ADVERTISEMENT

SWARM CEO Brad Heinrichs Explains why they Currently are Unable to Support the Men's Basketball Program like they Need To

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Fran has embraced SWARM but there's only so much money to go around & SWARM clearly earmarked a lot of their resources for the haul of football transfers that they brought in.

As a result, Iowa men's basketball is having a hard time competing against "basketball schools" and against schools that don't have a football program (where collectives spend more or all on basketball).

Fran gets criticized a lot for not landing highly rated prospects but the lack of money that the SWARM can offer has made his job that much harder.

Reactions: Bishop1971
This is why the Big East is going to be an absolute monster while NIL is the primary way these players get compensated. Creighton has a huge fanbase for basketball and no football team to draw the funds away. Xavier, Villanova, heck I could see Marquette, St. Johns, etc. all reaping huge players due to their NIL funds not being so spread out.

Here is the SWARM CEO Brad Heinrichs Interview.

He says they need 10,000 or more paying members; they are at just 1,800.

He said they called women basketball prospects who were in the transfer portal but he didn't get any call backs.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
Here is the SWARM CEO Brad Heinrichs Interview.

He says they need 10,000 or more paying members; they are at just 1,800.

He said they called women basketball prospects who were in the transfer portal but he didn't get any call backs.

Not sure simply having more money would make sure people pick up the phone, they didn't even get that far with women prospect. Some of that has to be on them no?

Good luck with that...

I agree. That's why I don't bitch about Fran struggling in landing portal prospects and in landing the TJ Powers and JP Estrella's of the world. In JP Estrella's case, Fran clearly got outbid.

And next time anybody bitches about Fran's recruiting, we need to ask that person how much they are contributing to SWARM.

No, it tells us that the average Iowa fan's financial priorities lie elsewhere...
Nah. It tells us 1) most people don't understand NIL and how it will dictate success going forward, 2) some percentage of fans will bitch about Iowa's results but not pony up to help out the cause (either via attendance or Swarm contribution). A small percentage are truly allocating the $200/year elsewhere, purposefully.

Great to get a lot of regular fans donating a little, but Iowa needs some big donors to really make a difference. So, does this tell us that Iowa is not a basketball school?
Brad said on the podcast that they don't have many corporate sponsors at the moment, but I think they ought to be making a bigger push to get some. Since Iowa doesn't have as many companies as other states, Brad said they are counting on more "Average Joe Hawkeyes" to support the program. While it's true that Iowa doesn't have as many corporations as other states, we also don't have as much population as other states, so either way, the Swarm is facing a challenge.

I suppose it makes sense, while doing a publicly consumed podcast, to focus on the need for Average Joe Hawkeyes to get involved. But if they are smart, they also have an aggressive corporate strategy as well.

I mentioned in another thread -- kind of jokingly -- that I was looking forward to buying some of the Swarm-branded beer that I guess is going to hit the shelves in July. Honestly, product offerings like this could be a great area for the Swarm to get into. Brad said the Swarm will get 20% of the proceeds from the beer sales. That creates another great way for fans like me, who aren't interested in becoming a full member, to still support what the organization is doing in some way.

Nah. It tells us 1) most people don't understand NIL and how it will dictate success going forward, 2) some percentage of fans will bitch about Iowa's results but not pony up to help out the cause (either via attendance or Swarm contribution). A small percentage are truly allocating the $200/year elsewhere, purposefully.
For the record, there is also a significant contingency of fans who may not become Swarm members, and WON'T bitch about the results on the field.

So in another post not on this thread I thought it said there were around 160K Iowa alumni out there. 1800 is an incredibly low number contributing. Now that also means we must have some people throwing out some pretty large bills because I’m assuming it took some decent money to land Cade, our wr from Ohio State and a few others. I’d be interested in knowing what the numbers are at some of our competitors like Purdue, Minny, Nebraska etc. Have to assume it’s a very large number at Penn St, Ohio State and Michigan.

Reactions: Bishop1971
He's calling them; they are not picking up the phone. He's leaving a message; they don't return the call or reply to his message. Not sure what else he can do.
Maybe I would start with considering it might make sense to have a "she" on the staff connecting with women athletes. We are putting a lot of faith in this agency to do everything perfectly right. Seems to be well in football, but it is possible the staff within SWARM is more passionate about one sport over another. Hopefully I am wrong here.

Brad said on the podcast that they don't have many corporate sponsors at the moment, but I think they ought to be making a bigger push to get some. Since Iowa doesn't have as many companies as other states, Brad said they are counting on more "Average Joe Hawkeyes" to support the program. While it's true that Iowa doesn't have as many corporations as other states, we also don't have as much population as other states, so either way, the Swarm is facing a challenge.

I suppose it makes sense, while doing a publicly consumed podcast, to focus on the need for Average Joe Hawkeyes to get involved. But if they are smart, they also have an aggressive corporate strategy as well.

I mentioned in another thread -- kind of jokingly -- that I was looking forward to buying some of the Swarm-branded beer that I guess is going to hit the shelves in July. Honestly, product offerings like this could be a great area for the Swarm to get into. Brad said the Swarm will get 20% of the proceeds from the beer sales. That creates another great way for fans like me, who aren't interested in becoming a full member, to still support what the organization is doing in some way.
If there are no limits on NIL, Iowa is not going to do well against schools in bigger markets with more businesses. Roy Carver have any relatives, who like BB?

This is like dudes who drop 100's on a stripper, actually think she's going home with them & also that her real name is Mercedes...kids taking people's money 🤑

Last edited:

I'll definitely pick Swarm beer over Bud light!

I'll definitely pick Swarm beer over Bud light!
This beer idea is also a good way to get the word out, not just raise money. And Swarm/NIL awareness seems to be part of the challenge.

I'd wager there are a quite a few potential doners out there who either 1.) don't understand NIL so their first reaction will be to bash it out of ignorance, or 2.) have no clue NIL is even a thing or what the Swarm's role is. And some of these aforementioned folks are on this message board.

In any case, it sure would be nice if the UI athletic department, and Gary Farta in particular, looked around the country and noticed how other ADs are supporting their NIL collectives ...

Last edited:
If there are no limits on NIL, Iowa is not going to do well against schools in bigger markets with more businesses. Roy Carver have any relatives, who like BB?
Yeah, I tried telling people this a while ago, its only a matter of time before corporations, especially shoe companies, are putting their own teams together to represent their company and the school name will be secondary.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
Sorry, but the day it becomes the average fans "Job" to PAY high schoolers and transfers to come to school AND get a free education, so they can play basketball or football, with the chance of becoming a pro and making millions, (which is a pretty damn high propability under KF) is the day I could care less if we compete at an above average place in the B!G. Getting close to retiring and all that come with that and family all comes first. Love my Hawks, and always will, BUT this train has gone so far off the tracks. Nope, no thank you. I may find ways to contribute here and there, but I'll not be told I'm not a fan, because I'm not down with this whole crap show thats gone totally sideways. You all do what you do, and good for you.......

Sorry, but the day it becomes the average fans "Job" to PAY high schoolers and transfers to come to school AND get a free education, so they can play basketball or football, with the chance of becoming a pro and making millions, (which is a pretty damn high propability under KF) is the day I could care less if we compete at an above average place in the B!G. Getting close to retiring and all that come with that and family all comes first. Love my Hawks, and always will, BUT this train has gone so far off the tracks. Nope, no thank you. I may find ways to contribute here and there, but I'll not be told I'm not a fan, because I'm not down with this whole crap show thats gone totally sideways. You all do what you do, and good for you.......

I said this earlier.

The point was that schools are making millions off their athletes. Athletes want a piece of the pie.

Athletes start getting opportunities for money and that's supposed to come from corporations, local businesses and the fans.

So the schools continue to just make millions while dumping it on our shoulders? Sounds like a raw deal for us... how about season tickets are free for those donating or some kickback?

Totally get it.

At the same time, I think fans need to realize the reality of the situation before they say Fran sucks at recruiting. It's quite apparent that Fran does not have the funding that Iowa football does when it comes to landing that stud out of the portal or that stud 4 star high school player.

I said this earlier.

The point was that schools are making millions off their athletes. Athletes want a piece of the pie.

Athletes start getting opportunities for money and that's supposed to come from corporations, local businesses and the fans.

So the schools continue to just make millions while dumping it on our shoulders? Sounds like a raw deal for us... how about season tickets are free for those donating or some kickback?
Thats a good idea, doesn't sound like Barta is smart enough to work with the collective so far but I could see other ADS coming up with an incentive system like that in conjunction with donations.

Hopefully Barta isn't around to much longer.

I said this earlier.

Kevin Warren met with football players to discuss revenue sharing. Not sure if that will now happen or not. But can you imagine players getting that on top of NIL?

Kevin Warren met with football players to discuss revenue sharing. Not sure if that will now happen or not. But can you imagine players getting that on top of NIL?
I would think if it got to that point, revenue sharing would replace NIL in terms of asking for fan donations?? Maybe not...

Reactions: Franisdaman
Is it really that hard to find a old farm lady with 100 million spread around in coffee cans?

I said this earlier.

I get it, but the reality is the earnings after revenue isn't THAT great. Money still has to be spread around/stored for a rainy day, for a plethora of athletic items.

Only about 5-10 schools truly can afford what you've mentioned.

That being said, 6 bucks for a bottle of water is still a crock. 😉

Reactions: Gutt15 and amahawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT