ADVERTISEMENT

SIGNING BONUSES: Anthony Nelson $770,000; Hooker $730,000; TJ Hock $12 Million; Fant $7.1 Million

May 10 UPDATE: TJ gets $12.4M SIGNING BONUS, 4 YEAR DEAL WORTH $19.8M

Detroit Lions sign top pick T.J. Hockenson to big rookie contract
Dave Birkett,
Detroit Free Press
Published 4:41 p.m. ET May 9, 2019

In the hours after the Detroit Lions made him the No. 8 overall pick of the 2019 NFL draft, T.J. Hockenson kept remarking about how "cool" it was "to play football for a living."

"I would play for free," Hockenson said on draft night. "This is awesome."

As of Thursday, Hockenson will officially get paid to play the game he loves.

Hockenson was one of three Lions to sign their rookie contracts Thursday, signing a four-year slotted deal worth $19.8 million that includes a $12.4 million signing bonus.

Hockenson is expected to play a major role for the Lions this fall, likely starting at tight end in a redesigned offense that will feature plenty of two tight end sets.

He led Iowa with 760 yards receiving on 49 catches last year, when he won the Mackey Award as college football's top tight end, and was regarded as one of the most complete tight end to enter the draft in the past decade.

For that reason, the Lions made Hockenson the rare high draft pick at the position. In the past 40 years, three other tight ends have gone in the top eight of the draft.

"Really checked every box that we had in terms of the evaluation process from on field, to third down, to red area, to blocking, to special teams, to culture, to intelligence, to work ethic," Quinn said. "You name it, he checked basically every box throughout the whole process."

LINK: https://www.freep.com/story/sports/...roit-lions-t-j-hockenson-contract/1155932001/

UPDATE:

ORIGINAL POST

Last year's #8 pick was Linebacker Roquan Smith, who was selected by the Chicago Bears.

Smith signed a $18.4 million contract that included $11.5 million guaranteed.

Like all rookie deals, the four-year contract includes a team option for a fifth season.
That's a case where sometimes maybe if you stay in college an extra year move up the 2nd or 1st round possibly there's a lot difference in the dollars between a fourth-round bonus and a first-round bonus that's for sure. Especially and hookers case when it was really the first year playing that position I think he could have built up some gravitas and may be moved up the draft board. But then you always take the risk of an injury in the consideration but still 10 million dollar signing bonus difference quite a bit

That's a case where sometimes maybe if you stay in college an extra year move up the 2nd or 1st round possibly there's a lot difference in the dollars between a fourth-round bonus and a first-round bonus that's for sure. Especially and hookers case when it was really the first year playing that position I think he could have built up some gravitas and may be moved up the draft board. But then you always take the risk of an injury in the consideration but still 10 million dollar signing bonus difference quite a bit
If you were Hooker or Nelson, what would you have done? Personally, I don't know what I would have done!

I wonder if KF & Brian told them both that they reached their college football ceiling? If so, then it would be time to go pro.

This is why Nick Saban was trying to tell his guys to wait. You leave a lot of money on the table if you leave early and end up a 4-7th pick instead of possibly improving your stock and being a 1-3. It’s all about guaranteed money in the NFL.

I also saw a crazy stat that something like 33% of the juniors who declared for the draft didn’t get drafted. Ouch.

If you were Hooker or Nelson, what would you have done? Personally, I don't know what I would have done!

I wonder if KF & Brian told them both that they reached their college football ceiling? If so, then it would be time to go pro.
Stayed another year and switched positions to Tight End.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Heard on the radio that something like 30% of early entries to the draft don't get picked. Who are these guys and what advise are they getting? I understand that school isn't for everyone, but what are these guys going to do? I'm sure most get some camp invite but that doesn't mean anything.

This is why Nick Saban was trying to tell his guys to wait. You leave a lot of money on the table if you leave early and end up a 4-7th pick instead of possibly improving your stock and being a 1-3. It’s all about guaranteed money in the NFL.

I also saw a crazy stat that something like 33% of the juniors who declared for the draft didn’t get drafted. Ouch.

That is the kind of guy that Saban is, looking out for his guys trying to maximize their income. He is also quick to let players know they are too injured to continue football when they don't make the depth chart and that players should focus on their academics if they aren't on the depth chart. A big hearted guy.

Heard on the radio that something like 30% of early entries to the draft don't get picked. Who are these guys and what advise are they getting? I understand that school isn't for everyone, but what are these guys going to do? I'm sure most get some camp invite but that doesn't mean anything.
Wow, that's a huge number. Can they go back to college if not drafted?

Did Fant officially sign his contract with that $7 million dollar signing bonus? I would hope that he would do like TJ, and get it signed before the rookie mini camp; last thing you want is to get injured before signing your guaranteed deal.

How fun of a check would that be to deposit?

Remember, just a couple of years ago Desmond King stayed for his Sr. year and was probably drafted later than he would've been had he entered the draft after his jr. year. So, nothing is certain. I don't think Hooker would've improved his draft stock had he stayed another year. It's hard to improve upon being the Big Ten's defensive back of the year. I suspect he was drafted as late as he was based on the scout's perception of his athletic ability, and that isn't going to change dramatically by staying another year in college...

Reactions: chill_hawk
King will be getting paid in his next contract that’s for sure, assuming he stays healthy. Looks like 2021 he will be a free agent so he’s got a couple seasons yet. Chargers got a steal if there ever was one!

Remember, just a couple of years ago Desmond King stayed for his Sr. year and was probably drafted later than he would've been had he entered the draft after his jr. year. So, nothing is certain. I don't think Hooker would've improved his draft stock had he stayed another year. It's hard to improve upon being the Big Ten's defensive back of the year. I suspect he was drafted as late as he was based on the scout's perception of his athletic ability, and that isn't going to change dramatically by staying another year in college...

What were the knocks on his athletic ability?

He's obviously an excellent athlete. I just don't think he's an elite level athlete for a d-back that typically gets drafted in the first two rounds. Just my opinion...

Can you be more specific? I thought his measurables were fairly comparable. Scouts have some hip turn, flexibility, etc they mention at times, was it the non measurable items?

Can you be more specific? I thought his measurables were fairly comparable. Scouts have some hip turn, flexibility, etc they mention at times, was it the non measurable items?
He was Big Ten Defensive Back POY so he can't accomplished much more on the collegiate level to impress the scouts. The logical reason for him going in the 4th round is the scouts think he's not an elite athlete. Take a look at this evaluation: www.nfl.com/prospects/amani-hooker?id=3219484f-4f28-9885-74ca-b4eda13809f8

He was Big Ten Defensive Back POY so he can't accomplished much more on the collegiate level to impress the scouts. The logical reason for him going in the 4th round is the scouts think he's not an elite athlete. Take a look at this evaluation: www.nfl.com/prospects/amani-hooker?id=3219484f-4f28-9885-74ca-b4eda13809f8

Perfect, thank you that was what I was looking for. Hos measurables at the combine were solid and in line with other top prospects, there are football aspects athletic wise that they are questioning. I appreciate your patience in answering me. Others get a little too sensitive when asked to support their position.

Perfect, thank you that was what I was looking for. Hos measurables at the combine were solid and in line with other top prospects, there are football aspects athletic wise that they are questioning. I appreciate your patience in answering me. Others get a little too sensitive when asked to support their position.
I was glad to find that my opinion had merit. :) I'm hopeful that he's going to have a great career in the NFL and be worthy of having been picked much sooner!

well, not only that, but since the population of places like Iowa is so small and sparse (largest city has 250,000), the people who come from places like Iowa are inherently stupid, uneducated, backward, and really do not amount to much in life.

We just cannot seem to keep up with these sophisticated northernes and people from large densely populated states like Florida and Texas and California.
Generally your last paragraph is absolutely correct.

Broncos sign first-round IOWA tight end Noah Fant

By RYAN O'HALLORAN
rohalloran@denverpost.com
The Denver Post
May 23, 2019

First-round tight end Noah Fant signed a four-year contract with a team option for a fifth year following today’s organized team activity.

Fant was selected No. 20 overall by the Broncos after general manager John Elway traded down 10 spots with Pittsburgh, which drafted linebacker Devin Bush.

Per the industry website Spotrac,

Fant’s contract:

* Will be worth $12.55M, including

* A $7.15M signing bonus

His salary cap charge this year will be $2,282,363.

This is a smile of a 21 year old millionaire who just signed his first NFL contract.

hUEikyhP

Reactions: chill_hawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT