ADVERTISEMENT

SIX straight

You kind of beg the question. I don't know Kilroy, unless you're making some kind of subtle reference to Styx, but I used the last five years so as to not just cherry pick good years. Also, to answer the fools that "demand" changing our head coach. Whether the division finishes are 2nd or 3rd there are still an awful lot of teams whose last five years aren't as good as Iowa's. A lot of P5 schools would trade with Iowa.

The last five seasons seem a reasonable metric for the "what have you done for me lately", the usual barometer for long time but now failing coaches. Well Kirk Ferentz is coming off a 10 win nationally ranked season and has Iowa currently nationally ranked (19) again this season.

You get a lot more Steve Alfords and Todd Lickliters when you abandon your career winningest coach just for the sake of change.
Be thankful you don't know kilroy/bobtarn/dragonhawk. He was king of using random obscure data sets. Dead giveaway on kilroy post:

Player x RSJR 4star 6-1 192 will be taking over when Player Y RSSR 3 star 6-2 184........

I'm not in the perpetual "fire KF" crowd I'm more in the "I was born in '85 and have really only known 1 coach for my entire life who we can all agree plays a pretty vanilla brand of football, im not as affraid of change as those of you who constantly reference the pre Hayden years anytime change is brought up". KF is a good coach and a better man but at this point he is destined for 1 of two things, he will either leave while some say he could have stayed or he will leave when we all say he stayed a couple years too long. Change foe change sake isn't good, change after 22 years isn't change for change sake, the teams that know how to beat us could write a manual on what we do and when we are going to do it.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
The bigger problem is the locker room. I think Petras is starting to enter the dreading realm of the other players not believing in him. You could physically see the difference in the play of others when we made QB changes in the past for this exact reason.

I think Petras has the tools to be very good here but so far is not showing them as often as he needs to. I dont think we will see Padilla barring injury but I don't think it would be a bad idea to get him a meaningful series or two. I do hope that Petras makes strides with a full off season but I want spring and fall camp to be an open competition.

Be thankful you don't know kilroy/bobtarn/dragonhawk. He was king of using random obscure data sets. Dead giveaway on kilroy post:

Player x RSJR 4star 6-1 192 will be taking over when Player Y RSSR 3 star 6-2 184........

I'm not in the perpetual "fire KF" crowd I'm more in the "I was born in '85 and have really only known 1 coach for my entire life who we can all agree plays a pretty vanilla brand of football, im not as affraid of change as those of you who constantly reference the pre Hayden years anytime change is brought up". KF is a good coach and a better man but at this point he is destined for 1 of two things, he will either leave while some say he could have stayed or he will leave when we all say he stayed a couple years too long. Change foe change sake isn't good, change after 22 years isn't change for change sake, the teams that know how to beat us could write a manual on what we do and when we are going to do it.

I kind of remember that guy now. Didn't pay much attention since his observations were usually kind of silly.

You are the same age as my boy. You're still in the "young man in a hurry" stage of your life. That's not an insult, almost every man's life has that phase. At your age life has been mostly about changes, graduate HS, then college, maybe transferred schools, jumped around in a few jobs, maybe have some young kids at home, maybe a few really shitty break ups where you had to reframe your life on short notice.

I was about your age when the fire Dr. Davis shit started. Like many of the younger guys I could see mostly just upside in getting a younger coach with new ideas. A guy that had done some winning at a mid major. A man from my generation, a coach on the rise, even though personally I knew Dr. Davis was an outstanding man, a good role model and teacher. But, damn it, why couldn't Iowa break through to that top 16 kind of program from more of a top 30 kind of program. Didn't really want to see Dr. Davis go but I was OK with the idea of a trade up to a younger, sportier model.

Well, we got our hot young coach, fresh off a Sweet 16 with Missouri State or SW Missouri (don't know when the name changed) when we hired Steve Alford. And Alford did indeed take Iowa to a new level, the gutter. So, after only 8 seasons the combination of not winning, a carousel roster and a truly astounding degree of personal arrogance, entitlement and condescension Alford was run out of town. I was all for that change because: A) I found Alford to be a genuinely lousy person that attracted others like him-hence the roster carousel and B) More importantly, I did not think it was possible for Iowa, a historically successful program that had not yet hit the complete dumpster, to get any worse than the Alford results.

Then we hired Todd Lickliter. Todd is a good guy-the anti Alford in that respect. Todd had been to two Sweet 16s in the previous six seasons at Butler and was NCoY when we hired him. Todd proved it was possible for Iowa basketball to not only get worse but catastrophically worse. Todd couldn't even see over the gutter into which Alford drug us. So Lick was gone after three years.

Now, another ten years later, although its looking good at this point, Iowa basketball has still not met or exceeded Dr. Davis' last season (now 20 years ago) much less his best season. Look around the country and count up the programs that have a better record either recently or over the last 22 seasons than Iowa football. Not many, especially in this and the previous five seasons-which might be the best evidence of where the program is, not living on distant glories of an aging and longer successful coach, but what has the coach done lately.

So whenever you find yourself bored with a game plan or pissed at a close loss to a Blue Blood program, or whatever voodoo they've got going in Evanston, and you think our program needs change, and brother I have been there, look down: there's a long long way to fall.

Last edited:
Why are the defenders of our average-at-best Iowa QBs always say "look! we won some games! we're so good so no critiques!"

We have won countless games in SPITE of (sometimes) horrific QB play. Phil Parker has propped this program up on his shoulders and we're so incredibly lucky to have him. If we have a halfway decent QB, we would have easily been winning the West the past few years.

Yes, Stanley has a bunch of near-records, but that's inflated due to several first round TEs pulling him out, and modern day offenses that put up more numbers than your 80s and 90s teams. Petras is also getting pulled along by the best OL in the B1G and the second best RB along with the best or second best defense. If we didn't have literally all of those factors and had to rely on Petras winning us games, we'd be winless right now.
You confuse rb or wr with qb.

LOL For the 2001 season, McCann's passer rating was slightly higher than Banks'. That's what I was referring to. I have no idea if Iowa's record is better than 7-5 in 2001 if Banks is the full-time starter. I don't think it is. But Banks didn't clearly outplay McCann in 2001 as people like to believe.
Not sure about this.

All the above. I hope Ferentz retires on his terms, but Iowa is not fun to watch most games. Just my opinion.

What exactly do you want? Yes, two slip ups to start a very weird season but we lead the conference in point differential. There's no guarantee a new coach is winning 10 games a year...look who we just played.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT