ADVERTISEMENT

So who will be candidates for returners now?

mazda1

HR All-American
Sep 22, 2015
We’re any of the incoming group excelling in high school? Do any of the backs or DB’s have quickness to show potential?

I think Charlie must have seen others on the roster who would take touches away from him. Thus reducing the visibility of his profile for NFL scouts.

Kaden Wetjen can supposedly fly.

Our last few punt returners are usually walk-on transfers anyways.
I got blasted a month ago for posting that I thought his JC tape showed him a more explosive player than Jones. We will see.

Kind of crazy Iowa has lost four scholarship receivers since last Fall: Jones, Tracy, Hutson, and Mathews, and yet they only signed one WR in last year's class. They are going to need to sign several this year to get the numbers up. Mota is on board but I would guess they sign at least two more this year. It is a shame they couldn't sell Kasper on coming here.

Kind of crazy Iowa has lost four scholarship receivers since last Fall: Jones, Tracy, Hutson, and Mathews, and yet they only signed one WR in last year's class. They are going to need to sign several this year to get the numbers up. Mota is on board but I would guess they sign at least two more this year. It is a shame they couldn't sell Kasper on coming here.
jones is the only guy i feel bad about. opportunity to replace the other 3 offers much upside imo.

Reactions: perryhawk
jones is the only guy i feel bad about. opportunity to replace the other 3 offers much upside imo.
Yeah, I don't think losing them is bad but they didn't replace them which has left the room really thin Almost like back when Copeland took over.

Reactions: KFSuperStar
Maybe I missed something, but Gavin Williams was second string on the depth chart. Why wouldn't he be first in line?

Maybe I missed something, but Gavin Williams was second string on the depth chart. Why wouldn't he be first in line?
Not for punts, though. And if Gavin is the starting back, I would hope that the coaching staff wouldn't risk injuring him on kickoffs. There has to be decent alternatives. Bruce or Keagan, for example.

Reactions: iowahawkeyes1982
THE X FACTOR , DeJean, Bruce, Kaleb Johnson, The new guy from IWCC. We will be fine 🙂

It's really crazy how a good ST coach can be overseen by an individual athlete.
We may never know the "why" - could have been the player, the coach, the other coaches (OC), etc.

Needs to be sure handed, fearless, elusive & speedy.

ImpishUnimportantBlackpanther-size_restricted.gif

Put Entringer at WR please! His high school tape is impressive at WR. Time to get more skilled guys to the offensive side of the ball, especially with a packed DB room
The safety room isn’t that packed. Once Kaevon graduates, Koen will have a great shot at winning that spot.

The safety room isn’t that packed. Once Kaevon graduates, Koen will have a great shot at winning that spot.
We have a five star safety that would like a word. I’d guess Nwankpa and DeJean will be the guys. And if one of them plays cash you have Schulte, Bracy and Castro still. Like I said, he’s needed more on offense and could make a quicker impact IMO

Reactions: Simbahawk4
We have a five star safety that would like a word. I’d guess Nwankpa and DeJean will be the guys. And if one of them plays cash you have Schulte, Bracy and Castro still. Like I said, he’s needed more on offense and could make a quicker impact IMO
Coop will play CASH
X will be the FS

If you give Koen just a year to learn the playbook defensively, he will be playing by his RS FR season, at the latest his sophomore year.

He was our 4th leading receiver, with 1-3 coming back.
Yah, but the thing about that is this: Jones couldn't throw the ball to himself, so he's headed somewhere that has a QB who will get him the ball. Have you ever thought about how damn frustrating it is for a WR to run a great route, get open, and have the QB either not throw to him or throw the ball 10 yards in front of or behind him, time after time?

And when you are the best return man in the entire BIG--better than the guys at Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin, Michigan State, and everywhere else--then you're pretty damn good. Charlie Jones was pretty damn good. We'll see if Iowa is plug-n-play with returners. It hasn't been for 23 years, but maybe this is the year. And then that 123rd-ranked offense is still ready to rock too. LOL

Yah, but the thing about that is this: Jones couldn't throw the ball to himself, so he's headed somewhere that has a QB who will get him the ball. Have you ever thought about how damn frustrating it is for a WR to run a great route, get open, and have the QB either not throw to him or throw the ball 10 yards in front of or behind him, time after time?

And when you are the best return man in the entire BIG--better than the guys at Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin, Michigan State, and everywhere else--then you're pretty damn good. Charlie Jones was pretty damn good. We'll see if Iowa is plug-n-play with returners. It hasn't been for 23 years, but maybe this is the year. And then that 123rd-ranked offense is still ready to rock too. LOL
IF he was so damn frustrated why did hue wait til now to enter portal?? Or why even return for extra year. He could have decided to go elsewhere much earlier than he did

have no idea where he s going or why. He will be a former Hawkeye and I will be supporti g the Hawks.

Reactions: desihawk
IF he was so damn frustrated why did hue wait til now to enter portal?? Or why even return for extra year. He could have decided to go elsewhere much earlier than he did

have no idea where he s going or why. He will be a former Hawkeye and I will be supporti g the Hawks.
Maybe he bought into the probable bs that things are gonna change or improve and realized it's not likely??

Reactions: vamchawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT