ADVERTISEMENT

SWARM CEO Brad Heinrichs Explains why they Currently are Unable to Support the Men's Basketball Program like they Need To

Iowa might have more NIL for BB with a different head coach. Not a lot of fans appear to be willing to give more money to the Swarm for BB with a coach that has been there this long with no plan for improvement. Also, a coach that has shown that he doesn't always play the best players on the roster.

Not a great position for a BB program to be during the NIL era

Imagine if MBB had this kind of support/backing.

We could compete in the portal for players; we'd be able to retain players.

Well Kirk says the NIL is "good" which doesnt sound good!!! I dont know if I would believe conservative Kirk meaning that they have a lot of NIL $$$ compared to the other top 25 teams.

Cheating is now legal. What a lot of schools used to do "under the table" is now the norm. College athletics (mostly FB + BB) is becoming a sham.

When will it implode?

I don't know what the solution is (if any), but they have opened the door, and there is no turning back.

The original idea of NIL seemed fine Give these athletes some compensation, but the lack of regulation has created a monster.

What Iowa donor (or donors) has $500,000 to hand out annually to ONE player?

$500,000 now; how much next year and the year after that?

If Tony Perkins is worth $500,000 per year, we're royally f'd.

Last edited:
The former B1G commissioner & B1G football players have discussed revenue sharing.

Will players eventually become designated as employees?

Nah. It tells us 1) most people don't understand NIL and how it will dictate success going forward, 2) some percentage of fans will bitch about Iowa's results but not pony up to help out the cause (either via attendance or Swarm contribution). A small percentage are truly allocating the $200/year elsewhere, purposefully.
No, Rifler is right. The $$ priorities of most fans are elsewhere. And with the cost of living what it is, it makes perfect sense.

Why would you give your hard earned money to a punk who doesn't give 2 shits about you?
Re: Swarm, 1) as you know, there is a charitable component, whereby needy organizations can benefit and and many, many players have made kids’ days because of Swarm events; 2) it’s tax deductible (for now); 3) it can help recruit (and more importantly for Iowa) retain student athletes so the programs have a chance to succeed.

As you can guess on a Hawkeye fan site, Iowa success provides value to its fans on a subjective-emotional level, and success can also provide objective benefits to the University (see increase in applications, etc).

It ain’t rocket surgery good sir.

Re: Swarm, 1) as you know, there is a charitable component, whereby needy organizations can benefit and and many, many players have made kids’ days because of Swarm events; 2) it’s tax deductible (for now); 3) it can help recruit (and more importantly for Iowa) retain student athletes so the programs have a chance to succeed.

As you can guess on a Hawkeye fan site, Iowa success provides value to its fans on a subjective-emotional level, and success can also provide objective benefits to the University (see increase in applications, etc).

There are better ways to fund deserving students at Iowa. I do it for needy students who attend the law school. The alumni foundation can even carve out a specific donation program so your dollars are used as you intended. The nil sadly is an unregulated joke with 0 oversight. But I still love Wade. One of my favorite lunch pale players.

Here is the Gazette's story on Tony looking for his $500,000 pay day.

The SWARM INC arm was not going to pay him that.

Remember when pay to play was highly against the rules?

From what I took from Brad's interview that I watched, it sounds like they ask the coaches if they want to pay whatever amount out of the "kitty" to whatever player. So, if they have the $$$ its probably ultimately up to the coach.

What I read on another forum about TP: "He was asking for $300K from Georgetown and other places that showed interest. They balked, others have not. The $500K might be high but he’ll get that $300K. It might not be straight cash but it will be a car and a fat bag."

another thought:

I am guessing that Iowa will be getting around $20 million more from TV next year. Could Beth ask current big time UI donors to redirect their donations to SWARM?
This is probably the best option to increase Iowa NIL. If the UI Athletic Dept can operate well on its TV and game day revenue then have the boosters/fans move their donations to NIL collectives etc.

Football stadium seatbacks cost $50 to $60 a few years ago and the Ath Dept could give a rebate of 50% to those that show a NIL donation of half of that cost. If this is permissable.

Come on you Ath Dept and NIL people, come up with some novel ways to fund the SWARM.

Reactions: TampaHawkfan
NIL is capitalism with almost no regulation. It's a libertarian's delight! Unless your team doesn't have the $$$.
As for Tony P., good for him getting paid. He put his time in at Iowa. I have no problem seeing him make some money with his last year of eligibility.

There are better ways to fund deserving students at Iowa. I do it for needy students who attend the law school. The alumni foundation can even carve out a specific donation program so your dollars are used as you intended. The nil sadly is an unregulated joke with 0 oversight. But I still love Wade. One of my favorite lunch pale players.
I get more enjoyment from athletics than knowing that we continue to add to the lawyer pool.

Does anyone know what NIL $$, if any, that the current Iowa BB players are getting from the school, and does it vary, depending on what the player adds to the team?

Well WadeL, you mention needy organizations and there are hungry needy kids/families in Iowa. That is why donating to a food bank, a very good mental health organization, donating money to organizations that help the underserved are I would say much better than giving to SWARM and NIL. And I speak from a position of buying Iowa football season tickets from '73 to 2019, making my Iclub and alumni donations to the UI, etc. Many people can donate to SWARM and donate to other organizations but many people just want to donate to really needy people rather than a P5 sports program.

Well WadeL, you mention needy organizations and there are hungry needy kids/families in Iowa. That is why donating to a food bank, a very good mental health organization, donating money to organizations that help the underserved are I would say much better than giving to SWARM and NIL. And I speak from a position of buying Iowa football season tickets from '73 to 2019, making my Iclub and alumni donations to the UI, etc. Many people can donate to SWARM and donate to other organizations but many people just want to donate to really needy people rather than a P5 sports program.
Dead on. The SWARM argument that it benefits needy families is pretty weak, when the purpose is clearly to improve Iowa athletics. Maybe it is a nice side effect, but anyone donating to NIL funds wants to see results from the teams.

Reactions: GOHOX69
Dead on. The SWARM argument that it benefits needy families is pretty weak, when the purpose is clearly to improve Iowa athletics. Maybe it is a nice side effect, but anyone donating to NIL funds wants to see results from the teams.
Correct. I know with NIL it is now a circular logic problem but I stopped buying tickets and donating more to my age, retiring, and frankly I thought the men's fb and bball teams were in a rut by about 2019. I found it easier to watch on tv from home and let the younger fans than me jump in and buy tickets and donate.

Iowa FB has had 2 10 win seasons in the last 3 years but it was not due to the terrible offense which was very hard to watch

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT