ADVERTISEMENT

Shocker: Barta has 'Full Faith' in Brian Ferentz

He is so robotic. "Full Faith' is exactly how I mocked him.
Barta also seriously dropped the ball on NIL. I would love to see him literally get run out of town with pitchforks and torches. Dude is an incompetent d-bag.

Kirk and Gary just before the interview

hqdefault.jpg

Look, I don't like Gary Barta either.

But he and the U are "throw-backs" to an earlier time in college sports when you didn't just dump a coach when you hit a rough patch.

Not defending it.
This isn't "a rough patch". The incompetence has been going on his entire tenure as OC and QB coach. Brian was not qualified to be either and it SHOWS. If it is Captain Kirk pulling the strings, Brian is an idiot for staying in this position ruining his coaching resume. He looks like a boob.

Folks, I am not a big fan of Gary Barta either, and certainly am not of Brian Ferentz, but what really was Barta going to say in this interview? You think he was coming out in mid-season and show grave concern regarding BF? Yea, that wouldn't have added more controversy.

I've been saying all along despite you guys not believing it: Barta's role is to simply remain 100% supportive of KF, BF, and the entire program. Barta is NOT going to tell KF what to do about his coaching staff and Barta will NOT be doing some "critical football thinking evaluation" of BF after the season-- never has and never will. You may not hearing this but it's fact.

But he and the U are "throw-backs" to an earlier time in college sports when you didn't just dump a coach when you hit a rough patch.
What era was that? In the first six years of Iowa football, Iowa had five head coaches (1892-97). Over the next 12 years Iowa had four head coaches. Then Jess Hawley went 24-18 from 1910-1915 before Howard Jones took over and went 42-17 from 1916 to 1923. Jones was Iowa's first great coach.

In 1921 Iowa went 7–0 and won the Big Ten championship, it's first since 1900. The team was retroactively selected as the 1921 national champion by the Billingsley Report and as a co-national champion by Parke H. Davis. The Hawkeyes were invited to play the California Golden Bears in the 1922 Rose Bowl, but the Big Ten forced Iowa to turn down the invitation. Aubrey Devine, Duke Slater and Gordon Locke were named All-Americans.

In 1922 Iowa won its second consecutive Big Ten title (7-0) and was retroactively selected as the 1922 national champion by the Billingsley Report.​

Burt Ingwersen succeeded Jones from 1924-31, going 33-27. Then hard times hit the Hawkeyes. From 1932 to 1952 Iowa toiled under six head coaches, with Eddie Anderson's 1939 Ironmen, led by Nile Kinnick, the lone bright spot.

Leonard Raffensperger went 5-10 in his two seasons as the head coach (1950-51) before he was fired and Forest Evashevski was hired. Under Evy, Iowa quickly regained national stature for the first time since 1939. Evy went 52-27 until he resigned after the 1960 season. Jerry Burns (1961-65) went 16-27 before he was fired. Ray Nagel followed (1966-70) and went 16-32 before he was shown the door. Frank Lauterbur was hired from Toledo and led the Hawkeyes to an astounding 4-28 mark in his three years (1971-73), including an 0-11 season in 1973, after which he was fired.

Next, from an Ohio high school came Bob Commings, a two-way lineman on Evy's 1957 Rose Bowl champions. Commings was passionate but outmatched and was fired after compiling an 18-37 mark between 1974 and 1978. Then Iowa found a fella down at North Texas and brought him to Iowa City. His name: John Hayden Fry.

Fry brought Iowa back to national prominence for the first time in 20 years. In only his third year in Iowa City he led the Hawkeyes to a share of the Big Ten title in 1981 and their first Rose Bowl appearance since 1959. In fact, after Iowa hadn't been to a bowl game for over two decades, the Hawkeyes played two bowls in one year--the 1982 Rose Bowl on Jan. 1 and the 1982 Peach Bowl (a win over Tennessee) on Dec. 31.

Until forced to retire in 1998 due to his battle with cancer, Fry had restored Iowa to national prominence and had them ranked #1 in the nation for most of the 1985 season, only six years after arriving in Iowa City. And then, of course, KF took over and has held on ever since, primarily because Gary Barta is the AD.

So history would seem to say that firing football coaches for underperformance is not a new phenomenon--in Iowa City or anyplace else--except for the Barta era.

If we had a University President that had some balls, those two words from Barta about "full faith" should get him fired. Either he thinks Iowa fans are that stupid to believe he has full faith or he is that stupid . The offense has hit rock bottom. The fire alarm is going off but no BFD so let it burn down. He should have been chewing the butts of the Fabulous Ferentz's back in January after Iowa wasn't ranked in the top 100 nationally for any major category. If Iowa goes 4 - 8, hopefully this is the beginning of the end of Ferentz. Regardless of his contract, he might not wanna hang around until 2030. His coaching life at Iowa can become difficult and embarrassing if there's 20,000 empty seats at Kinnick next year. That is!, if Iowa fans stop being suckers for a man whose parade has passed him by.

He is so robotic. "Full Faith' is exactly how I mocked him.
It’s a trap! What else would he say when Bf is still in position. He’s secretly promoting BF so he can interview elsewhere and take a job after the season ends!

Reactions: mvk
If we had a University President that had some balls, those two words from Barta about "full faith" should get him fired. Either he thinks Iowa fans are that stupid to believe he has full faith or he is that stupid . The offense has hit rock bottom. The fire alarm is going off but no BFD so let it burn down. He should have been chewing the butts of the Fabulous Ferentz's back in January after Iowa wasn't ranked in the top 100 nationally for any major category. If Iowa goes 4 - 8, hopefully this is the beginning of the end of Ferentz. Regardless of his contract, he might not wanna hang around until 2030. His coaching life at Iowa can become difficult and embarrassing if there's 20,000 empty seats at Kinnick next year. That is!, if Iowa fans stop being suckers for a man whose parade has passed him by.

Kirk has won 70% of his games the last 5 years, and currently has a top 20 recruiting class for next year. But sure, the game has passed him by.

Kirk has won 70% of his games the last 5 years, and currently has a top 20 recruiting class for next year. But sure, the game has passed him by.
Yeah I'm not sure why people think Iowa is suddenly Nevada. Yes, the offense stinks. It stunk last year also. And there is serious question as to whether the guy running the offense has the ability or know how to change that.

But it just defies reality to say that KF doesn't know what he's doing. The point is to win games, and he's done that. Now, going forward if the offense doesn't improve to just be average, the program's ability to win games will be seriously compromised. We've seen that over the past 13 games where Iowa is 7-6 since the win over Penn State last year. And scored 7 points or less in 5 of those games (won one of them). The offense has completely fallen off the apple cart since the PSU game last year.

I would think that some changes will occur in the off-season. Short of BF taking a position coach in the NFL or going somewhere if Bill O'Brien gets a head job (O'Brien is currently the OC at Alabama), I'm not sure the changes will make most Iowa fans happy. But if that last 1.5 seasons don't cause KF to seriously change the approach to offense, the end of his tenure is not likely to be very good.

What else is he going to say is an excuse, especially after he fired the head coach of volleyball last year mid season. He did that and should be held to that standard to fire the football OC. It’s a bad look when you don’t hold everyone to the same standard and the media should hold his feet to the fire about the double standard. In fact, BF is performing worse than the ex volleyball coach did and should be shown the door due to this year’s results to date and the previous years of terrible productivity.

I about threw up in my mouth when reading those comments. End of the day KF needs to get rid of Brian. It's not like Iowa is going to do a 180 with the offense these last 7 games and we will end up in the bottom 10 again nationally most likely. If he brings him back next year it's a big middle finger to the Iowa fan base. Yes technically Barta is Brian's boss, but Kirk at the end of the day makes the call if he stays or goes and will let Barta know of his decision and he will handle BF the way KF tells him to. But if BF comes back it is a very telling sign that will cause more and more Iowa fans to lose faith in him. Because if BF returns it clearly shows that KF is putting his family ahead of the program and that's absolutely unacceptable.

I about threw up in my mouth when reading those comments. End of the day KF needs to get rid of Brian. It's not like Iowa is going to do a 180 with the offense these last 7 games and we will end up in the bottom 10 again nationally most likely. If he brings him back next year it's a big middle finger to the Iowa fan base. Yes technically Barta is Brian's boss, but Kirk at the end of the day makes the call if he stays or goes and will let Barta know of his decision and he will handle BF the way KF tells him to. But if BF comes back it is a very telling sign that will cause more and more Iowa fans to lose faith in him. Because if BF returns it clearly shows that KF is putting his family ahead of the program and that's absolutely unacceptable.
You don’t get it.

The only way Brian isn’t back next year as OC is if Brian decides to leave and take a job somewhere else. As long as KF is HC, he will be Iowa’s OC. Is it a mess as it stands? Of course it is.

i only just read the linked article and was startled by this quote:
Kirk Ferentz said he would be open to changing his staff in the middle of a season if he “thought it was going to serve an end.”

while it clearly indicates kirk doesn't have a finger on the trigger, just his saying that indicates that he is thinking it, which says he is feeling pressure. and i find myself agreeing with kf and even the dunce barta on overreacting in the middle of a season. outside of swapping qbs when qb1 is a dead duck or letting cooper loose at qb, i don't see a mid-season bf related problem. all the offensive screwups are offseason type -- particularly recruiting related busts and not doing anything to fill gaps judiciously with transfers.

i only just read the linked article and was startled by this quote:
Kirk Ferentz said he would be open to changing his staff in the middle of a season if he “thought it was going to serve an end.”

while it clearly indicates kirk doesn't have a finger on the trigger, just his saying that indicates that he is thinking it, which says he is feeling pressure. and i find myself agreeing with kf and even the dunce barta on overreacting in the middle of a season. outside of swapping qbs when qb1 is a dead duck or letting cooper loose at qb, i don't see a mid-season bf related problem. all the offensive screwups are offseason type -- particularly recruiting related busts and not doing anything to fill gaps judiciously with transfers.
Do this:

Go back and watch the press conference as it happened. Listen carefully to his quote. Then come back here and tell us if your analysis is different than it is now. I’m guessing it will be.

You don’t get it.

The only way Brian isn’t back next year as OC is if Brian decides to leave and take a job somewhere else. As long as KF is HC, he will be Iowa’s OC. Is it a mess as it stands? Of course it is.
What don't I get? That KF being stubborn and keeping BF isn't a giant FU to Iowa fans? That he would prioritize family over the football team by keeping him? I don't doubt if KF actually comes to his senses and decides to part ways he'd try and use his NFL contacts and get Fredo a job with a NFL team and paint the narrative he's leaving to "take on a new challenge" with a NFL role instead. But if he can't and keeps him I have a feeling both KF and Barta are probably under estimating the blow back it will have on program if he brings sonny boy back. Not only in recruiting but with fans with less butts in the seats and general sense of apathy amongst the fan base going into next year even worse than post 14' season when we had our first bout of Ferentz fatigue.

Reactions: Thunderlips71
What don't I get? That KF being stubborn and keeping BF isn't a giant FU to Iowa fans? That he would prioritize family over the football team by keeping him? I don't doubt if KF actually comes to his senses and decides to part ways he'd try and use his NFL contacts and get Fredo a job with a NFL team and paint the narrative he's leaving to "take on a new challenge" with a NFL role instead. But if he can't and keeps him I have a feeling both KF and Barta are probably under estimating the blow back it will have on program if he brings sonny boy back. Not only in recruiting but with fans with less butts in the seats and general sense of apathy amongst the fan base going into next year even worse than post 14' season when we had our first bout of Ferentz fatigue.
Bottom line: KF doesn’t care one bit at this stage of his career what we think. He knows he’s built much “good will equity” with probably the majority of fans. He WILL NOT demote his son.

Could KF and BF both finally realize it would be best if BF coached somewhere else? I’m sure but doesn’t mean it will happen.

And finally, answer me this: Who else hires BF before his name gets cleared from the player’s lawsuit with BF being the primary defendant?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT