ADVERTISEMENT

The CC Show....

If by early in the season you mean the first game of her rookie year. That was rough. Thereafter, she played great basketball

No; first half of the season she's been up/down.
Good, but not spectacular like she has been in the last 5-10 games. Which is a big reason why the Fever went from something like 1-8 to being favored as a playoff team now.

All I'm stating is that Staley's comments in the linked video are accurate.

• Haha
Reactions: Pinehawk
Good, but not spectacular like she has been in the last 5-10 games. Which is a big reason why the Fever went from something like 1-8 to being favored as a playoff team now.

Did you actually those games or are you just going by box scores. During the first 10 games, most of the turnovers credited to her were passes bouncing off players hands who weren't ready for them. Her teammates acclimated to her and those still happen, but at a much lower frequency. In terms of just making bad decisions and not being ready for the blitzing faced (which is the highest in the league and more frequent than other TEAMS have faced, not individual players), that got cleaned up after about 5 games. Overall, she has been killing it really since game 1, with maybe a couple of clunkers thrown in there against the best teams. If you want to go off numbers, here they are:

0VrkEdI.jpeg

Did you actually those games or are you just going by box scores. During the first 10 games, most of the turnovers credited to her were passes bouncing off players hands who weren't ready for them. Her teammates acclimated to her and those still happen, but at a much lower frequency. In terms of just making bad decisions and not being ready for the blitzing faced (which is the highest in the league and more frequent than other TEAMS have faced, not individual players), that got cleaned up after about 5 games. Overall, she has been killing it really since game 1, with maybe a couple of clunkers thrown in there against the best teams. If you want to go off numbers, here they are:

0VrkEdI.jpeg

0VrkEdI.jpeg

Take off the rose colored glasses and look at what you'd posted.

Points: Very erratic early on. Not what you want on an international team.
Higher, and consistent AFTER Team USA was named
Rebounds: Clearly higher in the latter games. AFTER Team USA was named
Assists: Not even close. Major improvement AFTER Team USA was named.
Turnovers: Still high, but leveling off/dropping.

You just confirmed what I'd told you above and what Dawn Staley said.

• Haha

I think the improvement has a lot more with her teammates starting to figure out how to play with her than anything she is doing. The only noticeable thing is she's had dead legs that have certainly affected her long range shooting. Hopefully the rest and opportunity to recalibrate during the break gets her fully back to what we are used to seeing. Certainly the defenses she was seeing took some time to adjust as well (which should really be the end all/be all of what teams and players actually think of her). She seems far more comfortable in handling that as well, but again a big chunk of that are teammates doing things better to help her out in those situations.

Reactions: Tenacious E
0VrkEdI.jpeg

Take off the rose colored glasses and look at what you'd posted.

Points: Very erratic early on. Not what you want on an international team.
Higher, and consistent AFTER Team USA was named
Rebounds: Clearly higher in the latter games. AFTER Team USA was named
Assists: Not even close. Major improvement AFTER Team USA was named.
Turnovers: Still high, but leveling off/dropping.

You just confirmed what I'd told you above and what Dawn Staley said.
Nope. If you watched the games, her assists + would be assists on dropped passes have been pretty consistent although she has killed it the past 5 or so games. Not only was she getting dinged with turnovers which weren't her fault, she was losing out on 3 to 5 assists per game on blown layup opportunities, if her teammates would have been ready for her. She always should have been getting at least 10 assists per game and now that he teammates are used to her, she is getting over 10 assists most games. Her rebounding numbers have been consistently outstanding for a guard. She scores as many points as the team needs. She always has done that - always will. So she is definitely playing better herself in the second quarter of the season, but that just means she is an A+ rather than an A not only in absolute terms, but relative to her peers. And aside from that, she is a ratings machine. Overall a dumb choice not to take her which is only looking dumber with each passing day.

I don't think there is an objective person around that did not understand how stupid the decision to leave her off the team would look by the time the Olympics came around. It's just so unfortunate that petty politics dominates the leadership of USA basketball.

I think the improvement has a lot more with her teammates starting to figure out how to play with her than anything she is doing.

While her teammates have also improved, claiming they are to blame for her early poorer play is silly. She had lots of TOs early on, and many of those were intercepted passes by defenders.

While her teammates have also improved, claiming they are to blame for her early poorer play is silly. She had lots of TOs early on, and many of those were intercepted passes by defenders.
I mean, it's not 100% one or the other. But many of the issues were team mates not being in the right place that left her hanging out to dry in a trap on the side line so she would cause her to lose possession from a slap (because they never call that foul either) or more often force her to make a really bad pass because she needed to get rid of the ball. They have really cut down on the number of times that happens to her. Not to say she didn't ever make any ill advised passes, she did and she will. That will be part of her game for her entire career. It's part of the high risk, high reward part of her game.

This is a nonsense comment.

They were something like 1-8 early in the season. She clearly was not scoring "as many points as the team needs" then.
Jesus, you have to parse everything - you know what I meant. She scores as many points as the offenses need to function as well as it can.

She was also getting dinged w/ TOs that were her fault.

And FWIW, she went 0-7 from three in the AS game.
Yes, as I stated. And the all star game was just played. At the end of the the season before the break, when you acknowledge she was playing lights out.

I mean, it's not 100% one or the other. But many of the issues were team mates not being in the right place that left her hanging out to dry in a trap on the side line so she would cause her to lose possession from a slap (because they never call that foul either) or more often force her to make a really bad pass because she needed to get rid of the ball. They have really cut down on the number of times that happens to her. Not to say she didn't ever make any ill advised passes, she did and she will. That will be part of her game for her entire career. It's part of the high risk, high reward part of her game.
She actually picked her dribble up a lot early on, and then was unable to pass off when double-teamed.

She has altered that aspect of her game and keeps her dribble alive now, which is making it much harder for teams to double-team her and then recover when she passes. And that has elevated her game and her team's game.

Most veteran players said she would need to adjust to the league, like they all did.
They were right; she did not just "dominate" the league from Week 1. But by Week 8-10, she's looking a lot different.

FWIW, Taurasi outplayed her in the AS game.
Arike outplayed everyone.

• Haha
Why not quote the rest of my post
The rest of your post had nothing to do with it.

She did not "score enough points", if "winning games" is the goal here (which it is).

You still have not put forth her Averages for Pts/RBs/ASTs at the cutoff, vs the guards on the team.
If you want to claim she had better numbers, you'd do that. I suspect you did this, and found they do not support your claims here.

Yes. She did.

She had a very bad Ast/TO ratio, and was erratic on scoring.

And if anyone has a claim to Taurasi's Team USA spot, it'd be Arike.
The ratio wasn’t “very bad”. She was producing assists with an extremely high usage rate. You can the number of turnovers was bad, but not the ratio.

She did not "score enough points", if "winning games" is the goal here (which it is).

You still have not put forth her Averages for Pts/RBs/ASTs at the cutoff, vs the guards on the team.
If you want to claim she had better numbers, you'd do that. I suspect you did this, and found they do not support your claims here.
What cutoff would you like to make up for purposes of your argument?

She can score the amount of points the offense requires of her on a given day for the offense as to functional as well as it can and still lose. They had the Nos. 2, 1, and 1 overall picks for three consecutive seasons for a reason. The team isn’t very good and still loses to better teams often. She’s not Gandalf.

• Haha
Reactions: Kelsers
Just expressly tell me what you think it is.
It was officially announced sometime after June 10.

Her Assist/TO ratio around that time was 1.1, which is not good for any guard, let alone one you want to consider an All Star.
2:1 or better is what you want.

So, go compare her stat lines against the other guards thru then and let's see how they stack up.

That's what the men's team always thought

Until it wasn't.
There is more parity in the men's game. The women would be no less certain to win gold with CC and the other 11 players instead of DT and the other 11 players. They have a 56-game winning streak in the Olympics that dates back to 1992.

They beat defending silver medalist Japan today by 26 points. DT's stat line - 2 points, 1 assist, 3 rebounds, 1 steal. Couldn't have done it without her.

It was officially announced sometime after June 10.

Her Assist/TO ratio around that time was 1.1, which is not good for any guard, let alone one you want to consider an All Star.
2:1 or better is what you want.

So, go compare her stat lines against the other guards thru then and let's see how they stack up.

‘U.S. Olympic women's basketball roster revealed on 'TODAY'​

Share this article on FacebookShare this article on TwitterShare this article over email
icon-text.svg

Ryan Quigley
Jun. 21, 2021 10:43 am ET
(Updated: Oct. 8, 2021 8:00 am ET)’

Arike withdrew from the process so she wouldn’t be the choice.

Can you share the math on the +4 pts, increases?

Is 8.2 to 5.6 a/to better or worse than 2.6 to 2.0?

They beat defending silver medalist Japan today by 26 points. DT's stat line - 2 points, 1 assist, 3 rebounds, 1 steal. Couldn't have done it without her.
So Taurasi was a starter…and scored 2 points. With 1 assist.

Great decision Dawn Staley and USA basketball….

Reactions: TJ8869
Can you share the math on the +4 pts, increases?
Sure

Her pre-selection numbers are ~2 lower than they are now.
Same # of games played before June 11 as after. Ergo, if average #'s "went up" by 2, then to get there they had to "average" 4 more in the 2nd half than the first half

#Math

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT