ADVERTISEMENT

Subbing Rotations

Nov 12, 2014
I'm a big fan of Fran and clearly know that he knows basketball more than I do myself. With that said, however, I have questioned his subbing rotations this year. I understand that guys need breaks, foul trouble can factor in like it did in the first half last night, but at times I really don't understand his subbing. Last night for example: Iowa was up 13 in the second half and JBO just picked up his 3rd foul. To me, it seemed like this game was a couple Iowa baskets away from Iowa running away with it. Instead, JBO along with Cook and Garza, Nunge sat on the bench for several minutes. JBO ended up coming back in when it got to 7 points but Garza and Cook didn't come back until it was a two point game.

Once these guys came back, they went on another run and Iowa finished the game right around +10. I understand those guys can't play every minute but at some point we can't keep subbing all of our scorers out at once.

In my opinion, guys like Pemsl, Kreiner, Wagner, Ellingson, Baer, Dailey have a role but that role is not to all be in the game at the same time. Last night for two different stretches, our line up consisted of just these guys and both times Illinois went on a run. I think the Hawks can win tonight but better subbing is going to be necessary.

I'm a big fan of Fran and clearly know that he knows basketball more than I do myself. With that said, however, I have questioned his subbing rotations this year. I understand that guys need breaks, foul trouble can factor in like it did in the first half last night, but at times I really don't understand his subbing. Last night for example: Iowa was up 13 in the second half and JBO just picked up his 3rd foul. To me, it seemed like this game was a couple Iowa baskets away from Iowa running away with it. Instead, JBO along with Cook and Garza, Nunge sat on the bench for several minutes. JBO ended up coming back in when it got to 7 points but Garza and Cook didn't come back until it was a two point game.

Once these guys came back, they went on another run and Iowa finished the game right around +10. I understand those guys can't play every minute but at some point we can't keep subbing all of our scorers out at once.

In my opinion, guys like Pemsl, Kreiner, Wagner, Ellingson, Baer, Dailey have a role but that role is not to all be in the game at the same time. Last night for two different stretches, our line up consisted of just these guys and both times Illinois went on a run. I think the Hawks can win tonight but better subbing is going to be necessary.

Agree 100%! Love Fran but many times feel he's trying to give too much playing time to those that really are inconsistent. And especially as you said, why bring them in all at the same time rather than one at a time.

At one point when I was listening to the second half they said it was JBo and four 4’s one of which wasn’t Cook or maybe three 4’s and a 5. I think it was Pemsl, Wagner, Kriener and someone else. Iowa had a double digit lead and I thought to myself here comes Illinois’ run. Sure enough.

Reactions: kcgolfer
In a game that’s still in question they should have at least 2 starters on the floor at all times. JBo, Cook, and Garza should never all 3 be on the bench together.

Reactions: DewHawk
Yeah, I never thought I would see a 1 guard/4 big rotation outside of crazy foul/injury issues, but we've seen that quite a bit this year. I will also never understand why we would have rotations with zero or one starters in at the same time.

0a286380dee8add2e2b3516fe2b5d5cc3fe48023f3c0e1de93b5bff1992d899f.jpg

I think Fran goes with the guys he trusts in certain situations when the starters are resting, but it would be nice to ALWAYS have a couple of starters out there. In a situation where we have to play almost every day, however, (until we lose), it makes sense to play a lot of guys when we have a big lead. Our depth is one of our advantages in this tournament format. Last night against Illinois I thought that Dailey, Pemsl, Wagner, Kriener and Baer all played very well coming off the bench, and they'll play a lot against Michigan.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT