ADVERTISEMENT

Starocci Offered $1.25 Million to Wrestle for PSU Next Year

Yes it is - LOL - young kids are often foolish with their money and don't understand the consequences. Open up your mind a bit.

The point was that doing it without knowing/understanding the consequences versus blatantly disregarding them isn't the same thing. Open up your mind. 🙃

Five years to wrestle four? I’d get behind that.

No. 5 years to wrestle 5. Get rid of redshirting. It's nonsensical and irrationally complex.

Reactions: el dub
i really don't care what arguments you engage on in here and you call each other names and dumba$$ slurs but KNOCK off the use of the word " retard" ... I deal with mentally and physically challenged people on a daily basis and that word really pisses me off. Grow up and find a more creative term for your asinine conflicts. I am not over sensitive and most swear words don't bother me but if there is a parent of a challenged child who may be in here it is a kick in the guts... DO BETTER

Do I hear a bid for six years to wrestle six? Seven?

As stated in my initial post, I'm against that:

There was a time where one couldn't even be a 4 timer at those things, yet when they allowed it, the world didn't end.

Redshirting is too complex and also an outdated concept. It's nonsensical. Eliminate redshirting and make 5 standard with no extra years.

Likely has to do with the fact that the leakers are generally associated with the programs, not the athletes.

When is the last time anyone - media or otherwise - got solid information coming out of the PSU program? Cael has that on lock down.

Is it because Cael has it on lock down or because the wrestling "journalists" are too terrified of Cael to report what they know?

I don't believe he's getting any military pay or housing this year, since he's not at AFA or active duty. Eventually he will have to fulfill his commitment, which I'm sure will be with the WCAP so he can continue training.
Someone mentioned that, my BIL was active duty when he went to grad school, maybe they will allow him to do that route?

Likely has to do with the fact that the leakers are generally associated with the programs, not the athletes.

When is the last time anyone - media or otherwise - got solid information coming out of the PSU program? Cael has that on lock down.
NIL deals will never be public, the only worry they have is possibly the IRS if taxes aren't paid. My guess is an agent is handling these things.

I questioned what PSU paid Truax. For some reason the "insiders' are perfectly fine leaking that Iowa offered Truax $250k, but no one will speak up on what PSU paid Truax. It seems like a way of slighting Iowa. Leak that Iowa is throwing big $$$ at guys as if PSU isn't doing the same, and also make Truax seem honorable or PSU better b/c he chose PSU despite less money.

None of that commentary means anything unless we know the pay difference. If PSU offered him $100k for example, then it'd be a notable difference. If it was $240k, then it's an insignificant difference, but they still get to make the claim "he went to PSU for less money".

I really don't understand why the leakers are comfortable giving a number that one team offered, but not the other team. @smalls103

IMO, at minimum NIL deals need to be fully public/transparent. It's literally the only sports structure I can think of where the payments are completely uncapped and lack any transparency. Complete wild west.
No one at PSU is going to tell these guys anything of substance.

@smalls103 is it accurate that you and others were told what Iowa offered Truax but have no idea what PSU offered him?

And if so, how are people making the claim that Iowa offered him more if they don't know how much PSU offered?

Reactions: sdvike
i really don't care what arguments you engage on in here and you call each other names and dumba$$ slurs but KNOCK off the use of the word " retard" ... I deal with mentally and physically challenged people on a daily basis and that word really pisses me off. Grow up and find a more creative term for your asinine conflicts. I am not over sensitive and most swear words don't bother me but if there is a parent of a challenged child who may be in here it is a kick in the guts... DO BETTER
Same. I have special needs in my family and I just cringe at the word.

Reactions: HawkeyePA
The point was that doing it without knowing/understanding the consequences versus blatantly disregarding them isn't the same thing. Open up your mind. 🙃

No. 5 years to wrestle 5. Get rid of redshirting. It's nonsensical and irrationally complex.
The point was that many people, especially younger people, don't think they will get caught breaking the rules. Ignorance doesn't clear you of the crime, unless of course you are protected by willful and wanton conduct - which breaking tax laws is not. You don't get to set the "point" being made all the time.

Reactions: el dub
Naw I’ll choose how to speak.

Reactions: USPMAN
Truax was given $300k from PSU, and that's a fact. RBY was given well over half a mil to stick around another year, and Starocci will also get that amount - in addition to the "camp" and NLWC money they were promised - sincerely, Wikipedia

You're right. christian PSU is flawless and would never do anything beneath them like other teams do. 🙄
No, trhey're not going to spill any beans. I'm watching a show about Sanderson's first decade at PSU right now on Flo. they have mentioned more than once how they're tight lipped about training, techniques, etc. You think they're going to babble about NIL deals?

I'm not saying they don't have details, I've been told about at lest one that's quite lucrative, but it's not like it's against any rules now. They built a machine and it's not going to change any time soon.

No, trhey're not going to spill any beans. I'm watching a show about Sanderson's first decade at PSU right now on Flo. they have mentioned more than once how they're tight lipped about training, techniques, etc. You think they're going to babble about NIL deals?

I'm not saying they don't have details, I've been told about at lest one that's quite lucrative, but it's not like it's against any rules now. They built a machine and it's not going to change any time soon.

You've literally contradicted yourself within this post. Unless you consider yourself part of the PSU wrestling team. 🙄

"They won't spill any beans".

"I've been told about one that's quite lucrative".

Thank you for stepping up. I'm a grandparent of a mentally challenged child.

You've literally contradicted yourself within this post. Unless you consider yourself part of the PSU wrestling team. 🙄

"They won't spill any beans".

"I've been told about one that's quite lucrative".
I did no such thing. They’re not telling smalls , Flo, weirdos like you etc. They told my friend and I in a conversation because we’re not going to get into specifics .

Big deals are a part of the game. And any big time school offers them.

I did no such thing. They’re not telling smalls , Flo, weirdos like you etc. They told my friend and I in a conversation because we’re not going to get into specifics .

Big deals are a part of the game. And any big time school offers them.

If they're telling you and your friend then they're telling enough people for it to get out. Unless you're the parent of a wrestler or something.

Really doesn't take a lot for info to get out.

"Big deals are a part of the game. And any big time school offers them." More meaningless words vomit.

Last edited:
@SPOONER. you keep saying that PSU offered him $400K, but have you seen the potential lineup without Carter? The only benefit would be the banner that states "Only 5-time Champ" hanging in Rec Hall. Iowa however could keep their finals record appearance in tact so perhaps you should be looking at Bob?

All true. People talk. What surprises me is how some guys here are surprised about this. With NIL deals did they think they’d run at a few thousand?

How much do celebrities get paid to endorse products, do photo ops, or promotions? Well it depends, but if you’re worth the money to do one you probably are valuable enough to command pretty good money.

Say you want to raise money for charity? Hire one of these guys, pay them 25k or less or more for three hours. Have photos, send the gate receipts to the charity. Say you lose 20k overall , or don’t I bet you can right it off as some charity expense.

You really get torqued up over this , don’t you? 😂😂😂

There are big nil deals no matter what you think.

And yes sometimes people talk , that’s also nothing new.

Talk about the "Wild West". I get NIL to some degree once you have established yourself as an "earner" and a benefit to the program. But, the NCAA rule had been CRYSTAL CLEAR that these offers were 100% against the rules in regards to BOTH recruits and transfers. So, basically EVERY offer that was given to a recruit and transfer BEFORE they signed was a serious violation(s). Not only does it violate the recruiting rule, but it undoubtedly directly connected the school with the NIL deal.

Now, Tennessee and Virginia filed a suit at the end of January of this year and a temporary injunction on the above was granted at the end of February by a Federal judge. Once there is a formal ruling, the "Wild West" could damn near turn into "Hell on Earth" with essentially no restrictions whatsoever....

Reactions: bourbon n blues
You can hear things and not immediately run to a wrestling forum and talk about them. In fact that’s often how and why you get to hear things. You don’t have to be the parent of a wrestler not to tell someone something.

Yet all these people were quick to run to the forums and say "he's getting paid less at PSU than Iowa".

There sure are a lot of people that seemingly know how much he's been paid.

Reactions: johnyt9
Talk about the "Wild West". I get NIL to some degree once you have established yourself as an "earner" and a benefit to the program. But, the NCAA rule had been CRYSTAL CLEAR that these offers were 100% against the rules in regards to BOTH recruits and transfers. So, basically EVERY offer that was given to a recruit and transfer BEFORE they signed was a serious violation(s). Not only does it violate the recruiting rule, but it undoubtedly directly connected the school with the NIL deal.

Now, Tennessee and Virginia filed a suit at the end of January of this year and a temporary injunction on the above was granted at the end of February by a Federal judge. Once there is a formal ruling, the "Wild West" could damn near turn into "Hell on Earth" with essentially no restrictions whatsoever....
And it will turn out that way. Look at the SCOTUS decision? Let's say you and I start a band as college freshmen and it takes off. We blow up big online and we're making money putting music on Youtube without even touring? Perfectly legal.

We develop a video game and app etc., we can make millions. Another school offers us a deal to develop software for them and gives a full ride and a % of the app? Well we can do that from my understanding. We have this amateur mindset that came from British aristocracy over 100 years ago, a code of conduct you can say, but that has changed drastically these days and is probably gone forever.

All true. People talk. What surprises me is how some guys here are surprised about this. With NIL deals did they think they’d run at a few thousand?

How much do celebrities get paid to endorse products, do photo ops, or promotions? Well it depends, but if you’re worth the money to do one you probably are valuable enough to command pretty good money.

Say you want to raise money for charity? Hire one of these guys, pay them 25k or less or more for three hours. Have photos, send the gate receipts to the charity. Say you lose 20k overall , or don’t I bet you can right it off as some charity expense.

No one was thinking a "few thousand". Chael specifically stated $400k just to compete in the post season next year. That is two tournaments. That's a lot of money for a niche sport. To treat that nonchalantly and act like people are crazy for suggesting that's a lot of money when 95% of programs simply have no NIL market for their wrestlers whatsoever is ****ing crazy.

Comparing it to celebrity endorsements is laughable. NIL isn't being used primarily as a mechanism to profit off athletes endorsing products. It's being used as a means of buying athletes to compete at your school in a sport that mostly doesn't generate profit. You keep talking about it as if there is economic value and ROI to these NIL deals. That's rarely the case with wrestling. It's mega rich men throwing money at athletes so their favorite sports team can win. They aren't doing it to get a financial ROI.

No one was thinking a "few thousand". Chael specifically stated $400k just to compete in the post season next year. That is two tournaments. That's a lot of money for a niche sport. To treat that nonchalantly and act like people are crazy for suggesting that's a lot of money when 95% of programs simply have no NIL market for their wrestlers whatsoever is ****ing crazy.

Comparing it to celebrity endorsements is laughable. NIL isn't being used primarily as a mechanism to profit off athletes endorsing products. It's being used as a means of buying athletes to compete at your school in a sport that mostly doesn't generate profit. You keep talking about it as if there is economic value and ROI to these NIL deals. That's rarely the case with wrestling. It's mega rich men throwing money at athletes so their favorite sports team can win. They aren't doing it to get a financial ROI.
According to you , a person who has no idea about this. You haven’t seen the numbers, roi, or anything like that. So you don’t know.

And if you’re basing it on numbers, show them.

• Haha
Reactions: hawk224
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT