ADVERTISEMENT

Steveson

West Coast fans have rabid Football fans? Maybe N. Cal with the Niners and Seattle with the Seahawks but the college football scene is pretty tame in my opinion. I lived in So Cal for about 7 years. When I would go to a sports bar on a Saturday or Sunday to watch football (way too often btw) there were plenty of football fans but they were mostly from somewhere else. Funny story...a good buddy of mine and I went to a big Sports bar in Long Beach to watch Iowa/Purdue (this was in the late 80s). Place had probably about 15 big screens and only had the sound on for one game. UCLA was playing. SO Cal was playing. Plus numerous other games. We asked the waitress to put on the sound to the Iowa game. She did and nobody even noticed. It was similar on Sunday...the bar was jammed but it was all people from somewhere else for the most part. Not a bad thing. Now I will admit when i was in So Cal the Raiders were in and out, the Rams were the Lambs, so it was tough to get people interested in local Pro football.
Part of the issue is in Iowa you’ve got a handful of college teams and that’s it. In California we’ve got 5 professional baseball teams, 3 professional basketball teams and 3 professional football teams. There are still a ton of Raider fans in LA (definitely the most violent football fans in the country). I’m a die hard Dodgers fan (grew up with season tickets) and I’ve never been to a game that had less than 35,000 fans. Every Laker game is going to be a sellout, I’ve not been to the new Rams stadium, but I’ve heard it’s insane. The college fan base is likely going to be fairly tame as their is so much pro sports to be had.

Reactions: el dub and Hawkgma
So after reading through this thread, I take it that Gable has cemented his wrestling shoes on the CHA mat and into the hearts of Hawk fans for eternity.

• Haha
Reactions: vhsalum
Part of the issue is in Iowa you’ve got a handful of college teams and that’s it. In California we’ve got 5 professional baseball teams, 3 professional basketball teams and 3 professional football teams. There are still a ton of Raider fans in LA (definitely the most violent football fans in the country). I’m a die hard Dodgers fan (grew up with season tickets) and I’ve never been to a game that had less than 35,000 fans. Every Laker game is going to be a sellout, I’ve not been to the new Rams stadium, but I’ve heard it’s insane. The college fan base is likely going to be fairly tame as their is so much pro sports to be had.
People in Florida and Texas are still crazy about college sports with many professional sports teams to chose from.

So now that this fiasco is over, I cant wait see what our lineup will be for this season
I for one stopped watching pro wrestling after Jimmy (superfly) Snuka was done. I find it mildly entertaining at best and I dont see that changing with the addition of GS.
You must be young. I quit after Haystacks Calhoon and Gorilla Monsoon. I yam olde.

People in Florida and Texas are still crazy about college sports with many professional sports teams to chose from.
Even in the town that doesn’t care about college sports, USC still averages about 65,000 fans a game for football and the basketball school UCLA averages over 40,000 for football games.

WWE is huge Bird. I'm not a fan but they sellout huge venues consistently.
Unbelieveable that there are adults that would spend even a few minutes watching juiced up former athletes pretending to beat each other into submission. Even more amazing is that there are adults who will drive many miles and pay hefty admissions to watch the same in person.

Unbelieveable that there are adults that would spend even a few minutes watching juiced up former athletes pretending to beat each other into submission. Even more amazing is that there are adults who will drive many miles and pay hefty admissions to watch the same in person.
Now I know that I am going to receive lots of bull crap from posters but I won’t lose any sleep over it. They call these so called adults, “ trumpets “.

Reactions: sabula and el dub
Always liked my hometown Bruno Sammartino and his battles with George "The Animal" Steele, the furriest guy I ever saw.
Furry and always freaked me the hell out watching him. Dude was not all there.

Rowdy Roddy Piper IMO was the greatest professional wrestling heel of all time. I didn't hate any other bad-guy wrestler on quite the same level as I hated Piper. The guy had it all.

I see this type of derision for those that watch “sportsball” as well. Reminds me of that movie Finding Forrester. Sean Connery’s character Forrester is a famous reclusive author who is acting as mentor to a high school kid named Jamal. Jamal is looking at his huge library of all the old classics and then sees a stack of National Enquirers. He tells Forrester he should be reading the The New York Times. Forrester replies that the Times is for breakfast, the Enquirer is for desert.

Haven’t watched it since it was the WWF but understand that people need dessert in their lives.

You are taking this way too seriously.
Not really. I get hot but cool quickly. And I get it. He’s in the entertainment biz now, where publicity and marketing gimmicks are key. Just stings when I had my heart set on that frigid night in Iowa City where Gable needs to major Kerk to tie the team score at 16, sending the dual outcome to 7-levels-down criteria. Real, unpredictable excitement in front of a raucous crowd entertains me far more than choreographed stunts (even off ladders) and fictional storylines. But I’m the old-school minority, never to add a dollar to WWE’s billions. Cass v Kerk will have to do that night, and that’s fine by me. I don’t care how high Gable jumps off a ring rope.

Reactions: TarpHawk and el dub
Not really. I get hot but cool quickly. And I get it. He’s in the entertainment biz now, where publicity and marketing gimmicks are key. Just stings when I had my heart set on that frigid night in Iowa City where Gable needs to major Kerk to tie the team score at 16, sending the dual outcome to 7-levels-down criteria. Real, unpredictable excitement in front of a raucous crowd entertains me far more than choreographed stunts (even off ladders) and fictional storylines. But I’m the old-school minority, never to add a dollar to WWE’s billions. Cass v Kerk will have to do that night, and that’s fine by me. I don’t care how high Gable jumps off a ring rope.
There has not been a definitive statement Gable is not coming to Iowa.

And how do you know Cass is not involved in the gambling fiasco?

Rowdy Roddy Piper IMO was the greatest professional wrestling heel of all time. I didn't hate any other bad-guy wrestler on quite the same level as I hated Piper. The guy had it all.
Dude was not all there

Good actor

"After earning a Bachelor of Science degree from Michigan State University and a master's degree from Central Michigan University,[8] Myers became a teacher, amateur wrestling coach, and football coach at Madison High School in Madison Heights, Michigan. There he would eventually become a member of the Michigan Coaches Hall of Fame.[2][9]"

You are taking this way too seriously.
I don't think he is.

What Steveson did didn't drum up any new fans and only mildly solidified the ones that he already had.

Personally, I don't think it was a well-played move by him and his marketing would have grown (even if just marginally) by going back for his senior, regardless of the school being Iowa or Minnesota.

Instead he swindled Iowa, Minny, and the entire collegiate fanbase and took them for a fruitless month long joyride that no one enjoyed but him.

Tbf - he's probably fortunate that his acting and charisma is so shitty that he didn't generate even more enthusiasm and interest in his decision. Had that happened he'd probably alienate even more collegiate fans.

Instead the worst case scenario played out: no one gives a f*ck and there's very little traction for his debut this weekend.

People can take it seriously because those people think he's wasting an opportunity to perhaps be the greatest American wrestler, instead he's going to be just another cog in the fake wrestling machine.

That pathetic notion deserves some frustration, at least for a few minutes.

BTW my frustration ended minutes after his decision. I won't watch another thing he does unless it's on a REAL mat. Because, what's the point?

When I was a kid, I saw Roddy Piper, he was billed as a heel, but he was so damn funny and charismatic that he got cheered as much as the baby faces. RIP

I don't think he is.

What Steveson did didn't drum up any new fans and only mildly solidified the ones that he already had.

Personally, I don't think it was a well-played move by him and his marketing would have grown (even if just marginally) by going back for his senior, regardless of the school being Iowa or Minnesota.

Instead he swindled Iowa, Minny, and the entire collegiate fanbase and took them for a fruitless month long joyride that no one enjoyed but him.

Tbf - he's probably fortunate that his acting and charisma is so shitty that he didn't generate even more enthusiasm and interest in his decision. Had that happened he'd probably alienate even more collegiate fans.

Instead the worst case scenario played out: no one gives a f*ck and there's very little traction for his debut this weekend.

People can take it seriously because those people think he's wasting an opportunity to perhaps be the greatest American wrestler, instead he's going to be just another cog in the fake wrestling machine.

That pathetic notion deserves some frustration, at least for a few minutes.

BTW my frustration ended minutes after his decision. I won't watch another thing he does unless it's on a REAL mat. Because, what's the point?
Isn’t it possible we just couldn’t meet the terms GS demanded and that’s when the plan fell apart?

I don’t think it’s over. Nothing about that performance says his pursuit for another Olympic Gold or NCAA title is over. Its theatre and the storyline is just beginning.

Im not biting anymore. I hope if he makes a "We are Iowa" statement, there will be a new thread.

Reactions: el dub
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT