ADVERTISEMENT

Stanley

Nobody taking anything away from Wadley. He's sensational on and off the field. But Stanley hitting him in perfect stride allowed Akrum that initial move. Those short passes hitting backs in stride should not be taken for granted. Plus, Stanley so far has done that several times. I hope it's not a mirage, because if it is not we may have something special imho.

LMAO, how did he almost cost us the game with his overthrows? There was only two series where Stanley had overthrows that didn't result in a td. One of them was our first deep ball to Fant in the 2nd qrt and the second was the one where Fant could have laid out and made a play on it.

Laugh all you want but missing those "3" long balls that very well could have been tds keep the game closer than it otherwise would have been. I have faith he will start hitting them and make us forget all about the 3 misses against isu. He may end up be a very very good qb.

My eval says the stats are great, but the fumbles are not. He still looks a little robotic dropping back, to me. The results can't be disputed.

He won his opener. He won his first road game in a hostile environ.

I wouldn't bet the house on him, yet, but there are some things he's doing really well.
Its not just that he won, but he had a vital role, with several key passes late in the game and OT. He could very easily have gone in the tank when we went down 31-21, but he stayed in control and made plays. I'm really suprised by the complaints. I mean, just how good did you expect him to be after a few quarters of play???????

Its not just that he won, but he had a vital role, with several key passes late in the game and OT. He could very easily have gone in the tank when we went down 31-21, but he stayed in control and made plays. I'm really suprised by the complaints. I mean, just how good did you expect him to be after a few quarters of play???????
Most of the complaints came when we were down 10. Go figure.

Well you know we have a long history of 300+ yard, 5 TD passing games under KF... so apparently that's not a big deal to some.

Reactions: atkins 23
I'm impressed so far for sure. Very promising start.

However, let's let him face a legitimate defense before we get too super excited. No offense to Wyoming... yes offense to ISU. :)

I'm not saying nate did something wrong on the play, just that akrum was the one making people miss and picking up most the yards.
I'd love to rewatch it, but its not on BTN2Go! (&(#&@(%&#@(&(*

The complete game is on YouTube. Most devices and some cable companies (including Mediacom) have YouTube apps, so you can stream it to your TV.

Last edited:
Reactions: H4wkfan4life
The complete game is on YouTube. Most devices and some cable companies (including Mediacom) have YouTube apps, so you can stream it to your TV.
i have it on my tv and my roku, i'll have to see if the quality is decent ty

Omg. He had nice stats yesterday and almost cost us the game with his repeated overthrowing receivers. He'll be a decent QB, but let's not get delusional.
I thought he did great considering it was only his second start plus on the road in a very high pressure situation.

I'm impressed so far for sure. Very promising start.

However, let's let him face a legitimate defense before we get too super excited. No offense to Wyoming... yes offense to ISU. :)
I'm not saying we should anoint him as a star at this point. Just looking at what he's done to this point, with his limited time on the field against our first two opponents. I mean after the first quarter of game one, could we have expected him to play any better? Yes, he missed a few bombs, but he stayed to the plan, and brought it home. Yes, were going to find out a lot more about Mr. Stanley in the next two weeks. Looking forward to it!

I'm not saying we should anoint him as a star at this point. Just looking at what he's done to this point, with his limited time on the field against our first two opponents. I mean after the first quarter of game one, could we have expected him to play any better? Yes, he missed a few bombs, but he stayed to the plan, and brought it home. Yes, were going to find out a lot more about Mr. Stanley in the next two weeks. Looking forward to it!
Absolutely. He certainly has some tools to work with and I'm optimistic. ISU basically got ZERO pressure on him though. That will change against better defenses. If he can deliver in the face of a legitimate pass rush, he could be special. Plus he's only a sophomore.

You gain something even by missing when you throw deep, especially the way ISU and everyone else always loads thebox against us.

Even with an incomplete its going to force the D to keep their guys a little further back, which helps open up the running lanes. And for an inexperienced QB, I'll the overthrows deep over the underthrows anyday, and so will his coaches.

Go back and watch what NS does before the throw. He looks downfield until the last second before he hits Wadley, in stride. His teammates were a great help but there were some things he did thanks to his coach. KOK is going to make thus kid our first coveted NFL QB since Long, and he will be much better than Chuck.

Nate Stanley is going to be MUCH better than Chuck Long? I hope you're right but Chuck Long is easily arguably the best Iowa QB ever. So Stanley then is going to be BY FAR our best QB ever?

Count me in as one that is excited about Stanely. I have seen preseason excitement turned bad (Jake Christiansen). When I heard how much difficulty the staff was having choosing a number one, I thought it just meant neither player was separating himself (they both had issues). After the first two games we saw some jitters against Wyoming, followed by putting his team on his back for a second half comeback victory in a hostile environment.

Nate Stanley is going to be MUCH better than Chuck Long? I hope you're right but Chuck Long is easily arguably the best Iowa QB ever. So Stanley then is going to be BY FAR our best QB ever?
I'd certainly be happy to have Stanley take Iowa to the heights that Long did as a senior. Long was a very accurate passer, because he knew when to throw the ball on time. He did not have the arm that Stanley has, and was probably not nearly as athletic either. Stanley is already bigger then Long as a senior, due to way better training and nutrition then athletes in the 1980's,and possibly genetics as well. In all fairness, you could say that Long was the most accomplished QB at Iowa, something helped greatly by being a starter for 3 1/2 years. Guys like Banks and Hartlieb might be in that conversation as well, had they been multiple year starters.

Reactions: HawkeyeHoltkamp
Wow. I have no clue where Stanley finishes in all time rankings. But my God, in his last 7 quarters of football he has what 8 TD's and no TO's? He overthrew a couple people in his first road game and yet was QB to a team down 10 in the 4th quarter and we won on his pass in OT?! I have no clue what people are talking about. Yeah, couple fumbles when his line didn't help much in the 1st quarter of his first game. And overthrew a couple wr's. I swear some of u are Clown trolls.

Reactions: ichawk24
I am just so damn happy we are actually throwing it deep down field

Same. It changes the complexion of the game especially for teams (which is basically everyone) stacking the box against Iowa. These plays remind me of classic KOK circa 2002.

Omg. He had nice stats yesterday and almost cost us the game with his repeated overthrowing receivers. He'll be a decent QB, but let's not get delusional.
Almost cost us the game.....? 5 tds no picks....I repeat....NO PICKS.....true Soph...second start...first on the road....you my friend, are delusional.

It's not delusional to think that Nate's performance augers a great career. That ISU game was beautiful. No QBs, even Chuck Long, hit every throw.

Reactions: ichawk24
Nate Stanley
51/83 655 YDS
10TD 1 INT
Team is 3-0
Still can't hit the deep ball

giphy.gif

Last edited:
I'm not saying nate did something wrong on the play, just that akrum was the one making people miss and picking up most the yards.
I'd love to rewatch it, but its not on BTN2Go! (&(#&@(%&#@(&(*
Did you check to see if the replay is available on ESPN 3?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT