ADVERTISEMENT

Sheryl Swoopes

I hereby adopt and incorporate Greg Doyle's column. Could not sum up my feelings better: https://www.indystar.com/story/spor...nt-racist-but-theyre-predictable/72482546007/

Jealously does not equal racism.
I guarantee you if it was JuJu Watkins that was THE story of WBB right now, if it was JuJu Watkins who was packing 18,000+ fans into arenas for WBB games, if it was JuJu Watkins who was on the verge of breaking the all-time scoring record, Sheryl Swoopes and Dawn Staley would be CELEBRATING it. They would not be taking every opportunity to tear her down, to diminish her accomplishments, to delegitimize her records.

I guarantee you if it was JuJu Watkins that was THE story of WBB right now, if it was JuJu Watkins who was packing 18,000+ fans into arenas for WBB games, if it was JuJu Watkins who was on the verge of breaking the all-time scoring record, Sheryl Swoopes and Dawn Staley would be CELEBRATING it. They would not be taking every opportunity to tear her down, to diminish her accomplishments, to delegitimize her records.
I think we are gonna see in about 3 years. I think I saw an article at the beginning of the year that USC had reached out to Iowa for how Iowa/Clark were dealing with a star player and dealing with media. Dont be too shocked if JuJu sounds a lot more like clark than Reese when dealing with hype and haters

As the Watkins phenomenon grows, USC coach Lindsay Gottlieb has considered reaching out to Iowa coach Lisa Bluder to see how they manage Clark’s stardom.

"I think we’re headed for some unprecedented things," Gottlieb said. "She handles all of this with such grace. We try to do a good job of allowing her to be her, which is different and special, but also shielding her from some extra stuff. We’re constantly kind of updating that plan as we go."

I think we are gonna see in about 3 years. I think I saw an article at the beginning of the year that USC had reached out to Iowa for how Iowa/Clark were dealing with a star player and dealing with media. Dont be too shocked if JuJu sounds a lot more like clark than Reese when dealing with hype and haters
I don't think they dislike CC. I think they resent all of the media love, the national attention, the sellout crowds that she's attracting, and I think they resent it because they believe it's only happening because she's white.

You know who will be cheering JuJu on if/when she approaches the record? Caitlin Clark will.

Watkins can score a million points but she doesn't have the personality that Caitlin uses to grab the crowd. It's the difference between an athlete and a natural performer. UCLA'-USC games don't draw Iowa-size crowds despite several All-Americans on the court. There is not the entertainment value Iowa (Caitlin) generates.

Same can be said of Buechers. She is not in the same league character wise with Caitlin.

Watkins can score a million points but she doesn't have the personality that Caitlin uses to grab the crowd. It's the difference between an athlete and a natural performer. UCLA'-USC games don't draw Iowa-size crowds despite several All-Americans on the court. There is not the entertainment value Iowa (Caitlin) generates.

Same can be said of Buechers. She is not in the same league character wise with Caitlin.
What is wrong with Buechers? I haven't seen or heard anything bad...

Well the Iowa women didn’t either during Caitlyn’s first year. Iowa had a well supported WBB program but they didn’t start selling out immediately.

Remember, it’s LA, they are only about celebrity, sports is at best 2ndary. If she becomes a draw, they’ll show up @ last there.

And Bucklers has been hurt to much. She was pretty hyped up coming in. And she was having a great first season. She’s been hurt significantly and then minorly off and on since then.

CC is special without a doubt, but even because of her & on que: those after will become more of a draw!

That is if she truly changed the sport, like a Bird/Magic and then Michael…

Others in other sports….but those are the most immediate and corollary.

IMO

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion
People also hated on Pistol Pete because his dad was the coach but he was a great athelte scored at every level and was best passer i ever saw

Some people never like the coaches kid, no matter what….

And I’ve been involved with “coaches kids” with my own family. It can be frustrating, but it is what it is…some of those kids are head & shoulders above anyone on the field/court. Often actually, not always, not most, but often!

PS….I wouldn’t write Angel off with Mulkey & Staley. Those are leading women in their field and their respective minorities…

They’ve done plenty of good for women’s basketball, but they also have been crass, hypocritical, bullish and petty, with boorish behavior much of their Adult lives.

Angel is still my daughter’s age. All of my kids mostly six of them 11–30… They’re all pretty brilliant but all pretty out of touch at times…She’ll have a chance to pick a road

She’s not there yet ….

Last edited:
What is wrong with Buechers? I haven't seen or heard anything bad...

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with her. Can't you see the context of my presentation. I'm talking about a personality that enthuses/ignites a crowd. Thousands of players, Including Buechers and Watkins run up and down the court every night making baskets. So what!

A 30' step back 3 pointer, followed 20 seconds later by a half court length pass to a player in full stride are absolute show-stopping treats fans are guaranteed to witness since she is a talented performer led by a coach who not only appreciates her player's skills but knows the value she brings to the arenas and how important it is for entertainment and a business sense as well.

There are rare cases of athletes/performers that are unique in the way they connect. A women's basketball team selling out every road game?????? Have you seen a men's team sell out one road game at midseason?

This is new territory. The Iowa women's games are the most watched women's games ever on Fox Sports. It's because of Clark. The demand she creates due to her persona.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with her. Can't you see the context of my presentation. I'm talking about a personality that enthuses/ignites a crowd. Thousands of players, Including Buechers and Watkins run up and down the court every night making baskets. So what!

A 30' step back 3 pointer, followed 20 seconds later by a half court length pass to a player in full stride are absolute show-stopping treats fans are guaranteed to witness since she is a talented performer led by a coach who not only appreciates her player's skills but knows the value she brings to the arenas and how important it is for entertainment and a business sense as well.

There are rare cases of athletes/performers that are unique in the way they connect. A women's basketball team selling out every road game?????? Have you seen a men's team sell out one road game at midseason?

This is new territory. The Iowa women's games are the most watched women's games ever on Fox Sports. It's because of Clark. The demand she creates due to her persona.

Very well written and I agree, with a caveat…

If…”IF” Clark is transcendent, and she changed the “sport” they may still come. You are however, correct very few “teams” sell out on the road. They have to be really good, they have to have special players and special talent. The kind of team that is loved or hated one or the other…Duke, NC Kansas…

There have been some dynamic players people went to see, but I’m not sure we’ve had that kind of player in college sports for sometime?

She is truly special and she may just make it special for those down the line…

Last edited:
it's too bad because they are just blunting what CC is doing for the game

I honestly think most people, regardless of gender or race can see through that bullshit. Sure some people grab it hook line and sinker, but those people typically have their own agendas and they want things like that to be true!

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion
Well the Iowa women didn’t either during Caitlyn’s first year. Iowa had a well supported WBB program but they didn’t start selling out immediately.

Remember, it’s LA, they are only about celebrity, sports is at best 2ndary. If she becomes a draw, they’ll show up @ last there.

And Bucklers has been hurt to much. She was pretty hyped up coming in. And she was having a great first season. She’s been hurt significantly and then minorly off and on since then.

CC is special without a doubt, but even because of her & on que: those after will become more of a draw!

That is if she truly changed the sport, like a Bird/Magic and then Michael…

Others in other sports….but those are the most immediate and corollary.

IMO

You're not reading the tea leaves. I'm talking beyond talent. Caitlin has incredible talent. But that's not why she's popular. Yeah, the logo 3's are a good part of it since she's in her own orbit. But the cameras see her autographing shoes and T-shirts. Taking the time to do it. And smiling while she does it. Smiles and articulates when interviewed.

She draws a crowd. Everywhere. That means crowds want to see her. Everywhere. So, the next place she goes there will be a crowd. It's the nature of people.

Watch basketball games and see how little facial expression and emotion are displayed in the course of a game. Fans want to see emotion. Caitlin emotes too much at times but that's part of her persona. That plays. Smile, laugh, grimmace, swear. Let it out. We do it. JuJu plays like a robot. Paige shows little emotion. It's a Caitlin trademark.

Within the next 2, 3, maybe 4 games she will hold the career NCAA career scoring record and will be among the top level of career assists, 3 pointers and free throws. and is already second in career triple doubles. If that isn't something special,.............

Gilbert Arenas we also guilty of misinformation and supporting Swoopes. He tried to make a point of all players need to play the same number of games for any record to count. How boorish. I am a grouchy old man that remembers Roger Maris and the "asterisk". But Swoopes is ridiculous for being so uninformed.
Correct. Times change. Rules change. Teams play more games. More teams. Freshmen are eligible. No dunking. Dunking. The 3 point shot. Targeting. 5 yard bump rule. Mound raised and lowered. DH. Segregation. etc etc etc.

That whole segment was the epitome of ignorance. embarrassing. and it would never be a topic if Clark was the same color as the panel.

That's fair. My bad, I misinterpreted your last sentence.

Clark definitely has more flair than Buechers. They can both be gracious, classy players.

That's pretty bad. Worse since if she truly cared about the record she would have checked out the number of games each player played to get their career totals and noticed that CC has actually played far less games than all the players at the top of the list.
She did not check out anything. Looks to me like she was too busy eating to do any research.

• Haha
Reactions: LarryMullenJr.
I hereby adopt and incorporate Greg Doyle's column. Could not sum up my feelings better: https://www.indystar.com/story/spor...nt-racist-but-theyre-predictable/72482546007/

Jealously does not equal racism.
“It’s not about racism. Not necessarily”
Typical comment when you WANT to tell people what you really think but you cant because you are worried about backlash.

Yes she is jealous. And she is racist. It’s possible to be both and she has achieved it.

Absolutely 100% correct

PS….I wouldn’t write Angel off with Mulkey & Staley. Those are leading women in their field and their respective minorities…

They’ve done plenty of good for women’s basketball, but they also have been crass, hypocritical, bullish and petty, with boorish behavior much of their Adult lives.

Angel is still my daughter’s age. All of my kids mostly six of them 11–30… They’re all pretty brilliant but all pretty out of touch at times…She’ll have a chance to pick a road

She’s not there yet ….
I have been amazed at how Angel had a completely different image at Marryland. I wonder how much of this is who she is, how much is who she's surrounded by, and how much is a performance in attempt to build a brand?

Reactions: cmhawks99
“It’s not about racism. Not necessarily”
Typical comment when you WANT to tell people what you really think but you cant because you are worried about backlash.

Yes she is jealous. And she is racist. It’s possible to be both and she has achieved it.
We can't know for sure why other people think and say what they do. But I think it is fair to hold them to the same standard they hold everyone else to. So someone who always assumes racism for their critics can be assumed to be a racist when they show hate. I don't know that much about Swoops from that point of view.

I have been amazed at how Angel had a completely different image at Marryland. I wonder how much of this is who she is, how much is who she's surrounded by, and how much is a performance in attempt to build a brand?
I always assumed her behavior at the end of the championship game was rooted in seething jealousy of Caitlin and all the attention she gets. It’s wild to me that a player would be laser focused on trying to show up one opposing player rather than wildly celebrating and drinking in the moment of winning a title game. She (and her title defending coach) take all things Caitlin very personally it would seem.

Swoopes' comments about CC's age, about her number of years in college, about the number of shots she takes per game, have all clearly been proven wrong.

Why has she not come out and apologized for getting all of that wrong? If she truly wants to see the WBB game continue to rise and gain followers, you'd think she would just issue as simple as "apologies for being misinformed about CC and what she's accomplished".

The fact that she hasn't just fuels the notion that it's 100% personal.

three-mixed-female-hands-pointing-something-out.jpg

She didn't lose any games to COVID - three years, three NCAA tourneys

With @UpstreamHawkeye 's assistance, I count 9 games lost in Caitlin's first 2 years due to covid. We're talking roughly 243 points that could be added to her current total (27 ppg x 9 games). If not for Caitlin's covid shortened first 2 seasons, she'd already have the all time scoring record.

(1) 6 games lost in 2020-2021

Caitlin lost at least 6 games (and around 162 points) due to covid during the 2020-2021 season.

How I got to 162 points:

Iowa ended up playing just 23 regular season games in 2020-2021. This season we are playing 30 regular season games. So that's 6 or 7 regular season games that were lost due to covid (some reg seasons are just 29 games, not 30).

Therefore, Caitlin's lost points due to covid is 27 ppg x 6 games lost = 162.

Some other notes:

* The Iowa women's first game of the 2020-2021 season was not until Nov 25, 2020.

* Iowa only played 4 nonconference games (they were only allowed up to 5 nonconference games).

* The game at Rutgers was postponed and never made up.

* In the end, Iowa (20-10) only played 30 games that season.

4 Nonconf
(UNI, Drake, Iowa St, W. Ill)
19 Reg Season (of the orig 20) Conf Games
4 B1G Tournament Games
3 NCAA Tournament games

Here was their 2020-2021 schedule & results (note the postponements & rescheduling due to covid):

Here's CC's numbers her first 3 years:

Year: Points Scored
2021: 799 (30 games).................26.6 ppg
2022: 863 (32 games)..................27.0 ppg
2023: 1,055 (38 games)...............27.8 ppg

Here's a couple good stories regarding that season:

* Iowa WBB announced its 2020-21 WBB schedule just 2 days before the season was officially slated to begin. Iowa was scheduled to play 20 conference games and 4 non-conference games in 2020-21.

* Each school was supposed to play a 20-game Big Ten schedule (adding 2 conference games from the previous two years), and could play up to 5 non-conference games.

(2) 3 games lost in 2021-2022

Here was their 2021-2022 schedule. What a mess! 3 games got canceled but there were several games that got postponed and eventually played later.

2021-2022 Games Canceled due to Covid:
Nov 21, 2021 vs Drake
Nov 25, 2021 vs Seton Hall (Cancun Challenge)
Nov 26, 2021 vs USC (Cancun Challenge)

They couldn't follow a better example then Bluder and Clark how to handle all of the attention.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT