ADVERTISEMENT

The BLM movement is based on a false premise... and now it is harming the Iowa football program

Things are wrong in our country, and some people are trying to fix it.

it always amazes me how much effort some people, like the OP, put into mental and statistical gymnastics trying to prove that there is no problem. Just imagine how great our world would be if everyone put that effort into fixing what kills our country instead.

It’s sad, and shows how far we still have to go. I’m sure these stats and talking points are circulating all over white nationalist websites.

I can agree with that. But also the truth matters, and it's hard to just sit back and watch this continue unabated.

The most important things holding back black people in 2020 is not racism. It's that 75% of black children are growing up without fathers, high crime rates, and lack of quality education at the elementary and high school level. These things are all fixable. Watching our society get torn apart like this over a niche issue that ignores the actual real problems is painful, and we need more people to start speaking the truth.
We need alot more responses like this, thoughtful, reasoned and articulate. Watch some Hodge Brothers on youtube for some truth and comic relief. Why don't people get this upset over the daily killing of black on black, which is astronomically higher.

Reactions: Nlghthawk
The central thesis of the BLM organization, that there is a widespread problem with police officers murdering innocent black men, is not true. According to FBI statistics, black people committ over 50% of the violent crime in our country, but account for only 23% of killings by police. Studies have found that when normalized for the amount of crime committed, black people are actually LESS, not more, likely to be killed by police. There were only 9 unarmed black men killed by police last year and more than twice as many whites. Police officers are 18.5x more likely to be killed by black men, than an unarmed black man is to be killed by a police officer. Black men make up 6% of the population but are responsible for 42% of police deaths. Racism still does exist unfortunately and it comes from people of every color, not just white. But what we really have here is a crime problem in the black community, not a policing problem. Sometimes the truth hurts, but these things need to be said to bring meaningful positive change in black communities. I am all for empowering black Americans, but the BLM organization will not do that, in fact it does the opposite.

As for this football team, I hope they don't kneel during the national anthem over this movement that is not really based in reality. The anthem is a time that we are supposed to come together as Americans. Ultimately they will have to make that decision though, and I will still cheer for Iowa football either way. Regarding Doyle, it sounds like he might go overboard on his jokes sometimes and he can fix that. But also people need to lighten up and not be so sensitive.
I have two questions.

1. Are you white or black?

If the answer to #1 is black then...

2. Would you want to live in this country as a black man and be treated as they are?

The central thesis of the BLM organization, that there is a widespread problem with police officers murdering innocent black men, is not true. According to FBI statistics, black people committ over 50% of the violent crime in our country, but account for only 23% of killings by police. Studies have found that when normalized for the amount of crime committed, black people are actually LESS, not more, likely to be killed by police. There were only 9 unarmed black men killed by police last year and more than twice as many whites. Police officers are 18.5x more likely to be killed by black men, than an unarmed black man is to be killed by a police officer. Black men make up 6% of the population but are responsible for 42% of police deaths. Racism still does exist unfortunately and it comes from people of every color, not just white. But what we really have here is a crime problem in the black community, not a policing problem. Sometimes the truth hurts, but these things need to be said to bring meaningful positive change in black communities. I am all for empowering black Americans, but the BLM organization will not do that, in fact it does the opposite.

As for this football team, I hope they don't kneel during the national anthem over this movement that is not really based in reality. The anthem is a time that we are supposed to come together as Americans. Ultimately they will have to make that decision though, and I will still cheer for Iowa football either way. Regarding Doyle, it sounds like he might go overboard on his jokes sometimes and he can fix that. But also people need to lighten up and not be so sensitive.
Csb. I can play the stats game, too.

"Sadly, the trend of fatal police shootings in the United States seems to only be increasing, with a total 429 civilians having been shot, 88 of whom were Black, as of June 4, 2020. In 2018, there were 996 fatal police shootings, and in 2019 this figure increased to 1,004. Additionally, the rate of fatal police shootings among Black Americans was much higher than that for any other ethnicity, standing at 30 fatal shootings per million of the population as of June 2020."

https://www.statista.com/statistics/585152/people-shot-to-death-by-us-police-by-race/

I have no issue with BLM trying to better their race. I do have issues when they say police are biggest threat to a black man’s life. 2019 232 black men killed (includes justified shootings) only 9 unarmed. As much as some want to believe Floyd’s death is the norm it is not. Tragic and awful I’ve yet to meet one person who thought otherwise. Speaking of reform this is a case where he was charged almost right away along with others there. Are their ahole cops? Yes every profession has their bad apples. The key is bad shootings is the motive because he was a poorly trained and messed up or race motivated. Because believe it or not every case of a black man being shot is due to the color of his skin. Case by case basis.

stats have proven with basically every race murdered white and black their biggest threat is their own because most murdered over 90% they knew the victim. As we’ve seen with large urban cities the drug and gang related in some towns like Chicago is depressing. But even yesterday we saw in CR the man convicted who knew the 4 18yr black people in a car be shot killing 2 of them. In my opinion if BLM really wants to be effective instead of pointing the finger condemning the police at every turn try working with them. We’ve seen in DSM their community leaders step up right now and have down a good job creating a working narrative with them.

Exactly right

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
And what do you think is a massive reason for that? When black people get arrested for possession and end up going to jail for years, sometimes decades, yet white people arrested for the same crime more often than not never even go to jail. There are inequities throughout the entire system that largely contribute to the conditions you have mentioned here. It's all connected.
Your describing candidate for president Biden. He co-sponsored the legislation back in the 1990's that incarcerated so many black males due to the crack cocaine epidemic.

Your describing candidate for president Biden. He co-sponsored the legislation back in the 1990's that incarcerated some many black males due to the crack cocaine epidemic.
This post puzzles me. It establishes that people know that systematic racism exists. So why pretend it doesn't exist for police work?

I find it interesting two separate posters have addressed me, yet refuse to try and explain it. I’m not surprised, however.

I don't think a message board predominantly filled with white people is where you'll get your answer. I know my level of understanding, or more accurately my level ignorance, was exposed a couple years ago when I had a series of very candid conversations with folks that have lived a life if experiences I will never know. There is a burden that young black men bear that is not recorded with statistics and is frankly hard to comprehend as an outsider. Your best bet is to find someone that has had these experiences and to do your best job of listening without tryng to solve the problems in the moment, or being on the defensive.

It's hokey, but...peace, love and (especially) understanding are the way toward a common goal.

No body cams though...

Body cams are good. Honestly for both sides public and the police been shootings where if not a body cam some could blame the cop and is justified cause he had. I know around 2010 when they first started coming. It’s hard to believe lot of cars 20 years ago didn’t even have video cameras in them.

ive asked friend in law enforcement why some do and don’t have. Said lot of it comes down to $ and budget and lot that don’t would prefer to. So like in Iowa you’ll see larger counties like Johnson and linn have and others smaller counties or cities don’t. I have no clue if Minneapolis does or not but would be a good start if they don’t.

Systemic Racism, also known as structural or institutional racism, is reflected in disparities in healthcare, educational, political, and criminal justice systems. Systemic racism is also a disparity in behaviors and beliefs.

Even with insurance African Americans receive worse medical care-systemic racism.
African Americans are sentenced more harshly for equal crimes-systemic racism.
African Americans are more likely to receive a substandard education and be illiterate-systemic racism.

A couple clear HROT examples:

1. Remember when HROT conservatives used Arbery’s criminal history to somehow justify his murder and implied he had it coming? Crazy how they are doing the same thing with Floyd. Actually, it’s not crazy, it’s systemic racism reflected in their beliefs that all black people “had it coming.”

2. The same posters who attempt to provide cover for Chauvin’s actions are also infinitely more upset about graffiti on a statue that can be cleaned off than Floyd’s murder. This is a clear example that many people believe black lives matter less than property. (And that many use vandalism to delegitimize the BLM, is also systemic racism.)

According to FBI statistics, black people committ over 50% of the violent crime in our country
Also, in addition to my other questions (see above)...have you ever bothered to research why this is? Do you know anything about private prisons, Clinton's 3 strike law, systematic racism levied via policy against black communities long before you were born? Any understanding of the impact of young black boys growing up w/o father figures? This issue is so much larger than, "dem white boys sure don't like dem black boys."

quit hiding behind stats!

Systemic Racism is also known as structural or institutional racism, is reflected in disparities in healthcare, educational, political, and criminal justice systems. Systemic racism is also a disparity in behaviors and beliefs.

Even with insurance African Americans receive worse medical care-systemic racism.
African Americans are more likely to receive a substandard education and be illiterate-systemic racism.

1. Remember when HROT conservatives used Arbery’s criminal history to somehow justify his murder and implied he had it coming? Crazy how they are doing the same thing with Floyd. Actually, it’s not crazy, it’s systemic racism reflected in their beliefs that all black people “had it coming.”

2. The same posters who attempt to provide cover for Chauvin’s actions are also infinitely more upset about graffiti on a statue that can be cleaned off than Floyd’s murder. This is a clear example that many people believe black lives matter less than property.
so the answer is to burn down the AutoZone. clearly. that way if the African American goes outside and his car does not start, the nearest AutoZone is not available to help.

Few were outraged when the Pentacrest got tagged. Why is Kinnick different? I mean we all know why. Iowa football. But it's telling that this is the last stand for so many. It's even more telling since Kinnick gets trashed every football Saturday but nobody says a peep.

Piss, puke, and trash everywhere is ok? But some paint, that actually has some real symbolism behind it, is a bridge too far?

Reactions: joelbc1
Thank you. I want to Iowa fans know I came here as a black person hoping to tell my story, give An insight into why the players are feeling that way & have a civil conversation. This shouldn't be about sports or politics
Hearing from the players directly is the best way to better understand what has been going on and how it can effect the Uni of Iowa Athletics Dept.
Nowadays I think that its really hard to seperate the sports and politics, seems like everything is deeply intertwined because of social justice and social media. Some players are moderate, some are democrat, some are republican. How does a black democrat player vs black republican minded player see the situation? There are black republican players out there but I'd say there in the minority and less likely to give there thoughts due to peer pressure and blowback. thanks for speaking up with your viewpoints and taking the time to discuss. The country needs dialogue

Sure.

But why would I waste time on an obvious mental midget?

If you honestly need it explained to you, then you are a stupid human being.

Something that has been asked and answered is understandable,

However people here commonly post by innuendo and vagueness. There is nothing improper about asking someone to clarify their position with specificity.

Actually, he's correct.

Because you are cherry picking facts and mostly laying siege of a vacant castle. You are also ostensibly denying 400 years of systemic and institutional racism and the numerous incidents of police brutality that have disproportionately affected African Americans throughout our nation's history. While substantial improvements have been made, there is still an obvious norms gap that exists in policing today. Hence the protests.

Furthermore, you are obviously unaware of the fact there are many groups and committees in the black community trying to work with law enforcement to address the issues of gang violence in urban communities. I know, because I've attended these committee meetings. Someone who has been an instrumental part of them is Rep. Samad. You know, the black guy talking down rioters at protests and advocating with Governor Reynolds peaceful demonstrations.

The short answer is you don't know what you're talking about.
Don't forget to include that this country and many people have in it have been fighting for almost 200 years to correct and fix the injustices brought upon blacks. If it went on for 400 years then its reasonable to think it could take that long to expunge it from our nation and society. Take a few minutes to listen to the song "400 years" by Bob Marley and the Wailers, a great song.

Systemic Racism, also known as structural or institutional racism, is reflected in disparities in healthcare, educational, political, and criminal justice systems. Systemic racism is also a disparity in behaviors and beliefs.

2. The same posters who attempt to provide cover for Chauvin’s actions are also infinitely more upset about graffiti on a statue that can be cleaned off than Floyd’s murder. This is a clear example that many people believe black lives matter less than property. (And that many use vandalism to delegitimize the BLM, is also systemic racism.)
Thanks ridiculous some on this thread.

Reactions: Fluffles
Something that has been asked and answered is understandable,

However people here commonly post by innuendo and vagueness. There is nothing improper about asking someone to clarify their position with specificity.

And if I thought that was the case with him, I would explain it to him.

Don't forget to include that this country and many people have in it have been fighting for almost 200 years to correct and fix the injustices brought upon blacks. If it went on for 400 years then its reasonable to think it could take that long to expunge it from our nation and society. Take a few minutes to listen to the song "400 years" by Bob Marley and the Wailers, a great song.

It's a complicated issue.

You're not helping your case. This is the problem today. People are all emotion, and when confronted with actual facts and data that blows up their narrative, they just can't handle it. If you have a problem with what I posted, take it up with the FBI and DOJ.

You are a racist. You approach the issue from a racist perspective and present data as if it supports a rational angle.

Typical of an ultra right wing extremist.

And if I thought that was the case with him, I would explain it to him.

Good to hear, because that’s not the typical response here.

When someone asks another member to clarify their position it’s often met with obfuscation and deflection.

Good to hear, because that’s not the typical response here.

When someone asks another member to clarify their position it’s often met with obfuscation and deflection.

There have been so many posts on here about it. I try to maintain a balanced approach to this subject because it is obviously an emotional one. But if you really have to ask about the arguments put forth regarding systemic racism, then you are just choosing to remain ignorant.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT