ADVERTISEMENT

Some real benefits to this game

perryhawk

HR Legend
Apr 3, 2008
Perry, Iowa
No doubt it was a snoozer to watch, but couldn't be much better timing:

1) Play without Garza so he can get some serious healing time to his ankle.
2) Get Connor some recovery time for the concussion.
3) Let JBO find his shot.
4) Joe W. getting his groove on..really developing confidence in the outside shot.
5) Moss continues to improve and show his overall game even if this wasn't a big scoring game.
6) Resting Cook at a good time since he has been playing A LOT of minutes.
7) Getting Ryan K some more PT even though he has been struggling.
8) Same for Maishe....needs floor time and got some in this game...in a slump and needs this.
9) Getting Nick the reward of a start.
10) Getting Till some significant time in case we need him later.
11) And this might be the biggest one...rewarding those guys that work their butts off in practice every day just hoping for a chance to see the floor.
12) 10-2.......one step closer to an undefeated noncon.

*Hopefully Bryant provides some more competition to sharpen the game prior to the B10...but a good win and a positive team send off into a little Xmas time off.

Big 10 network coverage of the highlights of this game were terrible. Compared to the other games that they showed highlights of at half time of the Michigan game, it was ridiculous.

I like getting to see them play with a "smaller" lineup. Could help when we play a team that goes with four guards.

I am worried as well....kids got talent, seems like a good teammate, and a great young man. He just can’t seem to develop the confidence and aggression to take advantage of his talent. I hope he turns around soon.
Seems to date back to the Dolphin comments. Thought he started the season off strong, having your own pbp guy make those comments can’t help confidence.

Seems to date back to the Dolphin comments. Thought he started the season off strong, having your own pbp guy make those comments can’t help confidence.

I agree totally! I’m hoping the right person or comment will help Maishe get back on track!

Maishe wasn't playing well. And making some mistakes that he should not have made. Like dribbling with his head down into a double team. He should know NOT to do that... Dolph was only stating the obvious.

The little things, the small details Maishe needs to work on. But those little things add up. I wish Dailey was only a sophmore. As I think he has talent, and will only get better as the years go by. MD is one that I think really could have benefitted from a redshirt year...get used to the speed of the college game, build some muscle and start your career with more confidence... I guarantee you it helped CMac!

I am still hopeful for Dailey. Unlike Uhl, he has the talent, and a much bigger skillset. He just needs to put it together. Hopefully it will be before his senior year!

Reactions: Ihawkhoops
Just imagine the thrill for the walk-on guys like Till, Ash, etc., who pay their own way to school, work their tails off, and get to play that long (15-20 minutes in some cases) in a TV game!). Maybe biggest sports thrill of their lives. And we may need them. We were down Nunge, Fredricks, Pemsl, Garza and Connor today. Hope we never see a day again when so many Hawkeyes aren't available.

I love Dailey’s game but he is obviously struggling shooting. He is long and has great handles and needs to learn to use his length when driving. I’m reminded of Kevin Gamble as a junior. Give him time.

Reactions: hawkeyeguy69
Exactly what talent do you see in him?

Athletic
Long
6’ 7”
Good lateral quickness
Handles the ball pretty well for his size
Has a decent shot
Can guard 2G and SF position-versatile

Really, I think the only things he’s lacking are confidence and the subsequent aggressiveness that comes with playing confidently.

With those assets on board I think he would consistently play at a pretty high level.

Athletic
Long
6’ 7”
Good lateral quickness
Handles the ball pretty well for his size
Has a decent shot
Can guard 2G and SF position-versatile

Really, I think the only things he’s lacking are confidence and the subsequent aggressiveness that comes with playing confidently.

With those assets on board I think he would consistently play at a pretty high level.
He and Joe have 6'11 wingspans.

Reactions: perryhawk
I always find it interesting when someone with some decent talent struggles and people immediately say they aren't a B1G (or even D1) level player. Have you seen the bench players (not walk ons, the scholarship guys) on P5 teams not named Duke, Kentucky, Kansas?

Dailey is a perfectly acceptable bench player at the B1G level. Will he ever be a starter of star? Probably not, but he's fine as a bench player.

Great handles?? Are we watching the same player?
Name another 6’8” in the Big with better handles? He is playing point guard where he draws the best on ball defender. If he weren’t asked to be the primary ball handler he’d be in a more comfortable role.

Reactions: perryhawk
I can agree with this and I didn’t say he was. I just feel he has struggled more since the Dolph ordeal!! I’m still hoping he gets better as the year goes on.
This is how I see Fran and Gary Barta have set up the season for another big ten conference collapse..... everything was fine until Dolph made a factual statement on the team and the season collapsed. Fire Dolph and let Fran keep getting more time.

Time for this team to step up. I’m tired of the excuses.

Reactions: LudwigOreilly
Name another 6’8” in the Big with better handles? He is playing point guard where he draws the best on ball defender. If he weren’t asked to be the primary ball handler he’d be in a more comfortable role.
6'8?? Are we watching the same player? And no coach with any friggin brains would play their best defender on dailey. Its not necessary because he is not good. FFS, you're not bright

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT