ADVERTISEMENT

Should the government give away Ozempic?

Should the government give away Ozempic?

• Total voters
A prominently displayed boxed warning, the so-called “black box,” is added to the labeling of drugs or drug products by the Food and Drug Administration when serious adverse reactions or special problems occur, particularly those that may lead to death or serious injury.
Warfarin, Lasix, Epogen, Toradol? Sounds like a comprehension with poorly educated patient problem. If you are not smart enough to follow instructions, well?????

Reactions: Joes Place
Warfarin, Lasix, Epogen, Toradol? Sounds like a comprehension with poorly educated patient problem. If you are not smart enough to follow instructions, well?????
The warning has NOTHING to do with dosing errors per: insert.

The product itself carries inherent risks which can be life threatening.

The warning has NOTHING to do with dosing errors per: insert.

The product itself carries inherent risks which can be life threatening.
Where you trying to use AI to right your reply? :)insert)? Or just copy and pasted wrong.

Most medications carry risks, many life threatening. It's about weighting risk vs reward about living or dying.

Does Tylenol or Advil have a black box warning? Tylenol can cause liver damage, Advil can cause gastric ulcers. Both can lead to bleeding, cancer or organ failure.

To say "just avoid all black box medications" is pretty cowardly. That's why you trust a medical professional to help make those decisions. That's if you actually listen to them, though.

If we had most favored nations status on drug pricing through Medicare negotiation, we could pay $80 a month for the drug.

Reactions: 3boysmom
Phen phen was safe too. Supposedly
Or like big tobacco trying to convince people smoking can be healthy

lucky_20679_custom-e354d116cbef33565a11a4747ef3cc2ccdbe769e.jpg

Knowing rural Iowa, many Trump voters could benefit from access to ozempic. That being said, retweeting RFK’s ideas on agriculture only serves to show how divorced from reality that person is.

No, absolutely not. Ozempic, or any weight loss drug, is not a magic pill that make fat people skinny. It's an "assist" for people that decide to exercise and eat right. If it's free it will just be wasted.

Reactions: HawkeyeShawn
This is exactly the point.

The drug manufacturer was only focused on "weight loss" when developing this drug. In actual use, clinicians are learning it demonstrates significant benefits beyond "just losing weight".

I have a neighbor who is on it (she is not at all overweight) but it is keeping her cholesterol levels way lower than anything else would (has a genetic predisposition) and I think she'd mentioned some other condition it improves. Her physician prescribed not for weight loss at all, but for those other conditions.
It was developed as a type 2 diabetes drug. It was only after the trials I believe that they realized that it had pretty significant weight loss benefits. I've researched Ozempic/Wegovy and Mounjaro/Zepbound pretty extensively and there are a ton of benefits outside of the primary use as a drug for type 2 diabetes and weight loss. People are reporting that they are having less cravings for nicotine or alcohol, better mental health, cardiac benefits, better cognitive function, and lower inflammation. If studies can back up what users are reporting it would be a no brainer for Medicare and others to cover it. But, as is becoming increasingly common in the US, people would much rather punish others for not meeting whatever perfect standards they thing they should meet rather than meet them where they are and help them get to a better place.
If anyone would like more info on the Semaglutide and Tirzepitide benefits this is a pretty good article. https://www.forbes.com/sites/robert...ditions-heres-what-scientists-are-looking-at/

Robert F. Kennedy Jr.: "Today, over 100 members of Congress support a bill to fund Ozempic with Medicare at $1,500 a month. Most of these members have taken money from the manufacturer of that product, a European company called Novo Nordisk. As everyone knows, once a drug is approved for Medicare, it goes to Medicaid.

And there is a push to recommend Ozempic for Americans as young as six over a condition, obesity, that is completely preventable and barely even existed 100 years ago. Since 74% of Americans are obese, the cost of all of them, if they take their Ozempic prescriptions, will be $3 trillion a year. This is a drug that has made Novo Nordisk the biggest company in Europe.

It's a Danish company, but the Danish government does not recommend it. It recommends a change in diet to treat obesity and exercise. Virtually Novo Nordisk's entire value is based upon its projections of what Ozempic is going to sell to Americans. For half the price of Ozempic, we could purchase regeneratively raised organic agriculture, organic food for every American three meals a day and gym membership for every obese American. Why are members of Congress doing the bidding of this Danish company instead of standing up for American farmers and children? Because Novo Nordisk is one of the largest funders of medical research, the media and politicians and the medical schools all go along with them."
I think that the government should give me free Ozempic to counter all of my weight gain from my free EBT Twinkies and My Dew! It's only fair.

Reactions: MichaelKeller99
Type 2 diabetic here

Had a below knee amputation last year due to chronic bone infection that was complicated by diabetes.

I wanted to save my other leg so as soon as I got my prosthetic I vowed to cleanup my diet and try to get cardio.
5'11" 237lbs.
Dropped 20 lbs dieting.
Doc suggested ozempic.
Took it and dropped another 15 lbs then plateaued.
Got a cross trainer machine for home and have dropped another 35lbs to get to 167.
Took 11 months.
Phasing off ozempic the last month.
Weight stable.
Saw doc today and he says all my numbers are very good now.
My A1C is 5.4..was 12 2 yrs ago

Off all diabetes meds now.

Novodisks patent on ozempic expires in 2026.
Generics make it cheaper.
My Medicare advantage plan had co-pay of 47/month for script til I hit the donut hole in June.
My co-pay jumped to 248/month.
Glad I am weaning off.
Determined to stay around 170.

Wish I had been able to use this drug 15 yrs ago...i would have 2 legs now.
And yes when it gets cheap, covering it will save systems billions. My surgeries exceeded 350k.

some people seem to think this is a simple "just do X" fix

and that completely ignores the realities and reasons (including, but not limited to, political) for why those kinds of overly simple fixes aren't actually all that simple
I'm not saying they're simple. Not remotely. But they aren't simple bc our government agencies have allowed this to worsen for decades, largely bc they're captured by the industries they should be regulating. So instead of doing what's hard (and right) and fixing the root cause, we'll give people another shot or pill and pretend like that's a fix.

Type 2 diabetic here

Had a below knee amputation last year due to chronic bone infection that was complicated by diabetes.

I wanted to save my other leg so as soon as I got my prosthetic I vowed to cleanup my diet and try to get cardio.
5'11" 237lbs.
Dropped 20 lbs dieting.
Doc suggested ozempic.
Took it and dropped another 15 lbs then plateaued.
Got a cross trainer machine for home and have dropped another 35lbs to get to 167.
Took 11 months.
Phasing off ozempic the last month.
Weight stable.
Saw doc today and he says all my numbers are very good now.
My A1C is 5.4..was 12 2 yrs ago

Off all diabetes meds now.

Novodisks patent on ozempic expires in 2026.
Generics make it cheaper.
My Medicare advantage plan had co-pay of 47/month for script til I hit the donut hole in June.
My co-pay jumped to 248/month.
Glad I am weaning off.
Determined to stay around 170.

Wish I had been able to use this drug 15 yrs ago...i would have 2 legs now.
And yes when it gets cheap, covering it will save systems billions. My surgeries exceeded 350k.
Good luck jt. Good on you for doing the hard work and making the lifestyle changes as well.

Where you trying to use AI to right your reply? :)insert)? Or just copy and pasted wrong.

Most medications carry risks, many life threatening. It's about weighting risk vs reward about living or dying.

Does Tylenol or Advil have a black box warning? Tylenol can cause liver damage, Advil can cause gastric ulcers. Both can lead to bleeding, cancer or organ failure.

To say "just avoid all black box medications" is pretty cowardly. That's why you trust a medical professional to help make those decisions. That's if you actually listen to them, though.
You don’t know what a package insert is?

Are you Joe’s re’tahdud protégé?

Yes, but the MAGAs are gonna throw a shit-fit if we "give it away for free"
(which we don't: it becomes covered under Medicare, which you pay for)

I know of one horror story with the drug but that's it. I really only support the use of it if someone is morbidly obese and it's used as more of a jumpstart to a new lifestyle not to sustain one.
Ozemlic is a lifetime drug, not a jump start one. The fact that they're trying to push this on kids as young as 6 for obesity is astounding. The tax payer needs to stop paying 10 billion a year to big soda as a single example. Think of all the downstream costs associated with that stupidity.

And a black box warning has nothing to do with ‘small risk’ information.

Yes; it absolutely does. Anything that shows up as a risk is on the label.
Tylenol has very low risks and a very good safety profile; those risks are still on the labeling.

You are well out of your league on this topic.

Weird..

In 2023, the American Academy of Pediatrics released new guidelines for treating childhood obesity, recommending for the first time weight loss drugs and, in some cases, surgery for children ages 12 and up. For kids under 12, the guidelines endorsed working closely with pediatricians and other health care providers to focus on lifestyle changes.

Dr. Sarah Armstrong, a professor of pediatrics at Duke University and a co-author of the American Academy of Pediatrics guidelines, said that medication will probably be necessary for children with severe obesity; that is, a BMI of at least 35.

“It is pretty clear that without effective treatment, this does tend to get worse, not better, over time,” Armstrong said. “If a child has severe obesity and maybe has developed some early life comorbidities, it’s probably the right thing to do.”

What's your medical degree background, Cletus?

$35 Trillion.
Someone didn't read that medications like this actually LOWER overall costs for healthcare.

If you gave a shit about the debt, you'd fight to reverse the tax cuts (mainly for the wealthiest Americans) that have helped make it worse by dropping revenues 2% lower than the long-term averages.

With the exception of drugs for rare genetic disorders that cause obesity, there are no pharmaceutical options for obesity in children under 12.
Yes, that is their justification for giving the drugs to children as young as 6 to see what happens... hint: 6 year olds took it.
Who is "trying to push it" on kids?

They ran a trial for kids that have no other options available.
So they gave 6 year olds ozempic..
In 2023, the American Academy of Pediatrics released new guidelines for treating childhood obesity, recommending for the first time weight loss drugs and, in some cases, surgery for children ages 12 and up. For kids under 12, the guidelines endorsed working closely with pediatricians and other health care providers to focus on lifestyle changes.

Dr. Sarah Armstrong, a professor of pediatrics at Duke University and a co-author of the American Academy of Pediatrics guidelines, said that medication will probably be necessary for children with severe obesity; that is, a BMI of at least 35.

“It is pretty clear that without effective treatment, this does tend to get worse, not better, over time,” Armstrong said. “If a child has severe obesity and maybe has developed some early life comorbidities, it’s probably the right thing to do.”

What's your medical degree background, Cletus?
This is justification for why they gave 6 year olds ozempic.

Thank you for confirming my statement that they're giving this drug to 6 year olds.

Yes, that is their justification for giving the drugs to children as young as 6 to see what happens

Because they TREAT 6 yr olds who have obesity problems.
And they KNOW what happens later in life to kids who do not have any treatments available for them.

Perhaps you could email those pediatricians and ASK THEM about their decision processes here.

Yes; it absolutely does. Anything that shows up as a risk is on the label.
Tylenol has very low risks and a very good safety profile; those risks are still on the labeling.

You are well out of your league on this topic.
Anyone trying to equate ‘slight inflammation at the injection site’ type warning to a black box warning is nothing but a Pharma shill.

Oh, and Tylenol has ‘very low risks and a very good safety profile’? LMFAO!

Acetaminophen overdose is the leading cause for calls to Poison Control Centers (>100,000/year) and accounts for more than 56,000 emergency room visits, 2,600 hospitalizations, and an estimated 458 deaths due to acute liver failure each year. Data from the U.S. Acute Liver Failure Study Group registry of more than 700 patients with acute liver failure across the United States implicates acetaminophen poisoning in nearly 50% of all acute liver failure in this country.

Only, that's not reality.

But you'll continue to parrot it ad nauseum.
It’s ad ‘nauseam’, genius.

Not ad nauseum.
Who is "trying to push it" on kids?

They ran a trial for kids that have no other options available.
In January, the American Academy of Pediatrics issued new and controversial guidelines recommending weight loss drugs to kids as young as 12 and weight loss surgery for those just one year older.

Whichever federal agency is paying you to spread misinformation on behalf of Big Pharma is getting ripped off. No wonder this country is $35 trillion in debt. 🤡

Anyone trying to equate ‘slight inflammation at the injection site’ type warning to a black box warning is nothing but a Pharma shill.

Oh, and Tylenol has ‘very low risks and a very good safety profile’? LMFAO!

Acetaminophen overdose is the leading cause for calls to Poison Control Centers (>100,000/year) and accounts for more than 56,000 emergency room visits, 2,600 hospitalizations, and an estimated 458 deaths due to acute liver failure each year. Data from the U.S. Acute Liver Failure Study Group registry of more than 700 patients with acute liver failure across the United States implicates acetaminophen poisoning in nearly 50% of all acute liver failure in this country.

It’s ad ‘nauseam’, genius.

Not ad nauseum.

In January, the American Academy of Pediatrics issued new and controversial guidelines recommending weight loss drugs to kids as young as 12 and weight loss surgery for those just one year older.

Whichever federal agency is paying you to spread misinformation on behalf of Big Pharma is getting ripped off. No wonder this country is $35 trillion in debt. 🤡
Yes, Pfoes Pflace is a known big pharma shill. Human garbage pushing lies for one of the most harmful and corrupt industries in the world.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT