ADVERTISEMENT

Starocci Offered $1.25 Million to Wrestle for PSU Next Year

Mar 24, 2016
That's what Chael Sonnen claimed today. $400k and just to compete in the NCAA post season in 2025.

Edit: Mineo is claiming $1.25M. Trolling?

Last edited:
Reactions: el dub
That would be about what I'd expect for a guy of his stature. He'd be an idiot to wrestle anywhere else.

Remember when a bunch of folks thought NIL was a good idea? 🤦🏻‍♂️

Just a few years ago the concern was that guys were bypassing scholarship limits by making extra $ through "camps". But likely only mid 5 figures. Now guys are getting 7 figure NIL payments over the course of their college career.

I’ve heard of one deal from a pretty reliable fellow of 400k per year for three years. I’m guessing he’s correct.

It makes no sense. They don’t need him to win nationals next year. But whatever the more money they throw away the better 🤷
What makes sense is Carter making money. He’ll probably say yes. Need to win? Think of it as insurance and it makes sense.

And ego? If you were a big booster with money to throw around wouldn’t you like to have your team have the only five timer?

Chael also once claimed the Nogueira Brothers were feeding carrots to a bus. Sometimes I think all those beatings he took growing up on the mean streets of West Linn Oregon has distorted reality..

What do you think the number on AJ was, or will be? Decent chance Carter will be at 197 to compare investment returns.

Although Carter isn't needed, they want to redshirt Marisola at 197, so that creates only a slight gap as Cockran is more than serviceable, a NQ for sure maybe he could eek out an AA. 174 or 184 are no gos IMO as that would mean either Facundo or Barr burn a year for nothing - it's their time. Losing either to the Portal if one had to sit another year is terrible trade, again IMO.

So if it happens, look for Carter up 2 weight classes at 197, which should prove interesting, and the weight clears out as well. Otherwise I would rather see him move on to his next big thing.

Why/who folks out there are throwing big money at kids for just 1 year, I stand somewhat perplexed, but the whole NIL thing for wrestling has me a bit baffled. Football and Basketball, maybe, but one (I) would think NIL for wrestling should come with quite modest sums of money only.

I am not sure these rumors are true but to be honest, becoming the only 5xer in history is a novelty if it happens, and it certainly will have a Covid asterisk next to it. I really don't think it proves much.

Although Carter isn't needed, they want to redshirt Marisola at 197, so that creates only a slight gap as Cockran is more than serviceable, a NQ for sure maybe he could eek out an AA. 174 or 184 are no gos IMO as that would mean either Facundo or Barr burn a year for nothing - it's their time. Losing either to the Portal if one had to sit another year is terrible trade, again IMO.

So if it happens, look for Carter up 2 weight classes at 197, which should prove interesting, and the weight clears out as well. Otherwise I would rather see him move on to his next big thing.

Why/who folks out there are throwing big money at kids for just 1 year, I stand somewhat perplexed, but the whole NIL thing for wrestling has me a bit baffled. Football and Basketball, maybe, but one (I) would think NIL for wrestling should come with quite modest sums of money only.

I am not sure these rumors are true but to be honest, becoming the only 5xer in history is a novelty if it happens, and it certainly will have a Covid asterisk next to it. I really don't think it proves much.
I think most of these NIL numbers are not true. Where would Carter go in the real world to find $500k if NIL wasn't there? Answer is he has no option to make $500k in the real world. So why would NIL pay him $500k?
Wrestling is not popular enough for such payouts, even for a 4 timer. Olympic champ? Sure, but Carter is only known to fans of the sport. He hasn't expanded beyond the niche sport we are.

I think most of these NIL numbers are not true. Where would Carter go in the real world to find $500k if NIL wasn't there? Answer is he has no option to make $500k in the real world. So why would NIL pay him $500k?
Wrestling is not popular enough for such payouts, even for a 4 timer. Olympic champ? Sure, but Carter is only known to fans of the sport. He hasn't expanded beyond the niche sport we are.
Because rich benefactors make large donations to schools and non-revenue sports all the time. Just to see their team do well.

Reactions: artradley
What makes sense is Carter making money. He’ll probably say yes. Need to win? Think of it as insurance and it makes sense.

And ego? If you were a big booster with money to throw around wouldn’t you like to have your team have the only five timer?
100% it makes sense for Carter to do it if that numbers accurate. He’d be a fool not to.

Insurance…..I suppose you can call it that but half that freaking lineup would need to get hurt for them really to need insurance. Hell their 2nd stringers have proven the they’re more than capable of AA.

Me personally if I ever had that type of money to spend I can think of a lot better things I’d rather spend it on. To each their own though.

It's weird that you think it's shocking that we think it's shocking that a college wrestler is making $400k to compete for half a season.
No, it’s not weird after what I heard recently. If a fellow is getting 400k a year , what would a potential five timer get?

I heard some lady basketball player got some huge nil money in 7 figures. Girl’s basketball? Who watches that?

Enough money to make this money not surprising in women’s basketball or men’s college wrestling.

You mentioned what guys were making at camps? I heard either 2k or 2.5k for about two or so hours a few years ago. Source? The superintendent of the school. The athlete? Not saying.

There’s big money in these sports , bigger than I realized until a little over a month ago .

Reactions: el dub
Perhaps I remain confused on NIL. It's not just a cash payment to wrestle, correct? Is Carter giving rights to someone to make a few $10,000 t-shirts of him, doing a commercial for some rich guy that sells cars, allowing Karl to tattoo his picture on his head, or doing a commercial for Miller Lite to help pay his Budweiser tab?? https://onwardstate.com/2024/04/01/...right-infringement-over-natty-daddy-nickname/

precisely, Trapper. it's a cesspool. it's not real NIL. but no one will police it.
but can CStar return that $500k investment to someone, or this NIL stuff an out and out bag of money like the old days? If a bag of money, let's just call it a bag of money and dispense with the niceties of using NIL to sugarcoat what it really is. This is a general point and not directed at CStar. Good for him I guess but I see real nasty stuff at the end of this road.

remember last summer when i said Iowa offered bernie $250k and you guys on here wanted my head on a stake b/c you said i was just trying to hurt the program with some sort of disinformation campaign?

that was neat.
250k for Bernie is just stupid. I hope it was some booster going to Tom and telling him I’ll give it to him and not Tom going to someone asking for it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT