio State)10
Sebastian Rivera (Rutgers)10
Colin Valdiviez (Northwestern)9.5
Robbie Howard (Penn State)9.5
Cameron Amine (Michigan)9
Kendall Coleman (Purdue)9
Logan Massa (Michigan)9
Lucas Davison (Northwestern)9
Brayton Lee (Minnesota)8
Cameron Caffey (Michigan State)8
Christian Lance (Nebraska)8
Christopher Weiler (Wisconsin)8
Kaleb Romero (Ohio State)8
Kanen Storr (Michigan)8
Layne Malczewski (Michigan State)8
Michael Beard (Penn State)8
Michael Blockhus (Minnesota)8
Mikey Labriola (Nebraska)8
Nelson Brands (Iowa)8
Parker Filius (Purdue)8
Patrick McKee (Minnesota)8
Peyton Robb (Nebraska)8
Graham Rooks (Indiana)7.5
Kyle Burwick (Wisconsin)7.5
Michael DeAugustino (Northwestern)7.5
Mike VanBrill (Rutgers)7.5
Dylan Duncan (Illinois)6.5
Greg Kerkvliet (Penn State)6.5
Luke Luffman (Illinois)6.5
Drew Hughes (Michigan State)6
Jake Allar (Minnesota)6
Joe Lee (Penn State)6
Owen Webster (Minnesota)5.5
Trent Hillger (Wisconsin)5.5
David Ferrante (Northwestern)5
Jordan Hamdan (Michigan State)5
Boo Dryden (Minnesota)4.5
Dylan Ragusin (Michigan)4.5
Griffin Parriott (Purdue)4.5
Max Lyon (Purdue)4.5
Tate Orndorff (Ohio State)4.5
Thomas Penola (Purdue)4.5
Will Lewan (Michigan)4.5
Yahya Thomas (Northwestern)4.5
Billy Janzer (Rutgers)4
Caleb Licking (Nebraska)4
Drew Mattin (Michigan)4
Tucker Sjomeling (Nebraska)3
Beau Bartlett (Penn State)2.5
Garrett Jowles (Minnesota)2.5
Jack Medley (Michigan)2.5
Rudy Streck (Indiana)2.5
Jackson Turley (Rutgers)2
Johnny Mologousis (Illinois)2
Jaden Bullock (Michigan)1.5
Andrew Sparks (Minnesota)1
Cayden Rooks (Indiana)1
Dylan DMilio (Ohio State)1
Dylan Shawver (Rutgers)1
Elijah Cleary (Ohio State)1
Eric Barnett (Wisconsin)1
Gavin Hoffman (Ohio State)1
Jared Krattiger (Wisconsin)1
Jonathan Spadafora (Maryland)1
Kyle Luigs (Indiana)1
Peyton Omania (Michigan State)1
Christian Colucci (Rutgers)0.5
DJ Shannon (Illinois)0.5
Drew Scharenbrock (Wisconsin)0.5
Emil Soehnlen (Purdue)0.5
Jaron Smith (Maryland)0.5
Kyle Cochran (Maryland)0.5
Marcos Polanco (Minnesota)0.5
Andrew Salemme (Wisconsin)0

Iowa 126.5
PSU 111.5

Kerkvilet will probably get a MFF from Lance tomorrow morning.

Team Scores
Iowa​
126.5​
Penn State​
111.5​
Nebraska​
88.0​
Michigan​
76.0​
Purdue​
67.0​

Reactions: KFSuperStar
I still can't get over Cass. I actually thought he was in an advantageous position with a knee block for a second. Then, suddenly he was going towards his back again and I was having deja vu.

The other thing I can't get over is Labriola scrambling himself right into getting taken down.

How many points do you get for winning the third place and fifth place matches. And do you get points for the 7th place match?

Reactions: PSUNATTY2020
It’s actually 3 midlands he’s done poorly on the backside
He’s an aa. Has done his job as far as I’m concerned. Again keyboard warriors type. He’s doing his best. Yes we expected more but he’s doing his job!!! Calm down best is yet to come.

I still can't get over Cass. I actually thought he was in an advantageous position with a knee block for a second. Then, suddenly he was going towards his back again and I was having deja vu.

The other thing I can't get over is Labriola scrambling himself right into getting taken down.
Parris hits that on almost everyone, it oftentimes looks like he’s in a bad spot against some really good wrestlers and he somehow always finishes. Crazy strong, Tony has got to make avoiding move/position his first priority if he sees Parris.

Wow PSU gaining some major ground. What a session. PSU with a higher ma
How many points do you get for winning the third place and fifth place matches. And do you get points for the 7th place match?

Always the $1 million that we never truly seem to know.

I hope Murin (I'm sure he will) and Bartlett both get in to NCAA's. I want to see the best team win.
If Murin doesn't get in it would be nearly criminal and it would be equally as criminal for Bartlett to get in. I am not sure beating 3 Maryland 149lbers and scoring a takedown against Sasso is the best criteria out there among 149lbers looking for a wildcard.

Last edited:
Wow PSU gaining some major ground. What a session. PSU with a higher ma

Always the $1 million that we never truly seem to know.

nice round by the Nits.Cleaning up on the backside. And I think Kerk will get a forfeit tomorrow too. Looks to be somewhat interesting tomorrow.

Remaining points available:

8th - 0
7th - 1 + (potential bonus)
6th - 0
5th - 1 + (potential bonus)
4th - 3 + .5 + (potential bonus)
3rd - 4 + .5 + (potential bonus x2)
2nd - 0
1st - 4 + (potential bonus)

I think that’s right.

nice round by the Nits.Cleaning up on the backside. And I think Kerk will get a forfeit tomorrow too. Looks to be somewhat interesting tomorrow.
Well you had half your team already there. I don't think the picture is quite as rosy as you think it is.

Reactions: Chalkdaddy94
PSU is looking to set up 2 matches for Bartlett vs. Pittsburgh next week, a la Real Woods, to help with his at large selection.

• Haha
Reactions: MVPFAN
BRACKETS

Six Hawkeyes Advance to B1G Championship Finals

UNIVERSITY PARK, PA
-- The top-ranked University of Iowa wrestling team advanced six Hawkeyes to the finals and sits in first place at the 2021 Big Ten Championships following Saturday night semifinal action at the Bryce Jordan Center.

Defending champions Spencer Lee and Alex Marinelli are returning to the finals. Lee is defending the 125-pound title and Marinelli is aiming for his third straight conference title at 165.

Lee and Marinelli are joined in the finals by Austin DeSanto (133), Jaydin Eierman (141), Kaleb Young (157) and Michael Kemerer (174). Kemerer is a two-time runner up making his third finals appearance. DeSanto, Eierman and Young are all first-time Big Ten conference finalists.

Lee won by fall in 23 seconds, tying the school record for fastest pin at a Big Ten Championships. The record was matched earlier in the day by Tony Cassioppi, and first set in 1992 by Bart Chelesvig. Lee defends his 125-pound title against seventh-seeded Devin Schroder of Purdue. It is a rematch of the 2020 conference finals when Lee defeated Schroder by 16-2 major decision.

Marinelli is back in the finals following a 2-0 decision at 165. He will meet Ohio State’s third-seeded Ethan Smith. Marinelli won conference titles in 2019 and 2020. In the history of the program, there have been seven four-time champions and 18 three-time champions. Marinelli could become the 26th Hawkeye in school history to win three conference titles.

Kemerer advanced to the finals with a 4-2 decision. He meets Penn State’s third-seeded Carter Starocci in the 174-pound finals.

DeSanto and Eierman are both in the Big Ten finals for the first time in their careers. DeSanto advanced with a 5-4 win at 133. Eierman, who won three MAC titles for Missouri from 2017-19, won by 7-1 decision. DeSanto faces Penn State’s top-seeded Roman Bravo-Young, and Eierman gets Penn State’s Nick Lee, the No. 2 seed.

Young won 3-2 in the second tiebreak period to advance to the finals, where he meets Northwestern’s top-seeded Ryan Deakin.

Iowa dropped a pair of matches in the semifinals. Jacob Warner lost 3-1 in sudden victory and Tony Cassioppi lost by fall. Both wrestlers return to action Sunday in the consolation semifinals.

Max Murin and Nelson Brands competed on the backside of the bracket Saturday night. Brands picked up a pair of wins and has earned an automatic berth at 184 pounds to the 2021 NCAA Championships on March 18-20 in St. Louis. Murin, ranked No. 5 in the coaches poll, dropped his consolation match and is eligible for at-large consideration to the national championships at 149 pounds.

The Hawkeyes are in first place after Session II with 126.5 points. Penn State, Nebraska, Michigan and Purdue round out the top five.

QUOTING COACH TOM BRANDS

“Opening comment number one, there is a lot of wrestling left to do. Opening comment number two, we have got to get ready to wrestle tomorrow. Opening comment number three, we are going to have some tough matches. This is the qualifier and we are going to another tournament. We have to stay tough, have got to keep doing what we are doing and add to it a little bit.

“Nelson Brands just won two big matches on the backside of the bracket, that is huge. We got a couple guys who did not get what they wanted on that front side and they are going to be in the consolation bracket tomorrow and they have to come back strong. We have some guys in the finals and we are going to have to go out and be ready, ready. And I mean ready, ready.”

NOTABLES

• Spencer Lee’s 23-second fall ties for the fast fall by a Hawkeye at the Big Ten Championships. Bart Chelesvig did it in 1992, and Tony Cassioppi did it in Session I of the 2021 Big Ten Championships (today).
  • Lee’s fall was the 26th of his career, 21 have been in the first period. The 23-second fall was a career best.
  • Alex Marinelli is one win shy of his third straight Big Ten title. There have been 18 three-time conference champions in program history, the last was T.J. Williams from 1999-2001. (There have been seven four-time champions in school history.)
  • Kemerer is back in the conference finals for the third time (2017, 2020).
  • Nine Hawkeyes have earned automatic berths to the 2021 NCAA Championships.

UP NEXT

Session III of the Big Ten Championships begins Sunday at 11 a.m. (CT) and will be streamed on BTN Plus. The finals, third-place, and fifth-place matches begin at 3 p.m. The finals are televised live on BTN.

SEMIFINAL RESULTS

125 - #1 Spencer Lee (IA) pinned #5 Rayvon Foley (MSU), 0:23
133 - #2 Austin DeSanto (IA) dec. #3 Lucas Byrd (ILL), 5-4
141 - #1 Jaydin Eierman (IA) dec. #4 Chad Red (NEB), 7-1
157 - #2 Kaleb Young (IA) dec. #3 Brayton Lee (MINN), 3-2 TB2
165 - #1 Alex Marinelli (IA) dec. #4 Cameron Amine (MICH), 2-0
174 - #1 Michael Kemerer (IA) dec. #4 Logan Massa (MICH), 4-2
197 - #2 Myles Amine (MICH) dec. #3 Jacob Warner (IA), 3-1 SV1
285 - #2 Mason Parris (MICH) pinned #3 Tony Cassioppi (IA), 0:53

CONSOLATION RESULTS

149 - #8 Mike Van Brill (RU) dec. #2 Max Murin (IA), 7-2
184 - #9 Nelson Brands (IA) dec. #10 Rocky Jordan (OSU), 5-2
184 - #9 Nelson Brands dec. #4 Owen Webster (MINN), 3-2

FINALS MATCHUPS

125 - #1 Spencer Lee (IA) vs. #7 Devin Schroder (PU)
133 - #2 Austin DeSanto (IA) vs. #1 Roman Bravo-Young (PSU)
141 - #1 Jaydin Eierman (IA) vs. #2 Nick Lee (PSU)
157 - #2 Kaleb Young (IA) vs. #1 Ryan Deakin (NU)
165 - #1 Alex Marinelli (IA) vs. #3 Ethan Smith (OSU)
174 - #1 Michael Kemerer (IA) vs. #3 Carter Starocci (PSU)

CONSOLATION MATCHUPS

174 - #9 Nelson Brands (IA) vs. #2 Christopher Weiler (WIS)
197 - #3 Jacob Warner (IA) vs. #5 Lucas Davison (NU)
285 - #3 Tony Cassioppi (IA) vs. #8 Tate Orndorff (OSU)

TEAM STANDINGS

1. IOWA 126.5

2. Penn State 111.5
3. Nebraska 88
4. Michigan 76
5. Purdue 67
6. Northwestern 63.5
7. Ohio State 63
8. Minnesota 62.5
9. Michigan State 61
10. Rutgers 13
11. Illinois 25.5
12. Wisconsin 23.5
13. Indiana 22
14. Maryland 2

Reactions: AFHawk86
If Murin doesn't get in it would be nearly criminal and it would be equally as criminal for Bartlett to get in. I am not sure beating 3 Maryland 149lbers and scoring a takedown against Sasso is the best criteria out there among 149lbers looking for a wildcard.

Bartlett has literally no quality wins at 149. He honestly does not deserve a WC let alone one over Murin.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT