ADVERTISEMENT

Texas and Oklahoma have given official notice……

83Hawk

HR Legend
Sep 17, 2002
Sorry, I can’t post a link. Not working on my iPad.

Sources reporting that Texas and Oklahoma have officially notified the Big 12 that they will not renew their Grant of Rights when they expire in 2025. However, there was no mention of applying to the SEC….only that they were going to evaluate the changing college football landscape.

Reactions: scotthawk1964
giphy.gif

Courtesy notice to all posters to only listen to rumors from credible sources. I remember ten years ago, every poster and Twitter user claimed to have an “inside source” when no one really knew wtf was going on.

Having said that, I also remember ten years ago once the first domino fell, everything else happened quite rapidly. I would expect some more major news from somewhere within a month.

I think the buyout is around $76M per school

How soon could they exit with this buy out?
Who knows. It seems like logistically, not this season. But if they’ve been talking about it for six months, maybe they already have a plan in place? IF that was the case, what a middle finger that would be to the Big 12.

Edit: the more I think about it, it's not going to be this season. I can't see the SEC doing that to their own fans who have already made travel plans.

Last edited:
I think it's safe to say Texas & Oklahoma have gotten a pretty good idea of how the expanded CFP is going to work over the last 6 months and they're getting their ducks in a row for when it happens. And now the dominoes after them will start to fall. Even more safe to say the B12 isn't going to be part of those expansion plans.

Who knows. It seems like logistically, not this season. But if they’ve been talking about it for six months, maybe they already have a plan in place? IF that was the case, what a middle finger that would be to the Big 12.

yeah, you would think that the exit might occur as early as April 2022

My guess is they’re banking on the B12 dissolving and getting out of it without paying a dime. Otherwise, they’ll let lawyers negotiate it out. I’d be shocked if they’re playing a B12 schedule in ‘22-23
Yes. By pre-emptively saying they will not renew GOR, they make it impossible for the Big 12 to renew/extend any of their existing deals. No network is going to pay anywhere near what the Big 12 is getting now without Oklahoma and Texas as part of the deal.

If the Big 12 could get its remaining teams to hold the line and stick together, they could force a nearly $150 million payout from those schools. But then what? The money for the Big 12 sans Oklahoma and Texas is going to be a pittance compared to the other leagues. It would be like the Big 10 trying to negotiate renewal of TV rights without Ohio State and Michigan.

Okie and Texas are hoping the most-attractive other Big 12 schools (probably Kansas and West Virginia) decide to get out while the getting is good, which would just further erode the conference.

The whole thing is dumb at this point. There isn't a lot being accomplished other than pure money grabs.

Reactions: FWIW4922463
My guess is they’re banking on the B12 dissolving and getting out of it without paying a dime. Otherwise, they’ll let lawyers negotiate it out. I’d be shocked if they’re playing a B12 schedule in ‘22-23

Yes, they have to be hoping the Big 12 members find soft landing spots. If they don't, the remaining 8 members could just remain together and enforce the GoR until 2025. It'd be actually about 80 million per year until 2025 for both schools.

Reactions: Legs94
If the Big 12 could get its remaining teams to hold the line and stick together, they could force a nearly $150 million payout from those schools. But then what? The money for the Big 12 sans Oklahoma and Texas is going to be a pittance compared to the other leagues. It would be like the Big 10 trying to negotiate renewal of TV rights without Ohio State and Michigan.

But then what? It is what it is. If the remaining schools aren't attractive enough to be a bride for a major conference the best thing to do is just ride it out until 2025 and try to use the OU/UT money to pay down debt and rejigger your whole AD to deal with the massive decrease in budget.

Reactions: Legs94
Yes, they have to be hoping the Big 12 members find soft landing spots. If they don't, the remaining 8 members could just remain together and enforce the GoR until 2025. It'd be actually about 80 million per year until 2025 for both schools.
Source? That's not being reported anywhere.

thats what I recall. and the buy out was $76M total for each school not $76M x 4 years

It's their rights fees per year. Big 12 paid out 38 MM per school last year. So 38 million per year, for each school, until 2025.

Again, this is why nobody is leaving the ACC even if their TV contract sucks. The GoR goes until 2035 and since the league is at 14.5 teams even if the top two go somewhere else the league won't fold and they'd owe hundreds of millions of dollars over the next 14 years.

It's their rights fees per year. Big 12 paid out 38 MM per school last year. So 38 million per year, for each school, until 2025.

Again, this is why nobody is leaving the ACC even if their TV contract sucks. The GoR goes until 2035 and since the league is at 14.5 teams even if the top two go somewhere else the league won't fold and they'd owe hundreds of millions of dollars over the next 14 years.
Actually, the payout was more than that for UT and OU.

But then what? It is what it is. If the remaining schools aren't attractive enough to be a bride for a major conference the best thing to do is just ride it out until 2025 and try to use the OU/UT money to pay down debt and rejigger your whole AD to deal with the massive decrease in budget.
Sure but there is nothing keeping Texas and OU from doing the same. They can then exit at 2025 with no penalty and the Big 12 would be unable to negotiate a contract until after the current one expires thus ending everything for the remaining schools with no payout from Texas and OU. Do the remaining schools really want to play this game of chicken with Texas and OU?

Courtesy notice to all posters to only listen to rumors from credible sources. I remember ten years ago, every poster and Twitter user claimed to have an “inside source” when no one really knew wtf was going on.

Having said that, I also remember ten years ago once the first domino fell, everything else happened quite rapidly. I would expect some more major news from somewhere within a month.
Yes it will be interesting to see what school acts next. Least 10 years ago they kept the 2 big name brands and replaced the 4 who left with WVU and TCU. Now you lose the clear top 2 schools and the pool to pick from is even more watered down. How much intrigue does Houston, SMU, UCF, BYU or any other AAC or Conference USA school bring to the table.

I think OU and Texas are banking on the next move by any of the remaining 8 is to leave as well and that would be the official death blow for the Big 12 in hopes they can leave sooner and not pay as much.

Reactions: HerkyFan
How long before Nebraska petitions to move from the B1G to Big8/12 now that Oklahoma and Texas are gone? It'll be just like the Big 8 with a few new faces with Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech, and WV replacing Oklahoma, Colorado, and Missouri. Plus the bonus of Texas leaving-- who Nebraska never wanted in the Big12 anyway due to them requiring academic standards.

Again, what's your source on this? I find it hard to believe every media outlet has the TOTAL amount (between $75-80M) incorrect. I think you are misunderstanding the difference between their TV deal annual revenue and the early opt out fee.

Yeah Okie and Texas will be gone by next season. Big 12 will be in limbo otherwise and conferences will move fast on determining next steps.

Again, what's your source on this? I find it hard to believe every media outlet has the TOTAL amount (between $75-80M) incorrect. I think you are misunderstanding the difference between their TV deal annual revenue and the early opt out fee.
I think the 75-80 million is correct and so is the 36 million, again not sure but somewhere I heard they will owe only 2 years so that math is correct.

Yes it will be interesting to see what school acts next. Least 10 years ago they kept the 2 big name brands and replaced the 4 who left with WVU and TCU. Now you lose the clear top 2 schools and the pool to pick from is even more watered down. How much intrigue does Houston, SMU, UCF, BYU or any other AAC or Conference USA school bring to the table.

I think OU and Texas are banking on the next move by any of the remaining 8 is to leave as well and that would be the official death blow for the Big 12 in hopes they can leave sooner and not pay as much.
sadly, at least for me, the Big 12 as any type of major conference is dead. The cast-aways are desperately trying to find a life-boat floating in the wreckage.. no I'm not depressed LOL

This is widely reported not just rumors.

Yes, it's all about money.

But, if the SEC stays with the East/West, and TX and OK join the West, Missouri has to be wondering if they can ever approach a .500 record in football. Alabama, Auburn, LSU, TX, OK, ARK, one of the Mississippi schools and MO. Ugh.

No matter how much money you get from the conference, you still need to win some games. Maybe MO would like to re-join the Big 12?

sadly, at least for me, the Big 12 as any type of major conference is dead. The cast-aways are desperately trying to find a life-boat floating in the wreckage.. no I'm not depressed LOL
Found this quote from CBS sports article today. So funny and so true and it's from Pollard of all the Big 12 ADs.

In 2016, Iowa State athletic director Jamie Pollard made this prescient statement: "The Big 12 exists because we have Texas and Oklahoma in the room. If we take Texas and Oklahoma out of the room, we're the Mountain West Conference."

Yes, it's all about money.

But, if the SEC stays with the East/West, and TX and OK join the West, Missouri has to be wondering if they can ever approach a .500 record in football. Alabama, Auburn, LSU, TX, OK, ARK, one of the Mississippi schools and MO. Ugh.

No matter how much money you get from the conference, you still need to win some games. Maybe MO would like to re-join the Big 12?
yeah I agree, it is hard to recruit to your program if you are getting constantly thumped and so you stay bad. Of course if the bad teams move out, then somebody else has to lose. But if you are getting an equal share of the money I guess you stay. What happens though when they start to pay bad teams less. I hate it and i don't think it will end up making CFB better for the masses. I guess it is competitive but I don't know if it is good for the conference overall to have a bunch of two loss teams. I just hope Texas takes a thumping frequently. At least Oklahoma was good, Texas should be but isn't. I don't think this move will help their record!

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
Found this quote from CBS sports article today. So funny and so true and it's from Pollard of all the Big 12 ADs.

In 2016, Iowa State athletic director Jamie Pollard made this prescient statement: "The Big 12 exists because we have Texas and Oklahoma in the room. If we take Texas and Oklahoma out of the room, we're the Mountain West Conference."
you may not like him but he is not stupid.

Reactions: RIGHTWINGHAWK
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT