ADVERTISEMENT

Spring game tidbits

Since it was only one practice we don’t know if he has made any improvement. Actually we won’t really know for sure until the conference games. Plus, he was going up against the first string defense.
Who cares what defense he played??? An easy throw is an easy throw!!

After 4 years, don't expect any real improvement...

• Haha
Reactions: BBHawk
Who cares what defense he played??? An easy throw is an easy throw!!

After 4 years, don't expect any real improvement...
I stated a few days ago that I did not expect any significant improvement. But that doesn’t mean it can’t/won’t happen.

That being said…..I will keep an open mind, and if improvement is shown I will be more than happy to admit being wrong! Truth be told, I hope I *am* wrong! I WANT Petras to succeed! If he does well, the Hawks will do well. Every Iowa fan should be rooting for him.

Last edited:
If Petras starts I will be doing alot of Yard work on Saturdays and just checking the box after Games because sharpening the mower blade is less frustrating than watching Him get dumbstruck in the pocket or knocking beers out of Fans hands in the 20th row on 4th down. I would rather see growing pains from a Player with upside than watch that episode of the Munsters again .

I stated a few days ago that I did not expect any significant improvement.

That being said…..I will keep an open mind, and if improvement is shown I will be more than happy to admit being wrong! Truth be told, I hope I *am* wrong! I WANT Petras to succeed! If he does well, the Hawks will do well. Every Iowa fan should be rooting for him.
I hope you're wrong too. I just think he'll play regardless and I hope I'm wrong about that :)

Reactions: 83Hawk
If Petras starts I will be doing alot of Yard work on Saturdays and just checking the box after Games because sharpening the mower blade is less frustrating than watching Him get dumbstruck in the pocket or knocking beers out of Fans hands in the 20th row on 4th down. I would rather see growing pains from a Player with upside than watch that episode of the Munsters again .

LOL…. It’s funny many of us feel the same way about reading a message board with people like you on it.

I just want them to have some authentic consistency and since I’ve clearly watched quite a bit more football than you…I know it can come from literally anybody if the light goes on!

Spencer Petras won’t be the first 4 or 5 year player that “it” goes on for and he definitely won’t be the last…

But hey, undoubtedly that yard work needs done!

Since it was only one practice we don’t know if he has made any improvement. Actually we won’t really know for sure until the conference games. Plus, he was going up against the first string defense.

I'm all for chances but SP has used them all up as far as I'm concerned, more than actually. Time to move on from him. Sorry if the truth hurts some "feelings" but enough is enough

I'm all for chances but SP has used them all up as far as I'm concerned, more than actually. Time to move on from him. Sorry if the truth hurts some "feelings" but enough is enough

Im only for winning and since it appears Labas has passed Padilla but not Petras then we may have a problem based on your reasoning..

I have some observations.

10. In the segments before the scrimmage, I was just watching the QBs warmup their arms and then throw route trees with the WRs. Petras had the strongest and most accurate arm by a good margin. I think Labas is next and I think there's a lot of separation between Labas and Padilla, too.

One person on this thread said Petras made some good throws against the defenses in the scrimmage and that he looked better moving around the pocket. And if the above is true and he is just throwing it better with more zip and accuracy then he will #1 in August.

Then the big question is if after August he can up his game 10%.

And perhaps Labas if he is indeed working to be #2 will be putting pressure on Petras.

May the best and most competent QB run the show and we know Kirk considers taking care of the ball a high metric as far a competent qb play

Im only for winning and since it appears Labas has passed Padilla but not Petras then we may have a problem based on your reasoning..
From what I was told Padilla and Labas both better then SP, but SP is a pet and he will start no matter what unless hurt!

Reactions: IAHUNTER
I stated a few days ago that I did not expect any significant improvement. But that doesn’t mean it can’t/won’t happen.

+1

I hope to God I’m wrong about Petras. Will gladly eat crow.

from an observer…..”Petras had the strongest and most accurate arm by a good margin. I think Labas is next and I think there's a lot of separation between Labas and Padilla, too.”
During drills (no defense or pass defenders), Petras looked clearly better - stronger arm and more accurate than the other two. Labas and Padilla looked pretty close to each other to me - if anything, I thought Padilla looked slightly better during drills.

During scrimmage against a defense, Spencer looked the worst (but was going against the 1s and 2s). One really good pass to LaPorta in the middle, otherwise struggled to throw a good pass against receivers that were pretty well covered.

Labas looked good in the scrimmage. Was able to scramble to buy some time and hit some open receivers against the 3rd stringers.
I thought Padilla also looked good. Similar to minimally worse than Labas.
Padilla was the second stringer, but Labas got a lot more time to play during the scrimmage. Not sure what to take out of that.
Of course, I am sure Labas and Padilla would not have looked nearly as good against the 1s with more pressure and covered receivers.

Unfortunately, apples and oranges comparison.

That picture of Luka Van Ness, #91), looks like he is built like a brick Sh#t house. He played well in a backup role last year. He might do damage to some opposing QBs this fall.

last three years completion percent/qb-rating for
joe burrow: 63%/110, 58%/133, 76%/202
sp petras: 57%/119, 57%/117, ??%/???
my projections
??=65%
???=150

He’s been given every opportunity you could possibly give the kid including a starting job for 2 years. If he’s not a considerable distance in front of the other 2 QBs then they need to start investing into the future.
I didn't attend the practice but everything i'm seeing on social media consists of Petras overthrowing his WRs.

Gotta have patience.........

from an observer…..”Petras had the strongest and most accurate arm by a good margin. I think Labas is next and I think there's a lot of separation between Labas and Padilla, too.”

We are f***** then. Sp is NOT accurate, are you blind?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT