ADVERTISEMENT

So....school reopening is going well...

That's not accurate. I went on last week and it told me no test was needed.

Just went there and got the following...

We would like to offer testing to anyone who is interested, including individuals who have already been tested and have their results. Please indicate your preference below:
1. I am interested in being tested.
2. I am not interested in being tested.

This has nothing to do with me on a personal level. My beliefs are based on what I thinking best for students and the country given the situation we find ourselves in. It’s based on a professional opinion that takes into account the psychiatric and economic effects as well as the public health ones. I’m not the only health professional to feel this way. So save me your ‘uninformed’ comments. Failure to agree with you doesn’t make one so. I guarantee I’m more well read and damned sure more experienced by virtue of seeing this thing in person the last 5 months than you. My experience with it informs my opinion. Does yours?
Oh FFS, you have A perspective. Not THE perspective. Get over yourself. And yes, my experience informs my position just as it does with everyone. It's stupid to suggest otherwise.

For those of you suggesting we stay at home and go from there: How is a parent supposed to watch thier kid, educate them, and still work to pay bills?

Riley you and i have had the "every decision is a risk analysis of good vs bad" conversafion before. No one thinks sending kids back to school is 100% good but the other option isn't an option. Whats the old saying

Life's a b1tch but the alternative isn't an option. Thats kinda what we are looking at. Again, any of you that are bitching about reopening better be staying in home unless absolutely an emergency.
It doesn't have to be 100% either way, which is the problem with Trump and some of the Governors. It should be determined based on the local conditions and their plans as a community. Where it makes sense, go back into the schools and be very diligent with masks, distancing and cleaning. Have widespread testing and contact tracing available. In other places online makes more sense.

The problem is there is a faction, led by Trump, that wants schools opened no matter what. That's very risky and dumb. But that's the path we're headed toward.

Point it out then. You won't because you can't.

A kid who has it in school presumably has been in contact with dozens of others who now may be infected. This is a serious disease, they have to take precautions to prevent further spread which means, at the very least, isolating anyone in contact until they can be tested and shown to be negative or symptom free for 14 days.

OK

Well, deaths are down considerably since late April/ early May to now. Point one you are wrong on.

We are testing at a clip WAY past any other country. Somewhere around 60 million tests. With more test you do, the more positives you get. ALSO, you know that for every positive test you have 10-20 people that are positive. That means your death rate is complete BS. Point two

Lastly, you complain about people at bars and restaurants...ok that is somewhat valid but I hope you have been home since March and not gone anywhere. Or else you sound like a giant hypocrite

Eighteen weeks ago we did ‘2 weeks to flatten the curve’ and now we’ve regressed to ‘let’s keep’er all shut down forever because some kid, somewhere, some day, MIGHT die’

What a cluster****

Just went there and got the following...

We would like to offer testing to anyone who is interested, including individuals who have already been tested and have their results. Please indicate your preference below:
1. I am interested in being tested.
2. I am not interested in being tested.
I just went out there and it shows this on the main page. https://www.testiowa.com/en

ASSESS
Answer a few questions to determine your current risk and provide the Iowa Department of Public Health and government leaders insight into our collective health. You’ll also receive accurate, evidence-based information on COVID-19.

TEST
We can’t test everyone, but we’ll prioritize testing for those who currently have symptoms, have interacted with someone who has already tested positive, or have recently visited places where COVID-19 is more widespread. We’ll confirm a time slot for your test and direct you to a drive-through testing location.

TRACK
If you’ve tested positive, we’ll ask you to answer some questions to help isolate the infection rate; for example, who you might have been in contact with and where you have traveled recently.

TAKE THE ASSESSMENT:

Your responses call into question your credentials. Tele-health has been overwhelmingly successful during the pandemic. Again, you should read up on it to get current. It has great applicability beyond this crisis as well and the increased comfort patients and doctors have will allow it to grow rapidly going forward. About the only people who aren't enthusiastic about it are some doctors who are worried about their bottom line. Tele-health is certainly more economical than office visits which is good overall, but will affect what some doctors earn.

In your teaching example, what if many teachers want to do online leaving too few to teach in person? Something has to give. Does the governor make some teachers go back in the classroom? Or do they tell some kids they can't go back in person? You've been trying to make it a simple choice each individual can make on their own but it's far more complex than that.
Telehealth has very little applicability to the normal day to day practice of Emergency Medicine. Can it have some utility in some small areas of it such as follow up? Sure.

Can it be used to do much of psychiatry? Heck yeah. That specialty is very well positioned to do much of it that way and was doing so prior to SARS CoV2. It has been a key part of providing psychiatric services to critical access hospitals. Without it we’d be in a huge mess. I’m thankful for it.

lastly, telehealth has been used in some specialties as a bridge until in person visits can be done safely. Now they can be done safely so people are back to it.

Virtual instruction has been a bridge as well. And can continue to be until in person can be done safely. Our state experts feel it can be done safely so I’ll follow there recommendations. Especially since they mirror the position of the AAP. If cases pop up, if students and teachers aren’t masking, if
problems arise with sanitation and distancing, we will need to reassess. I’m not for in person instruction no matter what happens. However I’m also not for some vocals teachers attempting to change the narrative based on fear and misinformation either.

I just went out there and it shows this on the main page. https://www.testiowa.com/en

ASSESS
Answer a few questions to determine your current risk and provide the Iowa Department of Public Health and government leaders insight into our collective health. You’ll also receive accurate, evidence-based information on COVID-19.

TEST
We can’t test everyone, but we’ll prioritize testing for those who currently have symptoms, have interacted with someone who has already tested positive, or have recently visited places where COVID-19 is more widespread. We’ll confirm a time slot for your test and direct you to a drive-through testing location.

TRACK
If you’ve tested positive, we’ll ask you to answer some questions to help isolate the infection rate; for example, who you might have been in contact with and where you have traveled recently.

TAKE THE ASSESSMENT:
Did you ask for a test and do the assessment?

Is it or is it that we are offing testing to way more people and we are seeking a fair amount of A symptomatic positives?

Nope. Mississippi had an 8% decline in tests, and a major increase (like 22% to 37%) positives. That's completely backwards, and it indicates out-of-control spread.

Nope. Mississippi had an 8% decline in tests, and a major increase (like 22% to 37%) positives. That's completely backwards, and it indicates out-of-control spread.
Its funny to read your post and know that you are exponentially more likely to get it and spread it as you sit on a throne of hypocrisy. 3 pubs in the last week. You have exposed/been exposed to more people in tbe last week than I have the last 2 months and you cry like a girl. Do your part and quit b1tching.

ASSESS

TEST

TRACK

TAKE THE ASSESSMENT:

Yeah,... so take the assessment and then ask for a test when prompted...

OK

Well, deaths are down considerably since late April/ early May to now. Point one you are wrong on.

We are testing at a clip WAY past any other country. Somewhere around 60 million tests. With more test you do, the more positives you get. ALSO, you know that for every positive test you have 10-20 people that are positive. That means your death rate is complete BS. Point two

Lastly, you complain about people at bars and restaurants...ok that is somewhat valid but I hope you have been home since March and not gone anywhere. Or else you sound like a giant hypocrite
Deaths are climbing at an alarming rate - more than 1000/day. Perhaps you don't care about that.

Our testing per capita is abysmal. Contact tracing is even worse. We have done more tests because our population is higher, not because we are doing it more thoroughly.

As I said, the issue with bars/restaurants is people going there without masks and not distancing. I've never done that.

Three strikes - yer out.

Lol at the guy using a 1% death rate. I dont know that we ever get to full "herd immunity" but this thing is going to have a death rate around. .1-.2 when its all said and done. It doesn't kill healthy people, it ravaged the old and unhealthy and will continue to do so but the numbers will drop.
Could we see your peer-reviewed research backing this up? For reference, the flu is generally regarded as having an IFR of about .1% so I look forward to your research showing a Covid-sized flu outbreak with concomitant death rates striking NY...or FL...or TX.

TIA

Deaths are climbing at an alarming rate - more than 1000/day. Perhaps you don't care about that.

Our testing per capita is abysmal. Contact tracing is even worse. We have done more tests because our population is higher, not because we are doing it more thoroughly.

As I said, the issue with bars/restaurants is people going there without masks and not distancing. I've never done that.

Three strikes - yer out.
Source?

Could we see your peer-reviewed research backing this up? For reference, the flu is generally regarded as having an IFR of about .1% so I look forward to your research showing a Covid-sized flu outbreak with concomitant death rates striking NY...or FL...or TX.

TIA
Sure give me about 8 months when it has gone through the entire population and starts losing ground in healthy bodies and i will have that.

The old and the weak died off and are dying off after that the virus won't kill its host.

Oh FFS, you have A perspective. Not THE perspective. Get over yourself. And yes, my experience informs my position just as it does with everyone. It's stupid to suggest otherwise.
Precisely! Nor is your perspective the only perspective. But many SIPers on here act like theirs is the only correct opinion and those with others simply ‘want people to die’. Haven’t you been following along?

Telehealth has very little applicability to the normal day to day practice of Emergency Medicine. Can it have some utility in some small areas of it such as follow up? Sure.

Can it be used to do much of psychiatry? Heck yeah. That specialty is very well positioned to do much of it that way and was doing so prior to SARS CoV2. It has been a key part of providing psychiatric services to critical access hospitals. Without it we’d be in a huge mess. I’m thankful for it.

lastly, telehealth has been used in some specialties as a bridge until in person visits can be done safely. Now they can be done safely so people are back to it.

Virtual instruction has been a bridge as well. And can continue to be until in person can be done safely. Our state experts feel it can be done safely so I’ll follow there recommendations. Especially since they mirror the position of the AAP. If cases pop up, if students and teachers aren’t masking, if
problems arise with sanitation and distancing, we will need to reassess. I’m not for in person instruction no matter what happens. However I’m also not for some vocals teachers attempting to change the narrative based on fear and misinformation either.
Tele-health has demonstrated great success in EMS as well. It is used for triage, determining the proper location and alternative transportation just for starters. A study in Houston with the FD there yielded:

Over 12 months, EMS providers enrolled 5,570 patients and compared them to a control group of patients with similar conditions who did not participate in the study. Of the patients included in the ETHAN program, 18% were transported to the ED vs. 74% in the control group. EMS crews were reported to have returned to services 44 minutes faster for the ETHAN patients. Researchers were able to conclude there was no difference in clinical outcomes or patient satisfaction for either of the groups.

The Houston Fire Department's telehealth program reported an estimated savings of $1.771 million in direct costs during the most recent year and over $4.712 million since the program began. These cost savings are for the agency alone and don't factor in hospital-related cost savings from ED visits avoided.

https://www.healthrecoverysolutions.com/blog/ambulatory_telehealth

This is but one example. Again, you should really read up on it - utilizing the technology has some amazing benefits in ongoing monitoring, assessment, access to care, etc.

As for school, waiting until a problem arises is a very poor plan when we're talking about a dangerous virus.

#SocialSafetyNetsWork
Easy for you to say now that you are a recipient of that safety net.

Surprisingly many still derive satisfaction from a good days work. Being a useful contributor to society and giving oneself a feeling of accomplishment still is important to many of us. Sitting home collecting a check from those that are contributing just isn’t in the DNA of most of Americans.

Sure give me about 8 months when it has gone through the entire population and starts losing ground in healthy bodies and i will have that.

The old and the weak died off and are dying off after that the virus won't kill its host.
Ahhh...so complete and utter bullshit. Thanks. That was what I thought but I wasn't sure.

And were it to burn through "the entire population" at your IFR of .15% we'd have nearly half a million "old and weak" dead.

In 8 months.

And - once again - just for reference that's more dead Americans than died in combat in all of our 20th century wars combined.

So...good job. Brilliant, really.

Reactions: RileyHawk
Did you ask for a test and do the assessment?
Just showing what the message is on the front page. Based on what others have said I'm sure I could get a test now. That wasn't always the case. And the messaging is still confusing. In the end, I don't think Kim wants more people to test although that should be a goal.

Ahhh...so complete and utter bullshit. Thanks. That was what I thought but I wasn't sure.

And were it to burn through "the entire population" at your IFR of .15% we'd have nearly half a million "old and weak" dead.

In 8 months.

And - once again - just for reference that's more dead Americans than died in combat in all of our 20th century wars combined.

So...good job. Brilliant, really.
Fvcking Bat eaters, right?

Tele-health has demonstrated great success in EMS as well. It is used for triage, determining the proper location and alternative transportation just for starters. A study in Houston with the FD there yielded:

Over 12 months, EMS providers enrolled 5,570 patients and compared them to a control group of patients with similar conditions who did not participate in the study. Of the patients included in the ETHAN program, 18% were transported to the ED vs. 74% in the control group. EMS crews were reported to have returned to services 44 minutes faster for the ETHAN patients. Researchers were able to conclude there was no difference in clinical outcomes or patient satisfaction for either of the groups.

The Houston Fire Department's telehealth program reported an estimated savings of $1.771 million in direct costs during the most recent year and over $4.712 million since the program began. These cost savings are for the agency alone and don't factor in hospital-related cost savings from ED visits avoided.

https://www.healthrecoverysolutions.com/blog/ambulatory_telehealth

This is but one example. Again, you should really read up on it - utilizing the technology has some amazing benefits in ongoing monitoring, assessment, access to care, etc.

As for school, waiting until a problem arises is a very poor plan when we're talking about a dangerous virus.
Point taken. I wasn’t referring to EMS rather the practice of medicine within the Emergency Department. But sure it has applicability there.

I am for telehealth. Especially now. Where it makes sense.

I’m am also for online instruction. Where it makes sense. But like teleheath has no application to undergoing orthopedic surgery, it doesn’t have great application to long term primary age education either.

Precisely! Nor is your perspective the only perspective. But many SIPers on here act like theirs is the only correct opinion and those with others simply ‘want people to die’. Haven’t you been following along?
No - I've seen you claiming expertise and calling for schools to open no matter what where others have taken an approach of making those decisions at a community level. You are advocating blanket treatment for everyone, others of us are saying what's right for one school may not be for another AND we need testing/tracing to be prepared.

Just showing what the message is on the front page. Based on what others have said I'm sure I could get a test now. That wasn't always the case. And the messaging is still confusing. In the end, I don't think Kim wants more people to test although that should be a goal.
Sure There are probably cases where the narrative on the website are entirely up-to-date. Go to the questions, be truthful, sign up for a test. See if it’s possible. It should be. I would do it myself but I would automatically qualify when I state I am a healthcare worker. This wouldn’t help you answer your question. Additionally I’d like to see you undergo testing. Youre for more broad base testing right? Go get one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT