ADVERTISEMENT

*****Summer Olympics Thread🏅*****

Not in 2028 but agreed with the rest of the analysis.

Four years is a long ways away but I'm not exactly sold on the next US team.

No Lebron
No Durant
No AD
No Jrue
Probably no Embiid
Probably no Steph - I could see him possibly playing even though he said this would be his only Olympics

You're going to be missing at least 5 or 6 of your Top 7 guys.

Maybe Booker - Already has 2 Golds so he might be done with it
Maybe Tatum - Could be some hurt feelings from this go around
Maybe Brown - Same reasons as Tatum
Maybe Haliburton - I'd assume he'd accept as it seemed like he didn't take the DNPs as hard as Tatum did.

Edwards
Holmgren
Banchero
Fox
Brunson
Morant
Williamson

U.S. goal for 2028: for god’s sake, send some competent “athletes” to BMX, breaking, and skateboarding. This used to be a proper country.

• Haha
Reactions: Hawkfan_08
Four years is a long ways away but I'm not exactly sold on the next US team.

No Lebron
No Durant
No AD
No Jrue
Probably no Embiid
Probably no Steph - I could see him possibly playing even though he said this would be his only Olympics

You're going to be missing at least 5 or 6 of your Top 7 guys.

Maybe Booker - Already has 2 Golds so he might be done with it
Maybe Tatum - Could be some hurt feelings from this go around
Maybe Brown - Same reasons as Tatum
Maybe Haliburton - I'd assume he'd accept as it seemed like he didn't take the DNPs as hard as Tatum did.

Edwards
Holmgren
Banchero
Fox
Brunson
Morant
Williamson

I'm sure this is an entirely arrogant take but we are the US and we are talking hoops. We better be able to field the best team top to bottom and it could very well include a certain player who wore the black and gold.

We need to win this on home soil but France will be a tough out as will Canada.

I'm sure this is an entirely arrogant take but we are the US and we are talking hoops. We better be able to field the best team top to bottom and it could very well include a certain player who wore the black and gold.

We need to win this on home soil but France will be a tough out as will Canada.

Generally I agree that the US should always win gold with how many players we have to chose from. But part of the reason we got Steph/Lebron/KD/Embbid/Booker for these Olympics is because the young stars shit the bed and finished 4th last year in the FIBA World Cup.

I didn't see a lot of double teams by France in the half court, especially in the 4th.

In fact, I think they screwed up on some defensive possessions sticking to their individual assignments rather than helping or focusing on who was obviously going to be getting the ball/taking the shots for the U.S. down thr stretch.

Would France really have changed up their defensive philosophy to stop Clark when the U.S. has so many other scoring options?

Would've ended up about the same as the All-Star game. Clark may not score but she would be dishing out assists left and right.

That was always the one part of her game that was gonna translate to the pros from Day 1 and separate herself from everyone else.
Exactly. That was basically my point to those who thought she would have problems with the pressure from France. She's seen worse in the W and done pretty damn well!

Why the laughter, Tom?

Did the coach select CC to the roster?

You guys are wearing the Iowa-colored glasses but you don’t see the reality. This coach refused to play Taurasi in this match. Why would she go to her #3 PG option today?
I already explained it. She would have earned her time. Clark is better than Taurasi too. Go ahead and press CC with Stewart, Wilson, etc on the floor and see how that goes. Greve might not, going in, wanted to play her, but she’s not an idiot. There’s not a woman on that team that can do with a ball in her hands what Clark can do. There’s things they can do better but facilitate isn’t one of them. You don’t keep double digit assists on the bench.

I already explained it. She would have earned her time. Clark is better than Taurasi too. Go ahead and press CC with Stewart, Wilson, etc on the floor and see how that goes. Greve might not, going in, wanted to play her, but she’s not an idiot. There’s not a woman on that team that can do with a ball in her hands what Clark can do. There’s things they can do better but facilitate isn’t one of them. You don’t keep double digit assists on the bench.

I would submit that Reeve is not an idiot. However, there are politics involved and the stakes in a gold medal medal match add to the variables. If CC even made the roster, it would have been through external pressure and not because Reeve made the call. And then CC would have sat on the bench in a similar role that Taurasi had.

It’s not disimilar to what the USWNT went through. In no shape or form did Horan merit the playing time she received. But she’s wearing the ‘C’ armband and Hayes left her out there.

We can argue back and forth that CC deserved to be on the roster and may have contributed. But she wasn’t going to play in a match like occurred today.

I would submit that Reeve is not an idiot. However, there are politics involved and the stakes in a gold medal medal match add to the variables. If CC even made the roster, it would have been through external pressure and not because Reeve made the call. And then CC would have sat on the bench in a similar role that Taurasi had.

It’s not disimilar to what the USWNT went through. In no shape or form did Horan merit the playing time she received. But she’s wearing the ‘C’ armband and Hayes left her out there.

We can argue back and forth that CC deserved to be on the roster and may have contributed. But she wasn’t going to play in a match like occurred today.
The problem is the unnecessarily combative tone you're taking to make the argument everyone already understands.......................

External pressure is what this clown show needs. Internal pressure is pretty much the number problem with the wnba.

You don't think Reeve is an idiot... but she also doesn't want Clark on the team. Sounds like an idiot to me.

Still not exactly quite sure what your point is but 🤷‍♂️

External pressure is what this clown show needs. Internal pressure is pretty much the number problem with the wnba.

You don't think Reeve is an idiot... but she also doesn't want Clark on the team. Sounds like an idiot to me.

Still not exactly quite sure what your point is but 🤷‍♂️

It doesn’t matter what we think of Reeve. The fact that she was the coach meant that 1) CC wasn’t on the roster and 2) wouldn’t have played today.

That’s just how she opted to run things. We can debate “if” CC would have contributed today in a hypothetical world. But she would not have left the bench today.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT