ADVERTISEMENT

Spencer Lee wrestling.

This is what I believe happened. Lee is not yet 100%. If he wrestles and loses, no matter what happens at the Big Ten's he will not get the top seed as he will have lost 2 out of 3 matches. If he wins, it will all come down to the Big Ten's on who gets the #1. So, get healthy, win the Big Ten title, and you get the #1 seed. It was the correct tactic from a coach looking at the end result. I was at the meet and was obviously disappointed. However, I also believe it was in Lee's best interest to do what was done.

Actually there have been many times that a guy lost 2 and only won in the conference final and got seeded over that guy. It does not seem to make sense but they put a lot of weight into winning the conf. and the old what have you done lately thing.

Reactions: slicone
Sorry if it’s already been stated, but I think this was a mistake for Brands. The match at midlands was clearly a win with strategy. Had that match been won on a strange call, or fluke takedown, then by all means sit until your healthy. However, there was nothing to lose and an opportunity to employ your own strategy. He was beat on his feet. If the stamina isn’t there and he fades late, big deal. Give lee an opportunity in the first period to make adjustments from the previous match. I do believe he wins in March, but it would suck to see him lose by being unprepared.

You ever been healthy one day and sick the next?
but that is not what is being said on this board--its all talk about Mono like illness- smells fishy to me Friday had a low level kid and he wrestled--but couldn't go Sunday with a tougher kid--dont act like Spencer just came down with the flu Saturday morning.

What happened to smash mouth tough Iowa wrestling---Brands is only hurting Iowa and future recruits. Whats the excuse for 157

Reactions: redbirdhawk
Hurting Iowa and future recruits? You're full of it and I would bet big money on it with you, but you would disappear when YOU lose.

Sorry if it’s already been stated, but I think this was a mistake for Brands. The match at midlands was clearly a win with strategy. Had that match been won on a strange call, or fluke takedown, then by all means sit until your healthy. However, there was nothing to lose and an opportunity to employ your own strategy. He was beat on his feet. If the stamina isn’t there and he fades late, big deal. Give lee an opportunity in the first period to make adjustments from the previous match. I do believe he wins in March, but it would suck to see him lose by being unprepared.

Thanks for your PSU fan perspective and for sharing your opinion. Great contribution.

but that is not what is being said on this board--its all talk about Mono like illness- smells fishy to me Friday had a low level kid and he wrestled--but couldn't go Sunday with a tougher kid--dont act like Spencer just came down with the flu Saturday morning.

What happened to smash mouth tough Iowa wrestling---Brands is only hurting Iowa and future recruits. Whats the excuse for 157
You didn't answer my question.

It is not that Spencer "won't" or "didn't want to", it's that he CAN'T right now. The matches against "lesser" competition are to get some mat time in. He is unable to go full on right now in the manner needed to take on tier one guys. We should see the real Spencer come March.

Exactly, but this concept is impossible for many to understand sadly.

Reactions: usarmyret2011
Thanks for your PSU fan perspective and for sharing your opinion. Great contribution.
PSU fan. What about that is PSU? Didn’t realize there was a vetting process to discuss wrestling. Is there a secret handshake or a background check? I’m a wrestling fan and have followed this board to get some insight on the kids I watched for years. I guess posting is not acceptable.

PSU fan. What about that is PSU? Didn’t realize there was a vetting process to discuss wrestling. Is there a secret handshake or a background check? I’m a wrestling fan and have followed this board to get some insight on the kids I watched for years. I guess posting is not acceptable.

This board has seen a huge influx of trolls in the past few months, many of them clearly PSU fans or with PSU related usernames. You screen name and post (first thing you post here is a criticism of Brands) fit that bill. These trolls don't reflect well on your fanbase and it's sometimes difficult to filter out the trolls from the regular fans.

You are clueless. Facts much more solid than you spouting off have been presented in regards to this situation.

This board has seen a huge influx of trolls in the past few months, many of them clearly PSU fans or with PSU related usernames. You screen name and post (first thing you post here is a criticism of Brands) fit that bill. These trolls don't reflect well on your fanbase and it's sometimes difficult to filter out the trolls from the regular fans.
Fair enough. To clarify, I do have a bias towards PA wrestlers. I made that post because I thought Lee and Rivera had some similarities to Micic and Desanto last year. Micic made the adjustments to the heavy tie and was successful in the rematch. Just thought it was a perfect opportunity to see what adjustments were made in this rematch. I get that the coaching staff has a difficult time in having wrestlers peak at the right time, especially throwing in injuries/illness.

Reactions: anon_0pi0cv8t1ggvb

Wrong. An opponent’s strategy means little when Spencer is at 100%. And SL has been nowhere near 100% this entire season. Deal with it. We have...

Yes, if only there were another opportunity for Lee to wrestle Rivera prior to NCAAs while he could be healthier and work on a new match strategy ..... oh wait...

Really? Must not have been a wrestler? Your deductive reasoning skills seem to be in the crapper tonight.

Your logic here isn't a one-way street like you've presented it. According to you, the more times Lee wrestles Rivera, the harder it becomes for Lee to beat Rivera. But wait. The more times Rivera wrestles Lee, the harder it becomes for Rivera to beat Lee.

Which one has the hardest time winning each time he wrestles the other guy?

The one who has the most to game will want exposure, the one who has the most to lose will want to keep the exposure to a minimum. I assume Spencer believes it is at his disadvantage to give Rivera more experience with his tilts, hand strength and other intangibles and Lee knows he just needs to improve his head hands defense.

I’m glad I decided to put the Michigan State/Maryland match on at 1:00. I dozed off and didn’t wake up until 2:15.

First it's been well reported on many threads in this forum that Mark Ironside stated Spencer has had a mono like virus and has not been well. Jot it dont and save your fake outrage for another forum.
If you are mad at not seeing two matches save your fake outrage, there are 8 other matches and each is equally important to the team race.
Some people on this board... not yourself.... they will be 1 and 2 in Big Tens and 1-2 at Nationals. While I can understand WHY people would be upset of not seeing the match up, they certainly have to UNDERSTAND the thought process behind it. Get Spencer 100%, clobber Riv at Big Tens and destroy him at Nationals.

Last edited:
Any of you that didn't see this coming after Friday night are pretty naive. The two surprises for me were not seeing Bowman (I figured they were saving him one weigh-in) which makes me wonder why, and that Stoll DID wrestle, which I found encouraging. I just hope the ten best guys we have left are as healthy as they can be when March rolls around on the old calendar. I don't care what it takes to get them there that way.
Bowman is probably still banged up. He had a wrapped leg in the Rutgers dual.

I have been around Iowa wrestling for over thirty years and in my opinion Spencer Lee is the most dominant wrestler I have ever seen and to hear all you "concerned" fans think he is 100% is pathetic! No offense to Rivera but he is no match for a healthy Spencer Lee!! Thanks for your concern though.

The one who has the most to game will want exposure, the one who has the most to lose will want to keep the exposure to a minimum. I assume Spencer believes it is at his disadvantage to give Rivera more experience with his tilts, hand strength and other intangibles and Lee knows he just needs to improve his head hands defense.

I disagree.

I think the team thinks it’s disadvantageous to have SL wrestle Rivera when he’s at far less than full strength and conditioning.

With both wrestlers healthy and in shape, the match isn’t really close, imo. SL is the better wrestler.

Reactions: TNTwrestle
Fair enough. To clarify, I do have a bias towards PA wrestlers. I made that post because I thought Lee and Rivera had some similarities to Micic and Desanto last year. Micic made the adjustments to the heavy tie and was successful in the rematch. Just thought it was a perfect opportunity to see what adjustments were made in this rematch. I get that the coaching staff has a difficult time in having wrestlers peak at the right time, especially throwing in injuries/illness.
This was a much better post in my opinion. I have to add, though, that Micic was injured the first time he wrestled AD and had it not been for that, I think Stevan wins the match despite not having familiarity. Micic is very, very good. Not discrediting desanto because I too am a PA boy but the fact remains. I think Lee has something special built up for Rivera. I just wish they only had to wrestle one more time this year and I could bet the house on Lee in a rematch at NCAA’s. Let’s not forget about Picc or Bresser who I believe only lost 6-4 to Rivera this year? I could actually see an upset of Mr Rivera happening before the matchup to derail my bet...time will tell. 125 isn’t the soft spot most thought it would be behind Spencer. Throw in Glory, moisey and foley with a few others and all of a sudden it’s a decent weights class to watch.

If Lee wasn’t going to go, wouldn’t it be a solid to announce it? Maybe Rivera then doesn’t have to make weight. Maybe some kids who are Spencer Lee fans went just because of that match. Seems like a decent thing to do.

Wrong. An opponent’s strategy means little when Spencer is at 100%. And SL has been nowhere near 100% this entire season. Deal with it. We have...
If Spencer hadn’t been 100% this whole season what makes you think he’ll be 100% by March? Wouldn’t it be better to wrestle and learn to “deal with it” and wrestle tough competition rather than showing up at Big 10s and Nationals hoping he’ll be able to do it?

If Spencer hadn’t been 100% this whole season what makes you think he’ll be 100% by March? Wouldn’t it be better to wrestle and learn to “deal with it” and wrestle tough competition rather than showing up at Big 10s and Nationals hoping he’ll be able to do it?
Maybe they don’t know how close he’ll be in March...glass-half-full you know...

Give that advice to Tom. Let me know what his response to you is.

Reactions: oldhawk56
Art - sorry for the tone. I just hate people spreading rumors but get how message boards work. And I agree with you wish coaches would talk about it. Ironside pretty much said what needs to be said. But need to protect some privacy concerns. People that think loss of mojo obviously haven’t watched him. Any objective wrestling fan can see his explosion the first period or 2. And sorry to those anti-Lee or Hawks fans when 100 percent healthy he does not gas or lose mojo. So use common sense. Assuming things are what I know he will be just fine as we head towards March. And I know Lee can’t wait to see Rivera.
No need to apologize for your tone. Some of these trolls need to be lit up. I felt like saying Amen!

If only he had a chance to roll with really good wrestlers every day to see how he's progressing...

Not to mention Young sat out after wrestling Friday simply to avoid another loss. You guys can rationalize all you want but when you cherry pick the schedule and only have your guys wrestle those they can beat, that's ducking, period. end of discussion. Brands has now done this with multiple wrestlers, multiple times. It's becoming systematic and no, other coaches are not doing this to anywhere near the degree Iowa is.

As far as Lee's health, I'm sure the only way many of you will say he is back to 100% is IF he beat Rivera and wins an NCAA Championship. It's obvious there is no way you will admit this prior to the matchup and risk a loss with no excuse. Heck, he just destroyed the #12 wrestler in the country, yet he incapable of going on Sunday against Rivera, please!

Reactions: Ski and danoftw
Actually there have been many times that a guy lost 2 and only won in the conference final and got seeded over that guy. It does not seem to make sense but they put a lot of weight into winning the conf. and the old what have you done lately thing.
Spencer wasn't the top seed
Not to mention Young sat out after wrestling Friday simply to avoid another loss. You guys can rationalize all you want but when you cherry pick the schedule and only have your guys wrestle those they can beat, that's ducking, period. end of discussion. Brands has now done this with multiple wrestlers, multiple times. It's becoming systematic and no, other coaches are not doing this to anywhere near the degree Iowa is.

As far as Lee's health, I'm sure the only way many of you will say he is back to 100% is IF he beat Rivera and wins an NCAA Championship. It's obvious there is no way you will admit this prior to the matchup and risk a loss with no excuse. Heck, he just destroyed the #12 wrestler in the country, yet he incapable of going on Sunday against Rivera, please!
I don't think Young sat to avoid a loss. I honestly think they were giving Glosser a look, because Glosser had beaten the wrestler twice this year that Kaleb had just lost to. As far as Lee, I am certain that a wrestler that won the NCAA title and has also won 3 age group world titles etc., is not ducking anyone. Like I said in another post, who knows what was going on and why. It is certain that Lee is showing progress and looked better than a week ago, so whatever he's been battling is apparently being put behind him. I thought he looked much better, but maybe whatever he was nursing was tweaked on Friday. Who knows. You have a World Champ an Olympic Gold medalist and two guys with 5 NCAA titles between them in his corner making those decisions. They are not worried about pleasing you or the media. Look at Stoll, he is coming on strong and looked great as well, so whatever their plan has been, although highly criticized, is working. Sit back, watch and cheer us on as we make a post season run. I know you must be a big Hawkeye fan.

He literally just chose (well, sounds like Tom did the coosing) to not wrestle the one guy ranked ahead of him who also has a win over him. If it walks, talks and acts like a duck and all that...

I don't think Young sat to avoid a loss. I honestly think they were giving Glosser a look, because Glosser had beaten the wrestler twice this year that Kaleb had just lost to. As far as Lee, I am certain that a wrestler that won the NCAA title and has also won 3 age group world titles etc., is not ducking anyone. Like I said in another post, who knows what was going on and why. It is certain that Lee is showing progress and looked better than a week ago, so whatever he's been battling is apparently being put behind him. I thought he looked much better, but maybe whatever he was nursing was tweaked on Friday. Who knows. You have a World Champ an Olympic Gold medalist and two guys with 5 NCAA titles between them in his corner making those decisions. They are not worried about pleasing you or the media. Look at Stoll, he is coming on strong and looked great as well, so whatever their plan has been, although highly criticized, is working. Sit back, watch and cheer us on as we make a post season run. I know you must be a big Hawkeye fan.
You really think the coaching staff was giving Glosser a look to see if he should be the starter? Young is ranked 5th in the country. There is no way Brands is going to bench him in favor of Glosser. Stoll coming on strong? Being from Minnesota I hope he can have a great tournament and finish high on the podium but he hasn't wrestled anyone so of course he's going to look alright. You are reaching a bit on these.

Let me be clear, given the opportunity, I'm sure Spencer Lee would of gladly wrestled on Sunday.

As frustrating as Spencer’s health problem is for fans to witness, it might be maddening for him. I mean, what the hell is this illness and when is it going away?

Reactions: 24 so far
I don’t think I have even seen more idiocy in a thread than this. Well except any thread on CF that PsychoTwins is involved in. So Buff please post this over there and stop the idiot trolls. Lee is not close to 100 percent. I won’t go into details but he is attempting to get back to the right shape after spending considerable time off the mat. Clearly many people posting here and on CF have never sniffed a mat. You train and wrestle into shape. Lee needs to get his strength back so multiple weigh ins while in recovery drains him. This is not complicated. He will already see him at the Big 10’s and NCAA. My God people. For those that ever wrestled at a high level, there is one thing to be dinged but another to have been completely off the mat without training and without appetite for a period of time.

Neither Lee nor Tom would ever duck anybody. Just stupid. But you don’t run Lee out there drained after night Friday match and turnnaround weigh in when you are trying to get him healthy. Lee should not have gone at the Midlands but did. Hey PsychoTwins does that make Midpands Iowa’s Super Bowl for wrestling you idiot?! People need to stop spreading rumors especially when they are clueless not only about the facts but about the sport. March is the goal. And we are training through the duals. Lee needs to get healthy while slowly progressing. He lost a lot of strength and energy and anybody that has not seen it is stupid or a biased moron. It takes time to get it back especially what he had, and late Friday and early Sunday weigh ins zaps you which is not what Lee needs right now. Love non wrestling idiots clueless as to the sport and the facts spouting off. That is everybody but Buff and crablegs on CF and some people here. Rant over.

ATTENTION IDIOTS: Read carefully this post. If you don’t understand it, read it again. If you still don’t understand it, have your fifth grade daughter explain it to you.

As frustrating as Spencer’s health problem is for fans to witness, it might be maddening for him. I mean, what the hell is this illness and when is it going away?

Absolutely, this has to be awful for him. He's trained his whole life to be a 4x NCAA champ and Olympic gold medalist. To have a random illness (assuming that's what's happening) put those goals in jeopardy has to be horrible. Not to mention seeing his name dragged through the mud. I was browsing through YouTube looking for videos last night, and the stuff that is suddenly out there about him is horrifying.

My biggest pain in this isn't for myself as a fan, but for the kid who's going through it.

Exactly. I understand not being healthy. So why not just sit him until he's healthy? The goal is to be right for March, so be right for March.

Maybe if they do what you suggest instead of managing his recovery the additional stress of making weight prolongs his peak which everybody wants to see in March.

You really think the coaching staff was giving Glosser a look to see if he should be the starter? Young is ranked 5th in the country. There is no way Brands is going to bench him in favor of Glosser. Stoll coming on strong? Being from Minnesota I hope he can have a great tournament and finish high on the podium but he hasn't wrestled anyone so of course he's going to look alright. You are reaching a bit on these.

Were you at wrestle-offs? Young won in an OT scramble. Glosser isn't a slouch and is maybe a half-step behind Young. If Glosser was the guy this year, I would bet he'd be top 10, so don't act like Young was benched for a room guy that will never see the mat except at Loras or Dubuque opens.

Were you at wrestle-offs? Young won in an OT scramble. Glosser isn't a slouch and is maybe a half-step behind Young. If Glosser was the guy this year, I would bet he'd be top 10, so don't act like Young was benched for a room guy that will never see the mat except at Loras or Dubuque opens.

This. And Glosser was about to score a TD to bring the score within 1 pt with about a minute left until that ref bailed out Deakin with that PD call.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT