ADVERTISEMENT

Starocci Offered $1.25 Million to Wrestle for PSU Next Year

HoW MuCh DO You wAnT To bEt oN tHAt
How MUCH you GOT??? uh er, SORRY, how MUCH can YOU steal FROM mommy?
Allow me to play dumb as I honestly don’t know why you have this opinion. What makes you think he won’t?
Well there are several factors, most importantly the fact they he may need to go up a weight.
He has a BIRDBRAIN. Not a lot going on upstairs for that guy.
This^^^^ DUMBASS would have to get smarter to be considered a MORON!!!!

How MUCH you GOT??? uh er, SORRY, how MUCH can YOU steal FROM mommy?

Well there are several factors, most importantly the fact they he may need to go up a weight.

This^^^^ DUMBASS would have to get smarter to be considered a MORON!!!!
Not sure if you’re calling me dumb but I was genuinely curious. He seems to be a really good wrestler.

No, it’s not weird after what I heard recently. If a fellow is getting 400k a year , what would a potential five timer get?

I heard some lady basketball player got some huge nil money in 7 figures. Girl’s basketball? Who watches that?

Enough money to make this money not surprising in women’s basketball or men’s college wrestling.

You mentioned what guys were making at camps? I heard either 2k or 2.5k for about two or so hours a few years ago. Source? The superintendent of the school. The athlete? Not saying.

There’s big money in these sports , bigger than I realized until a little over a month ago .

At least 24 million people watched the women's basketball finals. More people watched the women's game than men's this year. Wrestling isn't close to that. It makes no sense to use women's bb as a comparison to wrestling for NIL.

remember last summer when i said Iowa offered bernie $250k and you guys on here wanted my head on a stake b/c you said i was just trying to hurt the program with some sort of disinformation campaign?

that was neat.

How much did PSU pay him? Knowing that is crucial to the conversation that's been had regarding guys making their choices based on finances or not. I have a very hard time believing he wasn't paid in the same ballpark by PSU.

Say PSU only paid him $100k. Then turning down the $150k difference just to wrestling at PSU over Iowa would quite frankly be insane and irrational. I have an extremely hard time believing any wrestler not from an ultra wealthy family would make that decision.

In fact, if that's what's happening, then I sympathize with Tom for seemingly giving up on trying to compete with PSU in recruiting (compared to the three ring binder era).

250k for Bernie is just stupid. I hope it was some booster going to Tom and telling him I’ll give it to him and not Tom going to someone asking for it.

If Iowa has boosters willing to pay $250k for Bernie, then that makes me wonder how we're having such a hard time landing top 10 p4p guys right now. And Iowa is losing out on recruits to other schools besides PSU who don't have a comparable budget.

I heard from a very good source that the amount of money given to a different NCAA finalist (I won't specify if he won to keep it intentionally vague as I can) at neither Iowa or Penn State that was more than the number quoted here for Starocci. No reason to doubt the source.

Reactions: el dub
A lot of people continue to live with their heads in the sand when it comes to NIL.

I don't think it's heads in the sand, but rather there are a lot of vague things thrown around and a lot of questions unanswered. See my comment above regarding Truax. The claim is that Iowa offered him $250k. How much did he make at PSU? The vague claim is that Iowa offered him more. More could be $1 or could be 6 figures. That detail matters a lot yet hasn't been shared anywhere.

I don't pretend to understand everything about the new NIL world, but I do know that the rules require the athlete to provide something back as consideration for these bags of money. It can't just be pay for coming to a school or for reaching a certain level of achievement in the sport.

Any idea what the heck these wrestlers in particular do in exchange for this money? Someone like Caitlin Clark is obvious, as she has commercials on national TV. But say Woods, Nagao, and Truax as wrestling examples--what the heck are they doing for six figure contracts? I certainly haven't seen anything locally with Woods, and I work in IC and follow wrestling stuff very closely. I know it's easy to wriggle around these rules, and the NCAA/courts aren't going to evaluate the proper market value of every NIL contract. Just give a talk or endorsement here and there? Social media stuff?

Also wondering how closely the coaches get to outright violations, since the schools themselves are not permitted to offer NIL deals directly to athletes. Does a coach just say here's why we want you to be a part of our athletic program, and by the way, this third party guy can give you some info about NIL options? And then the collective folks find a way for the details to get back to the coach?

I know it's all a facade, but I'm curious about the actual mechanics on the ground if anyone knows. I'm starting to think the proposed rule that just lets the schools make NIL deals directly with athletes is better. The whole game has changed beyond recognition, might as well quit pretending. That said, if the schools were doing it directly, Title IX likely comes into play.

At least 24 million people watched the women's basketball finals. More people watched the women's game than men's this year. Wrestling isn't close to that. It makes no sense to use women's bb as a comparison to wrestling for NIL.
And she reportedly had 3 million dollars in nil deals, allegedly Starocci was offered 400k. My big brain says that’s 7.5 times less than 3 million. I’d say that’s significantly less and commensurate to what we’re seeing in general marketability.

However you cannot entirely account for what individuals might be willing to spend on an nil deal. My guess is there are some big donors that will pony up to fund these deals in a sport like wrestling .

Reactions: el dub and vhsalum
I don't pretend to understand everything about the new NIL world, but I do know that the rules require the athlete to provide something back as consideration for these bags of money. It can't just be pay for coming to a school or for reaching a certain level of achievement in the sport.

Any idea what the heck these wrestlers in particular do in exchange for this money? Someone like Caitlin Clark is obvious, as she has commercials on national TV. But say Woods, Nagao, and Truax as wrestling examples--what the heck are they doing for six figure contracts? I certainly haven't seen anything locally with Woods, and I work in IC and follow wrestling stuff very closely. I know it's easy to wriggle around these rules, and the NCAA/courts aren't going to evaluate the proper market value of every NIL contract. Just give a talk or endorsement here and there? Social media stuff?

Also wondering how closely the coaches get to outright violations, since the schools themselves are not permitted to offer NIL deals directly to athletes. Does a coach just say here's why we want you to be a part of our athletic program, and by the way, this third party guy can give you some info about NIL options? And then the collective folks find a way for the details to get back to the coach?

I know it's all a facade, but I'm curious about the actual mechanics on the ground if anyone knows. I'm starting to think the proposed rule that just lets the schools make NIL deals directly with athletes is better. The whole game has changed beyond recognition, might as well quit pretending. That said, if the schools were doing it directly, Title IX likely comes into play.
You’ll never see the actual plan. Think how the pay to play worked years ago, it’s probably similar .

Look at what certain politicians get for guest speaking fees? I’d say it’s somewhat similar .

It may well be, but I will be skeptical until someone with more credibility than Chael confirms it.
I heard of a similar deal for a guy who wasn’t Carter Starocci so I’d say it believable . Is it true? I don’t think the guy would lie, and he’s very close to the program.

Who knows, but look what some athletes are getting? Then look at a very successful program with a potential five time champ. I don’t think it’s impossible .

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
It may well be, but I will be skeptical until someone with more credibility than Chael confirms it.
We know football is the king and the money makes sense. Caitlin Clark makes sense to me.

Let’s say we’re big money guys and don’t care about sports outside of wrestling . Doesn’t take too many guys to come up with some pr deal, say a big local car dealership? Cut a few promos for the radio or online adds and a tv spot or two and you earn that money.

I heard of a similar deal for a guy who wasn’t Carter Starocci so I’d say it believable . Is it true? I don’t think the guy would lie, and he’s very close to the program.

Who knows, but look what some athletes are getting? Then look at a very successful program with a potential five time champ. I don’t think it’s impossible .
That may be, but I lost what little respect I had for Chael after listening to his interpretation of the AJ fiasco at the Solders Salute.

How much did PSU pay him? Knowing that is crucial to the conversation that's been had regarding guys making their choices based on finances or not. I have a very hard time believing he wasn't paid in the same ballpark by PSU.

Say PSU only paid him $100k. Then turning down the $150k difference just to wrestling at PSU over Iowa would quite frankly be insane and irrational. I have an extremely hard time believing any wrestler not from an ultra wealthy family would make that decision.

In fact, if that's what's happening, then I sympathize with Tom for seemingly giving up on trying to compete with PSU in recruiting (compared to the three ring binder era).

Here's Bernie's grandfather:

Perhaps I remain confused on NIL. It's not just a cash payment to wrestle, correct? Is Carter giving rights to someone to make a few $10,000 t-shirts of him, doing a commercial for some rich guy that sells cars, allowing Karl to tattoo his picture on his head, or doing a commercial for Miller Lite to help pay his Budweiser tab?? https://onwardstate.com/2024/04/01/...right-infringement-over-natty-daddy-nickname/
I’ve long made a distinction between true NIL and fanboy money. The former is great; the latter …? Let’s just say a generic pee pee drug and a Mustang GT are cheaper than paying a wrestler this much.

If Iowa has boosters willing to pay $250k for Bernie, then that makes me wonder how we're having such a hard time landing top 10 p4p guys right now. And Iowa is losing out on recruits to other schools besides PSU who don't have a comparable budget.
IMG_20231231_065027_087.jpg.c27b5304101379bbdf3bc45c3dbbec72.jpg

No, it’s not weird after what I heard recently. If a fellow is getting 400k a year , what would a potential five timer get?

I heard some lady basketball player got some huge nil money in 7 figures. Girl’s basketball? Who watches that?

Enough money to make this money not surprising in women’s basketball or men’s college wrestling.

You mentioned what guys were making at camps? I heard either 2k or 2.5k for about two or so hours a few years ago. Source? The superintendent of the school. The athlete? Not saying.

There’s big money in these sports , bigger than I realized until a little over a month ago .
Catlin Clark received zero phony "NIL/pay-for-play" money. She generated her own endorsements.

"Caitlin Clark has received no money for her on court performance, only NIL compensation in the form of endorsement contracts. Caitlin Clark’s NIL compensation has been conflated with the ‘pay-for-play’ NIL deals used by NIL collectives to lure talented men’s revenue athletes to specific schools. This modality of NIL uses token endorsement contracts as a loophole to provide athletes compensation for on-field play, essential serving as a proxy payroll —predominantly for football and men’s basketball programs."
https://www.si.com/fannation/name-i...nformation-highlights-wnba-shortcomings-noah9

And she reportedly had 3 million dollars in nil deals, allegedly Starocci was offered 400k. My big brain says that’s 7.5 times less than 3 million. I’d say that’s significantly less and commensurate to what we’re seeing in general marketability.

However you cannot entirely account for what individuals might be willing to spend on an nil deal. My guess is there are some big donors that will pony up to fund these deals in a sport like wrestling .
You don't get it - do you? Clark made her own money and took zero phony, unearned, pay-for-play, NIL $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. If you don't know the difference, you can't be helped.

I don't think it's heads in the sand, but rather there are a lot of vague things thrown around and a lot of questions unanswered. See my comment above regarding Truax. The claim is that Iowa offered him $250k. How much did he make at PSU? The vague claim is that Iowa offered him more. More could be $1 or could be 6 figures. That detail matters a lot yet hasn't been shared anywhere.

One only has to listen and pay attention to have a sense of what's out there. $400K for a 4 time NCAA champ from a place like PSU is hardly unbelievable.

You're very confused. Clark had no NIL deals. Her money is all made from endorsements she has generated, trading on her name. Completely different than Starucci and others.

Clark is an example of what NIL is ACTUALLY supposed to be about, not "pay for play" which is fundamentally what's happening in college athletics today. (And very much happening at Iowa, for those PSU fans here with their baited breath.)

Why insane and irrational? 150k might be a big deal to some (it is to me), but do we know that about Truax? He could already have generational wealth waiting for him after he's done competing or already be set up with a big time job following the family business.

The $$ aspect is different for each athlete and then add in the recent success of PSU and I don't know if it holds as much weight as you seem to think.

Reactions: Pennstate1985
One only has to listen and pay attention to have a sense of what's out there. $400K for a 4 time NCAA champ from a place like PSU is hardly unbelievable.

You're very confused. Clark had no NIL deals. Her money is all made from endorsements she has generated, trading on her name. Completely different than Starucci and others.

Clark is an example of what NIL is ACTUALLY supposed to be about, not "pay for play" which is fundamentally what's happening in college athletics today. (And very much happening at Iowa, for those PSU fans here with their baited breath.)
During the NCAA's I was listening to a PSU radio feed and Carter came on a number of times for an auto dealership commercial in State College. I imagine that was part of his NIL deal, so he didn't get paid for nothing, he had to read cue cards at the very least.

I am sure there is more of that out there then we all know.

Say you are a billionaire and you love your college's wrestling team. $10,000,000 payroll a year isn't that crazy . It will be here soon. You are going to be getting $1,000,000 a year if you are a starter at Mich, tOSU, PSU and hopefully Iowa. Especially with inflation. This is the billionaires “poor man's” way to own a franchise.

Last edited:
Why insane and irrational? 150k might be a big deal to some (it is to me), but do we know that about Truax? He could already have generational wealth waiting for him after he's done competing or already be set up with a big time job following the family business.

That's literally what I said. It would be insane to turn down $150k for anyone who isn't from an extremely wealthy family.

So you’ve seen these deals including any the Iowa wrestlers are getting?

And do you remember just a few years ago this stuff was not allowed? I’m sure if Iowa had a potential five timer coming back you’d sing a different tune.

Guys like Carter have earned their money by doing something only 6 other wrestlers have accomplished . And hundreds had the opportunity to do the same .

His uniqueness and personality probably make it worth their while.

That's literally what I said. It would be insane to turn down $150k for anyone who isn't from an extremely wealthy family.
Yes it would , if say you wanted to contend for a national title. My son is a very talented engineer and last year he was jobhunting, his old job offered him a 40% increase to stay, but he was a little bit unsatisfied with the conditions there. The 40% increase came after you got other job offers that were 60% and 100% plus I was current salary.

He was at a fairly new aerospace company, and the money and job he took was at Amazon, helping them design satellites. Not only was the money much more, but the stability was guaranteed compared to the other two offers along with having more money.

Probably looked at Penn State and said they’re gonna win the team next year. I want to be on a championship team, I’m sure he talked to people in the program and felt it was a better room for him to potentially meet any goals he has for after college wrestling wise. he probably also decided that even though the money might be more not as a position, my son would’ve taken any of the jobs offered to him if he thought it was the best place to be.

He chose solid, stable in Amazon, which happened to be the most money, but if the money is enough, With the lowest offer, but you believe it’s the best overall situation you will take that.

Penn state is easily the best place to be at the moment to get better at wrestling and it’s not even close.

Reactions: Fatmarc and el dub
So you’ve seen these deals including any the Iowa wrestlers are getting?

And do you remember just a few years ago this stuff was not allowed? I’m sure if Iowa had a potential five timer coming back you’d sing a different tune.

Guys like Carter have earned their money by doing something only 6 other wrestlers have accomplished . And hundreds had the opportunity to do the same .

His uniqueness and personality probably make it worth their while.
I'm against the extra year crap, no matter what the school is or who the wrestler is.
There should not be a 5 time Conference Champ, 5 time AA or 5 time National Champ.

This doesn't at all address what I said in my post.

It addresses what I said in mine, which is what people questioned.

If so, that was dumb.

What was dumb about it? We got 2 good years and 2 AAs out of him, along with keeping our streak of NCAA finalists alive. The alternative would have been not even qualifying at 141.

I'm against the extra year crap, no matter what the school is or who the wrestler is.
There should not be a 5 time Conference Champ, 5 time AA or 5 time National Champ.

There was a time where one couldn't even be a 4 timer at those things, yet when they allowed it, the world didn't end.

Redshirting is too complex and also an outdated concept. It's nonsensical. Eliminate redshirting and make 5 standard with no extra years.

Reactions: el dub
Just a few years ago the concern was that guys were bypassing scholarship limits by making extra $ through "camps". But likely only mid 5 figures. Now guys are getting 7 figure NIL payments over the course of their college career.
I specifically recall the defenders of NIL championing for the college athletes claiming they “should get paid for their likeness in video games etc”. The opponents concluded that once pandora’s box was opened the result would be what it is. Collegiate athletes are now free agents. Universities that have a big enough endowment will pay for their services, the others won’t. I think it sucks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT