ADVERTISEMENT

The CC Show....

Why did you only include that 1 stat?
Because someone was pointing out a shooting stat for Taurasi in an Olympic game, which really isn't comparable because the playing time per player is far less.

You guys keep wanting to claim Clark's WNBA numbers justified a Team USA position. They simply did not. In addition to her not trying out.

Why did you only include that 1 stat?
It’s literally the only stat he can find that helps his argument, so he has to pound it into the ground. He hitched his wagon to a lame horse and there’s no turning around for him.

Caitlin Clark scored twice as many points in one game against Team USA as Diana Taurasi has scored in two Olympic games against Japan and Belgium.

What does that stat have to do with her performance up to June 10th, the approximate cutoff for team consideration?

A: NOTHING
It has everything to do with the fact that Taurasi is no longer one of the top 12 players in the league and hasn’t been for several years. With the exception of participating as a member of Team USA, she hasn’t even been selected to a WNBA All-Star game since 2018. She contributed very little to the Olympic team three years ago and so far she’s contributing even less this year.

The only reason she’s still on the team is seniority. She’s selfishly hanging on to a spot that at least 20 other players deserve more than she does and no one associated with Team USA has the balls to tell her ‘no’.

They are virtually the same.

But Taurasi has far fewer TOs in game play.
Pretty sure that CC's Assist/TO ratio has gotten better since those first 10+ games, and will continue to do so.
Far fewer turnovers, far fewer assists. If only there was a ratio for something like that. You know to see who was better at it….. before as you keep pointing out Clark further eclipsed Grandma. So they went from essentially the same, Clark makes a big move to get to the ‘strongly considered’ stage while Grandma was an auto pick because of her vast experience. Wonder how players get experience…..

Reactions: hawkosx
There is

And up to June 10th, their numbers were basically the same on Ast/TO ratio. Which has already been pointed out for you here.
It is your contention that the most important criteria for the selection committee is to put together the team that gives the USA the best opportunity to win a gold medal.

With that in mind, do you believe that Diana Taurasi’s presence on the team gives them a better opportunity to win gold than any other player who would have been eligible to get that spot?

It is your contention that the most important criteria for the selection committee is to put together the team that gives the USA the best opportunity to win a gold medal.
That is how the Olympics work.

CC did not put up solid enough early WNBA numbers to justify a roster spot. Despite your opinion otherwise.

Experience
Leadership
I’ll take that as yes, you believe Taurasi gives Team USA a better shot at gold than any other player who could have been selected for that spot.

I disagree. Exhibit A - 2 games, 2 points, 1 assist.

If experience and leadership are the only things she brings to the table at age 42 then make her an assistant coach. Because there are plenty of younger players who could provide a hell of a lot more production.

There is

And up to June 10th, their numbers were basically the same on Ast/TO ratio. Which has already been pointed out for you here.
Hmm, I did point that out. But one was better than the other. The one with the better ratio and creates more points for the team wasn’t really considered for the team and the player with a worse ratio and creates fewer points for the team was a no doubt about it choice.

Last time I checked scoring more points than the other team was kind of important.

Time to hang your hat on your ‘experience’ premise. The stats were similar with one player being a touch better than the other, at creating points.

I’ll take that as yes, you believe Taurasi gives Team USA a better shot at gold than any other player who could have been selected for that spot.
She has the experience and leadership ability.

CC isn't there yet as a WNBA player - at least she had not yet shown that for a team that was 2-10 (or close to that) and with a stat line that was below most of the Team USA squad.

Last time I checked scoring more points than the other team was kind of important.
Which also means PREVENTING the other team from scoring points.

Defense is not CCs specialty at this point. In fact, she was a bit of a team liability on that early in her rookie season.

She has the experience and leadership ability.

CC isn't there yet as a WNBA player - at least she had not yet shown that for a team that was 2-10 (or close to that) and with a stat line that was below most of the Team USA squad.
Forget about Caitlin Clark for a moment. My question to you is whether you think Taurasi gives Team USA a better shot at winning gold than anyone else who would have been eligible for that spot.

Forget about Caitlin Clark for a moment. My question to you is whether you think Taurasi gives Team USA a better shot at winning gold than anyone else who would have been eligible for that spot.
No

I think Arike would have been a better choice.

But if you want to defend CC's defensive weakness, go for it. Indiana Fever were brutal on D for the first 10-15 games.
And while that wasn't only on Clark, she certainly was no defensive "stopper"

Taurasi is a better defender AINEC right now

Taurasi has been terrible in these Olympics. It would be hard to have worse numbers having started both games. Including her is proving to have been a big mistake.
Especially if they end up losing a game.

Probably

But she's a proven defender at both the WNBA and Olympic level.

Clark is not. Yet.
I really don't understand why you are working so hard to try and justify why Clark isn't very good. Her defense obviously isn't a strong point of her game but it isn't a liability either. Nobody runs an offense like Clark does. There's a reason both Phoenix and New York are actively working really hard to try and get her there as early as next year. I'm not sure how that's possible but it might be that with the new TV deal all contracts are null and void and players like Clark become a restricted free agent. To make the argument that she isn't one of the 12 best players in the league right now or one of the top 3 point guards in the league really is not a strong argument at this point.

Now, you keep going back to the stats at the time the team was chosen and that's just an excuse. Just a little bit of analysis of the circumstances of those stats and any reasonable person would know that she was only going to get better. She had comparable stats despite an insane opening schedule with very little time for the team to practice together. She was already improving and once they had some time to work on some things her improvement was going to accelerate.

There is only one real reason to keep her off the team and that is team chemistry. The older players didn't want her there for....reasons. I can guarantee you that it wasn't because she wasn't good enough. Team chemistry is actually a huge reason as including the wrong player can ruin a team. Team USA made a choice to let the old guard get their 8th gold medal or whatever and take an opportunity away from younger players to get their first (Clark is not the only player that got screwed by this). I guess that's the advantage of being around a while and being friends with all the people in charge. They had the luxury of doing this because the rest of the world just isn't really that close to American women basketball players yet. But the All-Star game wasn't a fluke. The WNBA All-Star team absolutely destroyed the Olympic team and if they played a 7 game series the WNBA All-Stars likely win in a sweep or 4-1. But we will never know and it won't matter because either team would win the Gold medal in Paris and that's the only job Team USA is concerning itself with.

I really don't understand why you are working so hard to try and justify why Clark isn't very good. Her defense obviously isn't a strong point of her game but it isn't a liability either.

She is good

She was not good enough to get on the Olympic team. And her defense (at least in the early part of the WNBA season) was a liability.
She was picking up loads of fouls.

She is good

She was not good enough to get on the Olympic team. And her defense (at least in the early part of the WNBA season) was a liability.
She was picking up loads of fouls.
She had foul trouble in like, 2 or 3 of her early games and it's been pretty smooth sailing since then. What she brings to an offense more than makes up for whatever she gives up on defense.

There is another reason not to take her on the team though. Clark needs to play at a very high pace of play. In fact, one of the concerns people had before the season was her ability to play that fast for an entire game. Especially since she wouldn't be able to take breaks on the defensive end like she did at Iowa. There's some evidence to support this as her 4th quarter play in many games has certainly declined and you can argue it has affected her shot in general contributing to her shooting slump (but she still averages 17 points a game). But that's not the issue. The real problem is there is absolutely zero chance all the old fogies they have on the Olympic team could keep pace with her. They would need to completely overhaul the roster to get a team around her that could succeed. Not just 3 or 4 players, but like 8 of the players would need to be different. I look forward to the next Olympics when they do this. That team will run every other team out of the gym. It will be worse than the Dream team in 1992.

Joe is still on his stats microscope when the truth of the matter is an anvil against the side of his head. That, unfortunately, made him more delusional.

She had foul trouble in like, 2 or 3 of her early games and it's been pretty smooth sailing since then. What she brings to an offense more than makes up for whatever she gives up on defense.
Except she has comparable offense numbers to Taurasi, and weaker defense.

The first impression the OC had of her were games where she was getting into foul trouble early.

Except she has comparable offense numbers to Taurasi, and weaker defense.

The first impression the OC had of her were games where she was getting into foul trouble early.
If that was a factor then they were looking for excuses not to include her. Oh well, what's done is done. They decided to gamble and go with old people. Belgium gave them a run in their most recent game. There is a chance they could get upset in a knockout round. If that happens, there needs to be consequences for the people who decided to not send the best team we possibly could have sent to Paris.

Fouls per 40 minutes through June 10:

Clark - 3.68 (39 fouls in 424 minutes)
Taurasi - 3.97 (35 fouls in 353 minutes)

If that was a factor then they were looking for excuses not to include her. Oh well, what's done is done. They decided to gamble and go with old people. Belgium gave them a run in their most recent game. There is a chance they could get upset in a knockout round. If that happens, there needs to be consequences for the people who decided to not send the best team we possibly could have sent to Paris.
Taurasi’s presence on the roster undermines the selection committee’s rationale for excluding Clark. They argue that increased tv ratings and sponsorships and exposure for the sport aren’t important because they had a sacred duty to assemble a team that gave the USA the best chance at a gold medal.

And they clearly did not do that when they included Taurasi. She is well past her prime and has contributed next to nothing so far. She simply wanted a sixth gold medal and they made an exception and obliged her.

If that was a factor then they were looking for excuses not to include her.
Really?

International play is much more physical, and her defense has not been "stellar".
Fully expect she's going to adjust and be a top-tier WNBA player and Olympian. But the caliber of players today is well above what it was 10-15 yrs ago. Neither she nor Reese were considered for the team. And they will both end up being ROY candidates with AS expectations for most of their careers.

Taurasi’s presence on the roster undermines the selection committee’s rationale for excluding Clark. They argue that increased tv ratings and sponsorships and exposure for the sport aren’t important because they had a sacred duty to assemble a team that gave the USA the best chance at a gold medal.

And they clearly did not do that when they included Taurasi. She is well past her prime and has contributed next to nothing so far. She simply wanted a sixth gold medal and they made an exception and obliged her.
As has already been pointed out to you, she is a better defender than Clark, and has much more experience at the Olympic level.

Reese has just as solid a claim to being on the roster w/ her rebounding prowess.

So, you're asserting it's a "tossup" then.

And the "tie" went to the player w/ Olympic Gold medal experience x4.
It’s not a tossup when you calculate fouls per 40 minutes. The one aspect of her game where Taurasi arguably is still better than Clark is defense. And you pointed out that Clark was “picking up loads of fouls” early in the season. But Taurasi was picking up fouls at an even faster rate. So even in that aspect Taurasi doesn’t have an edge on Clark.

As has already been pointed out to you, she is a better defender than Clark, and has much more experience at the Olympic level.

Reese has just as solid a claim to being on the roster w/ her rebounding prowess.
And as I have pointed out to you multiple times, I’m not simply comparing DT to CC. I’m comparing DT to the many players who would have been a better, more productive addition to Team USA.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT