ADVERTISEMENT

Should Clark's record have an *?

439.gif

I get a kick out of the Caitlin haters going WHAT ABOUT PEARL MOORE.. like they cared about it before. Nevermind Caitlin would average about 75 points a game in D2.

CC really does bring out the stupid in people
Prob won't hear from any of the "What about Lynette Woodard" people after this weekend.

Reactions: Tom Paris
Too many differences in play (sex of athletes, 3 point scoring, number of games etc) to truly compare the 2 players. But Clark scored the most points at the DI basketball level, and I don't think she should be diminished in any shape or form.

Her true staying power will come if the WNBA has a surge in popularity when she starts playing next season. She could conceivably be the Larry Bird of the WNBA (Not sure who would be the Magic Johnson equivalent). The NBA didn't become the monster it is today until Bird/Magic started the excitement.
I’ve been saying the same thing. Right now she is magic and bird. Assuming her star continues to shine in the WNBA, she will need a mega star rival.

I’ve been saying the same thing. Right now she is magic and bird. Assuming her star continues to shine in the WNBA, she will need a mega star rival.
Let's check back in a year and see. Then they can put a bronze statue outside Carver, assuming it isn't being done already.

No. The times and rules people live in and under is not their fault. It’s also stupid to combine men and women record books though. Pistol Pete would have had double the points if he played against women.

Reactions: Kelsers and GOHOX69
From a social media perspective, it's Angel. From a real player perspective, it could be Juju Watkins. But Angel could very well stay for the COVID year as her draft stock is not looking so great and she is cleaning up at LSUI

From a the standpoint of having a similar game, I’m going with ionescu.

Definitely Sabrina. She's the biggest name in women's hoops not named Clark. I have a hard time seeing Reese being too successful in the WNBA. First, everyone has size and athleticism so she will need to develop some skills. Her shot is terrible and very inconsistent... no threat beyond about 8-ft. She won't be able to just power shots up over smaller defenders like she often does in college. If I'm her... I'm coming back.

Hell no. Rules change. And if Clark took 40 shots a game like Pete did, she’d probably be around 5,000 points by now. Works both ways.
Please don’t insult my intelligence by telling me Pete and Caitlan’s “records” are comparable in any way other than on paper. A very different game has evolved in the past 50 years, the 3 point shot being a major difference. I also believe thT #22 (and all women) have improved the quality of their game with a smaller ball.
Now, please don’t think I am down-playing any accomplishments and records by women in basketball, I am not. But, the game they play and the game the men play are two different games, at their levels of competition and defy “comparison” in this manner.

• Haha
Reactions: Bierhalter
Please don’t insult my intelligence by telling me Pete and Caitlan’s “records” are comparable in any way other than on paper. A very different game has evolved in the past 50 years, the 3 point shot being a major difference. I also believe thT #22 (and all women) have improved the quality of their game with a smaller ball.
Now, please don’t think I am down-playing any accomplishments and records by women in basketball, I am not. But, the game they play and the game the men play are two different games, at their levels of competition and defy “comparison” in this manner.
The smaller ball is a legitimate point. Hard to quantify what difference it would make, just like it is impossible to know how Pete would have performed in a desegregated SEC.

Reactions: joelbc1
Agreed. But as prolific scoring as he was in college playing against all white boys while his dad let him jack up 40+ shots a game?
But not without reason....Maravich was a unique and special talent...a basketball savant. Pete and Larry Bird might be the two best white guys to ever lace’m up. Bird was surrounded with talent as a professional....Pete, not so much.

In ten years, the people who care about it most will be the little girls inspired now who will be in college then attempting to break it.
Is that what people should inspire to be? Why not academics? Basketball, the be all, end all?

• Haha
Reactions: Bierhalter
But not without reason....Maravich was a unique and special talent...a basketball savant. Pete and Larry Bird might be the two best white guys to ever lace’m up. Bird was surrounded with talent as a professional....Pete, not so much.
And I am not saying Pete wasn’t amazing. I only tend to return fire when people drone on about no three point line and playing only 3 seasons, as there are major advantages he had which Clark does not.

I get a kick out of the Caitlin haters going WHAT ABOUT PEARL MOORE.. like they cared about it before. Nevermind Caitlin would average about 75 points a game in D2.

CC really does bring out the stupid in people
I keep waiting for someone who brings up Sam "Rim-Raker" McGee who was the 6 time scoring champion of the YMCA junior-high/senior high basketball league or some crap like that. It's the NCAA record. Were there other leagues? Of course. But given the different circumstances it is hard to compare them to what is going on now. Just be respective that those people were the best in those leagues, probably would have been successful in the NCAA too, but it isn't an NCAA record that Clark is breaking (or not breaking) there. We don't compare stats from the NFL and the UFL (or whatever it is going to be next year) either.

In ten years, the people who care about it most will be the little girls inspired now who will be in college then attempting to break it.
I wonder if the little girl traveling basketball leagues will now be full of girls forcing ugly 3 point shots constantly?

Steph Curry changed the game, I think Clark will definitely change the way girls approach the girls game also. Shooting bombs isn’t just for guys anymore.

I wonder if the little girl traveling basketball leagues will now be full of girls forcing ugly 3 point shots constantly?

Steph Curry changed the game, I think Clark will definitely change the way girls approach the girls game also. Shooting bombs isn’t just for guys anymore.
Oh for sure, if they are not already. But, I think Steph already poisoned that well, just like Jordan poisoned the well for millions of mildly athletic boys jumping without first knowing what they were going to do with the ball. Doesn’t work as well when you don’t have a 48 inch vert.

I'm a big pistol pete fan but 38 shots per game is crazy. In the last 50 years has any player gotten anywhere near that #? His shot attmpts is really astounding when you think about it.
Pistol petes records are manufactured. He holds the NCAA record for shot attempts per season: the top 3 spots. 1168, 1022, and 976 attempts. The closest person to him in NCAA history is Bill Mikvy from Temple with 964 shots in one season. 200 shots less than one of Pete's. That is amazing.
There are only 4 players since 2000 that are even in the top 50 shot attempts in a season. Jimmer Freddete comes in at #27 with 763. Steph curry comes in at #97 with 687.
Only 11 of the top 100 shot attempts per season have occurred since 2000.

I really don't care about the 3 point line and 3 years. Pete played a segregated schedule and shot almost 2x as much as steph curry's last season. Steph took 1866 shots in his three year career, Pistol Pete took 3,166. Think about that for a second. Steph Curry could have played 5.1 seasons to shoot as much as pete. Caitlyn Clark would have to play over 5 seasons to shoot as many shots as pete.

I’m a no. Both were great in different ways. Pete took more shots and shot more FTs than Caitlin did, 3-point line or no. Pete also played in a still partly segregated SEC.

We are so, so good at tearing things apart. Let them both be great and this is really nothing more than who scored the most points in NCAA history. If this was “just” a 4 yr/3-point line thing, the record wouldn’t have stood for 54 years.
This. Both were/are amazing and GOAT for College MB/WB respectively. No need to rip Pete for playing in a "whiter league" or being a ball hog because he was the best player (by far) on the court. He was a wizard. Go watch some video highlights. They both loved to throw up some long bombs.

Prob won't hear from any of the "What about Lynette Woodard" people after this weekend.
That is just more NCAA stupidity. Woodard played at KANSAS…it was just before NCAA oversaw women’s hoops. It’s baffling to me that the NCAA didn’t just pick up that history….but whatever.

I don’t mind the history lessons. A lot of people watching today didn’t know anything about Lynette Woodard before this chase and only those who regularly follow women’s hoops would know Kelsey Plum. I’ve seen a lot of “wow” reactions to Pistol Pete’s numbers, so introducing him to a new generation isn’t a bad thing.

I don’t mind the debates, either. Clark isn’t the first great to come through. Cheryl Miller, Sherryl Swoopes, Diana Taurasi, Sue Bird, Maya Moore and many others have been great. Debating greatness won’t come down to just points or just offense in everyone’s mind. I don’t mind debates and opinions and it doesn’t have to mean someone’s tearing Caitlin down if they still think someone else is the best…as long as they’re not making up fake things to bolster the argument.

Is the reason behind all this ..... the "misgender" stuff? "Gender shaming", boys will be girls... all that jazz?

I mean, seriously, why no male record and female record? two separate records? when did we combine this stuff? I want to know the passing and receiving yardage of some of these ladies right now!!

Reactions: stickman80
It's not but the balance is horribly tilted.
Is it? By high school, most people realistically know where they stand with athletics, and focus there. It all seemed pretty balanced to me as my son went through high school, and many athletes were also excellent students.

I am also in the camp of no asterisk and no debate needed. Most team sports leagues have gone to more games (MLB went from 154 to 162 games, NFL from 14 to 17 games, etc). Colleges play more basketball and football games than they used. Then add in the Covid year so many players are taking, many records would need to be asterisked. Heck even our very own Nick Jackson, with a 5th straight season of over 100 tackles (plus his freshman season of 4 games) could break the all-time career NCAA tackles record, but obviously the record holder did it in 4 years.

Agreed. But as prolific scoring as he was in college playing against all white boys while his dad let him jack up 40+ shots a game?
It’s been said he also waited to shoot a layup for others to foul him so he could complete the 3 point play. Was he cherry picking?

CC also got to play 4 seasons, rather than The Pistol's 3.

The comparisons are meaningless. The best part is her success last night has overshadowed LaBron's 40,000 points, which makes me happy as well.

Having said all this, I was lucky enough to see Pete play in person at the Stinkin' Gators gym back in the day, and he put on a show that night that was hard to believe at the time. I know CSB.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT