ADVERTISEMENT

The CC Show....

No; you didn't.

Post your "numbers". I'll post mine.
You seem to be hung up on numbers and your ability to post things out of context is impressive. I believe the number breakdown from page 5(?)3(?)4(?) made one poster(you) claim that DT and CC we’re essentially similar and league average.

What we have been addressing, and you ignoring is the Staley quote and how you made an inaccurate statement about. You want to keep going back to numbers. That hasn’t been the point or the discussion. Numbers are really the only sliver you have left and all they prove is that a league average player made the olympic team.

Feel free to address how you got to this point. And how you got to the ‘probably’ part of your position.

She did say that in the interview I'd posted. She said "if we knew how she had performed" (later in June) "we may have decided differently".
This is a quote from Staley according to Joe's linked article.

Joe then adds his interpretation
'Go listen to it. She is basically saying "mid season CC probably should have been on the team".'

You seem to be hung up on numbers
That's how we compare performance.

Gray's performance in the 2nd half of the 2023 season was much better than CC's first few weeks in 2024. Which is what any committee is going to look at, assuming Gray will be healthy in time for the Olympics.

So, if you attended "tryouts", you got your metrics there.
If you did not, they "go to the scorecards".

Either you have comparative numbers that demonstrate Clark should have been there (based on pre-June 10 performance) or you don't.
It appears that you "don't".

What we have been addressing, and you ignoring is the Staley quote and how you made an inaccurate statement about. You want to keep going back to numbers

Because Staley is REFERRING to those numbers (performance).

If you want to look at the numbers she and others viewed, go analyze them.

That player has a prior year pedigree and had phenomenal stats then ; was coming off injury.

Your point?
The phenomenal stats after injury? The pedigree after the injury?

We are watching DT play based on her pedigree, imagine if she was coming off injury.

So the ‘tryout’ is important…. Well not to that player.
Then it’s the ‘early games before the selection are important’ well not to that other player
Or is it 1:1 assists/turnovers isn’t good enough… well except for that guard it’s okay.

Keep going, at some point in time you will run out of straws to grasp.

Feel free to use comments that aren’t about numbers and bring numbers into it. It’s amusing at the level mighty joe has sunk to in this thread.

He has justified and defended a league average player making the Olympic team
He has attempted the ‘essentially said’ when that’s not even close to what was said
And continues on his charade
Waiting for the ‘I know you are but what am I’ or ‘I am rubber, you are glue’ approach.

That's how we compare performance.

Gray's performance in the 2nd half of the 2023 season was much better than CC's first few weeks in 2024. Which is what any committee is going to look at, assuming Gray will be healthy in time for the Olympics.

So, if you attended "tryouts", you got your metrics there.
If you did not, they "go to the scorecards".

Either you have comparative numbers that demonstrate Clark should have been there (based on pre-June 10 performance) or you don't.
It appears that you "don't".
‘Assuming’ will be healthy. Solid approach. But hey she didn’t have any turnovers or fouls in 2024

Reactions: Chuck C and TJ8869
Anyone besides me find the timing and location of the final tryout camp a little peculiar?

The Final Four took place at the Cleveland Cavaliers’ home arena on April 5. The Olympic tryout camp took place at the exact same time, 8 miles away at the Cavaliers’ training facility. That can’t be merely a coincidence.

Can anyone make sense out of that? They guaranteed that anyone who made the Final Four wouldn’t be able to attend the tryout camp.

Why not schedule the camp to start the day after the title game? If the stated objective is to put together the best team, then why not give the elite college players at least an opportunity to try out?

The excuse that Clark didn’t attend the tryout camp rings a bit hollow considering they made certain she couldn’t.

Anyone besides me find the timing and location of the final tryout camp a little peculiar?

The Final Four took place at the Cleveland Cavaliers’ home arena on April 5. The Olympic tryout camp took place at the exact same time, 8 miles away at the Cavaliers’ training facility. That can’t be merely a coincidence.

Can anyone make sense out of that?

Clearly, a conspiracy against Caitlin Clark.
They knew (when they scheduled it long before) that she'd lead her team to the Final Four, again...

• Haha
Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
Clearly, a conspiracy against Caitlin Clark.
They knew (when they scheduled it long before) that she'd lead her team to the Final Four, again...
Read. the. words. that. I. actually. wrote.

They knew when they scheduled the camp that no player whose team reached the Final Four would be able to attend the camp. That meant that if LSU made it back to the Final Four, Angel Reese would not be able to attend. That meant that if UConn made it to the Final Four then Paige Bueckers and Alyssa Thomas would not be able to attend. That meant that if Iowa made it to the Final Four then Caitlin Clark would not be able to attend. That meant that if Stanford made it to the Final Four then Cameron Brink would not be able to attend.

They made certain when they scheduled the camp that several elite college players would be unable to attend. What sense does that make, especially if the stated objective is to put together the best possible team? Why not schedule the camp at the exact same location a few days later and invite four or five of the top college players to try out, especially knowing that many of them were going to be joining the league in just a couple of weeks?

They made certain when they scheduled the camp that several elite college players would be unable to attend.
Perhaps they've figured since the WNBA game has grown so much over the past 20 yrs, that they have ample talent within the league to field an Olympic team.

The fact that the "2nd Team" All-Stars defeated Team USA head-to-head would be a testament to the talent across the top tier of the league; you could have 'swapped teams' and still hit the Medal Rounds...

Read. the. words. that. I. actually. wrote.

They knew when they scheduled the camp that no player whose team reached the Final Four would be able to attend the camp. That meant that if LSU made it back to the Final Four, Angel Reese would not be able to attend. That meant that if UConn made it to the Final Four then Paige Bueckers and Alyssa Thomas would not be able to attend. That meant that if Iowa made it to the Final Four then Caitlin Clark would not be able to attend. That meant that if Stanford made it to the Final Four then Cameron Brink would not be able to attend.

They made certain when they scheduled the camp that several elite college players would be unable to attend. What sense does that make, especially if the stated objective is to put together the best possible team? Why not schedule the camp at the exact same location a few days later and invite four or five of the top college players to try out, especially knowing that many of them were going to be joining the league in just a couple of weeks?
Because they already knew there was no space for rookies on this team, with the roster they’d penciled out. So, they gave themselves cover by ensuring the top rookies couldn’t participate in the camp.

Because they already knew there was no space for rookies on this team, with the roster they’d penciled out. So, they gave themselves cover by ensuring the top rookies couldn’t participate in the camp.
All but 4 NCAA rosters had players who could attend the camp

Yes; they clearly had someone w/ a Time Machine, who knew CC would be in the FF, so she could not attend....
You read at a Trumpian level, Spud. My point is not about only Clark. By scheduling the camp at the same time as the Final Four, they made certain that NO PLAYER WHOSE TEAM REACHED THE FINAL FOUR would be able to attend the camp.

They could have scheduled it in the exact same location just a few days later and invited some of the top college players to at least have an opportunity to try out and gain some experience.

Diana Taurasi was named to the 2004 Olympic team before she ever played a single game in the WNBA. Breanna Stewart was named to the 2016 Olympic team before she ever played a single game in the WNBA.

Not one player from this year’s historic rookie class was even given an opportunity to try out for the team.

All but 4 NCAA rosters had players who could attend the camp
By scheduling the camp when they did, USA Basketball made it crystal clear that they didn’t give a shit about rookies or college players.

“Fvck off, young’uns! We got old women whose egos need to be stroked.”

Reactions: Pinehawk
By scheduling the camp when they did, USA Basketball made it crystal clear that they didn’t give a shit about rookies or college players.
...because the 99% of the college players on teams NOT in the Final Four could attend...

• Sad
...because the 99% of the college players on teams NOT in the Final Four could attend...
Good point. None of the elite players ever make it to the Final Four anyway.

Give me one good reason why they couldn’t have scheduled the camp in the exact same place a few days later.

Good point. None of the elite players ever make it to the Final Four anyway.
Why would the Blue-bloods coaches, who all have/had ties to Team USA, want to exclude their players from attending the camp?

Why would the Blue-bloods coaches, who all have/had ties to Team USA, want to exclude their players from attending the camp?
Are you referring to the coaches of the teams that were playing in the Final Four the same day as the third and final day of the camp? Are you asking why those coaches wouldn’t want their players trying out for the Olympics instead of practicing and studying film and participating in team meetings and otherwise preparing for the Final Four with their teammates?

Is that what you’re asking?

You're the one coming up with a new-excuse-per-day as to why she didn't make the Olympic team....
I’m not making an excuse for why she wasn’t selected. I’m debunking one of their excuses for excluding her.

Are you referring to the coaches of the teams that were playing in the Final Four the same day as the third and final day of the camp?

Yes. They all have Team USA connections.

Dawn Staley was part of the Selection Committee. And yet didn't seem to have any "pull" to alter schedules.
Or, didn't care.

I wonder if @TJ8869 and his buddies are aware of the NCAAW Final Four and Olympic schedules over the past 20 years...

2024: almost the latest NCAAW FF dates (by one day) of the past 20 years (April 5-7, 2024; latest was April 6-8 2008).
2024: almost the earliest start to summer Olympics of the past 20 years (July 26, 2024, earliest was July 23, 2020)

In the years a WNBA "rookie" made the teams (and they may have gone to the tryouts those years), there were 129 or 122 days between the Final Four and the beginning of the Olympics (2004, 2008, 2016). Every one of those years, Olympics opening day was 1-2 weeks into August)

In 2024, that was 110 days, or 2-3 weeks less to schedule tryouts and still get the team together.

So, perhaps the scheduling of this year's tryouts were at about the same number of days prior to Olympics Opening Day, but because that timeline was 2 weeks shorter, NCAA FF happened to "overlap" the typical prep schedules.

Look up the dates yourself.

Dawn Staley was part of the Selection Committee. And yet didn't seem to have any "pull" to alter schedules.
Or, didn't care.
Staley is just one member of the committee. And I doubt she had any players who would have been seriously considered for Team USA this year anyway. Kamilla Cardoso was her best player and she plays for the Brazilian national team. In fact, Cardoso even missed a couple of South Carolina’s games earlier this year so she could play for Brazil in an Olympic qualifying tournament. Alas, Brazil did not qualify for the 2024 Olympics.

2024: almost the earliest start to summer Olympics of the past 20 years (July 26, 2024, earliest was July 23, 2020)
The 2020 games were actually held in 2021. You remember COVID, right?

In the years a WNBA "rookie" made the teams (and they may have gone to the tryouts those years), there were 129 or 122 days between the Final Four and the beginning of the Olympics (2004, 2008, 2016). Every one of those years, Olympics opening day was 1-2 weeks into August)
I know that what I’m about to tell you sounds like the wildest goddamn coincidence ever, but it’s absolutely true.

Geno Auriemma was the head coach of Team USA in 2016. Geno Auriemma also happened to be the head coach at UConn. Breanna Stewart was a senior at UConn that year.

Crazy, huh? But hold on to your hat because it gets even wilder. Auriemma held a Team USA tryout camp in February in Storrs, Connecticut. You’re probably thinking “Hey, isn’t UConn located in Storrs?” And you would be right.

Stewart’s college coach brought 10 members of Team USA to their campus in the middle of February so Stewart could try out for the team. And then she was selected to the team shortly after her college season ended, before she ever put on a Seattle Storm uniform. How fortuitous was that?

Because Staley is REFERRING to those numbers (performance).

If you want to look at the numbers she and others viewed, go analyze them.
Lol…. Staley said what she said. What you typed after that was amazing
I’m not making an excuse for why she wasn’t selected. I’m debunking one of their excuses for excluding her.
Careful, you are going against a poster who thinks that

“we may have decided differently".

Means

“mid season CC probably should have been on the team".'

Now it’s on to the tryout schedule. In the women’s NCAA world who would think the top college player would make the final four and not be eligible to make the try out. Probably never happens.

Iowa was not remotely expected to make the FF.

NCAA gave them the worst path to the title game, in case you forgot about that.
‘Iowa was not remotely expected to make the FF.’
Posted Joe

Pre season #3 ranked teams are definitely not even remotely expected to be in the final four. That’s why they were only #3?

Deflect, deny, distract. Not your best efforts in this thread. Stick to BPA’a, COVID and vaccines

‘Iowa was not remotely expected to make the FF.’
Posted Joe
USA Basketball announced the camp on March 28. Two days before #1 seed Iowa played Colorado in the Sweet Sixteen.

Lol at “not remotely expected” to make the Final Four. It’s very rare that a #1 seed manages to reach the Final Four. Only 16 of the last 24 #1 seeds have done it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT