ADVERTISEMENT

Since when is saying Russia defeated Germany in WWII controversial?,...

will be interesting to see what happens with the Hawkeyes now that they don't have the West Division to hide in.

Stalin didn't think the Soviet Union was going to be "defeated" in November 1943.

It's like you have a drawstring on your back. Are you on the spectrum?

It's like you have a drawstring on your back. Are you on the spectrum?

I don't think or at least haven't been diagnosed. You think Iowa stays within six TDs of the Bucks this season?

Stalin wasn't talking about the Soviets being conquered by the Germans at Tehran.

How was Germany winning the war in late 1943?

I don't think or at least haven't been diagnosed. You think Iowa stays within six TDs of the Bucks this season?

Stalin wasn't talking about the Soviets being conquered by the Germans at Tehran.

Maybe it's not autism. Your wires seemed crossed right now, like a stroke. All of this because you're too sensitive to admit a minor and anonymous mistake on the internet. This is exactly what I meant when I described that oftentimes posters are more interesting than the topics they post about.

Repeat this three times before bed and you will have totally redeemed yourself: "Stalin didn't think the Soviet Union was going to be "defeated" in November 1943."

Maybe it's not autism. Your wires seemed crossed right now, like a stroke. All of this because you're too sensitive to admit a minor and anonymous mistake on the internet. This is exactly what I meant when I described that oftentimes posters are more interesting than the topics they post about.

Repeat this three times before bed and you will have totally redeemed yourself: "Stalin didn't think the Soviet Union was going to be "defeated" in November 1943.

War wasn't exactly going in Germany's favor in 1943.

"Stalin didn't think the Soviet Union was going to be "defeated" in November 1943.
"Stalin didn't think the Soviet Union was going to be "defeated" in November 1943.

Doesn't change the fact that Germany was in pretty tough shape in late 1943. Best of luck on becoming bowl eligible.

291k American dead for Trump to claim the Russians defeated Hitler.

No wonder he didn’t want to go to Aisne-Marne.

Last edited:

Repeat this three times before bed and you will have totally redeemed yourself: "Stalin didn't think the Soviet Union was going to be "defeated" in November 1943."

I feel bad for saying this and all. But why do you have those sick kids watch the Hawks. Don't they know what's coming against Coach Day?

War wasn't exactly going in Germany's favor in 1943.

Doesn't change the fact that Germany was in pretty tough shape in late 1943. Best of luck on becoming bowl eligible.

Stalin said something of the sort.

You made a mistake. You know so much about the war, you've invested so much time, it's part of your identity. This wasn't supposed to happen to you, this never happens to you, yet it happened. A minor mistake on a anonymous internet message board. Devastating. You could have just acknowledged it and then explained what you really meant like it was just a misunderstanding. But no, even that would have been too damaging.

It wouldn't have been that damaging. It's ok to mess up. Admitting an error doesn't destroy your credibility, it can enhance it. You would still be the guy who knows lots about the war, it would be ok.

It's not your fault
It's not your fault
It's not your fault
It's not your fault

Anyhow, since you've been kind enough to answer some of my personality questions. I will do the same with your football commentary. I don't anticipate much of a issue for Iowa to become bowl eligible, there are so many bowls, it seems like most years they have to invite 5 win teams.

I don't anticipate much of a issue for Iowa to become bowl eligible, there are so many bowls, it seems like most years they have to invite 5 win teams.
Stalin said something of the sort.

You made a mistake. You know so much about the war, you've invested so much time, it's part of your identity. This wasn't supposed to happen to you, this never happens to you, yet it happened. A minor mistake on a anonymous internet message board. Devastating. You could have just acknowledged it and then explained what you really meant like it was just a misunderstanding. But no, even that would have been too damaging.

It wouldn't have been that damaging. It's ok to mess up. Admitting an error doesn't destroy your credibility, it can enhance it. You would still be the guy who knows lots about the war, it would be ok.

It's not your fault
It's not your fault
It's not your fault
It's not your fault

Anyhow, since you've been kind enough to answer some of my personality questions. I will do the same with your football commentary. I don't anticipate much of a issue for Iowa to become bowl eligible, there are so many bowls, it seems like most years they have to invite 5 win teams.

the Soviet Union was getting asskicked in late 1943. That is your point of view.

Kinda crazy that, after a 44-point loss, Iowa’s defensive efficiency rating went up, OSU’s offensive efficiency rating went down. It’s hard to put into words how much Brian Ferentz’s offense has HURT Iowa the last few years. Not “barely helped” or “stagnated”, the offense was a negative force and in that OSU game, cost Iowa at least 28 points.

The talk about the new schedule/Big Ten West stuff is severely overblown. The conference is bigger, so every team sees teams better than them no more or less often than before.

Thread derailing is fully underway!

Reactions: sober_teacher
Kinda crazy that, after a 44-point loss, Iowa’s defensive efficiency rating went up, OSU’s offensive efficiency rating went down. It’s hard to put into words how much Brian Ferentz’s offense has HURT Iowa the last few years. Not “barely helped” or “stagnated”, the offense was a negative force and in that OSU game, cost Iowa at least 28 points.

The talk about the new schedule/Big Ten West stuff is severely overblown. The conference is bigger, so every team sees teams better than them no more or less often than before.

Coach Ryan Day picks the score in Ohio Stadium. Many Laughs

Not going to get into the middle of a historical war debate because frankly IDGAF.

The far more interesting topic (assuming that the clip in the OP is recent) is why a former POTUS and current candidate for the office continues to slob the knob of one of the most despicable countries and governments in the entire world? Surely there must be a compelling motive to explain such wretched behavior? It’s troubling to me that it’s progressed to a frequently seen pattern of behaviors.

Reactions: ThorneStockton

Good luck.

Not going to get into the middle of a historical war debate because frankly IDGAF.

The far more interesting topic (assuming that the clip in the OP is recent) is why a former POTUS and current candidate for the office continues to slob the knob of one of the most despicable countries and governments in the entire world? Surely there must be a compelling motive to explain such wretched behavior? It’s troubling to me that it’s progressed to a frequently seen pattern of behaviors.

are you looking forward to watching Iowa get slapped around by Oregon, Mich, tOSU. Can't camp out in the Big West anymore.

Coach Ryan Day picks the score in Ohio Stadium. Many Laughs
OK? Not sure I agree. You seem to know history, so you probably recall games that OSU was a big favorite in and lost.

Ohio State watched their biggest rival hoist THE trophy and fired up the NIL war machine. Good for them. Iowa will never be one of the elites, but the last two seasons have severely distorted many fans’ (Iowa fans and CFB fans at large) view of just who Iowa is. We spent a long time being a tough out for everyone. Brian is gone, I expect things to be a bit different.

For the record, I’ve already bet OSU +600 to win the NC.

OK? Not sure I agree. You seem to know history, so you probably recall games that OSU was a big favorite in and lost.

Ohio State watched their biggest rival hoist THE trophy and fired up the NIL war machine. Good for them. Iowa will never be one of the elites, but the last two seasons have severely distorted many fans’ (Iowa fans and CFB fans at large) view of just who Iowa is. We spent a long time being a tough out for everyone. Brian is gone, I expect things to be a bit different.

For the record, I’ve already bet OSU +600 to win the NC.
MSU, Wisky, maybe Neb, I'm not sure who else,..but a lot of programs could do better than Cpt. Kirk.

against the battered last reserves of the German Army. Ducking the Germans in both Wars was a wise decision.
That’s not totally fair.

We faced some pretty good units in North Africa.

During the Normandy campaign during the breakout phase the US faced the 2nd SS panzer and 17th SS panzer grenadiers.

During the Ardennes the faced some really well equipped (for that time of the war) SS divisions.

Overall, yes we faced some depleted and well worn units in Europe but they fought pretty hard in Hurtgen and other places.

Faced some good units in Sicily and Italy as well.

Last edited:
That’s not totally fair.

We faced some pretty good units in North Africa.

During the Normandy campaign during the breakout phase the US faced the 2nd SS panzer and 17th SS panzer grenadiers.

During the Ardennes the faced some really well equipped (for that time of the war) SS divisions.

Overall, yes we some depleted and well worn units in Europe but they fought pretty hard in Hurtgen and other places.

Faced some good units in Sicily and Italy as well
We also faced the majority of the Luftwaffe and Kreigsmarine.

We also faced the majority of the Luftwaffe and Kreigsmarine.
Kriegsmarine definitely yes.

Luftwaffe? From mid 1943 on it was about 50/50. In the west the luftwaffe was fighter heavy to combat the bombing campaign once they took the bombing campaign seriously. In the east they committed more bomber/attack aircraft.

Reactions: preshlock
Lend-lease is the only reason Russia survived.
It's debatable. It didn't make a significant difference. The Soviet Union had unlimited resources internally and tremendous production capacity which it mobilized to prevent destruction.

"The total US Lend-Lease delivery to Soviet amounted only some 5-6% of the total Soviet war production. The majority was delivered 1943–1945.It did however provide a positive psychological effect from early 1942.

It was Britain that got both the absolute and relative real huge share of the US Lend-Lease. Not the Soviet Union"

The 1942 Soviet victory at Stalingrad (which was the culmination of the failure of the German offensive aimed at the Caucus) was the beginning of the end of the German campaign. From that point Germany was capable of only one more major offensive campaign (Kursk) which ended in failure.

Our bravado tendencies give us ownership over most everything. Evidence: the battered bastards of Bastogne was a regiment in a theater by which time had little importance strategically but was a huge PR story. The Germans were gassed and without reserves with no air support. The British and Canadians weren't even interested.

Morale of this story: if you want accurate history rely on data other than the country you are reporting on is supplying you.

It's debatable. It didn't make a significant difference. The Soviet Union had unlimited resources internally and tremendous production capacity which it mobilized to prevent destruction.

"The total US Lend-Lease delivery to Soviet amounted only some 5-6% of the total Soviet war production. The majority was delivered 1943–1945.It did however provide a positive psychological effect from early 1942.

It was Britain that got both the absolute and relative real huge share of the US Lend-Lease. Not the Soviet Union"

The 1942 Soviet victory at Stalingrad (which was the culmination of the failure of the German offensive aimed at the Caucus) was the beginning of the end of the German campaign. From that point Germany was capable of only one more major offensive campaign (Kursk) which ended in failure.

Our bravado tendencies give us ownership over most everything. Evidence: the battered bastards of Bastogne was a regiment in a theater by which time had little importance strategically but was a huge PR story. The Germans were gassed and without reserves with no air support. The British and Canadians weren't even interested.

Morale of this story: if you want accurate history rely on data other than the country you are reporting on is supplying you.

OH, boy, you are wanting to get deep here. I can explain everything to you, but only if you have an open mind.
Yes, Russia didnt care about their citizens. Stalin didn't care about the life loss.

Given inflation, in true numbers the US gave over 180 billion to Soviet Union

OH, boy, you are wanting to get deep here. I can explain everything to you, but only if you have an open mind.
Yes, Russia didnt care about their citizens. Stalin didn't care about the life loss.

Given inflation, in true numbers the US gave over 180 billion to Soviet Union

The monetary issue isn't of interest to me. It's timing and conditions. The German invasion preempted most of what the Soviet Union benefited, and within a short time they had modernized and standardized armor and armaments beyond anything we could provide them.

And designed and produced aircraft more than competitive with the German's. It can't be understated how important it is to fight on and protect your homeland, thus not having hundreds and even thousands of miles of exposed supply lines. And, not having a mad man despot calling the shots.

The monetary issue isn't of interest to me. It's timing and conditions. The German invasion preempted most of what the Soviet Union benefited, and within a short time they had modernized and standardized armor and armaments beyond anything we could provide them.

And designed and produced aircraft more than competitive with the German's. It can't be understated how important it is to fight on and protect your homeland, thus not having hundreds and even thousands of miles of exposed supply lines. And, not having a mad man despot calling the shots.
From October 1, 1941, to May 31, 1945, the United States delivered to the Soviet Union 427,284 trucks, 13,303 combat vehicles, 35,170 motorcycles, 2,328 ordnance service vehicles, 2,670,371 tons of petroleum products (gasoline and oil) or 57.8 percent of the aviation fuel including nearly 90 percent of high-octane fuel used, 4,478,116 tons of foodstuffs (canned meats, sugar, flour, salt, etc.), 1,911 steam locomotives, 66 diesel locomotives, 9,920 flat cars, 1,000 dump cars, 120 tank cars, and 35 heavy machinery cars. Ordnance goods (ammunition, artillery shells, mines, assorted explosives) provided amounted to 53 percent of total domestic consumption.

Reactions: BrianNole777
From October 1, 1941, to May 31, 1945, the United States delivered to the Soviet Union 427,284 trucks, 13,303 combat vehicles, 35,170 motorcycles, 2,328 ordnance service vehicles, 2,670,371 tons of petroleum products (gasoline and oil) or 57.8 percent of the aviation fuel including nearly 90 percent of high-octane fuel used, 4,478,116 tons of foodstuffs (canned meats, sugar, flour, salt, etc.), 1,911 steam locomotives, 66 diesel locomotives, 9,920 flat cars, 1,000 dump cars, 120 tank cars, and 35 heavy machinery cars. Ordnance goods (ammunition, artillery shells, mines, assorted explosives) provided amounted to 53 percent of total domestic consumption.

1941-1945 is not meaningless but the Soviet Union was in control and Germany was in complete withdrawal by 1943. The locomotives started arriving in 1944.

It's context, but the Soviet Union was the largest nation on earth with the massive resources and productive capacity, and huge volumes of human beings for the war machine and industry.

Like I said, it's debatable. Germany could not defeat the Soviet Union. Hitler's interference delaying the assault on Moscow was a nightmare that simply delayed the inevitable. Diverting Paulus to Stalingrad, splitting forces rather than resolving the Caucus Theater was a throw away, although it's obvious it was a fool's errand anyway.

We can't conceive warfare fought on the scale of battles like Stalingrad and Moscow. Or on the steppes of Ukraine or Belarus.

You realize they shot their own people retreating.

Soviets would have collapsed if it wasn't for U.S. support. Even my commie professors in the history department at U of Iowa acknowledge that

You realize they shot their own people retreating.

Soviets would have collapsed if it wasn't for U.S. support. Even my commie professors in the history department at U of Iowa acknowledge that

They were cruel and vicious and killed much of their officer corps before the war to ward off threats of mutiny, the dictatorial paranoia. I won't argue further re: Soviet's benefit of Lend-Lease. I have studied World War 1 and 2 histories for decades as a hobby sense and formed my thoughts and ideas. BTW, I have virile dislike of the Soviet Union. I admit to being a Imperialist and would have preferred a sympathetic Tsar.

I won't say my positions are absolute in a sense that I can arbitrate this, so I'll keep my opinion. I am knowledgeable of facts and have considerable resources from varied sources, including memoirs and accounts of events published from participants or their staff members of the Allies and Axis.

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
We can't conceive warfare fought on the scale of battles like Stalingrad and Moscow. Or on the steppes of Ukraine or Belarus.
Neither could the Germans frankly imo - if they had, their strategy might have been different.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT